Everwood

Across the Lines

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Apr 17, 2006 on The WB

• It\'s all in the delivery.

Last week, I labelled this show as the most consistent on television. What I mean is that I have not seen a bad episode of this show. I haven\'t seen all of the episodes, but I\'m fairly confident at this point to believe that a vast majority, if not all, of the episodes are of superb quality. We continue this theme with \"Across the Lines\".

As dramatic as some of the moments in this episode were, the comedy is what makes this episode shine. To label the Abbott dinner hysterical is an understatement. This was masterful collaboration from the actors here, as Tom Amandes delivers a Bill Schmicker zinger while Bright, Amy, and Hannah have a three-way quarrel. Meanwhile, poor injured Rose has to deal with a jealous husband and a teenaged crossfire. This scene is lightning-fast in the lines and requires perfect pacing. But the actors deliver the goods here, in probably one of the most comedic moments of the series (certainly the season).

Oh, but that\'s not all. Bill Schmicker -- even the name is funny. Dr. Abbott sure thinks so: \"Sounds like something you\'d lance.\" And I think writer Barbie Kligman thinks so too, giving Merrilyn Gann probably the finest line of the episode: \"Shame on you, Bill Schmicker.\" Such a dramatic moment, really -- but the name makes the delivery hysterical. For a second, I thought the comedy was unintentional, but given the preceding \"lance\"-line from Dr. Abbott, I am positive the intent was comedy. Well, it worked to the extreme.

You have to give Bill Schmicker some props for his quick wit. Dr. Abbott prods, \"I trust you\'re not going home in your condition.\" Response? \"No, I can drive with cancer.\" Excellent.

The team of Gann and Amandes has been one of my personal favorites on the show. Amandes gives Harold the arrogant air of supremacy with a shockingly relatable sense of vulnerability. Gann gives Rose innocence, common sense, and a string of sarcasm that keeps Harold in line. Their scenes together are always pitch perfect, and \"Across the Lines\" was no different.

Things blow up between Amy and Hannah in this episode. We all knew it was going to happen, but I have to credit the writing team for giving the scene some counterbalanced intelligence. Both sides of the argument had their points. Hannah is certainly right to suggest that Amy is trying to run the friendship, but Amy has a point when she says that Hannah\'s complaints regarding Ephram seem to have an agenda to them. Everwood\'s writers don\'t pick the sides -- they let (and ask) the viewers (to) do so. A show that makes you ponder what it\'s telling? Almost unheard of these days, but greatly appreciated when done as well as this show does.

I also loved the Andy/Jake dichotomy in this episode. Always there is tension, but always there is a mutual respect below the surface. A comparable relationship to Harold/Andy (re: Season 1, certainly) but for obviously different reasons. I, for one, am a big fan of Scott Wolf\'s work on this show, and I was impressed once again with his performance in this episode. His scenes with the drunk driver were powerful and heartfelt. And the last scene between Andy and Jake? Great stuff.

Reading some of the reviews both here and elsewhere, a lot have labeled this episode as \"quiet\" and, to some extent, \"boring\". My opinion? Neither is a correct assessment. There is a lot to sift through here, and the results of thinking about what has transpired in this episode make \"Across the Lines\" an absolute triumph in my book. Everwood is not the \"most exciting\" show on television, but it\'s not meant to be. What it is is a heartfelt show that applauds humanity, as flawed and as complex as it might be. And for that, I can only be grateful.
  • Everwood is dependable but not flashy

This was a typical episode of Everwood. Mostly falling into the dependable catigory. I don't think the show is flashy and thats why I like it. It is as down to earth as the town it represents. I do like the light moments because I think the cast handles comedy so well and there were moments of that as usual. I think the writers are trying to shake things up and make more tension on the season and I am fine with that. It is making Amy hard to take right now, but she is that usually. I look forward to what is coming
  • Now this is Everwood at its best!

I think this is definitely one of the better episodes of
    Everwood. Personally, I\'m glad that my favorite couple,
    Harold and Rose got plenty of much needed air time, while
    Amy and Hannah have it out, and Andy and Jake quarrel over what to do next about a drunk driver getting into an
    accident. To me, I found it to be both powerful and hilarious at the same time. Although, I did miss Delia, Irv and Edna, they all need to have more air time.

Andy and Jake: I didn\'t expect this topic to be so interesting, but the car accident and them disagreeing over turning the driver over to the police and Jake\'s idea to have a long talk with him first, proved to be one of the best scenes of the episodes. The actor who played Ed, was convincing, albeit, emotional

Amy and Hannah: Oh the drama! Emily and Sarah sure can
    act, the way they fought, and how frustrated they got, it was truly like watching true friends just barely trying to breath next to each other. I hate seeing them like this! The scene at the dinner table had me on pins and needles, what is going to happen next with these two? I hope they make up soon!

