Eureka

Phased and Confused

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Sep 09, 2008 on Syfy

• Inconsistency for the sake of plot is a sign of a poor story. It sacrifices quality for the sake of shoe-horning a plot into a series it does not suit.

By inconsistency, I mean illogical choices and behaviors written into characters to fit the story. In this case, there are so many levels of contrivance that the whole episode is ruined.

Foremost among these contrivances is Carter's lack of reproach when Lexi gives permission for Zoe's yoga excursion. A simple, flat "You are not her parent" response from Carter is all that was needed to finish this plot thread in its tracks. However, to stretch the thread throughout the entire episode the most logical and probable response anyone would give is ignored.

The next level of contrivance is the science, or more specifically the logical extension of science. Of late, the series has been treating science as magic, presenting scientific ideas that have no foundation in reality under the rationalization that "Eureka is SO advanced, they can make it happen". For example, last episode the rationale was to present a mummy for tourism to make money; however they used anti-gravity technology to move an sealed tomb, intact, half-way across the globe. The money from tourism would be paltry compared to what could be earned from the introduction of anti-gravity into the commercial environment. Again the writer's fail to see past the contrivances needed to make this episode happen. In this case its the conveniences that prevented the severed finger from being identified, namely that the "DNA was scrambled". If this was true, the there is no chance to save either Carter or Chuck because even if GE finds a way of keeping them corporeal, their cells couldn't reproduce properly with ruined DNA replicating. The contrivance exists solely to keep the mystery going, and only makes the resolution illogical.

The next level of contrivance is the sudden interest in Lexi by all the males in Eureka. This only exists because the writers hoped to obfuscate the true identity of Capt. Eureka from the viewer. Lexi has been in the town for a while, but only now do men start showing interest -- interest as convoluted as the entire superhero plot to win her affections?

Which then leads to the contrivance of Lexi's unexplicable incapacity to see that Capt. Eureka obviously is endangering people. He blatantly exacerbated the already ludicrous "gateway security" situation, expressly caused damage to Carter's vehicle, and unthinkingly brought risk to civilians by removing safety signs. How could anyone, even if they were smitten by Capt. Eureka, not be able to see that? But Carter has to repeatedly badger Lexi until she sees the light? The woman is not stupid, but the writing sure makes her seem that way.

Next is the contrivance of hitting a button setting off the fail save lockdown. Really, my mind boggles at how ludicrous it was for "the third highest IQ" to instigate the trouble. Not to mention the ever present pout and poor portrayal made the character into a characterization. But without doing so, the story couldn't work.

I can go on: The cute use of Zoe's birthday as the clue instead of a numerical patern like a binary SOS or the nationally recognized 911, yet there was no way to know if Carter would even see the signal.

The entire sequence running down several flights of stairs from a few rats. Most people would just back up out of their way, and the rats certainly wouldn't follow them like a tidal wave. But then at the bottom of the stairs, when they all finally agree to leave, they look down either side of the passage away from the staircase?? Come again? Have they forgotten the cardiopulmonary workout they just had? Giving the writers the benefit of the doubt, they would have looked at the stairs and said "do you remember how many flights we came down?"

The "one chance cryptex" was little more than a combination lock with an astronomically high amount of possible cominations. Further, all he did was move the tumblers into position and lock unlocked itself -- he didn't push a button or pull a lever. That means there is no method for the device to know when to apply the check the settings of its tumblers for the correct sequence. Follow that to its logical conclusion, there is no situation that the tumblers are checked to be in the wrong configuration, so there is no foundation for Thorn's fear of the lock fusing. And how convenient it was for Zane to have thought to bring climbing gear when he had no idea he'd be encountering an elevator shaft. And then Thorn leaves Zane, with not supervision, to climb down on his own and instead heads back to town? With how zealous she's been to discover the secret?

How about the fact immediately after using the phasing suit only once Carter begins phasing uncontrollably but it took longer, several times in fact, for Chuck? Or why didn't the suit lose coherency as well? Or why when cornered at the hospital did Capt. Eureka decide to run through Jo and Carter instead of going the opposite direction, the direction he phased in on?

Or the fact that not only is there a giant biodome underneath Eureka, but a vast military complex that has been forgotten about as well? That's avoided notice by a burrowing vehicle that's been criss-cossing underneath the town. And the climate/sewage network that lurks under every building in Eureka -- including the local high school that was built right next to it. No one, not an engineer or construction worker or anyone noticed underground pipelines, wires, or even the metal wall already there?

I mean... C'mon -- Flying Rabbits??? What science fiction principle is this even based on? "Biological gravity wave propulsion"? So now a serum can make cells produce anti-gravity... Yeah, get that mummy tour going ASAP, no miracles here. It's another contrivance meant to pose as evidence that no one at GE was responsible, but it is just farcical when looked at with an analytical eye.

Honestly, with this non-ending parade of contrivances, you have to wonder if the writers put any fore though into the story other than say "Wouldn't it be cool if...?" at that weeks pitch session. You can practically see the series of choices the writers made starting at the core plot in order to justify it unfolding the way they wanted. Since they are writing for a pre-existing series, they failed to realize that changing characters to fit a plot only serves to make the writing seem forced and, well... contrived.
  • A super hero is in Eureka and he seems to cause trouble where ever he goes.

