Eureka Forums

Syfy (ended 2012)

Anyone else as upset about season 4 as me?

stupify_me

[1]Feb 14, 2011
    • level: 3

They changed the show so much in season 4 and honestly I don't like it at all. I loved the show in seasons 1-3, but Season 4 is such a different show and honestly i've gone from loving it to hating it. For so many reasons.

Jo and Zane just work together. They were perfect and it almost seemed like it was an accident how perfectly the worked. Then zane proposes and they tear them a part and put him with Jack's daughter? WTF? Seriously?

Jo and Jack worked well together as a team with great chemistry and to take her away and have her a part of GD is terrible why is that needed? Jo was one of my favorite character and no I don't care about her, because the things that were so enjoyable to watch about her have been stripped away and her character has become useless and dull.

Henry has a wife now. A wife who as a character has no purpose and no interesting qualities what so ever. She is one of the dullest characters on television I've ever seen.

Alison had a very interesting character especially with a son who was challenged and now that interesting quality is stripped away and replaced with a dull predictable over used typical teenager issues.

Kevin now has a much larger part in the show and he talks and the actor playing him is awful. That kid couldn't act if his life depended on it and it's really sad to watch him try.

Oh and the new guy from the 40's is useless and a waste of space. They have tried so hard to make him interesting and they have failed equally as hard.

I'm so let down by this season I don't think I'll be tuning in again unless there is a major over haul planned to get things back to normal because this show has gone from great to one of the most uninteresting shows on television and it did it in the first three episodes.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

beth_baby8902

[2]Feb 15, 2011
    • level: 1

I actually didn't like the show before this season. My dad watched it and I would just half pay attention. After I watched season 4 I wanted to watch what happened before it. I have seasons 1 to 3.5 on DVD. This season got me more into the show.

Fiddlestyx

[3]Feb 15, 2011
    • level: 7

I enjoyed (most of) season 4 as well. But I think that, while some of your opinions are sort of right, there is actually a really good reason behind a lot of the changes.

Eureka lives and dies by its characters. It may be a sci-fi show, but the tech and whatnot is second fiddle to the people. And for a show that relies so strongly on its characters, there has to be room for them to grow. That room was no longer existant as of the end of season 3.

Jo was the perfect deputy who had a great relationship. Unless they killed Zane or, hey, changed her job, she wasn't going anywhere as a character.

Kevin was a prop, really, not a character. Things happened to him, people used him or interacted with him, but he was not a character. He provided some depth to Allison, but after 3.5 seasons of her struggling with him, there wasn't much to grow there either.

Zoe had become miss perfect, no room to grow.

Zane had completely lost his "bad boy" edge that made him different form the other scientists. It didn't adapt to life in Eureka, it just up and vanished.

Henry was stuck as the go-to guy for everything, but even making him the mayor didn't add any depth to him, and as the only character (besides Fargo...sort of) who had room for a new romance (poor Kim), voila.

Fargo was stuck as the catalyst for every other trouble, and while he still is, being the head of GD is going to impact him a lot more than being a perpetual gopher.

The point I'm trying to make is that, in the short term a lot of these changes aren't ones that we are really supposed to enjoy. I don't think they drastically impacted the quality of the show, but nobody likes to see characters they love regress. However I feel that, in the long run, these changes will allow for a much stronger Eureka, or at least will keep it more compelling, as the characters need to be able to change to stay interesting.

And I agree about mister 40s. He was interesting when it came to dealing with his time, and he helped push the Jack/Allison relationship, but it was like the writers didn't know what to do with him in the present. He was a great actor, he just didn't do much

stupify_me

[4]Feb 17, 2011

Fiddlestyx wrote:

I enjoyed (most of) season 4 as well. But I think that, while some of your opinions are sort of right, there is actually a really good reason behind a lot of the changes.

Eureka lives and dies by its characters. It may be a sci-fi show, but the tech and whatnot is second fiddle to the people. And for a show that relies so strongly on its characters, there has to be room for them to grow. That room was no longer existant as of the end of season 3.

Jo was the perfect deputy who had a great relationship. Unless they killed Zane or, hey, changed her job, she wasn't going anywhere as a character.

