Eureka

Liftoff

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Jul 11, 2011 on Syfy

• The sub-plot, in which Carter and Alison unintentionally question their faith in each other, is more interesting than the main story line.

Carter: "You've always trusted my hunches, before." Alison: "I know. But, this time, you didn't give me time to trust you." Uhm; hello! Earth to Alison? The time wasn't his to give! It was literally either do or (Zane and Fargo) die. And, quite frankly? The pay-off on all his previous hunches, during earlier crises, should have _earned_ Carter your trust at that exact crucial moment. Or, failing that, your blind faith, at least. Pardon me, for the partial rant. But, if there's one thing that sets me off it's people (even fictional ones) using the words "faith" and "trust," too interchangeably. As if they were synonymous...which they are not! No more so than "courtesy" and "respect." Trust, like, respect has to be earned by everyone before being given to anyone. Whereas, faith--like courtesy--is offered automatically (if not unconditionally); hence, the adjective "blind." I realize that this new stage in Carter and Alison's relationship is fragile. But, if it's going to become stronger, they have to extend each other a little more faith. Because, doing that--and having that faith rewarded rather than betrayed--is the _best_ way to earn each other's trust. And, to be honest? I've never been able to summon that kind of faith. So, most people would probably opine that I'm all the poorer for it. Such being the case; Carter? Alison? Do as I say, not as I do. And, perhaps, by the end of Season 3, you'll delight me, and all the rest of your loyal viewers, by saying "I do" to each other!