Harold and Rose: Now this was my favorite part! Every scene between them is quirky, hilarious and cute. The look on Harold\'s face when he saw his wife smoking with Bill, one of the members of her Cancer Support Group was priceless. Then the scene when they are in the kitchen, Harold\'s pink floyd talk about the marijhuana just cracked me up, but I could totally tell that Harold was jealous, it was in a wierd way, sweet. I couldn\'t believe Bill actually tried to kiss Rose, and then the last scene, was just so memorable, Rose telling her husband about Bill making a move on her, Harold mumbling something incoherent. And that talk! Wow! Tom Amandes and Merrilyn Gann sure can act, Tom was great.
    Harold\'s words were sweet, romantic and so emotional that they struck a chord inside me. They are truly one of kind, there is nothing like this on any other tv show these days, and no other show can better pull off this type of humor and heart. Especially, a relationship between Harold (Amandes) and Rose (Gann) that seems so real.

All and all it definitely made me laugh. Even the parts with Reid were interesting, now I wonder, will he get caught for cheating?

This show deserves to go on longer. With the chances of it making the CW schedule getting better, I sure hope it makes it, its the type of show we need to see more of.
  • not my favorite episode...

I was surprised when the show ended and nothing exciting really happened, like the previous episode, in which something extraordinary was revealed, when Ephram\'s piano student revealed that he was gay. The only thing that really impressed me was Reid. Never in a million years did I think that what happened to Reid was actually going to happen. It must have been devastating for him hearing, from his own proffessor, that maybe he wasn\'t cut out to be a doctor. A very heart breaking scene, especially for those who can identify themselves with him. What I didn\'t like, however, was that Reid\'s answer to his problems was cheating on a test!
  • Across the Lines

I may be biased with what I have to say first because I very much identified with the situation-Hannah and Amy and how people change. Poor Hannah. Everyone, well most I'm sure have been forced into a situation that they weren't comfortable with or expecting. What is up with Amy anyways? She has changed. She knew what her friends talked about/acted like would bother Hannah. If Amy wanted Hannah to meet them, she shouldn't have sprung them on her (I've been in Hannah's shoes here). I mean Amy began to talk/act like that around Hannah and thats pretty much what led to their fight two episodes ago- in Lost and Found. People change and sometimes it ain't pretty. Amy may have been right about Hannah near the end, she doesn't speak her mind for fear of upsetting others or creating conflict but Amy could have gone about it a little nicer.
    I'm a little tired of the alcoholic storyline and the preaching because it has been done so many times, but this ep gets points for bringing it up a new way-via a recovering alcoholic doctor helping an alcoholic who hasn't been able to stay sober. I say go Jake and advocate for a support group in Everwood. How are people supposed to help themselves when they have to drive two hours to access the help? I am a social work major and I can tell you it makes great sense. Also Andy is right when he said the old cliché that addicts can't be helped unless they are ready to be helped.
    Seeing as I am a social work major, what Reid said did kind of offend me (an I know its just a TV show and I don't usually get offended by what they say, but attacking my choice of career gets to me). He went to see a guidance counselor because his grades are slipping. He wants to be a doctor to help mentally handicapped people like his brother and when the counselor suggested that he might not be cut out for medical school he flew off the handle saying something to the effect that he doesn't want to try and help people using bogus social work crap. Ahem. Even if we don't get through to everyone, we still provide invaluable services-even if it is as small as referring an individual to a place or facility better equipped to help them.
  • Hannah from Everwood...you are my TV hero.

A teenager on TV who is polite, doesn't drink or have sex? And can be quiet and still get the guy? Yes, my fictional friend, you are my hero. Just drop the obession with Ephram and Amy. Good plot all around though the adoption storyline needs to go. Now, being in college myself I understand Amy's need to find herself but does she have to be so self- rightous about it? When was the last time the Abbots and the Browns have a scene together? When did Edna, Irv, Delia, or Eprham have a storyline? hmmm. Still a good episode. Keep them coming.
  • Letting It All Out...

