Eureka Forums

Syfy (ended 2012)

Episode 4x1 - Founder's Day (Spoilers)

layle1

[1]Jul 9, 2010
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for discussion of the episode "Founder's Day."
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

zsandmann

[2]Jul 9, 2010
    • level: 5
    Wow, that was heavy. Lots of drama to kick off what looks to be a killer season. And finally Allison's missing son reappears to cause havok and cures himself in the process?

CoffeeCake225

[3]Jul 9, 2010
    • level: 15
    omg im so excited for this season, i hate how there are some things that got better but others that got worse. it just makes it all the more exciting

Fiddlestyx

[4]Jul 9, 2010
    • level: 7

Ok, I thought I'd seen everything, but I apparently have missed something. When did Tess break-up with Carter and tell them all about solar-flares? They showed it in the "previously" bit, but I never saw it "previously"...

Fiddlestyx

[5]Jul 9, 2010

Also, avoiding spoilers, imagine the kinds of buttons Fargo will be able to push now..

milkhaswings

[6]Jul 9, 2010
    • level: 13
    Fiddlestyx wrote:

Ok, I thought I'd seen everything, but I apparently have missed something. When did Tess break-up with Carter and tell them all about solar-flares? They showed it in the "previously" bit, but I never saw it "previously"...

We never saw it happen, I guess they put it in the previously thing so they didn't have to officially start the episode with Jack being dumped.

So it happened in between the seasons.

ernienet

[7]Jul 9, 2010

Fiddlestyx wrote:

Me, too! I went through the episodes and then played back the last episode when Carter got the tickets to Australia. Then some kind of hologram break up during the "previously on Eureka".

Was there some kind of continuity error they were trying to make up for?

ernienet

[8]Jul 9, 2010

milkhaswings wrote:
    Fiddlestyx wrote:

We never saw it happen, I guess they put it in the previously thing so they didn't have to officially start the episode with Jack being dumped. So it happened in between the seasons.

Well that was stupid! You'd think with nearly a year between seasons they could have reconciled the story lines a little.

ndemi

[9]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 4

Damn it! I thought that Alison and Carter finally will be together. I don't like when they mess with that.

TankLike

[10]Jul 10, 2010

Why is everyone so excited about Allison and Jack? I thought that Tess was a even better fit for Jack anyway!

Did anyone else have a déjà-vu in this episode? Time-travel and things change (some for the better, some for the worse) - we got that at the end of season 1 when Carter in a way "lost" the life he had with Allison and had to go back.
    In a way it's the same here: Finally he has a chance on a relationship with Ally and Tess is back.

But this time it will be Ally who will have to suffer a terrible loss: Having a non-autistic kid, being told he loves her. That will definitely lead to some juicy scenes. And we once again have a big obstacle for Carter and Ally: With Tess being back (and Carter's not the type to break her heart out of the blue) they will be forced to keep their distance once again.

And who knows what else will be different. I mean: What's with Zane being in jail? Did they hold him there for the last two years?

Then again it's crazy how some things stayed the same. One would think that going this far A LOT of things were influenced. But somehow Zoe's still in Harvard and Ally is propably still leading GD and has a small child with her dead ex-ex-husband...

farscape2

[12]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 10

enojoyable episode, great plot twists

the break-up between Tess & Carter was a fun thing in the "previously on Eureka" segment, according to the universe they got back to, it never happened. Kevin is no longer autistic and he's back in the picture, during season 3 it was like Allison totally forgot she already had a kid nice to see Dr. Grant showing up in Café Diem, why didn't Jack and Allison thought of that, seeing Jack left his cellphone 'in his other jacket'.

glad Eureka is back, can't wait for more episodes!

TankLike

[13]Jul 10, 2010

I thought everything was pretty obvious. Less twisty

Don't get me wrong: I love Eureka and the episode was enjoyable nonetheless. But it wasn't one of their best. As any season opener it introduced some new problems and conflicts and this it did pretty well. Plus imho it was better than the season 2 opener of Warehouse 13.