Kevin was a prop, really, not a character. Things happened to him, people used him or interacted with him, but he was not a character. He provided some depth to Allison, but after 3.5 seasons of her struggling with him, there wasn't much to grow there either.

Zoe had become miss perfect, no room to grow.

Zane had completely lost his "bad boy" edge that made him different form the other scientists. It didn't adapt to life in Eureka, it just up and vanished.

Henry was stuck as the go-to guy for everything, but even making him the mayor didn't add any depth to him, and as the only character (besides Fargo...sort of) who had room for a new romance (poor Kim), voila.

Fargo was stuck as the catalyst for every other trouble, and while he still is, being the head of GD is going to impact him a lot more than being a perpetual gopher.

The point I'm trying to make is that, in the short term a lot of these changes aren't ones that we are really supposed to enjoy. I don't think they drastically impacted the quality of the show, but nobody likes to see characters they love regress. However I feel that, in the long run, these changes will allow for a much stronger Eureka, or at least will keep it more compelling, as the characters need to be able to change to stay interesting.

And I agree about mister 40s. He was interesting when it came to dealing with his time, and he helped push the Jack/Allison relationship, but it was like the writers didn't know what to do with him in the present. He was a great actor, he just didn't do much

A show that lives and dies by characters shouldn't change everything about the characters that people love. Also a show that lives and dies by it's characters shouldn't devolve their characters. To many Tv shows end up doing this and instead of creating an evolution for their character like they should they make them charactures of them selves or set them back 5 steps. Stuff like that is why I stoped watching Scrubs.

By trying to make Jo's life less perfect they made her less interesting and less entertaining to watch. It's now boring to see Jo on screen and I'd rather not even see her.

Kevin was a prop and should of stayed that way. He not only made Alison more interesting for it, but he made the show more unique and put a face to a disease that's hitting the world pretty hard right now and it was a step forward for people who are trying to help those suffering. Now he's pointless. Kevin serves no purpose anymore he's a typical teenage boy and as less than zero interesting qualities and also makes the show less unique and Allison less interesting. Also as I said before that kid is AWFUL his bad acting makes the show look bad. There is very little chance of new viewers if they switch over and see someone that bad on the cast. They may not even watch more than two minutes assuming the rest of the cast is just as bad. This show has some fantastic actors and it's insulting that someone this awful gets paid to do the same thing they do.

Zoe really hasn't changed. Not sure why you talked about her being miss perfect before because she is the exact same character other than entering in to a really disgusting and creepy relationship with Zane which is just wrong for so many reasons one of which being that he is meant to be with Jo.

Zane from time to time still had the edge and it could of easily been corrected with out tearing him and Jo apart. He's not that different now than he was in season 3 actually. For two episodes he had a bad boy activities then after that he was just a normal guy who every one suspected did bad things but really didn't. He's already falling right back in to the same character he was so not much of an argument there. Instead they stripped away the solid dependable relationship that most people loved. They worked so perfectly and it was terrible to rip them apart especially if the excuse was to make Jo less perfect because she's less interesting instead and making Zane more of a bad boy because he's not he just is suspected more.

Henry being married is one thing, but putting her as a character with screen time on the show that has no personality what so ever is another. She is the most uninteresting character on the show even less so than Kevin and only slightly better at acting.

Not really complaining much about Fargo. My only complaint is that now he's starting to become a little to competent to fast and he's losing his comical side and he was one of the biggest laughs. Now the only thing to laugh about on the show is Jacks facial expressions and that's hardly enough to hold the entire thing together.

They have two options to let things slowly work back to normal like have Jo and Zane slowly build a relationship and start showing less and less of kevin and Henry's wife. However if they do that it makes every change made in this season pointless and makes the season a waste of time.. Or they can keep things the way they are now and not work toward the way it was before which makes the show less entertaining, less interesting and have more poorly crafted character writing. Neither option is great, but if I have to pick one I'll go for the first choice.

Shaking things up with a few changes is one thing but ripping away every thing that made the show so great is another.

It was possible to make changes and shake things up with out making so many massive changes that have such a huge impact in quality. It's fine to make changes to keep things fresh, but you should never sacrifice the things fans love in order to do so.