A few days ago, I got some good news. I learned that my WB affiliate is getting the CW. I had a feeling we would, but I am glad I got the confirmation. Now, I would be even happier if I knew that Everwood would be on that schedule. If you ask me, Everwood's chances are looking better than they did before it came back on the air from it's lengthy hiatus. The reviews are strong and the show is the only show on either network getting the kind of championing from critics it is getting. The ratings have been steady and consistent, and have even gone up with it's last episode. That looks even better when you realize that all hit shows were down. But EV went up. The CW really can't afford to lose EV. Besides UPN's Veronica Mars, EV is a smart and compelling show that isn't about effects, superheroes, teenybopper drama, real people winning a contest, or some bad sitcom. The CW needs to have some kind of prestige to it, and not be filled with just cotton candy for the eyes. Needless to say, they want to be favored by viewers and critics. And with EV being the huge critical hit it is, they definitley don't want to anger them and have one huge strike already going against them. As season four progresses, it is getting better and better. Things are developing real nicely, and you know it will lead to more astonishing moments before the season is up. Great things are happening, and it would be a shame for it not to continue for a fifth season on the new network. Or a sixth, seventh, eighth. When 7th Heaven is over and done with, there will be 221 episodes. Everwood deserves 222. So, what went on in our quiet little town this week?. Read on and find out...

The episode opens interesting enough. Nice normal morning in Everwood as Andy and Jake are strolling down the sidewalk. Then, a car careens out of control and crashes into a sidewalk tree. Andy and Jake assist when the paramedics come, and it's obvious to both men that the driver was intoxicated. Andy is ready to make the call to the police, but Jake makes him wait. Andy agrees. Jake visits the man in the hospital and he sees someone with an addiction who needs help. Jake sees himself. He wants to help the man, and makes the man promise to get help if he gives it to him. In return, Jake won't call the police. The man agrees. In the process, Jake comes up with a new plan. He wants to have AA meetings in Everwood. Instead of having to drive two hours to get help, help should be right there. This doesn't sit well with Nina. She opens up and tells Andy why. But it isn't about Jake, or the possibility that he could lose his practice if he opens up in public about his own addiction. This is about her. She knows everybody and everybody knows her. What would the townfolk say?. First, there was Carl the gay hubby. And now there is Jake, the dimpled junkie doc. When Jake goes back to see the man, he finds the cops there. He confronts Andy and the good doc admits to calling him. Jake cools his jets when he learns that Andy agrees about his idea for AA meetings in the town. He even offers his office for the meetings.

This was a pretty good and interesting part of the episode. My second favorite of the four things going on here. Jake is getting better and more interesting, and Scott Wolf is doing some nice work. But what about Nina?. Is it wrong and selfish for her to think of herself instead of Jake?. I don't really know. Jake is getting better and getting help, so maybe she feels solid in that area. You can't really blame her. With the town being as small as it is and everyone will eventually know everyone's business, I would probably think of it in that way too if I were Nina. And Andy. Andy has made mistakes, but the guy has a huge heart. Just giving up his office for Jake's meetings was great. You really gotta love Andy.

My favorite part of the episode resolved around my favorite couple. Harold and Rose. I am never disappointed with either of them, and am always delighted with the both of them together. Tonight's episode found the two in an interesting and downright hilarious story. Harold comes home and finds Rose with Bill Schmicker, a member of her cancer group. They are the only ones there, and have apparently been smoking marijuana. Comedic moments arise, and Rose tells Harold that marijuana was suggested by Bill's doctor for his cancer. He was afraid to do it alone, so she did with him to make him feel better. But Harold's suspicion's are futher peaked when he believes that Bill is madly in love with Rose. He learns that they have had lunch together, and that Rose had confided in Bill over her and Harold's adoption proceedings. Words come out during dinner between Harold and Rose(as well as Amy, Bright, and Hannah), and Rose leaves the table. But Harold turns out to be right when Bill kisses Rose after another cancer group meeting. Rose reveals this to Harold, and the two have a little talk. This whole part of the episode was fantastic. Interesting with the marijuana/kissing moments, and hilarious with the, well, marijuana/kissing moments. I don't think any other show on TV could really do this kind of material and make it as real and hilarious at the same time.

I am not caring for the Amy of late, and I am not too interested in the Amy/Hannah dynamic either. The two have obviously been drifting apart for a little while now, and they try to strengthen their friendship back up. They make a date to go out. But Hannah is disappointed when Amy brings along two of her college buddies. Hannah finds them annoying and just too much. She keeps it to herself. It's Bright who gets things rolling when he talks to Amy about how much Hannah was upset with the overall night. Amy points out that instead of telling her face to face, she goes to Bright. So, Amy lets out some Hannah secrets of her own regarding Bright taking her to keggers(which she hates), and the whole drama is unfolded during that wonderful Abbot family dinner I mentioned earlier. The scene isn't as dramatic as one would of thought, but it was tense enough. No one wants to see Friends fight, and no one wants to see best friends split apart. But the scene was undercut with some more wonderful humor, courtesy of Bright. When the two gals talk the next day, it all seems to be okay. Amy is happy that Hannah finally talked, opened up, and spoke her mind. But she may wished she hadn't when Hannah begins to rip into Amy over the way she is treating Ephram. Stringing him along thinking they will get back together when Amy appears to have no intention of doing so. And so, we are back at the dinner argument again. Where will it go?. When will it end?. Who knows. But it will be interesting to see.

