Eurovision Song Contest

What's your opinion of the Eurovision Song Contest?

Heroes_kris

[22]May 28, 2008
    • level: 5

I was only kidding too. I am not a very temperament person. Even if you did insult me I wouldn't have cared.

And thanks about the answer. I had to ask. Better safe than sorry.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Celtwytch

[23]May 29, 2008
    • level: 8
    Heroes_kris wrote:

I was only kidding too. I am not a very temperament person. Even if you did insult me I wouldn't have cared.

And thanks about the answer. I had to ask. Better safe than sorry.

No worries

jbeauchamp17

[24]May 8, 2009
    • level: 44

To add my own two cents to this debate, I don't really see why so many people are against the Eurovision Song Contest because of the voting. Being from Australia, and thus from a nation which doesn't take part in the contest, maybe we don't hear about it as much, or worry ourselves about it as much. The complaint that is always made is that nations vote for their neighbours. This is mostly true, but it only counts for three or four of the ten nations that they give points to. Yes, Nation A may always vote Nation B the best, but if Nation B's song is bad, then hardly anyone else will vote for Nation B, and thus they will not do well. But if Nation C is a great song, it may come 5th in Nation A's vote, and as it is a good song it will continue to rank highly among other nation's votes. It is the good (well, popular, at least) songs that do well. Coming first in three or four countries doesn't mean anything, in order to win you need to do well across most European nations.

Another complaint I hate is that from our British friends, that no one ever votes for you, and that you always come last, and that they shouldn't continue competing as they are one of the four main financiers of the contest but have no chance of winning. Yes it is true that you are not going to get votes from your neighbours, because, well you don't have any other than Ireland, and the majority of Europe is not going to vote for the UK just because they are the UK. In order to do well, you need a good song, and you need to take the contest seriously. And the UK doesn't. Now, I liked the UK's entry last year. But correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the singer someone who finished something like 8th in Popstars or some similar show? An average performer at best. A number of the Eastern European countries have top emerging stars representing their country. In 2007, the UK's entry was abysmal. It deserved last place. And it perfectly showed that the view was 'this contest is just a joke, and we will treat it as such'. And then there are people out there (Terry Wogan included) who think that the UK should still win the contest when they have that attitude. Russia took the contest extremely seriously last year, just as Serbia did the year before, and both countries thoroughly deserved their victory.

The other issue is that all of Eastern Europe votes for itself, and therefore you can't win unless you are from Eastern Europe. Firstly, Finland won only a few years back. Finland is not Eastern Europe. And the other point, I remember back in 2007 when Serbia won there was a huge outcry from Western Europe because from the top 10 nations after the voting something like 8 of them were from Eastern Europe. On the face of it, a very valid argument. Then someone did a break down on the votes and removed all of the votes from the Eastern European countries, thus showing how Western Europe voted, and of their top 10 nations, 8 of them were form Eastern Europe. So, yes Eastern Europe voted for Eastern Europe, but Western Europe equally voted for Eastern Europe.

Ultimately, Eastern Europe are currently taking the contest more seriously, which is why they are performing better, votes will start coming for Western Europe and the UK if they produce a good quality performance.

pinchasb

[25]May 10, 2009
    • level: 13
    jbeauchamp17 wrote:

To add my own two cents to this debate, I don't really see why so many people are against the Eurovision Song Contest because of the voting. Being from Australia, and thus from a nation which doesn't take part in the contest, maybe we don't hear about it as much, or worry ourselves about it as much. The complaint that is always made is that nations vote for their neighbours. This is mostly true, but it only counts for three or four of the ten nations that they give points to. Yes, Nation A may always vote Nation B the best, but if Nation B's song is bad, then hardly anyone else will vote for Nation B, and thus they will not do well. But if Nation C is a great song, it may come 5th in Nation A's vote, and as it is a good song it will continue to rank highly among other nation's votes. It is the good (well, popular, at least) songs that do well. Coming first in three or four countries doesn't mean anything, in order to win you need to do well across most European nations.

Another complaint I hate is that from our British friends, that no one ever votes for you, and that you always come last, and that they shouldn't continue competing as they are one of the four main financiers of the contest but have no chance of winning. Yes it is true that you are not going to get votes from your neighbours, because, well you don't have any other than Ireland, and the majority of Europe is not going to vote for the UK just because they are the UK. In order to do well, you need a good song, and you need to take the contest seriously. And the UK doesn't. Now, I liked the UK's entry last year. But correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the singer someone who finished something like 8th in Popstars or some similar show? An average performer at best. A number of the Eastern European countries have top emerging stars representing their country. In 2007, the UK's entry was abysmal. It deserved last place. And it perfectly showed that the view was 'this contest is just a joke, and we will treat it as such'. And then there are people out there (Terry Wogan included) who think that the UK should still win the contest when they have that attitude. Russia took the contest extremely seriously last year, just as Serbia did the year before, and both countries thoroughly deserved their victory.

The other issue is that all of Eastern Europe votes for itself, and therefore you can't win unless you are from Eastern Europe. Firstly, Finland won only a few years back. Finland is not Eastern Europe. And the other point, I remember back in 2007 when Serbia won there was a huge outcry from Western Europe because from the top 10 nations after the voting something like 8 of them were from Eastern Europe. On the face of it, a very valid argument. Then someone did a break down on the votes and removed all of the votes from the Eastern European countries, thus showing how Western Europe voted, and of their top 10 nations, 8 of them were form Eastern Europe. So, yes Eastern Europe voted for Eastern Europe, but Western Europe equally voted for Eastern Europe.

Ultimately, Eastern Europe are currently taking the contest more seriously, which is why they are performing better, votes will start coming for Western Europe and the UK if they produce a good quality performance.

You are 100% correct. The east has been sending batter songs overall and the UK thinks the contest is a joke how do they expect to do well?