Ergo Proxy

WOWOW (ended 2006)

deershadow

Ergo Proxy Fan Reviews (15)

• Ergo Proxy is the kind of anime that makes you think; although it appears to be quite slow at first, it does an amazing job of building up the tension and answering one question while giving you a dozen more new unanswered questions at the same time.

The characters appear unusual at first; perhaps even unlikeable. But there is a reason behind this: in Romdo, the futuristic, domed city that is humanity's last means of survival in a ravaged, post-apocalyptic world, citizens are not allowed to show emotion. To show emotion is to understand that something is wrong, and that can lead to questioning yourself and your environment. "Doubting the system is bad. Always obey." Those are the rules one must follow in order to be a Fellow Citizen. However, Re-l, Vincent and Pino soon lt their emotions overcome them; they see Romdo's flaws and lies for what they really are and confront them with their only weapon being the truth. However, lies make people happy. Can they really handle the truth?

This show is deeply philosophical, especially concerning Vincent's inner turmoil and struggle. He is forced to see that he is a man with no past, a man who wears the mask of one who would deny his own fate. His road to self-discovery is deeply felt by the viewer, and the moment he realises the truth is one of the show's climaxes and brilliantly conducted.

I don't want to spoil anything else, but if you're a fan of philosophy, musings, and conspiracy theories, as well as watching characters grow, mature, and fall from grace or rise above it, then this is the show for you. All the information is slowly revealed, and sometimes revealed from the get-go--you just don't realise it until you've connected the dots or seen its conclusion.

I highly recommend it.

• simply great

Ergo Proxy is a fantastic anime, I really like the dark sci-fi suspense kind of anime. It's a pretty decent anime that I recommend, it has an awesome storyline. Ergo Proxy starts with Ri Mayer investigating some murders with her AutoReiv partner Iggy. In Ergo Proxy, the story is set in a world were humans and AutoReivs coexist peacefully, but meanwhile, the government has been developping experiments on humanoids, that are called Proxy (Proxy's are believed to hold the key to save the humanity). Ri discovers that the murders have something to do with the Proxy's and starts investigating about it. I won't spoil anymore, but this anime is pretty good and it's very enjoyable. I loved the animation itself, it's flawless in my opinion.
  • A fairly decent show...

this is a interesting show that has a intriguing plot. There are cities (in domes to protect them from the outside atmosphere) sprinkled throughout this post apocalyptic world. The story goes on as the main character goes on a quest to find out more about the proxy things. This is a great show, but one of its biggest problems is that its a slow paced show. Also there will be episodes that are totally random and feel like all its there for it to fill up space. Also you can tell that the budget was lacking since the animation is weird sometimes. Characters don't look right at times. Overall its worth your time.
  • its a good puzzle anime like dot hack code geass and deathnote

From what I've seen so far most of the characters are on genius level intelegence. Most of the main characters are interesting and have funny quirks about them. the main character is named vincent. He doesn't always think ahead and just lucks out every once in a while. Like in the ep where that demon was killing all those people in with the helicopter. I love how deep the storys plot is. The first episode was really funny too.
    all in all one of the best puzzle animes i've seen. Spiral was good too but its over now. My fave ep so far out of the few I've seen is when he arrives at that base with the hellicopter and fights seddix sp? It was so cute the way pino kept on saying bit by bit. She's so luvable.
    I like how gaara's va sings the opening and is the va for vincent.
  • A good puzzle anime as it's been dubbed. The story a twisting maze with a nice payoff at the end and the show mainly focusing on character and world

A good puzzle anime as it's been dubbed. The story a twisting maze with a nice payoff at the end and the show mainly focusing on character and world development. Starting the show with a monster attacking the main character but pulling it's punches was a good touch. From that moment forward we're left with a mystery as to what is going on. Though jarring imagery of a child in a box we learn of a world with almost human robot helpers. These AI so advanced as to have human emotions the one of self preservation being the downfall of their human masters. Other than Re-l being attacked at the beginning and our learning she's the granddaughter of one of the founders of this society. We have love lorn Vincent and the way his character plays out was a well done mix of chaos and fun. Finding that the monster was him all along and his true purpose is to destroy man and rebuild the world was the fatalistic anime ending we loved. Ergo Proxy has the distinction of not getting lost in it's layers. Even though each episode can be almost stand alone and each episode till the end presents more mystery. The artwork and payoff are worth any head scratching moments you may incur.
  • Ergo Proxy is an interesting, awesome filled packed anime, with a unique storyline, and characters that you just don't wanna stop watching!

In a world called Romdo, humans and anroids(Entourages)co-exist in a seemingly "perfect world". When the cogito virus threatens the utopia, Re-L Mayer investigates a series of murders. Unable to back away from the mysertious deaths, ignored problems arosing the mystery of the Proxies she teams up with Vincent Law, an immagrant from Mosk, and Pino, a Cogito infected AutoReiv, as they venture outside the dome. Here they hope to understand more about the world, the so called "Proxies" and their reson detra.