And lastly, we come to Reid. The character was basically window dressing for the better part of the season, but actually gets something going here. Reid is visibly shaken and upset when he tells Ephram that he got academic probation. He studies and studies and studies, and doesn't have much more time to give. Ephram suggests talking to someone about it. Reid agrees. The meeting doesn't go over well, and now Reid is even more confused about what he's doing and what he should be doing. The last we saw of Reid, he was cheating on an exam. I never cared for the character, and this was my least favorite part of the episode, but it was still pretty interesting. I am glad that they are using him now.

In the end, "Across The Lines" was another great episode. Great writing with some intoxicating drama and comedy. Everwood balances it all so beautifully, and is overtaking GG in that area if you ask me. Ephram hardly appeared in this episode, and honestly, that wasn't too much of a disappointment to me. The show functions perfectly with or without him. He was absent in the brilliant third season finale, and appeared here for only a minute or two. Everwood has some main charactors and actors, but it's really an ensemble show. There are plenty of great people and wonderful storylines going on that make Ephram's little screen time barely noticeable. "Across The Lines" may not be the greatest episode ever of the show, but it is a really good one. As usual.
  • This episode was getting there......they need to do better.

This used to be one of the best written shows on TV, at least the best on the WB. What happened? The whole Hannah/Amy conflict is a little scattlebrained. I guess Hannah has dumped her as a friend now.

The whole thing with Reid...I am not sure what they are going to do with him. Have him caught cheating or drop out of school so they can write him off the show somehow?

I think if Rose and Harold get to adopt a baby it could bring a dynamic to the show that it needs. I also think if they are going to keep Hannah's character they have got to find a way to get her comfortable in her own skin....she seems to be hiding too much of herself.

Overall, it is an improvement but they need to keep making it more interesting until the end of the season.
  • "Shame on You, Bill Schmicker": A Review of "Across the Lines"

Pretty good, pretty good. Of course, nothing holds a candle to last week's episode, but I can respect that.

Throughout the episode, I find myself laughing just in time to stop short, my mouth open in utter horror. This episode, like any other episode of Everwood, has a great balance of comedy and drama. There are those moments that make you go "aww," those that make you go "eww," and those that make you go (you guessed it) "hahaha." :-)

I'll start with the "hahaha."

Jake's shout out to Nip/Tuck was extremely entertaining: "Nip/Tuck is making a complete mockery of my profession." Yet he still watches. For shame!

I have to say, I love the dynamic between Reid and Ephram. Reid barely makes it through the door, grumbling and griping as he walks in, and Ephram already has reason to mock him (Reid, don't fuel the fire if you don't want to get burned!). And of course, Ephram takes his opportunity: "Did they cancel your gym membership again?"

I'm having a hard time choosing my favorite funny line of the night. Could it be the exchange between Harold and Bill? Harold: "I trust you're not driving home in your condition" (high on pot). Bill: "No, I can drive with cancer."

Could it be Rose's sudden craving for pie? Rose: "Would you like some pie? I am starving."

No. I think, for the sheer brilliance of the delivery, my favorite line came from Bright. Was there any surprise? Bright is one funny dude. "Save the tuna; kill the man," he says, mocking his sister's latest ventures.

As for the funniest moment that didn't involve a line, I think the prize goes to Louise, this week. Was she supposed to almost fall off that cage ball? My inquiring mind wants to know.

The following are some other funny lines:
    Harold: "Are ya blind woman? Bill Schmicker is hot for my wife."

Harold: "Bill. Bill Schmicker. Sounds like something you'd lance."

Bright (walking on "glass" so as not to break some girl code): "Just...Amy was nice enough to tell me you hated parties." While not a hilarious line, the delivery was spot-on.

Hannah: "...And that Beth girl is a total b****! Sorry Dr. Abbott."

