Eureka

Once in a Lifetime

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Oct 03, 2006 on Syfy

• A great yet bittersweet episode. Jack and Allison begin to make a life together but when Henry corrects a dangerous timeline split, things return to "normal".

A great episode. However I was so disappointed when the timeline was "restored" and all that happened between Jack and Allison was forgotten. I almost knew it was too good to be true but I wished they could have kept the alternate timeline a reality for a while longer. Another thing that struck me was how particularly devious and conniving Henry was here and how annoyingly predictable Jack's reactions were to it all. Surely Jack's character is supposed to be somewhat dense but after the hundredth time of being duped by Henry, it started to wear thin. Before Jack could find out the truth, Henry restores the timeline and afterwards, Jack continues to play cat and mouse with Henry before finally finding out the truth some episodes later. Quite bittersweet and somewhat anti-climactic but one of my favorite episodes.
  • This is definately a classic episode.

This is such a great episode. I still watch it a lot. There is such chemistry between Jack and Allison. (Why wasn't Kevin in the family scene at the beginning? Zoe was.) It was nice to see how it could turn out. The relationship between Jo and Jim is kinda eeww, tho. Actually, it's eeeww! (Every time I see Matt Frewer in a show I swear the show doesn't last. Hopefully, he doesn't jinx thisone.) It's kind of nice seeing a "happy ending" even if, in the end, how you want things to turn out isn't how it does end up.
  • What a concept. Very moving.

This is a great episode. There are so many things that are hard to pick out. Seeing the relationships of the future and then the past. It made me really really want to see what happens next how he could go back. Personnally, I am still hoping that will be dealt in more detail in the future. I especially liked seeing the "dumb" girl graduate as valedictorian.
    It was also heart-breakign, the decision that had to be made to save the world. You could see the pain that Henry was in and that Jack was also in - all in all a really great episode.
  • Series final and a spectacular one at that. Dealing with future and past with a slight feel of alternate reality.

Just what we all waited for from this show. Its 2010 and we come to a graduation and happy town. Carter is married, Henry is in love, Zoe isn't in juvi, and joe finally lets her hair down. We get the emotional aspect with the graduation and the fact that carter married allison with a new baby on the way. Henry is in love with Kim and he is also head of Eureka (more or less).
    Stark is gone!
    and Joe and Taggart are finally a couple.
    Of course no life can be perfect so we find that because Henry kinda saved Kim from her death four years earlier (because of an experiment of Stark's with the artifact) the two time lines we beginning to merge. Its pretty much heroic how after Carter figures this all out gives up his life with allison and everything else to go back and stop Henry from saving Kim. Now Carter has memories of the next four years and must live with the past all over again. Fabulous ending, my review doesn't give it justice. Can't wait to see what's next for Season 2 but we can tell it's gonna be amazing! It, hopefully, will be even better than the first!
  • A very desperate Stark wants a sample of the artifact to study, so he enlists one of his scientists to do just that. What happens as a result of his obsession changes the town of Eureka.

This episode promised to be special in the clips and commercials leading up to its showing. I must say that it was pretty special.

Once again, Nathan Stark is obsessing over the artifact, and this time he pulls Kim into the picture. At the beginning of the episode, she is endeavoring to retrieve a sample from the artifact to determine just what the dang thing is. The artifact, a round sphere with bright lights, releases a powerful blast. In the next instance, the town of Eureka is thrust forward 4 years. What we see in 4 years time is that the artifact has made the dreams of the citizens of Eureka come true.