Edited on 02/17/2011 4:18am

lrg162

[5]Feb 19, 2011
    • level: 1
    Some of the things written above are true ... Some are not ... And some are just personal opinion, which is what makes a show successful ...

Personally I think that the Season 4 story arc has a certain amount of scope yet to be developed, and once we start to see clear direction from the writers, we'll understand (some) of their decisions ...

I was disappointed that they chose to end Jack's relationship with Tess [the one with Callie {dry cleaning lady) seemed to just disappear although this IS Eureka, so we shouldn't be surprised] ... They have made it (I believe)that Allison and Carter will only ever be friends, so why shouldn't Jack have a love life (bring back his ex again?) Besides Jaime Ray Newman is HOT

I think they HAD to break up Jo and Zane ... If Jo had said 'yes' it would have pretty much closed all real sparring between them, not to mention remove one of Eureka's hottest babes from the market (gotta keep those 12 -14 y/o boys happy)And even Zane mentiones in a dialogue that Jo had almost made a straight guy of him, so what was the point of his character?

I partially agree with the statement that Zoe had become 'Miss Perfect' ... She went from 'Miss Juvenile Delinquent' teenage daughter giving single, working dad a hard time to Medical School?????

Henry needed a wife/girlfriend even if only to clean up his garage, but more importantly to give a slightly different outlook ... Let's face it the guy has lost his sweetheart 3 times now so he would either be a bitter and twisted man or they could give him a loving caring wife and make him the happy guy he was in the beginning ...

KxGx

[6]Feb 20, 2011
    • level: 6
    lrg162 wrote:

I was disappointed that they chose to end Jack's relationship with Tess [the one with Callie {dry cleaning lady) seemed to just disappear although this IS Eureka, so we shouldn't be surprised] ... They have made it (I believe)that Allison and Carter will only ever be friends, so why shouldn't Jack have a love life (bring back his ex again?) Besides Jaime Ray Newman is HOT

Did you not watch the last few episodes before the Hiatus? If not then go watch it, if so i dont understand how you think they can only be friends. In my opinion, even before the Timeline change there would always be opporunity for them to get together (look at Bones - 6 years still and still not together)
    In TV land the friend zone doesnt start until like 15 years in. It just took the timeline switch and the presence of Dr Grant to make Carter go for it.

zorga98

[7]Feb 26, 2011

I loved this season. Jack and allison finally getiing together was like great, but with grant there is the oppertunitie to bring him back later and cause tesion, ditto with tess. Jack and allison together also means if they get serious we can see them try and work as a family. How cute would it be if Gena called jack daddy?

I like that kevin is normal know cause we can now see how allison manages as a proper parent and it will be fun to watch jack try and build a relationship with him.

I like henry and grace cause its about time hat henry got a love interest plus with grace knowing the secret it opens up a new story line of, could she tell?

I do agree that zoe and zane was a mistake but we dont have to worry about that because sherrif will never let them stay together and zoe will probably meet someone at uni. Jo and zane could get back together and zane could find out the secret. Tho i do agree taking away jos job was a BIGGIE and needs to be resolved but for now her job is the only good thing in her life.

Fargo as head of GD is just pure comical, especially his scenes with general mansfield but he needs to grow a spine.

sandy3540

[8]Feb 26, 2011
    • level: 8

Here in australia we are only in the middle of season 3, so far i'm liking it !!!Laughing

zzbeach

[9]Mar 3, 2011
    • level: 12

I didn't watch a single episode until this winter when I signed up for Netflix. Now I'm hooked! I actually like this season and the twists it presented. This show is about quirky scientists and their adventures with the sheriff as the "straight' guy. Shaking things up may not work on other shows but this is Eureka. What's not to love about Henry singing and dancing to "She Blinded Me With Science!" That's freakin' great tv.

leesha_27

[10]Mar 7, 2011
    • level: 17
    Although I respect your opinion, I have to disagree with you stupify_me.

I've actually really enjoyed season 4 and welcomed the twists. Yes, it threw me a little before, but I Believe in the long run, this will turn out for the best. And hey, Jack and Allison are together, that's what I've wanted since season 1 episode 1 and now season 4 has made it happen.

