Eureka Forums

Syfy (ended 2012)

who else agrees that syfy are making a big mistake

Chaosbus1989

[1]Apr 25, 2012
    • level: 1

as the rest of you i am a massive eureka fan i have followed it since the begin and have never misses an episode but i think syfi binning it is the biggest mastake they have made since firefly and heros and i have to say what i have seen of this season so far its looking to be the best and the fact that this is the last season syfi are just shooting themselves in the foot with a shotgun and they should at least rethink about stopping the show.

Edited on 05/01/2012 4:00am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dragon22a

[2]Apr 25, 2012
    • level: 32
    I do think it is a mistake. For one thing, it is a great show. For a second thing it is part of a still emerging shared universe between different shows on the network. It shares continuity with Warehouse 13 and Alphas. Keeping the three shows on opens up so many possibilities for cross overs and shared storylines like the CSI franchise has done. Hopefully, some of the characters from Eureka will make appearances on those shows. Especially Fargo, who has a friendship with Claudia from the Warehouse.

ltcomstella

[3]Apr 25, 2012
    • level: 18

how is alpha's related to eureka and w13 ?

alphas isbarely watchablesounded good started good but the finale was retarded...

puppybunny1

[4]Apr 25, 2012
    • level: 13

Syfy has opted toward the lower cost reality tv, paranormal files. I think that this is a mistake. I want my Eureka back. The Fact or Fiction Paranormal File is unwatchable. Then there is the Ghost Hunter and Ghost Hunter International. Enough already!

DasVON

[5]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 2
    Eureka is one of the most original sci fi show and should continue..

codakatz

[6]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 3

I agree that SyFy is making a very big mistake in cancelling "Eureka". I used to watch a lot of programming on SyFy, but as they go to more and more unscripted material, I am watching less and less. They are going to lose so many viewers they'll never be able to pull out of the funk. I enjoy most of their original series, but "Eureka" is the best, with the most original storylines and the strongest cast.

Edited on 04/30/2012 8:18am

firedemon1

[7]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 4

God I hate those stupid ghost hunters shows. They never find anything EVER as in NEVER EVER

doctorwho747

[8]May 1, 2012
    • level: 5
    [QUOTE="Chaosbus1989"]

as the rest of you i am a massive eureka fan i have followed it since the begin and have never misses an episode but i think syfi binning it is the biggest mastake they have made since firefly and heros and i have to say what i have seen of this season so far its looking to be the best and the fact that this is the last season syfi are just shooting themselves in the foot with a shotgun and they should at least rethink about stopping the show.

[/QUOT

As much I would have liked the show to continue, I am actually glad it's ending now, hear me out. Originally there was supposed to be a 6th and final season consisting of only 6 episodes. it was green lighted, but then something happened and Syfy changed their minds. Now since they had already finished filming this season of 13 episodes, the producers fought and eventually the network agreed to make a 14th two hour episode as the series finale which will be obviously abridged version of those 6. But my biggest point is that EVERY syfy channel show was canceled: Farscape, SG-1, SGU, Caprica, The Invisible Man etc, the only exception was BSG. So we should ALL be happy that at least the show is concluding rather than left with a never resolved cliffhanger. So now we have to worry about any other of the channel shows we might watch, Sanctuary, WH13, Haven, Alphas, Being Human. Right now they are all doing well but unfortunately that doesn't mean anything to Syfy

Chaosbus1989

[9]May 2, 2012
    there is one prob thow stargate univerce was not resolved they left it we the season cliffhanger and never told us what had happend and that made me mad they should do something to let us know what happend and ye they all get the can but syfy is making a mistake they are ditching all shows like sgu eureka and all that and they will loose viewers dont get me wrong ghost hunters is ok its a ok show but its not like eureka thow

archangelwho

[10]May 4, 2012

As with other industries the entertainment industries is pricing itself out of the market. It will not be long when these large cast shows are all gone.