I absoulutely love this premise! It is from this point that we see Carter and Allison being a loving, but expecting husband and wife, Zoe/valedictorian, Henry/Kim married, and Jo/Taggert a couple. The only problem is that the original time line is interfering with the new, improved artifact created timeline. The usual squad must solve this problem. In the end, Jack goes back in time...with his mind.. to solve the problem. As a fan of the show, I loved that the writers gave us glimpses of what could be at the end of the first season. I am still rooting for the Jack and Allison love connection. The ending of the episode was sweet because we find that Jack still retains memories of his future self. Will Jack benefit from that knowledge of his time spent as man and wife with Allison? Only second season will tell us. One troublesome spot for me was the Henry discovery later in the episode. Henry makes a decision to save Kim that will in effect kill a lot of people, possibly the world, and he tells her that he would gladly do it again just to save her. I had problems digesting that bit. What does it say for Henry's character? On the flip side, Jack leaves his love, and he goes back in time to save mankind. I reverted back to my Mr. Spock logic. The good of the many outweighs the good of the few or the one. Mr. Spock as a Vulcan forgot about the blinding effects of love and the influence it has to manifest itself in different ways with different humans.

One last thing about the episode was the time travel bit. By the way, I loved seeing Walter's tachyon gizmo again. One thing that made me giggle, because it was kinda silly to me, was that concept of sending your mind back in time. I don't get it ... to coin Tom Hanks'character in Big.
    How? What? Why? When? I know the artifact is old, but how can.....? Nevermind, don't attempt to understand it. Just enjoy the episode because after all, it is only once in a lifetime.
  • Jack gets back to time to fix the timeline.. is this a season finale ? Eureka deseverved something better.

So Jack wake up in the moornig and... big surprise: Allison is beside of him. Woah! what happened ? We have been looking for their relationship for all the season and now we missed it ? Oh wait Allison is pregnant! Oh yes we are in the future 4 years.. what a smart and original idea from the writers. So Jack gets back in the past and fix it all, and guess what ? surprise! In the end nothing has changed and we now nothing more than before about the artifact or section5. My 3 years old cousin could have done a better job.
  • Great way to finish out the first season of this show

This episode was great. I guess I am one of those people who is a sucker for a happy ending. This episode gave us a glimpse at a possible future of Eureka and now I am hoping parts of that come true. I really liked the way that Allison and Jack got together and were having a baby. This is ruined though by the colliding of two time lines. Apparently someone went back and changed something using the machine first shown in the pilot of this series. Jack has to go back in time and forfeit that happy ending. But hopefully he can work back toward that future that we got a glimpse of. Looking forward to the next season of this show.
  • A wonderful ending to a wonderful season. After the timeline is messed up, Jack is sent back to fix it even if it means losing the life he loves.

I absolutely loved this episode. Call me a softy, but I would love for the story line to actually play out like that. I kind of think it's unfair that he has to remember all of that while nobody else does. I am so excited that it was picked up for a second season; I can not wait for next summer so I can watch it. The show balances the story line so well with the comedy that it doesn't make it seem like a cheesy show. I would love for the first season to come out on DVD so that I can watch the episodes any time I want.
  • A great finale. The artifact allows a glimpse of a possible future Eureka.

Really liked this one. The scene featuring Walter made me think I'd missed an earlier episode! Can't wait for next season and many more. The show has had consistently good writing and gets the humour and drama balance just right. The characters are well drawn and fun to spend an hour with each week.
  • what a nice season finale. We get to see the "mistery" boss of the town shrink (sort of) as far As i could tell it was Stark (a alternate version maybe?) This season finale sure gives me great hope for next s

7.9
    what a nice season finale.
    We get to see the "mistery" boss of the town shrink (sort of)

as far As i could tell it was Stark (a alternate version maybe?)

This season finale sure gives me great hope for next season! hope carter will get married and that the town gets better and better.

As for the progress in the series.. well a few episodes I thought it would not see a complete season 1 but I'm glad I was wrong :)

The Eureka serie is now one of my regular shows I watch and enjoy.

Cant wait till the next season starts !
  • A wonderful season finale. The timeline gets screwed up and has to be fixed at all costs.

After an experiment in section 5 the whole timeline has changed for the better but it also meens its own distruction. It has to be put right at all cost.

A wonderful ending to the first series of a terrific show. Im pleased the powers that be have announced a second series. This episode shows us things that might, could be but being another timeline it is always to be seen what realy is gone happen. I for one am gone be there for the second series. I hope they can keep the high quality of the show going or even improve on them.