Ergo Proxy has a unique psychological thriller type storyline (so for those people who just want to laze back watching anime with out much thought for what is actually going on, this probably isn't the best choice for you). Although it has a slow first few episodes, it soon falls into place, as clues are left to discover the truth behind why everything as is as it is. Some people may say its too slow and you can't really get the jist of it, well that depends. Give it a try and don't worry if you have to watch it more than once to understand (its not that complex though).

Ergo Proxy has alot going for it, from suspenseful music, to unique and well portrayed characters plus an interesting story line. The characters of Ergo Proxy, from the humans to the AutoRievs, they have developed their personalities and styles well, making them lovable, funny and totally awesome. To top that they have made some characters have pyshcological problems in some instances. The script is addictive too, as the some of the characters have awesome lines and suits the characters well, it isn't over the top or too soft that it isn't believable.

So if your looking, for an action and pychological thriller, mixed in with fun and kick ass characters than Ergo Proxy is your kind of anime!
  • Started out as a mystery, continued as a mystery, ended with wtf?!

7.3
    Animes with slow starts for the first 6 or 7 episodes are usually the ones that turn out to be classics. After establishing the world and characters, it revs up to the point you continue to watch it until the very last episode. That is not the case with Ergo Proxy. It started off slow, was packed with fillers in the middle that only minimally contributed to the mysterious storyline, and ended with a half assed conclusion to the story.

Romdo is a secluded city where robots called autoraves are servants for humans. Though a virus called the congito virus is going around infecting these autoraves who suddenly receive the judgement and consciousness of a human. Other mysteries are going around, such as a monster killing both autoraves and humans. Real is sent out to investigate this case and is attacked in her very own home by this monster. She pins her investigation on Vincent Law, who for some reason the monster is targeting.

At first glance you expect Ergo Proxy to be another metaphorical anime detailing about human society through a post apocalyptic world. While others may see it like that, that really is not the case. Ergo Proxy follows its own storyline and ends it with its own storyline with little philosophical discussion. The thing is the storyline is really not that good. The main characters, Real Mayor, Vincent Law, and an autorave infected with congito named Pino, venture out from Romdo and discover what the world is like outside of their dome. Though after the 9th or so episode, the story really does not progress that much. There are little bits of information that are released continually, but not enough to compensate for its very very very slow pacing, and that is not good at all considering the beginning was a bit slow in itself. There is way too much filler and half assed character development scenarios that it almost makes Ergo Proxy a struggle to watch.

The ending does not do much to help its cause. It felt like it ended for the sake of ending. If executed better the ending would have felt more complete, but instead we get what feels like a forced ending glued on to a poorly executed story.

And there really isn't that much action. To its credit whatever action was there was mildly entertaining because of some good productions and great quality sounds to compliment, but there isn't enough of it to help cover the gap of what the storyline failed to cover.

Fortunately what Ergo Proxy does best is its characters. The infected autoraves have some really interesting and unique personalities, and there are some interesting backstories to some of the humans, especially the council governing Romdo. Pino is a pretty interesting character herself. Though while it does do a good job with character development, it does too much of it that it creates a slow pace for the entire anime, and it actually becomes a detriment.

Not to say that the anime is bad. The setting of Ergo Proxy is one of the better post apocalyptic worlds I've seen, and the characters are pretty interesting themselves. Give this project to a more quality and credible director(s) and Ergo Proxy would have the potential to be an all time classic. That is not the case and all that we have in front of us is wasted potential barred by poor direction, incredibly slow pacing, excessive character development, and an overall lack of better execution.
  • In a post-apocalyptic world, enclaves of humanity eek out survival under the illusion of modern utopia. The illusion hides the Orwellian tyranny that the elite enforce on others and the dehumanizing hegemony that strips humanity of emotion.

7.8
    Ergo Proxy ended up as a disappointment for me. This is not to suggest that the show wasn't good, but I'll suggest that it wasn't as good as it should have been. I had a very political interpretation of the plot and storyline of Ergo Proxy. Here are my likes… The first thing that really jumps out is how unusual and grim the animation is; even before the first main plot dialogue begins, the animation itself sets the tone. The animation is dark, grainy, devoid of contrasting color. I liked the symbolism – a world without color is a world without emotion (or perhaps visa vs.) …and a world without a future. Real's blue eye-shadow gives the primary correlation. The subtext on social control and tyranny is poignant to contemporary political issues. There is an interesting transcendental message in reference to the level of technology: the more advanced a society becomes, the weaker, less adaptive its individuals become. This is a very grim picture of the future of humanity. The show started off very strong and drew me in quickly as I began to relate to the main characters of Real and Vincent…and even Pino…each of whom rebels against the social structure and oppression to regain their individual identity, their sense of humanity. Unfortunately, about halfway through the series, the storyline seems to ricochet into a different trajectory. At this point, the plots seems to employ humor and innuendo instead of dialogue and story development to fuel the rest of the series. It is at this point, this show drops from a 9.5 down to the 7.8 I rated above. The last few episodes become disjointed as the plot finally unfolds and it becomes easy to get lost in the imagery and conflicting messages. There were a few episodes later in the series that dampened my enthusiasm…I'd probably rate this high if I had just totally skipped the game show and amusement park episodes entirely…watching these two eps, I had to wonder if I was having a psychotic break with reality. Who knows?...maybe I was.
  • Puzzel anime shows are good and always keep you guessing but they can get boring.