CatStewart

[11]May 5, 2012

Most definitely a huge mistake, but unhappily U.S. TV networks have got what we overseas fans call "form" for this sort of slow suicide, and not just Syfy - The Magnificent Seven was a ratings hit, but got the chop after 2 seasons (only getting the 2nd due to fan protests). The problem is diametrically opposed desires - networks view a TV show, like Eureka, Supernatural, Angel, Castle, White Collar or whatever as a necessary evil they have to endure in order to broadcast adverts.

Viewers like us view adverts as a irritating evil we have to endure to watch great TV. networks want to churn out TV series that are as cheap to made as possible, which allow as much advertising time as possible. Viewers want to watch a proper story turned into a visual format, with a beginning, a middle, a proper end, plausible characters, plots, and "universes". It's possible Syfy will see sense and change their minds, but I doubt it, given past examples. The network executives who make these decisions don't realise that fans now have more power (Internet) and less money (global recession) than they had in the early Noughties - fans are therefore demanding more value for money and being more discerning in how we buy (or don't) the merchandising (Psych key rings, NCIS caps, Eureka T-shirts).

We fans also have long memories and are sick of being rewarded for loyalty with contempt, superciliousness and insults. Remember Angel being cancelled - that forced UPN and WB to join as the CW to survive, but the lessons weren't learned and they cancelled Stargate Atlantis - shamefully with the collusion of some of its own producers - and publicly insulted the franchise's loyal fans when they did it. Then they wondered why SG "Universe" failed. Brad Wright, one of the main colluders actually had the gall to whine about lack of fan support for SGU when he was openly contemptuous of fans objecting to SGA being cancelled.

It's very simple: the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world - remember, Mr Wright, about all us "old" useless fans you wanted to get rid of because we weren't in the key demographic? Well, our kids and younger siblings, nephews and nieces, new teenage employees, etc., are the ones who observe us and they watch/listen to what they see we enjoy. But we are not doormats and you can't walk all over us fans anymore, because if you try, we will vote with our feet and our money. I'm a writer who has a lot of friends and godchildren in the "key" age demographic. What do network execs think I advised them to do when just a few years apart my two favourite shows were cancelled summarily and fans like me were condescended to and told we were silly and whiny? I'm sure everyone has a laundry list of shows cancelled despite in several cases being ratings hits: The Invisible Man (possibly the most popular/highest rated show on Syfy ever), Prey, time & Again, The Sentinel, Angel - some of which were cancelled only to be replaced later by a show based on the same premise after someone realised that yet again, the network had pulled off a "foot, shotgun, oops" mistake: Special Unit 2 (now rebooted as Grimm), Players (rebooted as Breakout Kings),

Fans were told it is "policy" to end a show after 5 years regardless of how well it is doing and how much potential there is left in it as excuses to get rid of Angel, SGA and Eureka. Why? Who came up with that idiocy? The execs who cancelled Angel admitted they'd made a terrible mistake barely two months later when they were desperate for a show like...Angel. Luckily for them Eric Kripke had Supernatural, but they'd have been sunk otherwise. I work 55 hour weeks in 3 jobs. If I commit to watching 1 x 1 hour TV show in a week, then over 5 seasons of 22 episodes I have given the TV network 5 full days of my life, if 7 seasons, or 8, like House (which is now ending) that's a full week plus change.

What could you do with 5-7 days to fill as you pleased? If you knew the TV show you were thinking of watching was going to be cancelled after 5 seasons regardless of how good it was/how much farther it still could go, would you not consider spending that hour of your time more productively? Perhaps on a Tuesday or Thursday night instead you could build a better relationship with your astonished kids by turning off the TV and and actually spending an hour listening to them and talking to them? Maybe you could save your marriage by having your wife come through the door and find that you have spent an hour making dinner and washing up, or doing some ironing, or just tidying up a bit, instead of sat inert in an armchair. Or your husband trudges in and finds instead of noise and chaos you have spent an hour feeding the kids, getting them out of the way and he's got an hour of peace and quiet to destress with a beer and you are actually paying some attention to him instead of drooling over Joe Flanigan/Colin Ferguson/Alex O'Loughlin instead. Why do TV networks not realise that the continued "drying up" of their revenue streams - i.e., us who buy the merchandising and DVDs - will only increase if they keep shooting their golden geese in the head. Dead goose, no more golden eggs! It's hardly the science that enables the launching of rockets!

