Eureka

God Is in the Details

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Sep 11, 2007 on Syfy

• When A Good Show Tries To Appeal To The "Other" Audience

I love Eureka, from the pilot to the brilliant series finale. However, this is the only episode that I always hesitate to watch. To clarify, yes, I am an atheist. That does not mean, however, that I discriminate against shows simply for having religious context. In fact, I enjoy watching shows like Ghost Whisperer, Charmed, and Touched by an Angel. However, the whole religious appeal is simply not compatible with the premise of this show, taking place in a science-oriented town with science-oriented characters.

The out-of-context quote from Einstein at the beginning, Larry making weak analogies connecting the strange events to parts of the Bible (Glowing skin as transfigurations? Really?), and the cheesy scene near the end with the whole town all dressed up and singing amazing grace were definitely eye-rolling.

But the most cringe-worthy moments were with Jo and Henry. Jo being spiritual I can accept. My problem is that with all the crazy, impossible situations that she and Jack face on a regular basis, Jo always has Carter's back, except in this episode, when she not only backs down when Carter does his job and questions the pastor, but tells him flat-out that he's going to hell. That was offensively out of character.

And then, there's Henry. When Jack asks who stands to benefit from the series of alleged miracles, Henry blatantly declares, "God!" and then accuses Carter of jumping to conclusions! This is the same character who said in the "Alienated" episode that he believes in Occam's razor (that between predictive theories, you choose the one that has fewer assumptions).

There are shows about religion and there are shows about science. No matter how hard or delicately you try, incorporating one into the other never goes smoothly. And Eureka is not the only show to go out of its way just to satisfy the "other 80%". I remember a more recent episode of Bones that was filmed entirely through the perspective of a skull, where everyone, including Dr. Brennan, talks to it, and in a Ghost-Whisperer-style scene, the ghost moves into the light.

Like any other shameless plug, I just shrug it off, and try to enjoy it the best that I can. At least Eureka and all of its characters return back to normal in the next episode, like it never even happened. I'll just call this one a flop.
  • Jarring to say the least!

This episode has to be by far the most annoying episode of any show i have ever watched, I found the breakneck speed with which this show morphed from a a lighthearted & goofy show about a group of scientists living a secret life of cutting edge technology development & dealing with the crazy repercussions of when their experiments went awry to a show about a load of Bible thumping zelots ready to lynch their supposedly much beloved sherif at the drop of a hat because he dared to do his job & uses the perviously much loved motif of the show, which is to trot out Occam's Razor & accuse the preacher albeit politely of being the cause of the vaguely religious occurrences around the town Jarring to say the least, (remember this is a town of scientists belting out miraculous occurrences on a daily basis). All the characters acted totally out of character in this episode. I really wish people would stop quoting/referencing Einstein as religious in internet discussions(though i do realize I am about to become part of the problem :P),Einstein was NOT religious!!!!,at best he had a wishy-washy view of spirituality which was complex & highly personal & not relatable for the most part to other peoples metaphysical agendas or lack there of. He was fond of using religious motifs to illustrate his ideas, but this has more to do with the fact he lived in cultures which were founded & had developed in parrallel to Christian religions & for the most part he was living,working & trying to explain complex ideas & concepts in terms of analogies which would be easily understood by people from these self same cultural backgrounds. For Einsteins definitive views on religion all you need to do is read what he wrote in his letter to the philosopher Eric Gutkind in 1954 in which he wrote "The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." and "For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions"
  • This is an episode I wish they'd left out.

2.1
    This is my last favorite episode of Eureka so far. It failed me for several reasons.

First, as an unbeliever I didn't appreciate the intrusion of religion into a sci-fi comedy show. Arguably, the episode alleges a possible reconciliation of two fundamentally incompatible subjects: the pursuit of science and the purported religious "knowledge". To assume such has been called appeasement is and a highly contentious issue.

Second, there is a well-known correlation between scientific credentials and irreligiosity. Very few, if any, top-notch scientists are religious and a church is counter-indicated in a town with the demographics of Eureka. I can deal with the pseudo-science of a sci-fi show, but not with people acting out of character.

Third, if the authors opted for a religious topic to begin with, I would have hoped they'd keep it generic instead of specifically referring to Christianity.

Fourth, the topic of the episode made it impossible for me to suspend my disbelief (literally and figuratively) and the script therefore comes across as more stereotypical than usual: Set up and introduce the to-be-suspected perp, mayhem ensues, but wait -- it wasn't who was set up to whodunnit.
  • When God visists Eureka all hell breaks loose.

