Everybody Hates Chris

Everybody Hates A Part-Time Job

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 19, 2006 on The CW

• The show makes a good job of a familiar story

Everybody Hate Chris continues to impress me episode after episode. This week they tell the story of Chris trying to save up to buy a coveted leather jacket.
    His plight is a familiar one- to me at least. Wanting something so badly and seeing everybody around you with one is a hard thing to have to bear. But we see Chris have to take the hard route to getting his coveted jacket which is something I\\\'ve come to expect from this show.
    Chris\\\' part-time job made for some brilliant family moments between Chris and Julius- really sweet moments which indicate that Chris Rock is very close to his own father.
    The funniest bit about this storyline was at the end when we see Chris finally wearing his jacket. It is so typical that he would have it as soon as he doesn\\\'t need it!
    I also love the ability of the show to dip in between the past, present and future without interfereing with the flow of the show.

The secondary storyline was still amusing with Tanya ending up in hospital after drinking a hotsauce milkshake. The scene at the hospital with the receptionist \\\"My husband has three jobs. I don\\\'t need this!\\\" was hysterical and provided some nice continuity to the show.
    I also loved the gag about using the Robotussin to cure all illnesses. It reminds me of the gag running through \\\"My Big Fat Greek Wedding\\\" with the father using Windex to cure all the families illnesses. It kind of reminds me of my own family but they are much less extreme!

Other points:
    Greg seems to be relegated to a hallway buddy for Chris, like he was in the previous episode. He appears only for Chris to bounce ideas and thoughts off and little else.

The screen at the beginning of the show has now changed to 1983- nice attention to detail and continuity from the show

Chris seems to be able to talk quite easily to Keisha now (I\\\'m refering to the beginning and end of the episodes not the fantasy sequences) When did that happen?

Overall a great example of parents teaching their kids the value of money that was definitely worth half an hour