Eureka Forums

Syfy (ended 2012)

5x12 - Double Take (Spoilers)

layle1

[1]Jul 9, 2012
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for discussion of the episode "Double Take."
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

thechiwawa

[2]Jul 9, 2012
    • level: 5
    so...it's the NPC from the matrix that is body-jacking everyone...

not "someone" (i still don't believe it's Wen)

thribs

[3]Jul 10, 2012
    • level: 8

Nice episode. Anyone else notice that Lord of the Rings homage?

Hopefully they will address that scene from the first episode in the final one.

DanielRichards0

[4]Jul 10, 2012
    • level: 7
    thribs wrote:

Yup total LTR moment with Allison and NPC Carter.

But, are the writers just trying to piss off the fans with Holly, so far she has been KILLED, zwave "saved" in the matrix, pulled out of the matrix, dieing again because her "program" is breaking down, saved with bioprinted body, nearly killed again by whatever it was that was making her think they where still in the matrix, Saved with a reset by Zane, body jacked by NCP as they take over the town and now memory of GD wiped from Zwave pocket bomb so now we have a Holly that is like Sarah at the end of the Chuck series. You know what I'm just gonna say it, F U writers do Fargo and Holly really not deserve a happy ending after all this crap has happened, is tha really so much to ask for?

kanniballl

[5]Jul 10, 2012
    • level: 18

To be honest, I thought they were going to pull the "Lose all memories of Eureka" bit when Holly was going crazy and they had to "reboot" her brain. So I wasn't surprised they did it here. I also thought we'd see/hear Fargo drop a reference to the Bionic Woman... who's backstory was similar. She was saved but lost all of her memories of Steve.

That being said: for the home stretch of Eureka's final episodes... the writers did focus on her too much. I love Felicia Day, but if a show is on its last 1/2-season then maybe focus more on the core characters and less on the newcomer that arrived last year. I'm not saying ignore her entirely, but she was the focus of way too many episodes.

Heck, give Vincent his own episode... they guy's been around since day 1 the the most the writers gave him was the B-story of an episode where he was running for mayor and later finding out he was the accidental antagonist in the holiday special (death by fruit cake).

Edited on 07/10/2012 5:55am
    Edited 2 total times.

ltcomstella

[6]Jul 10, 2012

agree to much chuck influence

writers can suck ma ballsthen gtfo...

just shows again and again the lack of originality in these shows.. one ep left and we will be left wanting more and not all questions are going to be answered, total bullhooks

not a bad ep but how else to end eureka close it down and kick everyone out writers you are re=tarded

kanniballl

[7]Jul 10, 2012

thribs wrote:

I think they will.

From the teasers next week, it looks like Zoe is back. And there's a scene with the two of them driving in a car looking all excited. And wormholes + spatial anomolies are appearing, so that might explain the "how"

It would be a nice book end to the series, them waving at their past selves while they're entering.

A teaser they showed before the season (not last night) ALSO showed something cool that I imagine will be happening in the finale. Hint: it involves a character we haven't seen in a while.

-

Edited on 07/10/2012 10:18am
    Edited 2 total times.

thribs

[8]Jul 10, 2012
    • level: 8

kanniballl wrote:

thribs wrote:

I think they will.

From the teasers next week, it looks like Zoe is back. And there's a scene with the two of them driving in a car looking all excited. And wormholes + spatial anomolies are appearing, so that might explain the "how"

It would be a nice book end to the series, them waving at their past selves while they're entering.

A teaser they showed before the season (not last night) ALSO showed something cool that I imagine will be happening in the finale. Hint: it involves a character we haven't seen in a while.

-

Just saw it and it was good. I'm just happy they mentioned it. The return of Taggart was also cool!

benjaminmuller

[9]Jul 10, 2012
    • level: 1

thribs wrote:

The were so many homages .. not only "LOTR" ... When Alyson is hiding from jack .. "Predator" ... then "Come out come out where ever you are" .. "The Faculty" .. have to see the episode again to get them all .. but I was laughing a lot, the writers are great (and DO know their movies).

doctorwho747

[10]Jul 10, 2012

Am I the only one who read last year that when the cancellation was announced the fifth season of 13 episodes had just finished filming and to make up for it there was gonna be an additional 14th episode which would be the finale?

kanniballl

[11]Jul 11, 2012

doctorwho747 wrote:

Am I the only one who read last year that when the cancellation was announced the fifth season of 13 episodes had just finished filming and to make up for it there was gonna be an additional 14th episode which would be the finale?

I'd read it too. And I think it was an OK episode.

I just think that even in general they spent too much time on Holly this season. Even if they didn't know it was going to be the last season, they spent a LOT of time on their guest-star-of-the-season. Not too mention, they kept recycling the death / survival thing too many times in a season.

=============

- They killed her in The Matrix (sad)

=============

- They brought her back as an AI (happy)

=============

- They think she died again saving Fargo and Carter (sad)

- Henry saves her and brings her back as a Holly-gram (happy)

=============

- She's dying again, Fargo looks horrible and plays lots of D&D. Zane promises to help. (sad)

=============

- They fix her hologram form and THEN try to build her a new body (happy)

=============

- They build her a new body (happy some more)

- She's dying again AND going crazy in her new body (sad)

- She's fixed, happy, and "very bendy" as she puts it. (happy)

=============

- She soon becomes "evil" and some viewers thought she was replaced by Wynn and technically dead again (sad)

=============

- She's fixed (it was always Holly) and good again, but loses her memories of Fargo (killed-a-puppy-sad)

=============

That's a LOT of lazy writing in my opinion. She's almost "died" as much as Rory from "Doctor Who" and THAT'S saying something.