This episode had some interesting implications regarding where religion/mythology and science intersects. Of course, as is American television tradition, it turns out there is no God but Christian faith and it all ends in some queasy cheese fest honouring church going and family values. Give me a break. I do find scientific exploration of theology fascinating and an thoroughly interesting and philosophical debate. And I don't think that a scientific mind must by default exclude the mythical and mystical, I do however feel it must exclude the religious. Mainly because there's too much proof of religion as a human construction, a fluctuating and changing platform for various ideas tied to specific places and events in history. Even if one chooses to believe in a higher power there is no reason to infuse this power with the limitations given to it but whatever religion, and to limit this debate to Christianity and it's mythology is simply... dull. Yes, Eureka, your perspective was both dull and predictable and to end it with a full church singing "amazing grace" was just tasteless and tacky. I've enjoyed this show immensely this season up to this episode which was simply pointless. To top that of there was little, if any, amusing character interaction. The only good thing was the return of Niall Matter, lets hope he's back in the next episode and that they got rid of Eric Wallace...
  • Horrible garbage designed to appeal to christian illiterates.

Eureka plots have always been a very light take on science, with marvelous inventions and discoveries tossed into each episode without any scientific background or explanation. But so far that's been part of the fun of the show. One topic that has been avoided completely is religion, and rightfully so since it's the antithesis of what the town of Eureka is supposed to be about.

Now it looks like some moron at the network level has decided they need to broaden the appeal of the show to the 80% of Americans who claim to be "Christians". Suddenly there's a church in Eureka, and even though it starts off almost completely unoccupied the "scientific" community of Eureka is hit by a few strange events (though not much stranger than the usual run of the show) and suddenly all the scientists are spouting gospel and turning their lives over to "the lord".

This is pure right-wing evangelical wish-fulfillment fantasy. The cast should have refused to participate in this garbage. It certainly has ruined the show for my family.
  • An interesting concept with a flawed execution.

A lot of criticism of this episode seems to center around the fact that religion has no part in a show based on science. Wait. Did I say fact? I probably should have said 'belief'. After all science fiction stories have been dealing with religion for almost as long as they've existed. I'm sorry, but religion and science are not incompatible. The myth that science and religion can't exist in the same mind is probably a large part of the reason that religious people are so skeptical of science and vice versa. Propagating this myth is only going to lead to more idiocy like the movement to not teach evolution in schools.

In any case, contrary to what some other reviews have stated, this episode does not paint the entire town as some sort of uber-religious group. In fact the episode opens with a church that is almost completely empty. The entire theme of the episode is how this group of scientifically minded people is forced to deal with things beyond their understanding. It's a laudable cause, but quite simply falls a bit flat.

As more and more crazy events happening the church numbers swell. This mirrors normal human nature, but DOES feel a bit out of place in Eureka where--let's face it--crazy things happen every day that most people would consider miracles. It makes no real sense for them to choose this particular crisis to start believing in God.

That said I really enjoy the fact that Henry is one of the regulars at the church. It makes a lot of sense for his character, who tends towards the softer side of life. I'd also point out that it isn't really all that strange for there to be a church in Eureka. Scientists who are also religious DO exist. Most of these other reviewers seem to be ignoring well documented famous scientists who believed in God (Einstein anyone?).

Much is also being made about the fact the episode deals with Christianity as opposed to just 'religion'. One other reviewer even went so far as to claim that the episode must have been prompted by some sort of right wing extremist executive. But at the end of the day it seems like a stupid complaint to me. When you get right down to it the Christian religion is a part of the very fabric of our culture--I mean come on, it's considered national news when a man wants to swear on something that isn't the bible. I'm not going to say that's right, but it isn't about what's right...it's about what sort of church they'd be most likely to have. Americans drive big cars too. That isn't right either...but people don't start loudly complaining every time they see an SUV on TV. The fact is if you're going to set a show in a country that show should feature the culture of that country. It's plain and simple and I don't see what the point of being confused about it is.

The best scene in the episode is the scene where Carter talks Henry from essentially killing himself to be with the woman he loves. The idea that Heaven might be an alternate dimension is fascinating, but one has to question whether Henry would really be willing to believe it...after all, if there are multiple dimensions out there I don't see how you could pin point one as being Heaven without doing a little more work. Still if Henry has a weak point it's Kim and this is an easy answer for him. Whether the logic behind the scene is perfect or not, the emotion is. Top notch acting really gets across the grief that is tearing Henry apart at the seams.

Also interesting is that the scene in some ways mirrors the season finale from season one. Once again Carter is convincing Henry to let Kim go for the greater good. Of course Carter doesn't remember that, and this time there is much less certainty that Kim is actually in the equation (is she through that portal of light? Seems highly unlikely to me). Still Henry must have noticed.

