Eureka

A New World

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Jul 16, 2010 on Syfy

• Brave New World

What if is always a question we think about sometimes. We never can truely know how our live s can truely change or be affected if we've made a different choice whether it's good or bad. But what if you had that opportunity to see it, would you be able to live with it?

This is another favorate episode of mine. Once again they do the same thing like with the film "Back to the Future 2" which is going into an alternate present. I'll admit starting from scratch again is always a risky move because it's something that can't always be done once you've reached a certain length and covered practically all the bases, but for this show it actually works because it actually opens up new possibilites and new ground of development for the charcters.

There really are a lot of facinating changes and concepts. I love the fact that they actually brought back some characters like we see that Tess is back which is great, I really like the chemestry between both Carter and her. One of my favorate moments was seeing that robot Tess was working on which looked like one of the Tachcoma mechs from the anime series "Ghost in the Shell". And Andy the android is also back as the Sheriff's deputy. Which is cool I really did like that character despite only one episode, he kinda reminds me of Herme from "Get Smart". I even like the new character Dr. Trevor Grant (James Calis) whom is a smart as Nathan only he has a bit more persona, like his magnitism to the ladies from that fact I'm liking this guy already, I just hope he pan out in the long run.

And there are some major changes, one is seeing Fargo as the head of GD, I'll admit that one is a big streach but I get the feeling that Fargo is going to learn the hard way running GD is a lot harder than he thinks. But I would also like to know how he got the promotion and what he's done to GD. Though I was a little disapointed his significant other Julia got written off, not that that's a big deal I know the relationship between the two characters wasn't a big deal may'be they just couldn't fit it in to the storyline I don't know but I just thought it was a bit of a lost opportunity the Julia character I felt had some potential to be built on, but oh well this is just a minor complant.

However one change which I thought was sad was with Jo and Zane whom are now back at square one just when Jo was ready to take the next step. Though I wouldn't say it's all sad due to the new position Jo is in, hope it won't cramp her style. But most of all I'm hoping we will see Jo and Zane recconect because their my favorate couple in the show, they have good chemestry that would be shameful to lose.

Though I'll admit the ending gave me a bit of a sad feeling, for one thing they have to keep the fact their from an alternate Eureka (which is the one we've known before)because of some secuity protocal (damnit why did they have to write the rule book so well.) but worst of all they can't come back even if they want to. It really make me wonder about how different the alternate Eureka is, who know how much their lives have changed.

Everyday choices truely creates brand new worlds.
  • It is indeed a new world... and I like it!

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

I have noted before and often that I am not a fan of time travel. But if it has to be done, then this is the way I like it, and is the only way that makes sense to me: that when incidents in the past are changed, it alters the original timeline. The time travel stories I hate are the ones that involve paradoxes of any kind. I prefer Back to the Future II's temporal theory to that offered by Bill and Ted (and don't even get me started on the morass if inconsistency that is The Terminator chronology). None of this "I guess I DID steal my Dad's keys" or somehow being the cause of your own conception. I like pure, straightforward, someone steps on a butterfly and now dinosaurs still rule the Earth. It gives me way less of a headache.

Which is why I'm gonna roll with this Mirror Universe Eureka quite happily, 'cause for all that time travel annoys the hell out of me, at least they're doing it right. Of course, Eureka has done the alternate timeline thing before, when Henry, distraught over the loss of the love of his life, changed the course of human events in order to bring her back from the dead and then almost caused the fabric of the universe to unravel entirely.

So... ah, are we worried about that, here, at all? Apparently, not too much. So, okay.

So much is different in this alternate timeline (Fargo and Jo have new jobs, Carter and Tess are still together, Henry's married, Alison's son Kevin is no longer autistic), but, as Henry and Carter note: "The more things change..." "... the more they stay the same."

This week's disaster starts out with Tess's pet project going awry.(It's a huge mechanoid spider-like thing, and is pretty much the coolest looking experiment to ever go awry in this town of awry-going experimentation.) The problem is, of course, caused by Fargo, and fixed by Henry and Carter -- with a little assistance from the cause of all these parallel dimension shenanigans, 1947 runaway Dr. Trevor Grant.

We end with three certainties. The alternate timeline is here to stay, the six affected parties -- Carter, Alison, Jo, Fargo, Henry and Grant -- have to keep their adventure a secret (to avoid being "isolated and sanctioned" by the military), and Jack and Tess are moving in together. Hmmm. Look forward to seeing where you go with all this, Eureka! It really is quite ingenious. But really, no less than I'd expect from America's smartest little town.
  • Great reprising roles (Spoilers ahead)

I loved this episode, especially the return of sheriff Andy. That guy really cracks me up, especially when he called Carter out on his attempt to find out what had changed in the alternate timeline.
    But seriously - a great episode. The balance has been jumbled, which is very great to see. Especially Fargo taking advantage of his promotion (and bullying Larry with crazy suggestions). I also like the new dimension in the Zane-Jo connection, him being obnoxious as ever. It makes him a better character, but I liked him more when he was with Jo. They are so sweet together! Luckily, Jo's life isn't completely miserable. And dr. Grant is a wonderful addition here, it brings back a bit of the old Nathan and Carter bickering. I like it that the five big characters of Eureka take eveything in stride, even being thrown into the 1940's and back in an alternate timeline. That is the strength of Eureka, it's refreshing to see. Big plus for me also is Kevin, who can show what he's worth by playing two such different characters. It's a good way to shake things up for the coming season, and I would like to see what happens. I'm intrigued by it, since none of the changes are too destructive to what they've built over the years. I'm certain Jo will win Zane back. And I must say - great way to give Jo a possible promotion. I like the addition of dr. Grant to the cast (maybe I'm preliminary and it will reverse back next episode, but I don't think so). And Martha as a security enforcer! Brilliant. The only thing I'm not so certain about... Fargo being head of GD? What the - ?
    Well, in short, I loved this episode.