Eureka Seven

Blue Monday

Aired Sunday 1:00 AM Apr 15, 2006 on Adult Swim

• The start of Renton Thurston's transformation from a dull, boring child to a true hero. Overall, this first episode could have been better.

While I completely love "Eureka Seven", the first episode could have been better. It is true that it is always hard to find a way to start any form of story,and that the audience must be able to both be interested and know the foundations for the tale. I agree that this first episode did an overall good job of explaining Renton's views of life, the fact that Holland has some past issue with Axel, and that Eureka is rather on the strange side. The fact that Renton threw himself off the cliff to deliver the Amita Drive and his timidness towards Eureka does an excellent job at establishing the affection he holds towards Eureka which will later turn to true love. What I think may have been missing is perhaps more action (yes, I know that we do see some and the way the lfos fight near the end) and perhaps deeper meaning into what the characters were saying/thinking. Times such as when Axel delivers the Amita Drive to Renton and others lack explanation. However, as that is the first episode, we can't expect much but a broad overview of things to come. Overall it was a beautiful first episode that did a good job of establishing foundations for later adventures. It may have been missing an extremely small portion of things, but is nonetheless spectacular.