I think I'll always love Eureka, its (in the words of Chuck) fantastic.

kanniballl

[11]Mar 8, 2011
    • level: 18

Zoe leaving makes sense for a story and realistic reasons. The actress probably wanted to leave, the only thing that stinks more than being a child actress is being a child actress on a TV show for a LONG time. Once you're on a show for too many years, it's very hard to do anything else.

As for the character, there was no more room to grow. She already went from child delinquent to a top student at a school for geniuses; a smart and well-balanced young woman.

As for Jo, splitting them up makes sense. The character was in the town-saving business before Jack entered the picture, I do not know how long but I imagine it was at least a couple of years. Stuck as a deputy the whole time, when you have dreams of being the actual sheriff, has to stink. No advancement, no forward momentum, nothing.

This let them give her character some advancement without losing Jack as the sheriff.

Though to be honest, I'm not a fan of this new reality on the show. But I guess they wanted to mix things up a bit to prevent it from going too stale.

mandi01

[12]Mar 26, 2011

i agree with you in that they needed to change them. they are showing a new deph to them all, but i have a question, i have read on the net some-where that stark is back in season 4 can anyone confirm that for me,you never know they changed their own futures so they could have chaged that also.

Edited on 03/26/2011 10:07am

Sissyroo34

[13]Apr 4, 2011
    I disagree. I think the show has been better than ever this season. They found a way to inject life into a show that could have easily become repetitive (how many conspiracy theories could Henry/Allison really become a part of?) and we got to keep the same characters that we've grown to love. While I love Zane and Jo, and Zane and Jo as a couple, I've always felt like they became a couple almost too quickly, especially when you take into account the fact that Zane was a con when he and Jo first met. I always thought it probably would have taken them a bit longer than three episodes to reconcile those differences.

zorga98

[14]Apr 8, 2011
    mandi01 wrote:

i agree with you in that they needed to change them. they are showing a new deph to them all, but i have a question, i have read on the net some-where that stark is back in season 4 can anyone confirm that for me,you never know they changed their own futures so they could have chaged that also.

He isnt back he just makes an apperance as Jacks hallucination in the episode The Ex-Files. Allison sees tess and the hallucinations giva Jack and Allison the final push into admitting their feelings and becoming a couple.

stupify_me

[15]May 19, 2011
    zorga98 wrote:

I loved this season. Jack and allison finally getiing together was like great, but with grant there is the oppertunitie to bring him back later and cause tesion, ditto with tess. Jack and allison together also means if they get serious we can see them try and work as a family. How cute would it be if Gena called jack daddy?

I like that kevin is normal know cause we can now see how allison manages as a proper parent and it will be fun to watch jack try and build a relationship with him.

I like henry and grace cause its about time hat henry got a love interest plus with grace knowing the secret it opens up a new story line of, could she tell?

I do agree that zoe and zane was a mistake but we dont have to worry about that because sherrif will never let them stay together and zoe will probably meet someone at uni. Jo and zane could get back together and zane could find out the secret. Tho i do agree taking away jos job was a BIGGIE and needs to be resolved but for now her job is the only good thing in her life.

Fargo as head of GD is just pure comical, especially his scenes with general mansfield but he needs to grow a spine.

Alison and Jack is the only thing I liked about season 4 I agree they should be together. My problems again with making Kevin normal is it makes his character so much less interesting now he is just the typical dull teenage boy. Still that could be tollerable if the kid wasn't such a crappy actor. He sucks the energy out of the screen every time he shows up and so far they have been giving him more screen time. So they took a character made him dull run of the mill and uninteresting cast him with a terrible actor and increased his screen time. yikes. IMO Fargo has no place running GD. Funny sure, but it is a terrible plot point. It adds comedy but takes away from the over all story and is totally not fitting at all. He has no place leading GD.

stupify_me

[16]May 19, 2011
    leesha_27 wrote:
    Although I respect your opinion, I have to disagree with you stupify_me.