I watch Syfy only to watch sci-fi - I don't watch anything else, certainly not the reality pap they are churning out. If/when Warehouse 13 and Eureka go the way of the criminally cancelled No Ordinary Family, etc., that will be me done.

Although, at this point, I must give credit to Syfy for funding the 14th episode wrap-up special; I wish it could be made mandatory for every network to have to do this if they've strung the fans on for X years and then dumped them as happened with Stargate Atlantis. I did have a "wobble" with Eureka in the new timeline storyline (Season 4) because of the distasteful subplot of Zane and Zoe Carter. There is a word to describe an adult in their late 20s targeting adolecent children for sexual relationships and quite frankly a man or a woman over 25 should have the maturity to seek an adult relationship with an adult, not a girl or boy who is still progressing from childhood to adulthood. Happily Eureka got rid of that unpleasant anomaly quickly, and I stuck with the show and I'm glad I did, because it is one of the best programmes on TV in terms of "universe plausibility". What's more Eureka has even pioneered the more realistic "in-universe" crossover. TV shows used to pretend nothing outside their show existed, which was patently ludicrous. Thanks to Eureka/Warehouse 13 we have NCIS/Hawaii 5-0 as one example of shows that acknowledge other things exist. It would be great to see something similar between other shows, for example the excellent TV shows King and Flashpoint (police procedurals) although yet again, some genius, presumably at CBS, has decided to cancel Flashpoint after - yep, 5 seasons. But I digress.

Sadly, I think TV networks will only realise the folly of their stubbornness and greed when they are standing in the employment line because they've finally haemorrhaged all their loyal viewers, or when they have to merge with other networks to survive. And even then, I'm not holding my breath.

AllAlone

[12]May 7, 2012
    CatStewart is right, series often get cancelled after about five years, but there are exceptions - the law and order franchise for example, SVU/Criminal intent/Law & Order has had way more than that, CSI/Miami/New York likewise, so what have these shows got that Eureka, Haven and Warehouse 13 haven't? OK lets debunk the usual arguments; the cost of special effects has rocketed, fans expect the best effects possible, but the interminable adverts and merchandise should offset the cost of production. For those who say the storylines will become stale, does this not apply to the above mentioned other long running series? Ratings are low. Not according to TV panels. The actors are asking for higher fees. Then instead of an across the board pay rise offer the incentive of a percentage of the gross. According to "polls" the current type of "reality" telly programmes are "more popular" with viewers. For some people watching cheap rubbish is better than watching nothing at all. If all of us who complain about lack of real programmes just switched off the telly, then ratings would fall, advertising revenue would fall, executives would have a rude awakening. (or find themselves standing in the employment line!) The saddest truth is that if we the viewers are prepared to sit in front of the idiot box and watch paint dry, then programmes about drying paint is what we are going to get. Vote with you remote and switch off the rubbish.

archangelwho

[13]May 8, 2012

Yet we continue to watch whatthey put on. We will not turn out TVoff for a few months. We just put up with it and they keep making the money.

AllAlone

[14]May 13, 2012

Cancelling quality high cost programmes seems endemic across the board. The problem is the viewing public is not prepared to switch off the idiot box to make advertising revenue tumble, so that quality programmes will not be restarted. So if these viewers would rather gormlessly stare at poor quality telly, then they deserve what they get. I have over the last few years, amassed a collection of video/dvd that will see me through the lean years. I can't remember which TV pundit it was but twenty years ago he predicted that TV would become "mindless pap" so following his warning I started to collect shows I enjoyed, stockpiling for the day the telly went dark with mindless pap. Many of the shows discussed on this forum can be recorded from the telly and watched at leisure - although the companies are cancelling them, the re-runs will keep on coming, so if you record them, you can edit out the adverts, no need to watch the re runs, no need to watch the drivel of "reality" shows, advertising revenue goes down - it's a self perpetuating spiral. Sooner or later even the highest ranking exec will notice something is amiss. Yes, good quality shows are costly to produce - when Inspector Morse was made back in the 90's each show cost about £1 million, but when they are sold worldwide, the cost is easily recouped. So, wakey wakey owrld, switch off the drivel and only watch shows you enjoy. The powers that be will (eventually) get the message.

