Eurovision Song Contest

SRG SSR Premiered May 24, 1956 In Season

jbeauchamp17

Eurovision Song Contest Fan Reviews (8)

7.1
  • Love it or Hate it?

The Eurovision Song Contest is back again in 2008, bigger (and better???) than ever. So many countries want to take part in this annual pan-european songfest that it now spreads over 2 semi-finals and then the big final spectacular. I'm a big fan of the contest despite the various musical offerings being so lame, but when all is said and done it is just harmless fun and not to be taken seriously.. unless of course you live in mainland Europe where it seems to be the top musical event of the year and has to be won at all costs.. and what a cost it is to win.. Millions of Dollars/Pounds/Euros spent by the national broadcaster of the winning country in order to host the event the following year. I know it doesn't exactly rank as a show to look for new talent, but in the past it has given the world ABBA and Celine Dion, so it's not all bad. It's turned into a more political popularity contest than a song one, so I wont be expecting the UK to win anytime soon.. but I can still think back to the days of hearing United Kingdom - 12 points and look forward to the day when we are not involved in some far off war that has nothing to do with us and maybe, just maybe we might be in with a chance of walking away with the crown for the 1st time since 1997.