Ignoring her initial death scene, that's 7 out of 13episodes where she was either dying, trying to be saved, or the main villain. So half of the episodes in a season revolved around her in some form or another.

It's one thing to say "the entire town of Eureka is about to blow up... again" or "Carter is in a dangerous situation trying to save the planet... again" It's another to keep going on the see-saw on such a new character, all around the same event, while trying to pull at our emotional strings.

Once = Great

Twice = OK

3+ times = SERIOUSLY?!?!?

Again, I love Felicia Day. She's cute, quirky, and always has awesome lines in her shows / appearances. I just think it was a bit much.

Edited on 07/11/2012 6:10am
    Edited 7 total times.

ltcomstella

[12]Jul 11, 2012

apparantly rory and amy pond spoiler (starts here).........................die..............................................(spoiler ends)in the next doctor who season...

Edited on 07/11/2012 4:39pm

MatthewRaiche

[13]Jul 13, 2012
    I didn't catch this LOTR reference that has been mentioned a few times. What was it?

I did like the nod to Blade Runner (the use of the word "replicant" to describe the physical NPCs).

kanniballl

[14]Jul 13, 2012

MatthewRaiche wrote:
    I didn't catch this LOTR reference that has been mentioned a few times. What was it? I did like the nod to Blade Runner (the use of the word "replicant" to describe the physical NPCs).

I *think* they mean when Allison is hiding at the base of a big tree, the camera pans to Evil Jack and who is quietly and carefully looking around. And at the last minute decides to check Allison's tree... but she mysteriously disappeared. Which is a tough thing to do when evil peeps are just steps away.

A similar scene happened in LOTR. Frodo and his group are hiding from the ring wraiths. They hide behind a tree and done a slight dirt mound. The Wraits sense the ring nearby and are quietly and carefully looking around. At the last minute they decide to check the area where we last saw Frodo... but he mysteriously disappeared. Which is a tough thing to do when evil peeps are just steps away.

MatthewRaiche

[15]Jul 14, 2012
    Ah, I see. That was pretty subtle.

danharr

[16]Jul 15, 2012
    • level: 45

About the only thing they did right was making it not Wen the cause of all this trouble. The ending Eureka is closing with storm troopers and all marching down the street lol.

doctorwho747

[17]Jul 16, 2012
    kanniballl wrote:

doctorwho747 wrote:

I'd read it too. And I think it was an OK episode.

I just think that even in general they spent too much time on Holly this season. Even if they didn't know it was going to be the last season, they spent a LOT of time on their guest-star-of-the-season. Not too mention, they kept recycling the death / survival thing too many times in a season.

=============

- They killed her in The Matrix (sad)

=============

- They brought her back as an AI (happy)

=============

- They think she died again saving Fargo and Carter (sad)

- Henry saves her and brings her back as a Holly-gram (happy)

=============

- She's dying again, Fargo looks horrible and plays lots of D&D. Zane promises to help. (sad)

=============

- They fix her hologram form and THEN try to build her a new body (happy)

=============

- They build her a new body (happy some more)

- She's dying again AND going crazy in her new body (sad)

- She's fixed, happy, and "very bendy" as she puts it. (happy)

=============

- She soon becomes "evil" and some viewers thought she was replaced by Wynn and technically dead again (sad)

=============

- She's fixed (it was always Holly) and good again, but loses her memories of Fargo (killed-a-puppy-sad)

=============

That's a LOT of lazy writing in my opinion. She's almost "died" as much as Rory from "Doctor Who" and THAT'S saying something.

Ignoring her initial death scene, that's 7 out of 13episodes where she was either dying, trying to be saved, or the main villain. So half of the episodes in a season revolved around her in some form or another.

It's one thing to say "the entire town of Eureka is about to blow up... again" or "Carter is in a dangerous situation trying to save the planet... again" It's another to keep going on the see-saw on such a new character, all around the same event, while trying to pull at our emotional strings.

Once = Great

Twice = OK

3+ times = SERIOUSLY?!?!?

Again, I love Felicia Day. She's cute, quirky, and always has awesome lines in her shows / appearances. I just think it was a bit much.

Wait a minute, how have you seen it? Tonight is the series finale and according to the episode list it's episode number 13. Is there something I missed? Is tonights finale two hours? Please explain what you meant

kanniballl

[18]Jul 17, 2012

[QUOTE="doctorwho747"]

kanniballl wrote:

Wait a minute, how have you seen it? Tonight is the series finale and according to the episode list it's episode number 13. Is there something I missed? Is tonights finale two hours? Please explain what you meant

Sorry, I mis-counted. Season was only 13 episodes I guess. I was just going by what I'd heard a while back that they tacked on a new finale-episode at the end making the season 13+1. But I guess it was 12+1 or they didn't really tack one on. I don't ever really go to the ep-guide.

In any case, still that's a lot of deaths or episodes focusing on impending-death of a single new character for any season..

layle1

[19]Jul 19, 2012
    • level: 72
    Originally there were 13 episodes in this season, but one of them was the Christmas episode that aired as part of last season because Syfy strung out the broadcast schedule so long -- they are, after all stupid asses. The fourteenth episode ("Just Another Day") that was given to the production to wrap up things became the thirteenth episode by broadcast order.

MajLorne

[20]Jul 20, 2012
    • level: 21
    Ah, that clears things up. But seeing how crappy the christmas eps are, I just ignore them altogether.