This was a fun episode. It is only natural that someone would try to be a super hero sooner or later. Funny thing is, he was out to impress the girl, (his secret crush, Lexie) and ends up looking incompetent. When Lexie gets stuck at the reactive primative field, and the super hero shows up and keeps landing on Carter's Jeep roof, I laughed. my kids and I rewatched that part several times. Loved the comic relief. This episode is setting up for the next couple episodes, with the purple liquid in the bunker and the Fixer's obsession with the bunker.
  • First off, I really like Eureka. I love the possibilities, the quirks. What I absolutely HATE is lazy writing.

My problem with this episode is not the superhero, or the gadgets, or whatever may be the genre reasons not to like it. My problem is the repeated twit-brained writing of the episode. NOT the one-in-a-million things, but the complete lack of simple, solid believable writing. We can start with the entry of Thorne and Zane into the old facility. NO ONE is with them even though leter armed guards stand ready. They don't cover all the entrances, scan for whatever... (Yes, you could argue later there was no choice but it's not set up that way - Thorne works freely around the guard). Then, the same thing is repeated by fantastically bright children, later again with pressing the button in the control room. Only Dee-Dee from Dexter's laboratory should be that stupid, not the third brighest kid in the world. "I'm really sorry" was the save. Great. However, the biggest problem is with the phasing. The theory is fine, far fetched? No problem. Howewer, both our protagonists phased every part of their bodies - except legs. Both should have simply dropped through the earth and stopped somewhere, end of story. And I get, it, it wouldn't make a show, but that is what's called lazy writing; we can't solve a problem so we'll just pretend the problem never existed. Whereas I believe most episods in this show are well written and deserve a lot higher mark, this one was absolutely a miss. Hopefully, the writer(s) had an off-day.
  • Eureka is always a fun ride. A little bit too much comic relief on this one, but overall it was ok.

7.7
    I disliked Lexi's presence on "Phased and Confused". First, they used her for comic relief situations all through the episode - with all the guys acting so silly and drooling all over her 24/7. I just could not buy that, she's too different from eureka's people. And also, they made up this whole minor family fight, but wanted it to look like a major drama, it seemed like a forced, fake thing to me (you know, the whole "i'm her father" fuss which took so long).
    Lexi's arrival was just fine at first, but today she seemed out of place in the series, and i guess she got too much screentime for a side character that add absolutely nothing to the story. Hopefully they'll give her less storylines anytime soon.

Well, now about "Captain Eureka": i actually liked that! It was a great kick, I can picture some of Eureka excentric, nutty, nerdie geniuses actually doing that. It's a urban cliche that today's young computer geeks, science-freaks and suchlikes are also huge Comic book fans. And some of them never grow up. So, being in Eureka, i can't see why one wouldn't play super-hero. It looked more like a homage to the theme, to me. (Ok, the only thing i didn't like, was the excuse for the super-hero to surge: Lexi, again...)

I liked everything else overall, specially Carter confronting the boss in the end (they should have given more to this storyline), and also Zoe's scenes with her friends. Zoe proved to be smarter than her intelligent-but-not-that-much classmates probably assumed. The sci-fi part was ok and deserved a little more than it was given. Fargo's retro-auricular phone device was cool and really made me laugh: "Oh, it just has a problem when it dials names with A's and Z's!". It should have taken them more effort to find the "cure" for the phasing side-effects, it was too prompt and ready and suddenly everyone was happy... you know what i mean? Just a little more drama to give a little more thrill.
  • Is it just me or is Eureka losing its vibe?

This season's arc is much better than in the previous two years but still, it feels like there's just something missing, that the show is slipping into average. Maybe it's just the new, fresh shine rubbing off? Who knows?

Jack's sister is so getting on my nerves! I would have already kicked her out. She has zero common sense and with her irresponsibility, she's totally turning Zoe against Jack. They need to get rid of her really soon.

I liked that Thorne helped them save the kids even though she had to reveal a bit of what she's looking for. She's not a complete villain and that I like about her.

Other than that, kinda an average episode. Though Captain Eureka was funny :P
  • wondering when they would create superheroes in eureka.!

some people would argue that this isn't the best episode to date and i would have to agree with them. However it is always fun to watch the sheriff push himself to do what he doesn't want to do.
    it is also a lot of fun to delve into character analysis between Jack and his sister Lexi, because we learn a little more about their past and what they used to be like. Lexi's fear of motherhood is very apparent in this episode as is the fact the sheriff has to deal with the continuing dangers of living in eureka.
    would'nt we all like to know what agenda eva thorne has though and what would happen between Jack and Allison in the near future.
  • Superhero?

That was THE worst episode of Eureka I have ever seen. It was almost like the writers took a day off and had a monkey write the script. What were they thinking? The whole entire episode seemed to just to be one big joke about a person pretending to be a superhero to impress Jack's sister. The only redeeming thing about this episode was the last five minutes and that epic face-off between Jack and Thorn. Other than that this episode deserves to be buried somewhere in the TV grave yard or trash heap in a place marked unwatchable. Just pathetic yuck :(