But I hope we will see even better episodes along the season. The only real surprise for me was the whole Carter and Ally kissing thing. I didn't expect them to go there so quick - even so it's been a year or so since her husband died as a viewer I felt kinda cheated. It's bad enough they kept us waiting this long for new material. But jumping this far ahead and not really showing us how Tess broke up with Carter or how Ally got over losing her husband and started falling for Carter again...

And btw: The whole on-again-off-again-hot-and-cold-thing gets kinda boring. And as it might be necessary for a show like Bones with all that URST imho Eureka has enough going aside from that so the really don't have to stretch it this far. It gets unreasonable after a while.

Edited on 07/10/2010 6:05am

ndemi

[14]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 4
    @TankLike well I think it's more that one year - look that the small girl - she's more than 1 year old.

Ally is not head of GD. Check the trailer for the next episode.

Why everyone so excited about Allison and Jack? 'Cause from the begining between these two was something special.

dragon22a

[15]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 32

It's possible the whole Tess breaking up with Carter scene was added after the initial filimg. Maybe as a result of Witches of Eastwick being cancelled and leaving Jamie Ray Newman available to return. Notice that Tess was wearing the same shirt in the last scene as she was in the break-up scene. As if the break up was added later on in the same day of shooting.

I honestly don't know how I feel about the new reality created and whether it will stick around at all. Grants dissapearance from the past obviously caused these changes and his return may negate them. Some of the changes are fine though. I liked Tess and am happy she is back but I miss the Zane/Jo relationship.

torrijos

[16]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 16
    Baltar makes everything better ^^.

Just saying

TankLike

[17]Jul 10, 2010

I'm not so sure about him making everything better. I almost stopped watching BSG because the guy bugged the hell out of me...
    But for now I'll give him a chance - what other choice do I have?

Of course getting him back will set the time-line straight. BUT: they'll propably have to wait eleven years for that or find another way.

@more than one year: I don't think the little girl is THAT much older. Anyway: That sucks even more: Carter has been together with Tess doing the whole long-distance thing for more than one year and the second she leaves him he runs to Ally (who just waited for that moment as we are supposed to believe). I mean: That has "rebound" written all over it. Of course I do belive that they have a special connection (Carter and Ally) but breaking up after being together one year with Tess (who Carter obviously liked otherwise why bother with the whole long-distance thing?) he's not in the state of mind to go at this as honest and serious as it should be.
    I mean: If the break-up would've been 3 months ago it would be ok. But this seems kinda weird all together...

Plus: If I remember correctly Carter was fired at the end of season 3. And while no one truely believed it would stay that way (or he would leave Ally and make her face the challenge of having a new born on her own) it is still not cool to simply wipe that away and ignore it.

@dragon: Maybe. But if she wasn't avaiable to appear in Eureka wouldn't it be even more important to make them break up?

@fiddlestyx: What do you mean with "The kind of buttons Fargo will be able to push"? Because Zane's out of the picture (at least somehow). Or because he's one of five people who know that they don't really fit into that time-line?

Aaaah, trailers. Never watch them. But since you mentioned it: Was Ally relieved of her duty as the boss of GD in her or in this time-line. And why?

Edited on 07/11/2010 1:36am

eol_is

[18]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 5

wow! awesome beginning! then again, i am easily impressed... can't wait for the next episode.

anyway, about the holo break-up scene...if you say it wasn't in the last episode of season 3, maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me, but i remember seeing it there, as the final scene, just before the credits.

i really like this show, so even if, god forbid, this season won't appeal to the critics or whatever, i'm still going to watch it and like it to the end, no matter what they throw at us.

qrb

[19]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 13
    oke i really liked the episode except for 1 thing i really liked the relationship between Zane and joe , and then she finally wants to marry him , she finds out he didnt propose in this universe, that thing really put a damper on the show for me

JonathanBerma

[20]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 1

Concerning this episode, does anyone know where can I find the black with slate lining and hoodie

Jack was wearing in the beginning of the episode?

Pic: http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9068/cartersrunningjacket.png

Product Details:

Slate lining
    Hoodie
    Zipper pocket on left arm
    Zipper down the front

Places I've Looked:

Ralph Lauren, Land's End, Eddie Baur, North Face, Nike, Rei, Amazon, Ebay

Edited on 07/10/2010 9:14am
    Edited 2 total times.