Good actors, wonderful stories makes for great entertainment can you ask for more? Yeah yeah I know world peace and all that....
  • Time/Space Shift, Poignant, Fun

Season Finale, was wonderful, essentially, we see a change in the space/time continuum (soooo star trekky) and the people of Eureka figure it out, as their new timeline starts to unravel. They find themselves in a quandry as to whether they want to keep their new lives or go back to their old ones. As the new time line continues to break down though, they realize that they have to reverse everything to put Eureka back to rights. Of course, our favorite Sheriff puts off some awefully funny lines, Allison is really sweet as a pregnant wife, Jim and Jo are funky little couple as well. It's sad when you figure out how much all those people are destined to lose when they put Eureka back to right. Funny, yet poignant. Can't wait till next season, I'll miss this cleverly crafted scifi comedy.
  • The finale was great! We finally find out a little bit more about who exactly our friendly bed and breakfast / town shrink is working for. Well.... kind of

It was a well thought out show with a touch of "Back to the future" mixed in. It was nice to see what could happen, yet also see what DOES happen. The actual reason for everything in this ep to take place is a HUGE piece of the season. It takes a little time to digest exactly everything that took place. Without giving any spoilers, I found myself 5 minutes after the show ended realizing what exactly just occured and more importantly WHY!! The why is extremely pivitol in the show itself. Not to mention the very ending gives us some interesting info to wonder about until the new season next summer returns. Thank you scifi for giving us a season 2.
  • A very fun and different episode.

It was fun to see certain characters get together and have a life together. Although I was a little surprised to see Zoe so smart, but I guess four years in Eureka can change a person.

It was nice to see Carter and Allison together. We always knew they would end up together and it was nice to have that confirmed.

I understand why they were so upset to have to change the time line back to the way things were, but I'm sure most of what we saw will still happen.

I don't think that Kim could of changed everyones futures that much. Jack and Allison should still end up together in the end.

This was definitely a good episode.
  • The season finale with a twist from the other episodes.

Well this was a powerful last episode. The alternate reality future was really cool. It seem like a harsh episode in some ways, and had a real sad ending. With allison and carter still not a couple this season hasn't really developed much of the characters. We see a different side of Henry and i can't help wonder if he'll stay in eureka. I hope this isn't the end of the show. I hope to see a second season coming around sometime in early 2007. I now am out of a favorite show to watch and will become bored with reruns yet again. In all, a really good episode.
  • Loved the alternate time line!

I really liked this episode, but it has me worried. This was a wonderful job of dealing with a time paradox, and showing a possible future for Eureka. My fear is that this could also be a way to cancel the show. They have tied up all of the story lines and now they can just be done. Boy, I hope I'm wrong! The Carter's, Lupo and Taggert, Zoe as validictorian, wow! I also liked the story because it shows Henry staying in Eureka.

I did not like the episode because killing off Henry's love to correct the error, does not bode well for him staying around for the next season.

There was just so much great stuff in this episode, its hard to get it all down. I am looking forward to next season, and hopefully, Sci-Fi channel is also!
  • A

really great episode exploring the sci-fi staple of time travel and its consequences.

Thoroughly enjoyed the premise behind this episode. I was glad to see that the usual escape ploy of the multiple universe theory wasn\'t utilized/explored here as it has been on other sci-fi shows. The episode gave a little more insight into the shadowy conspiracy and the mysterious device in sector 5 without concluding either issue.

The only plot point I had a problem with was that the sheriff\'s daughter, Zoe, ended up as the valedictorian of her graduating class. That seemed a little far fetched, but other than that I had no problem with this episode.

