Escaflowne Forums

FOX (ended 2001)

An awsome show

The_Rebell

[1]Jul 13, 2006
    • level: 1
    Escaflowne was an awsome show.  Some of the other anime shows are great for growing up with but Escaflowne you can watch all the time.  Such as a lot of the other shows were great when you were younger but now they make you feel that its an embaressment.  Escaflowne is not the same way.  Perhaps there is disagreement?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Clipsed

[2]Jul 14, 2006
    • level: 10
    I actually agree entirely; I haven't watched a single anime program since I was in fourth grade, the exception being Escaflowne.

sheffin

[3]Feb 23, 2007
    Without a doubt the best anime, and also the smartest storyline. I also agree that you can appreciate more when your older, but the greatness of this show is that even when I young I loved it. Shows like that are really special,  I am angry however that this show gets no recognition compared to all the other animes, which I think are inferior.

joeybrandojones

[4]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 13
    Yeah, I'm really hooked to this show (just finished episode

btw, theres 2 kinds of dubs right?

DarkCloudOvrhd

[5]Apr 6, 2007
    If you mean that it's dubbed in two different languages for like the DVDs (Japanese and English), then yes.  If you mean two different English dubs, then no.  There's only one.  When FOX aired the show several years back, it was heavily edited, but they still used the dub that's on the uncut DVDs.

YamiNarutoBrief

[6]May 19, 2007
    • level: 42
    sheffin wrote:
    Without a doubt the best anime, and also the smartest storyline. I also agree that you can appreciate more when your older, but the greatness of this show is that even when I young I loved it. Shows like that are really special,  I am angry however that this show gets no recognition compared to all the other animes, which I think are inferior.

agreed. not only is the storyline well written, but the music is also exceptional (both the movie and the series). and there's a character for everyone to like. It wasnt until recently that i stumbled across it and i love it.....(btw, its the sub i'm watching.....sub of animes are better than dub i also recently found out for myself)

NeoDreamslayer

[7]Oct 28, 2007
    • level: 29
    Some people would dispute that my friend. I personally like both the subs and the dub. Sometimes the dub is more funny I agree but I really don't care that much. I like to watch both and compare. Just watching it in english is interesting and cool because it is in your language lol. Anyway I think it would be awesome if they started it up again, even for a short time. The best thing they could do is make a second season.

*Sniff* it makes me sad because I know it will never happen

linagabriev

[8]Jan 16, 2008
    • level: 27

I suppose I'll be the only disagreeing party then. I just finished the anime last night and just went on here to see opinions on it. I was mostly extremely dissatisfied with this anime. I think the only time I didn't groan with how corny or predictable (in a bad way) the anime was, was with the character Dilandau, although I didn't completely like him at first. In the beginning he was just too "mua ha ha" for me.

Spoilers

Trying to avoid saying any but I might. The following is mostly a rant not really meant to offend any real people. Allen's character was mostly my off point for the show. His whole character really annoyed me. Van's whole "shinji" (evangelion) fit ticked me off for a bit as well. And Hitomi, who while I understand why she didn't want to help or to be seen as a tool, I guess I just have a problem when the guy says run away, and the heroine does EVERY single time. Granted, she is a track star, but seriously, unless the situation seems like she will not be helpful (and she could have been at some points), she should not just leave and let the "men" take care of it. Merle is a interesting addition, athough her cat burgulary really ticked me off. And while Hitomi didn't want to get close to Allen for a point using Millerna as an excuse, she got close to Val without any account for Merle's feelings. The ending had an extremely corny feel to it, but that's okay. It was meant for girls, seeing as "love" is the thing that will save the world. "Blah blah woof woof"

This is spoilers...!

I could have actually liked the anime though if the ending had been less frustrating. I mean, she goes home, and they can see each other whenever they want...sure. But I mean it is obvious that if they want to be together she will join him in his world, not the other way around. Yet she goes back and finishes school, and I suppose it is a sweet ending. But I don't know, I would have thought she would have stayed with him and helped rebuild Fanellia together. I mean, if she was the kind of character who had a goal or someone she talked of often to go back to her world (other than her old crush and her best friend). I mean, I guess the anime would have ended better for me if she found a way to say goodbye to her mother (and unseen father and brother) and stayed in Gaea. I would have been satisfied with the anime just for its ending, and I wasn't. It is cute...but not beautiful. Well I'm off to see the anime movie. Hopefully, seeing as that has no connection to the anime really, will have a better plot, character development, and ending.

