Eureka Forums

Syfy (ended 2012)

"Nerdy" references in "Eureka."

MatthewRaiche

[1]Jul 11, 2012
    • level: 5

I like the subtle "nerdy" references in this show. I just noticed a couple from episode 2 of season 5 within a few seconds of each other.

One of the guys Beverly is talking to uses the term "non-player characters." This is from Dungeons and Dragons (and role-playing games in general).

Later, the other guy in the room says if there are too many problems with a particular person, he or she will be "retired." (Blade Runner).

What are some other subtle "nerdy" references you've noticed?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MatthewRaiche

[2]Jul 11, 2012
    • level: 5
    I just thought of another one. In the episode where the guy comes from GD to analyze Carter and Blake's appeal to the decision about their relationship and Carter's memories get implanted in his head, after the test, the analyst says, "What did you expect? The Spanish Inquisition?" and Carter says, "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition." (Monty Python)

kanniballl

[3]Jul 11, 2012
    • level: 18

The term NPC's also got adopted into video games, usually involving either RPG's or MMO's. And to be honest, that's where most people (even today's geeks / nerds / etc) know the term. Since the team was stuck inside a giant simulated reality like an MMO it fit quite nicely.

Actually, there are too many to list over the years. They drop explicit references to Sci Fi movies, fantasy novels, video games, etc ALL of the time. Likewise, sometimes their plots are very genre-oriented.

Seriously, it's like every episode (or every-other). Usually I'd say it's either Jack or Fargo that would drop the line, though Zane + Zoe + others do it to. In Jack's case, it was often hanging a lantern on how the current scenario is like fiction X or Fargo saying "this is so cool, this is like Y"

My favorite ones are from Season 1 when S.A.R.A.H. takes hostages in "H.O.U.S.E. Rules"

- Fargo mentions that SARAH has "gone all HAL on us" (2001 SpaceOdyssey)

- After learning that SARAH was built on top of an older AI that was built on top of an even older missle-defense AI, she asks if they "would like to play a game." Everyone freaks and yells "NO" (War Games)

My next favorite has to be when Stark shows Jack the moon rocks, and how they transformed. Jack's eyes light up and he yells "KRYTONITE" (since the rocks have all grown into large green crystals).

-

Edited on 07/11/2012 5:44am
    Edited 2 total times.