All in all the episode ends with the entire town going to church, and this is where it falls the flattest. If it didn't make sense for all the scientists of flock to church the moment strange things start happening, then it really doesn't make sense for them to keep going after strange things STOP happening. This can't even hide behind the excuse of human nature, as people invariably stop going to church once a crisis has passed. I think it would have been a better ending to once again show an empty church at the end--a sort of sad, but honest, take on human nature.

At the end of the day this episode can't overcome all it's flaws, but still has solid moments. It is far from the dung heap that some are making it out to be, but it is also far from being the best thing the show has ever done.
  • Religion in a Scientific Community...

Now to find out all of the goings on in Eureka where all scientifically bound, then how at the end of the show, that the entire church was full?

Carter is remembering everything about Henry and all that Henry had done to Jack, in the regaurds to Kim.

Stark beat Carter to the punch if the three word bomb on Allison, which is a shame because I think they both mean it. Even though Stark was so busy being the head of GD that he wasnt a very good husband, now that he is not, he may be this time around or get ingulfed in their sons study. Carter on the other hand may pull it out in the end.
  • Signs indicating the apocalypss show up in Eureka.

A cleverly plotted episode which keeps viewers guessing what happened.

When some people, including Zoe, lose their voice, water turns to blood and Allison starts to glow like an angel, Carter comes to suspect the resident pastor, who used to be a physicist. This notion seems to be supported by the fact that attendance at her church increases overnight, so she is the one who benefits from the events. For a change, Jo en Henry do not really support this idea of his. Nathan is desperately trying to cure Allison but when he fails, he calls in Kevin and asks him to heal his mother using the powers he has because of the artifact.

When Carter, JO and Henry discover that the effects may be cuased by soundwaves and the woman playing the organ in the is the leading scientist in this field, they discover that she caused the events. They shutdown her machine at the same time as Keving tries to heal his mom.

We now don't really know what caused the events to stop. was it Kevin or shutting down the machine, a nice plot twist...
  • Eureka has been smitten with Revelations- type Biblical events. I was really excited to see how a science heavy show would treat religion.

I liked this episode for so many reasons. It did not insult the beliefs of religious people and it stuck to a scientific outcome.

There's a new church in Eureka. Shortly after the pastor complains that she isn't getting as many people in the church as she'd like biblical events start to manifest themselves in the town. Zoe loses her ability to speak, Allison starts glowing like an angel, fish water turns red and the whole town goes dark. People start to suspect that something religious going on.

There were some great lines in this episode. I loved the mention that Global Dynamics may be over a Hellmouth. Jo's new boyfriend holding his breath until she talks to him. Jo mentioning she owns a grenade launcher. (Good to see I'm not the only female that thinks grenade launchers are hot!)

This episode shines with the explanation of the "religious" events. Teryl Rothery was our mad scientist of the week. She was so grief stricken at the loss of her husband that she was trying to create a portal to heaven so that she could join him. Not to sound harsh but it sounded like a really nerdy means to commit suicide. The side effect of the portal was infrasonic frequencies and it's reactions with different elements it encountered. This is was what was going on in the town, nothing mystical. We discover that if the portal is shut down, the incidents would stop happening and its effects would reverse. It's a bit of a happy, typical ending but I liked it.

The twist of this episode was Kevin and his "abilities". Nathan seems to think that Kevin's powers healed Allison. What I saw was Allison getting better when the portal was shut down. I'm still not convinced about Kevin having any powers yet. They'll have to develop that a bit more for me to buy it.
  • My least favorite so far of season 2

While I think that the whole religious aspect was interesting... (and I hate to say this) they missed the boat on this one... I normally would never give this show below a 9, but this episode was rather poorly written and executed... the acting was still on top of things, and it was interesting seeing some lesser characters like the guy who grew the plants that made everyone crazy in "Purple Haze" (season 1 Epi 10)... and the felonious new researcher from "E-MC...?" (season 2 epi 8)... the "mystery of the week" was implausible, and poorly executed... ~~~Spoiler~~~ I mean I think it would have been better if it the motive behind it was truly her trying to cause various events in the Bible to transpire instead of her just accidentally causing very specific things to happen in random places in town...
    Maybe i had my expectations up due to the shows usually high standards... I was thinking this might actually be a nice place to bridge science with religion, at least in one small, secretive town... but this episode didn't really touch but briefly on the social gap between the two... or provide any significant plot developments (except Carter's flashes of memory from the Henry incident)... or any interesting new scientific ideas...
    ~~~end spoilers~~~ anyway, I'm just all around disappointed with this episode.