I've actually really enjoyed season 4 and welcomed the twists. Yes, it threw me a little before, but I Believe in the long run, this will turn out for the best. And hey, Jack and Allison are together, that's what I've wanted since season 1 episode 1 and now season 4 has made it happen.

I think I'll always love Eureka, its (in the words of Chuck) fantastic.

I respect your opinion but can only agree with one thing. Alison and Jack being together is good. Finally. I can't say I wanted them together since Episode one because nothing was developed yet and it seemed more like Jo and Him would be together and they even made fun of the fact that they built that up more at first when Zoe talked about people betting who he would end up with. Wasn't until middle of season 1 that I starting wanting him and Alison together.

Nostronomo

[17]May 24, 2011
    • level: 4

Here's what I would like to say but not going to say.

But instead I'm gonna say.

I can understand that you get frustrated when they change the main plot like they did. But look at it like this.

The show was becoming boring. Same thing kept happening over and over, only the gizmo changed.

It was turning in to carebearsville soft nerf edition.

There was 2 things to do.

1. Cancel the show. To save it from a slow death.

2. Rewrite the main plot.

Personally I'm happy that they did what they did cause I would like the alternative far less.

At first I didn't approve of the change. I would have liked to stay in carebearsville a bit longer. Cause I'm a softie.

But I quickly started to like the new Eureka Cause it made me realize what I was missing with the show.

Writing a television script isn't easy. Try it yourself and you'll see.

Show patience and understanding they are doing the best they can to deliver a great show to your TV.

Peace out mate.

Edited on 05/26/2011 11:20am

123home123

[18]Jul 3, 2011
    • level: 55
    I watched the first season of "Eureka" but I got bored with it in Season 2 and stopped watching. I saw 1 or 2 episodes in Season 3 (3.5?). I missed all of Season 4.0 but I happened to see the Christmas special last December. Nice one-time story.

With all the promos for Eureka, I decided to watch some of the episodes on demand. Syfy also ran a Eureka marathon this week, so now I've seen all of the Season 4.0 episodes except the first one. I thought it was interesting. It was strange at first, but it got me involved in the series again, after not watching it for 4 years.

I thought the episodes were too predictable in Season 2 and beyond, with some experiment going wrong, Carter trying to figure out what went wrong, a tidy solution at the end, and a few moments of humor. Maybe I just needed a break from this story. Coming back to it 4 years later, I have to say that the Season 4.0 experiment worked for me. It brought me back to this show again. I'll try to watch the new episodes that start up next week.

P.S. Syfy is calling it Season 4.5, but it seems more like Season 6. I think I'll call it Season 6. I've never heard of another series that only runs episodes over the summer, and calls two separate summers part of the same "season".

zorga98

[19]Jul 31, 2011

stupify_me wrote:
    zorga98 wrote:

Alison and Jack is the only thing I liked about season 4 I agree they should be together. My problems again with making Kevin normal is it makes his character so much less interesting now he is just the typical dull teenage boy. Still that could be tollerable if the kid wasn't such a crappy actor. He sucks the energy out of the screen every time he shows up and so far they have been giving him more screen time. So they took a character made him dull run of the mill and uninteresting cast him with a terrible actor and increased his screen time. yikes. IMO Fargo has no place running GD. Funny sure, but it is a terrible plot point. It adds comedy but takes away from the over all story and is totally not fitting at all. He has no place leading GD.
    The fact that Kevin is just normal doesnt really take away from the plot, and i personally don't think his acting is that bad! I'm guessing he's alot better then any of us otherwise he wouldn't be on the show and I like him getting more screen time. They have already changed the person playing Kevin once! As you can see in 4.5 now Fargo is getting alot braver as head of GD which IMO i think gives his character a whole new depth. Hes funny but he now can handle stressful situations!

wedgeantilles54

[20]Aug 1, 2011
    • level: 12
    I have to say i wasn't to thrilled with Season 4 at first but it is getting more interesting.

Though i am woundering what happened to the artifact? it was a big deal for the first two seasons and then no mention of it what so ever in season 3, though possibly the alternate time line could explain that now
    but its kinda odd the beverly and consortium are still around with out it.

I'm suprised that they brought beaverly back and she seems alot more evil that she was before.