A great wrap up to a very promising first season.
  • every one ends up in the future

i dont think this was one of the best episodes but as a season finale its not to bad, it dosent leave you hanging to much. carter and that lady(yes i still dont have her name down!) being togeter was not something i liked, i thought it was to sweet and i missed how they joked around, i was glad that jo and the hunter guy was still together, seeing that one guy being the boss(and i forgot his name) was weird it just wasent like him and it was really sad that his love died, hopfully it wont change his character to much and i hope carter will forget about the future cuz that would make the relationship between him and that lady alittle weird.
  • Blew me away

in three words it was great I truly loved this SEASON (hopefully) finally and truly hope for the second season to come. It is said that Scifi network wanted to recreate the summer show genre with Eureka and I think that it did. This episode summed it all up but still left us with what-ifs, like are carter and allison going to get together, will stark be fired, what will happen to Henery, and of coursewho was that that Bethany was talking to? It is a great show and that episode was good. It was definitly showing character development. The only bad part about this episode was that it was the SEASON finale. This SEASON went out with a BANG!
  • Best Episode Yet

I can honestly say that I do think that this was the nest episode of Eureka yet. It had musch more emotional drama and content than most of the other episodes.
    Loved the Carter-Alison marriage, they really seemed to feel right with each other. Loved the Jo-Taggert relationship and the super good acting of Joe Morton.
    One thing I did not like was the fact that they made future Zoey seem like one of the Stepford wives. How the heck was she going to end up valedictorian first of all and second future Zoey's personality was definately at zero. I much prefer her as troublemaking still finding her way Zoey. Also future Nathan's hair was like he licked a light socket.
    Please come back Eureka!!!
  • Second Time Around

This is one of the best darn episodes of the show that I've seen. The time travel plot is pritty familar to "Back to the Future Part 2" or anything other time travel story you can think of. I'll admit that probably that the whole crisis problem in this episode is the biggest inconsistancy, supposedly the time the characters are living is not suppose to happen that it's alternate. That makes sense but how could two different time streams conflict with one another if the alternate time line already happened, plus shouldn't it actually be God's job to determine how time is suppose to go? Never mind the plot of the story since it's not that important, what was truely interesting about this episode is seeing what happened to the characters (or would could happen to the characters)years latter and it's easy to accept because it all makes sense. From Henry getting Stark's job and marrying the love of his life. Carter and Alison finally getting together and are about to have a child. Even the odd but sweet romance with Jo and Jim both who somehow got together at some point, it's not hard to believe since both have a common interest in action. And Nathan moving to Los Angeles, boss of a branch of his company, and still well Nathan (I doubt this guy can ever change). It was also emotionally heart breaking as Carter had to do the right thing to save the universe because you realize the severe price of it. When Henry breaks down in emotion it's believable. And the end of course is openended, from what will happen to Henry now, Carter and Alison somewhere along the line hooking up (hope so cause Nathan is just not right for her). But most of all that plot thread that was slightly shown on season 1 of an evil conspircy faction where Beverly is obviously a member and their goal is the artifact. What do they hope to gain with the artifact, are they planing to destroy Eureka, does Carter have enough knowlege of the future to be able to catch on to them on time and nail them? That will have to wait till Season 2.
  • I loved the two lawmen as a couple.

I really enjoyed this episode. It was so cute seeing the sherrif with alyson. Plus we finially got ot see her kid again. The only thing I did not like was that poor Henry go tthe short end of the stick. He lost his love. I liked how joe and the dog catcher hooked up more. I am glad they showed them after he was trying ot get her to do something. I loved all the little quips they have about each other. It was so sad that the sheriff goes back in time knowing how good his life wsa and still has ot change it.
  • This episode basically took everything and fastforwarded to a time 4 year in the furture after an event dealing with the artifact.

ok, First, this was a great episode, tho i would have to say i would have prefered that charector not die, after all they had done to her over the time in this the first season, it was mean to kill her like that. anyways, so it is 2010, and weird Stuff is happening (i know it always happens in this series). anyways, they find out what did it, and they fix it, basically Henry switched his conciousness with his past self and Mettled with time. Then 4 years later the 2 tempral streams were colapsing opon itself, then they figure out what happened, and send carter back to finish the episode. Personally the only thing i am wondering after this episode is will carter stop being a bumbling fool? or will he not have/use his future knowlege to prevent his own stupidities.
  • The Season Finale to the 1st Season.

All in all, this season finale went great. It was a good finale to the 1st season, although, i have to say i was kinda bummed there's only 13 episodes in this season. The script was well written and the actors were good, along with a pretty good plot line. I rate this episode a 9.5 out of a 10.