From what I've seen so far most of the characters are on genius level intelegence. Most of the main characters are interesting and have funny quirks about them. Its sucks that i haven't seen any of the eps in order. I've only seen 5 eps and they were all scattered. they don't have any on youtube. I can't believe it took me so long to figure out that vincent has gaara's voice off of pokemon. He doesn't always think ahead and just lucks out every once in a while. Like in the ep where that demon was killing all those people. I love how deep the storys plot is. The first episode was really funny too.
  • Anime is now on Fuse

one of the greatest anime on fuse my favorite charater is Pino because she the only child in this anime I hope this & the other anime on fuse dosn't get pulled & end up like G4's action Blast I serily hope it dosen't because we need good anime like this not the artifial anime like Bleach [also from Willam Steet along with this & Tenhjo Tenge] oh fuse keep it up.
  • A great show with an interesting look at the future.

When I read the synopsis of this show,I said " I have to see this!". I am a big fan of sci-fi but I am also a new fan of anime. The setting of the dome city of Romdo is an interesting one. In this dome city, Humans and Auto-reivs (androids) live in a society under goverment control. Immigrants must work hard to become " fellow citzens". Ergo Proxy is the story of Vincent Law,a immigrant who repairs auto-rievs. Another main character of the show is Re-l Mayer,a female detective of the intelligence bureau. Her last case involves a mystery creature known as a proxy. As the progresses Vincent and Re-l meet and their lives change forever. The animation style of Ergo Proxy is a combination of 2D animation,some 3D animation,and computer effects. It fits the subject matter of the anime. The desolate wasteland outside Romdo has a erie beauty to it. Not a ton of action but the characters of this show will draw you in. The music is also a highlight and a perfect fit for the show. A stroke of genius from the show's creators to use Radiohead's " Paranoid Android" as the closing theme of the show. Even though it wasn't written specifficly for the show, It seems like it fits the show. If you are a fan of sci-fi anime, Check out Ergo Proxy.
  • One of the best sci-fi horror anime shows you'll ever see.

I saw "Ergo Proxy" and I said to myself that it's so awesome. The characters were well made. Plus it's about some girl who does murder investigations. The best part about this show is that it has these ferocious demons and they're responsible for the victims deaths. I just found out about FUSE's anime hour from the internet and the best program from the anime hour is "Ergo Proxy" the #1 series ever. This is one heck of a true series for all anime fans worldwide. Makes you want to keep watching this show nonstop until the series come to an end.
  • This is what Blade Runner should have been. Yeah, I know, you probably think Blade Runner is a great flick. This is better. Way better.

Run, don't walk to the video store when the episodes are released. In my city, they sell out in about 2 days and the local stores struggle to increase their inventory. It is that engrossing.

The show takes you on a spiritual journey and asks 'what am I?' It may not have your answer, but it will get you engaging in finding out who or what you really are, as well as who is behind those eyes next to you.

This show will let you experience all the radical skeptisism and postmodern philosophies of Husserl, Heidegger, Hegel, and Derrida to name a few. The show explores Existentialism in a vey engaging and entertaining manner. It is an education that will challange your beliefs about what it means to be a human being. (It may be very disturbing and unsettling to some or just outright confusing.) You will not need a degree in Philosophy to understand the show. The show allows you to experience what the postmodern philosophers struggled with since the turn of the 19th century. If you do have the backround however, you may have fun picking out all the classic argeuments the show engages in.
  • Review

In a world where humans and robots live together, there exists a domed city named "Romdeau". Under full management control, it is a paradise which does not need feelings. But this utopian landscape is soon broken by a series of mystifying murders. Real Mayar, a female inspector from the Citizen Information Board, is tasked to solve the murder cases. As she digs deeper, she is soon entangled into the mystery of the "Awakening", which will change her life, and the lives living in Romdeau... forever.
  • This show is great.

Ergo Proxy is an animated Japanese show directed by Shukou Murase for Manglobe Entertainment. Humans and androids live together in a utopian society devoid of emotion within a giant dome known as "Romdeau." There is a virus called "cogito" that infects the android inhabitants and causes them to exhibit emotions and personalities, which wreaks havoc on the idyllic society. Police inspectors Re-l Mayer and Vincent Law are called in to investigate a series of killings that lead them into an encounter with a monstrous "proxy."
    This is a decent show I used to watch it on youtube and it was really cool and violent and dramatic too.