50 year old show???

FCBarca

[1]May 20, 2008
    • level: 15
    How is that possible?...I've never even heard of this show much less knew it's been going on for over 50 years...Crazy
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Celtwytch

[2]May 21, 2008
    • level: 8
    It's not exactly a show - it's an annual song contest, which means that it is only shown for a few days each year. In fact, the first round of this year's semi-finals was shown just last night. The final will be on Saturday 24th May, in Serbia. If you don't live in Europe, then I'm not surprised that you have never heard of it. Some European countries have been involved with the contest from the very beginning, so there's always a lot of hype about it, especially when the contestant and song are being chosen.

FCBarca

[3]May 21, 2008

I've seen some of the vids, interesting stuff...Seems like it's a popular contest

No idea ABBA was discovered that way

Edited on 05/21/2008 8:14am

Celtwytch

[4]May 22, 2008

It sure is popular

ABBA making the big time after they won are probably the exception - most contest winners are virtually unheard of outside their own country once all the hype about their winning song has died down. Until, of course, the competition rolls around again the following year.

Oh, and I am very proud of the fact that my country, Ireland, holds the record for most victories - we have won the competition 7 times

JoeLostDharma

[5]May 22, 2008
    • level: 28
    It's awesome, specially if your country is in the final.
    Ireland didn't make it this year though, because we had a stupid Dustin The Turkey as our act.

Ofieliaz

[6]May 22, 2008
    • level: 11

I'm a big fan of the ESC! But the competition is a bigger thing i Sweden, when we choose our song for the competition than the big finale!

We have four competitions with 8 songs each, and two from each program goes on the our country-finale, together with two songs that is chosen from the second chance program, so we have ten contestants in our finale and one is chosen to go to the big European finale (a lot of finale there..... )

But the thing that's a bit weird, is that our competition in Sweden has better over all quality than the first semi finale did on Tuesday, and tonight Sweden is competing, so I get to vote!!

And we have alot of "real" artists in our Swedish competition

FCBarca

[7]May 22, 2008
    Celtwytch wrote:

It sure is popular

ABBA making the big time after they won are probably the exception - most contest winners are virtually unheard of outside their own country once all the hype about their winning song has died down. Until, of course, the competition rolls around again the following year.

Oh, and I am very proud of the fact that my country, Ireland, holds the record for most victories - we have won the competition 7 times

I can imagine, Irish singing is pretty well liked the world over

Celtwytch

[8]May 23, 2008
    FCBarca wrote:

I can imagine, Irish singing is pretty well liked the world over

Thank you kindly

Mind you, as someone has already pointed out, Ireland didn't qualify for the final this year. Although at least this year the contestant actually IS a turkey, unlike some of the lesser-feathered turkeys we've had in the past ...

Celtwytch

[9]May 23, 2008
    Ofieliaz wrote:

tonight Sweden is competing, so I get to vote!!

I see Sweden made it through - congratulations! And best of luck in the final

The way your country chooses its entrant sounds really good. It's a bit hit and miss here; for a while, they had an amateur song contest, with people being voted for by the public each week. The singer with the least amount of votes was eliminated, and last one standing was declared the winner. That process didn't seem to work, so the next method was to choose a singer and have him perform the 3 top songs from a song-writing competition. It didn't help that the singer had himself composed a song (the worst of the 3, in my opinion) and his was the one that went through. At this point, I have given up on the selection process and just watch the Eurovision itself!

MsEmilie

[10]May 24, 2008
    Oh my lord, Sweden is so screwed! I hate "our" song, I can't help but wonder: why the hell does the wrong song win each year (I'm talking about the Swedish finals now, not the Eurovision)? No wonder we haven't won the entire contest since 1999... Charlotte Perrelli were our winner that year, our contestant for this year too. Oh the irony. You win some, you lose some. I guess this is our year to lose big time.

I hope Turkey wins, I loved that song.

iliastse

[11]May 24, 2008
    • level: 39
    Russia wins it this year, Ukraine 2nd and my country finishes 3rd

iliastse

[12]May 24, 2008
    • level: 39
    MsEmilie wrote:
    Oh my lord, Sweden is so screwed! I hate "our" song, I can't help but wonder: why the hell does the wrong song win each year (I'm talking about the Swedish finals now, not the Eurovision)? No wonder we haven't won the entire contest since 1999... Charlotte Perrelli were our winner that year, our contestant for this year too. Oh the irony. You win some, you lose some. I guess this is our year to lose big time. I hope Turkey wins, I loved that song.
    No hard feelings, but I think Sweden has won it so many times

MsEmilie

[13]May 24, 2008

We have only won 4 times (-74, -84, -91, -99). But I guess that's "many", depending how you look at it. Finland won for the first time 2 years ago, so I guess we're lucky, some countries have only won once.

But still, it would have been nice if we had brought a better contestant this year, to represent our country. We ended up in 18th place, that's not good. I didn't hope for Sweden to win, I just hoped we could have ended up in the top 10 (we usually do).

Edited on 05/24/2008 3:32pm

transanime

[14]May 25, 2008
    • level: 5

yes it's 50 . ireland put dustin in as a hint ?

here's a new rule for next year "no voting for your next door neighbours"

maybe then we will have a songing contest again ?

good luck russia see you next year.

AJMeredith

[15]May 25, 2008
    • level: 50
    There were some great songs this year - Georgia, Ukraine etc. and although I live in the UK, I still say there were some absoultely rubbish songs which seem to get all the points even though they were much worse then ours. The four main countries (UK, Spain, France & Germany) spend loads in funding it and never get away from the bottom of the board. It is a shame as it is not a song contest any more! I'd like to see how good it will be if we remove the funding from the western countries! Or is that a bit evil
    Edited on 05/25/2008 6:02am

MsEmilie

[16]May 25, 2008
    Yeah, I think it's pretty stupid that some countries can buy their way into the contest, and it doesn't matter how bad their entries are.

I think the semi-finals are good, so the really lousy songs can be removed from the contest (although, I kinda liked that Turkey-song). So when some countries doesn't even have to participate in the semi's it's like they have an advantage, even though they'll never know if their song is any good in comparision.

The wrong song won this year, that's all I have to say. I think Turkey was the best this year.

malteseknight

[17]May 25, 2008

My favourite songs were:

Day After Day - Azerbaijan
    Deli - Turkey
    Hero - Sweden
    Ke'ilo Kan - Israel
    Missä Miehet Ratsastaa - Finland
    Peace Will Come - Georgia
    Qele, Qele - Armenia
    Secret Combination - Greece
    Shady Lady - Ukraine
    Wolves of the Sea - Latvia
    and
    Your Heart Belongs To Me - Netherlands

And of course, Vodka from Malta, my country.

But because of our two previous failures we call 'singers', we couldn't pass to the Finals...:'(

MsEmilie

[18]May 25, 2008
    I don't know what was worse, our entry in the contest - or our announcer of the points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK4gRsxffxQ&

malteseknight

[19]May 26, 2008
    Sweden?
    I'm sorry but I laughed at the guy too

MsEmilie

[20]May 26, 2008
    The worst part is that we in Sweden know he was kidding around, because he's a very popular stand-up comedian here, but I assume that no one else outside of Sweden knew that, and that everybody thought that he was either high or drunk, maybe some thought he was both