Edited on 01/16/2008 1:41pm

maya14belle

[9]Jan 20, 2008
    • level: 8
    linagabriev wrote:

I suppose I'll be the only disagreeing party then. I just finished the anime last night and just went on here to see opinions on it. I was mostly extremely dissatisfied with this anime. I think the only time I didn't groan with how corny or predictable (in a bad way) the anime was, was with the character Dilandau, although I didn't completely like him at first. In the beginning he was just too "mua ha ha" for me.

Spoilers

Trying to avoid saying any but I might. The following is mostly a rant not really meant to offend any real people. Allen's character was mostly my off point for the show. His whole character really annoyed me. Van's whole "shinji" (evangelion) fit ticked me off for a bit as well. And Hitomi, who while I understand why she didn't want to help or to be seen as a tool, I guess I just have a problem when the guy says run away, and the heroine does EVERY single time. Granted, she is a track star, but seriously, unless the situation seems like she will not be helpful (and she could have been at some points), she should not just leave and let the "men" take care of it. Merle is a interesting addition, athough her cat burgulary really ticked me off. And while Hitomi didn't want to get close to Allen for a point using Millerna as an excuse, she got close to Val without any account for Merle's feelings. The ending had an extremely corny feel to it, but that's okay. It was meant for girls, seeing as "love" is the thing that will save the world. "Blah blah woof woof"

This is spoilers...!

I could have actually liked the anime though if the ending had been less frustrating. I mean, she goes home, and they can see each other whenever they want...sure. But I mean it is obvious that if they want to be together she will join him in his world, not the other way around. Yet she goes back and finishes school, and I suppose it is a sweet ending. But I don't know, I would have thought she would have stayed with him and helped rebuild Fanellia together. I mean, if she was the kind of character who had a goal or someone she talked of often to go back to her world (other than her old crush and her best friend). I mean, I guess the anime would have ended better for me if she found a way to say goodbye to her mother (and unseen father and brother) and stayed in Gaea. I would have been satisfied with the anime just for its ending, and I wasn't. It is cute...but not beautiful. Well I'm off to see the anime movie. Hopefully, seeing as that has no connection to the anime really, will have a better plot, character development, and ending.

MERLE WAS THE SELFISH ONE, NOT HITOMI!!! Merle thought in the beginning that Hitomi was trying to steal Van from her, even though Hitomi back then was in love with Amano. MERLE IS THE JERK, NOT HITOMI!!! Anyway, in the end though, it was Merle who encouraged Van to admit his feelings for Hitomi.

Ultimate_Critic

[10]Jan 31, 2008
    • level: 12
    Only linagabriev seems to have any sense here.

Were we even watching the same show? Have any of you ever seen Cowboy Bebop? This is NOT a good anime, this is good animation at best but everything else is dreadful.

After the first episode, I was filled with joyful anticipation having seen swords, a dragon and blood. To be honest - those were the only reasons I watched this series to the end (to my dismay).

So many self-righteous, fickle, contradicting and hypocritical characters to count, with Hitomi at the head, I can't even start.

I don't understand how the rest of you managed to continue watching after the 'Luck Enhancement Unit'... I sigh just remembering it. The entire premiss of their 'science' was awful (you can get over most animes alterations on the laws of nature (I enjoy explaining things by saying 'Oh... it's because of magic) but this was ridiculous). Sure, you can create a machine that changes fate, blood out of 'luck' genes, a power source out of a dragon's heart, invisibility cloaks, liquid metal swords and giant robots yet you can't give your ground troops one itsy bitsy little gun?? An air rifle?? A chance??

At times I thought it was a poor attempt at an anime soap opera. Seriously guys... if you enjoyed this, simply look up ANY list of anime to watch for an experience which will blow this one out of the water.

Disclaimer: I saw the dubbed version so apologise if they altered the story dramatically for the western market and it originally wasn't as sh1t as it is now.

DarkCloudOvrhd

[11]Jan 31, 2008
    Sounds like all you're interested in is action. I've seen Bebop, plus a ton of other anime, and Escaflowne still ranks amongst my top favorite series. Bebop's got plenty of style, but not a heck of a lot of substance in my eyes, which is why I consider it a very good, but not quite great series. The main issue I have with it that keeps me from holding it in reverence is that it doesn't really have any kind of continuing storyline going for it outside of a couple of episodes towards the middle and end.

Escaflowne on the other hand has a very engrossing and well-thought out plot line that continues relentlessly pushing the story forward from one episode to the next. For this reason, it's one of the only shows I have a very hard time stopping with at any point once I get started watching it. It's also one of the few series I've been able to have great fun participating in long in-depth discussions about, as I've found it to have a tremendous amount of depth to explore.

KingofIPirates

[12]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 32
    Apart from the lovey dubby scenes it was rather pretty good.