Eureka

Purple Haze

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Sep 19, 2006 on Syfy

• Funny, funny, funny!

I can only begin by saying if you were not laughing during this episode then you are not human. This entire episode was one funny line followed by another. When people start acting their exact opposites Jack gets worried. He finds out that only him and Zoe are not effected. They learn that a plant that Seth is growing is producing a pollen that is effecting the towns residents. Jack has to destroy the plants to make things right again. Jack, Taggert, Allison, Jo and the list just goes on were hilarious in this episode. Characters are really taking shape in this series and you can see relationships on the horizon. Will it be Jack and Ally or Jack and Jo? Who know maybe neither. I was not sure whether this show was going to keep my attention but it has all of it now.
  • Once more, a nice execution of classic sci-fi clichés.

Eureka revolves around recycling cliché. On season one we\'ve had sentient robots, death rays, memory stealing devices and superpower inducing lab accidents. Despite potential to make the show revolve around showing these classic sci-fi conventions through the eyes of the more modern, dysfunctional Carter and Zoe, it was the clever writing and wide-eyed optimism of the concept what took over and made the show a winner from the beginning.

This episode is no exception. The \"do what you want serum\" is a TV cliché as much as a sci-fi one. It works here not because Zoe or Carter are cynical about it, but because it\'s played straight and very well. The quality of the writing and the comedic timing of all actors is amazing, and it\'s great to find a bright, simple show that manages to stay away from excessive darkness, gore or mystery without being silly or reactionary.

And, if I may say so, kiddie Jo was incredibly cute. I\'m liking Erica Cerra more and more on this.
  • IMHO, the weakest outing of the season, yet given the strength of every episode so far, even the weakest Eureka bests 90% of what\'s on the tube anymore.

Let me start with 5 simple words...Please, Henry, don\'t leave us!!!!!

I love Eureka. I think this is, by far, one of the most intelligent shows on TV. It is well-written and well-acted. The pace of the show is perfect, and it\'s refreshing to see a sci-fi show that knows it\'s important not to take itself too seriously. That being said, I was mildly disappointed with this episode. I did like the dual reference to \"Apocalypse Now\" and \"North By Northwest\" in the opening sequence. And I liked how the scenes made us think that the problem with the town came as a result of the cell tower Henry built. However, when it came time for the reveal, let\'s face it, Carter figured it out way too easily. And as he\'s torching the field, all I can think of is \"wouldn\'t that send more spores/pollen into the air?\" I\'m no scientist, but...

All things being equal, I\'d still take rather watch a weak episode of Eureka than the best episode of Desperate Housewives or Grey\'s Anatomy.

And Henry, please don\'t leave us!
  • Now this was fun.....

Now this is what this show is about, strange fun things that entertain you, I loved this episode, it was not only a refreshing change to the characters but a funny and fun episode.

My question is, do those plants actually exist and if so I want some hehe.

The other thing that made me wonder was, when the sheriff had his mask off, why it did not effect him, it was off for a while in his fight and nothing happened, a little flaw there in the story or not enough pollen to take effect?
    Anyway it was good to see Joe having fun and laughing, I just wish there was enough time to hear all the dirty secrets, but its just a tv show ;-)
  • I love this show...it is hilarity defined..when a town full of geniuses are somehow always bailed out by good old fashioned common sense.

This episode was really funny. I love Jack Carter...he always delivers. The one-liners and writing are on an almost Whedonesque(Joss Whedon) level. I do think it was a shame that Beverly didnt get to finish her tirade because maybe then they would realize she is an evil she-devil.I hope Henry changes his mind he is one of my favorite characters.The arguement between Fargo and Seth had me laughing out loud with the quips they leveled at one another..Long live Eureka..Sci-fi are you paying attention?..you have a bonafied hit here.
  • Wonderful episode. Eureka without inhabitions.

Jo as a kid, Henry fed up, Stark controlled by his inner desires, Allie (hot, hot Allie) going after Carter, Taggert, "au natural", and Beverly doing her best impression of The Enquirer! Just another day in Eureka. The episode opens with a battle between Fargo and his neighbor (Seth) over the volumne of music being played to help Seth's newest plant creations to reach their full potential. Turns out the pollen from these plants has an interesting effect on the town. We see everyone passing out and then in the morning when they wake up the fun begins. My only real problem with this episode was why was Stark affected. I just cannot believe that Global is also not sealed and using filtered air. Other than this, I found this episode to be fun, enjoyable and a great representative for the show!
  • I like them better this way :p

Now this was one wicked sick episode. I mean I knew the show was crazy but this was just unreal. I liked it a lot. All the hidden sides of the people of eureka. Finaly you could see who was happy with they`re lives and who wasn`t.
    And the intro.... Now that was the longest intro I have ever seen on Eureka maybe even at any show I`ve seen so far.
    I`m very curios to see how things with Alison are going to proced from now on.
    Just the ending was sucky. I mean I can`t imagine this series without that caracter. I don`t want to name him because I don`t want to spoil anybody`s fun. You`ll just have to wait and see....
    All in all i think Eureka is geting better and better.
  • A very good episode that can really make you laugh.

This was another great episode of Eureka. I love the idea of the plants causing so much chaos, instead of a machine. Although they were genetically changed, so... It was great to see the actors acting so different. I loved seeing some of the normally nice and calm people acting so mean! I loved when the chef hit one of the twins over the head with the plate.

The farmer in this episode was really good. I hope he might apear in a few other episodes eventually. And I really hope Henry dosn't leave, he is one of my favorite characters.

I'm glad they finally mentioned the Artifact again. It was good to see that everyone hasn't forgotten about it.

I wonder what all the psychatrist said to everyone. After all, she told all the secrets through "P". That would be a lot of secrets, and maybe some will come back to haunt the town sometime. It will be interesting.
  • all the people in eureka go crazy!

i really liked this episode it was way better than the last one which is good cuz the last one really stunk! this one was funny, i mean sure not alot happened but thats ok. we got to see jo acting all girlish and it was great and in the begining when fargo called that guy a gardener. it was just too funny, one of the best episodes. well not much else to say about it.
  • Carter and Zoe have to figure out why everyone in Eureka is acting strange.

**Spoiler**

I realize that there have only been about 10 episodes but it was really interesting watching the characters act differently then they usually do. Allison and Jo were particularly hot in this episode. :) Yowza.

Anyways, you kind of had to figure that whatever was the cause of all the problems was either the wireless tower, the plants, the pesticide, or music. It ended up being the plants. Not the craziest twist i've ever seen but fine nonetheless. The real star of this episode was the non-character acting by pretty much everyone except Carter and Zoe.

Is Henry really not going to be on Eureka anymore? Sad to see him go. Does anyone know why he left?
  • Carter and Zoe have to find out why everyone is acting so strange and why they weren't affected.

After I get to know the characters in a show, I enjoy episodes like this one. This is only the fist season of the show, but I already know how the people are supposed to act and what their personalities are supposed to be like, so it's fun to watch them act completely opposite of their normal behavior.

* SPOILERS *

I thought the music tower was what was causing all the problems, I never would of guessed that it was the flowers themselves. I thought that was a really good twist to the story. I like to be surprised about what's causing the problems. Shows are starting to get so predictable and it's nice to have a surprise every now and then.