Oh the drama. What's an Everwood episode without drama? Pretty darn funny, but that's beside the point. ;-)

Andy's face, during the crash scene, shows extreme care, perhaps because of a horrible flashback. I can tell that he feel's Ed's pain. But is this the only reason for the long face? In that split second that it takes for the car to crash, does Andy remember his wife's own icy crash? It might have been nice to hear a mention of this, but I'll chock up the non-mention to Andy's (at least partial) acceptance of his wife's death. I guess it has been quite a while; they dodged a bullet...but I still want to see Brenda Strong back on Everwood! :-)

I think we're seeing new shades of Reid, with this episode. Is Justin Baldoni getting better at portraying him? He seems to shine a little more in this episode; I actually enjoy his storyline! And what about the revelation that he is becoming a college cheater? It looks like we are seeing the beginning of a very interesting story arc involving (We all read spoilers, right? If you don't, skip to the next paragraph........................................) Reid's attempted suicide.
    .... SPOILER PROTECTION!
    ....
    As I predicted, it seems the Harold/Rose/adoption storyline is becoming more interesting. This week, it seems Rose has become apprehensive about the pending adoption. Is it this apprehension that lead her to the cancer support group, three weeks ago (offscreen, handled better than we thought it would be)? Rose: "I'm afraid my cancer is gonna ruin our chances of adoption." We see Harold's frowning face; we know that he lied to the adoption people about Rose's cancer. It's heartbreaking to watch him have to lie to Rose, by omission, failing to tell her that he wrote "No" on the cancer and heart disease section of the adoption forms. Harold: "I think any child would be blessed to have you as a mother. I am sure that the agency recognizes that, and I--I--I think we'll be fine.

As for Rose getting hit on: classic Rose! She pulls away, hits him. I had been expecting the slap, especially after seeing her slap Bright a season or two back. When Bill goes in for the kiss, that scene comes to mind, and I know: Rose is going to hit this guy! Thank you, Rose, for not disappointing me. And thank you for making the resistance realistic: on any other show, the two would have shared an actual kiss that would have been called nothing or a near miss. Thank you, Everwood, for remaining realistic when almost no other show seems to be able to do so. "Shame on you, Bill Schmicker," she says, leaving. There is a bit of unintended comedy in this line; I love it. :-)

Yet again, Everwood considers both sides. Amy seems to be very liberal, as of late, but she still supports Hannah: "You can go and vote Republican all you want."

As Hannah and Amy try to make up, Hannah delivers another great line just by saying that she doesn't really think Beth is a (whispering) "b****." What follows seems to be a long time coming: Hannah points out that Amy is "stringing" Ephram along, and of course, Amy doesn't want to talk about it. Is there something wrong with Amy? Why won't she talk about it? And why IS she stringing Ephram along? Is she getting anywhere, at least?

Then there's the final straw: Hannah says that Amy runs her relationships on her own terms, that she doesn't consider the other person's feelings. In saying this, Hannah is not only talking about Amy's relationship with Ephram, or even just men, for that matter; she has noticed that Amy is doing it to her too, and she can't take it anymore. Is this the end of Hannah and Amy's friendship? Crap! I hope not.

As for continuity, we see quite a few mentions of old plots: Harold's freaking out about marijuana, Nina's mention of Linda, AIDS, and the "sweep it under the rug" nature of the town, and Hannah's unwillingness to break her values (she doesn't drink and she will not have sex until she is married). Hannah is decidedly conservative. So where do people get off accusing the writers of bias?

In addition, what's with Ephram the advice man? Ephram continues to evolve into an actual human being, leaving behind that bratty, whiny self he used to be. I'm really liking Ephram this season! But...he is hardly in this episode at all. I guess we can't have everything. Besides the missing characters (Edna, Irv, and Delia were also MIA), this was a pretty good episode.

To wrap this up, here's my only complaint: why would it only be up to Andy or Jake to call the police? Wouldn't someone else do it, say, a doctor at the hospital? I guess I don't know medical/accident procedure, but it seems like the police would be contacted sooner. Other than that, this is another great episode. Season four is shaping up to be quite a ride. Now, I'm looking forward to the last four episodes, because they are going to be amazing. :-)

One more thing: pancakes AGAIN, Andy? ;-)
  • Another poor episode, odd considering their are less then 10 the entire series run.

7.6
    it is odd, i love Everwood, and i have enjoyed the season, the first half before the hiatus, was unbelievable, and some of the best the series ever created, but i feel like, after the hiatus, it has not been on par to the rest of the series....

I didn\\\'t mind that Ephram only had one [!] scene, but i felt like the Rose/Harold storyline was a waste of time, it just did not make sense, and was very uncharacteristic of Rose. The Hanna/Amy part was fine, but really, nothing special, and the worst part, we didn\\\'t get a classic Bright quote...

why, oh why are the worst episodes now, when it is so close to death/cancellation...