archangelwho

[15]May 13, 2012

Netflix is a great option. We turned off everything else. Netflix, DVD, VHS and the computer. We watch what we want when we want and no ads on Netflix.

kanniballl

[16]May 14, 2012

I think the show has run its course.

5 years is plenty of time of a show. If you go on longer it tends to just become repetitious , or changes so much that it loses its appeal.

It's like when people were complaining about Stargate SG-1 getting cancelled... the show was on for 10 YEARS. Sure, only 5-6 were on SciFi but still... 10 YEARS. That's too long.

Meanwhile maybe the actors/actresses would like to do something ELSE? Especially while they're young enough.

If SyFy's contacts mean a show gets a LOT more expensive after X years, then pulling the plug makes sense.

AllAlone

[17]May 20, 2012

In some respects perhaps shows should be pulled after 5/6 years, especially if their plots are getting repetitive, or their ratings are falling. If you live in the UK or Europe you will be aware of the following:- Coronation street, on air for 51 (yes, fifty one years three times a week) Eastenders 27 years (three times a week) Emmerdale, forty years ( three times a week) Now, if we are talking about repetitive plots ..............they just pick up on a news story and incorporate it into next weeks editions, they follow each others plot lines, so a murder in Albert Square will be followed by one inCoronation Street and Emmerdale.Then of course there is "the Moustrap" which is now in it's 60th year in London's West End, still attracting audiences. And how about Law & Order, CSI and all of the spin offs? Surely 22 and 12 years respectivley is enough? Surely the plot lines must be repetitive by now? There does seem to be an imbalance somewhere along the line, doesn't there, as to why some shows just go on and on and on, where others are cancelled much sooner.

Certainly cast members may wish to move on to new projects, shows may have a finite life, but that is no excuse for replacing these programmes with cheap mindless pap about decorating houses/cakes, men in cages trying to hit each other,hunting for paranormal entities that are never going to reveal themselves or finding properties for people who have no intention of moving house!

MajLorne

[18]Aug 4, 2012
    • level: 21
    I missed this thread ealier and just wanted to comment about my agreement with what catstewart brilliantly posted. And :smacks forhead: lol, you are right Grimm is a rebooted SU2. I loved SU2, but I never got interested with Grimm. I had enough with Supernatural and Fringe competing for my attention in the week.

MrBovineOrdure

[19]Aug 26, 2012
    • level: 6

I remember reading in either one the the Star Trek TOS autobiographies or perhaps a posting by Joe Michael Strakzinski (Babylon 5) that after 7 years, the actor's contracts tend to get renegotiated to MUCH higher salaries. Given that a show is that popular for that long, its the nature of the beast. Then again, that was a decade or two ago since I read that, things might be different now.

I liked Eureka from the start, but felt it was getting a little stale. Still, it never fell below "a show whose DVD's I would buy" status. The last episode was better than what I've seen for the whole of this season.

SyFy's been on this road for a LONG time. Cancelling Crusades, Sanctuary, SGU, (sorry, Star Gate SG1 ran it's 10 year course, and I always thought Star Gate Atlantis was a poor retread of SG1), Battlestar Galactica (though they ended that one nicely it still had another year's of story in it.) replacing them with Wrestling and reality drek even before they changed their name to SyFy.

At least Warehouse 13, and Haven are still on and I can live with the delay of watching it on HULU. Like others, I've turned off the DISH and turned to Nexflix and HULU.

That too is the nature of the beast. Wonder if they're listening? Wonder if they can manage something positive other than their bottom line?

Mr BO

Edited on 08/26/2012 8:41am