Everybody Hates Chris

The CW (ended 2009)

Everybody Hates Chris Fan Reviews (166)

• ...And Chris hates everybody right back.

I knew the odds were againt this show being any good the minute I saw Rock's "all liberals are racists" rant in an interview. I guess if I don't laugh at the show, that makes me a racist or something? It can't just be boring? Gee, I would have thought that those people who paid to see your concerts and buy your comedy albums can't all be racist, but then again, so many people mistake obnoxiousness at high volume for humor these days, it's not hard to see why this sort of thing lingers on. Having a chip on your shoulder does not make you the discoverer of truth.

There isn't a plot on this show you couldn't see marching five miles away. There isn't an episode that actually reflects the real variety of childhood, even in a tough town-- up, down and in between. Chris bleats about everything, everybody bleats back at him, roll credits. Bitter much?
  • One word describes this show: Defeatism.

This is a show for Chris Rock to complain about how hard and unfair his childhood was and make a buck out of it.
    It's not funny, the father is the typical guy with kids and a crappy job (why do these people have kids if they don't have money????), the mother annoys me and the kid (Chris) just bends over and takes it when someone tries to take advantage of him.
    This is one of the few shows that actually pains me to watch. It's not funny, it doesn't make you think and the fact that it's being succesful kills my dream (no more sitcoms in the near future).
    I also don't like the tone about how life is hard and unfair and bla bla bla and all the stereotypes make it even worse.
  • this is a show that everyone likes because of where it takes place but it isnt really good I HATE CHRIS

2.5
    I try to watch this show every week on upn just if i'm down at i need a laugh or to.That laugh never comes. I havent laughed 3 times since this show has been on. It is not funny. None of Rock's jokes give me even the slightest tickle, and i laugh at just about anything.The show is a comedy but where is the comedy. No where. If its a comedy then it is a big waste of network tv. It just isnt funny. Never was Never is, Never will be, not on upn nbc abc, cbs, wb, or PBS it just isnt at all funny. No stoylines, but writing, bad plot , can anyone tell me the main idea? A kids dad that is cheap on everything, if thats the plot and it works well I;'m going to make a show about my ice cream falling on the ground.
  • Um, why would someone want to watch this?

3.8
    First off, the name really annoys me. I can't believe I even watched it one night...I must have been really really really beyond really bored, if you catch my drift. Anyway, I didn't like it too much, cause it was like...boring. Semi, funny, that is why I gave it the 0.1

Yep yep, I certainly will never ever ever watch it again...

:D :D That's my opinion.
  • Toothless, to say at least...

This show reminds me of those family - morality sitcoms from the 80s / early 90s. Of course - the optics are improved and the narration by Chris Rock is nice, but it definitively lacks the edge to entertain adults. I realize it is supposed to be told from the view of a child, and that's what it is: children book material. No wonder the PTC is promoting this show - any good show has been critisized by them in the past and present.
    All in all I have to say I am disappointed by the humor of this show and the simplicity of situations and storyline, I would have expected much better from Chris Rock.
  • Thought it was alright to begin with but its just so boring.

I dont think ive actually laughed out loud yet ? I've lasted this long because i like to give shows a chance but im gonna have to leave it at that.

It seems alot of people like this i just don't see why.
    Chris Rock as narrator does an ok job but his puns are limp.
    The acting is good but i have no favorites. Nobody stands out as the funny guy or the silly guy its all just too weak.

Everybody hates for each episode title is just copying friends, it was unique then, now its been copied its cheap.

Im now trying to think of the positives and cant think of any!

Im not a negative person and to be fair i have lasted 8 episodes of this.

Good luck to the rest of you.
  • I LOVE THIS SHOW...I CAN RELATE IN EVERY ASPECT. IT REMINDS ME OF MY MON, DAD AND SIBLINGS...KEEP IT COMING

5.1
    However, the “snow day” episode on 2/5/07 was a little concerning. Everyone I know watches this show—I just hope after reading my comments you take a more careful effort in verifying some of you details, especially where the mom and her overwhelming role is concerned.

It is a simple thing, but most moms know that “Syrup of Ipecac” is a serious extract. Specifically, Chris’s mom told her oldest son, while he was in the bathroom throwing up, to take the ipecac and “go to school.”

The following information explains why her instructions were scary…Remember, there a lots of young mother that have entered the world of motherhood, without the benefit of an older family member to guide them. Please be careful…

Normally Syrup of Ipecac should not be given at home if: The patient is less than one year old or Corrosives (lye, drain cleaners, oven cleaners, automatic dishwasher detergent, or other strong acids or bases) have been taken or burns are seen around or in the mouth or A petroleum distillate-containing product (kerosene, gasoline, paint thinner, furniture polish, etc.) has been taken or The patient is lethargic (sluggish), asleep, or commatose (unconscious) or The patient is convulsin.

SIGNED...A GREAT MOM, LORETTA
  • I'd watch this if I had nothing else to watch, or do.

5.3
    As someone who loves Chris rock, this turned out to be one huge disappointment. It just wasn't funny. I watched around three episodes until I decided to stop. I wanted to give it a chance since I thought Chris Rock was one great comedian, but the whole time I was watching the show, I never burst into laughter like the way I do with Chris Rock's other shows/movies. I know it's supposed to be different because this shows Chris Rock's childhood, but I was expecting even just a little amount of humor, which I didn't get. It's sad how one amazing comedian didn't follow through with his own show.
  • Life of Chris Tucker.

Nobody knows i watch this because no body even knows this show exist. It has not gotten enough publicity outside the west. I began watching this show when it was first aired. I found allright and nothing special really. But the funniest character and most interesting i found was Chris's dad. His mom is just plain annoying and irritating. If you're planning on watching this with you significant other on a romantic evening, don't! Both of you will just get freaked out by Chris's mum. I don't plan to watching this show if it's going to be a returning series.
  • Not so good

I know this is gonna get many dislikes but... Chris is the dumbest in his family. He does anything to look cool (join with delinquents, go to an adult party being only 13, break his own brother's arm, really?). In my opinion the funniest parts are Julius and Rochelle's plots, they're great. However, the show still mentions innapropriate things openly.
  • The Black version of The Wonder Years!

OK, as we know we all loved the Wonder Years because of how much we could all relate to it growing up, even in modern day 2011 when the show took place in the 60s. So, I'm black, and I figured if they make the show black I could somehow relate to it even more than I did with white kids. Did I? Well no, but this was a pretty funny show and I did sort of relate to it.

The show is half-based off Chris Rock's real life, and it shows his childhood in a different take. Chris is obviously a younger Chris Rock, based off himself growing up in the Brooklyn of the 1980s. His brother, Tony Rock, is brought to life in the character Drew. His father, Julius, is adapted into Julius, and he added an annoying little sister named Tanya for some reason, even though she never really existed. It's a comedic take on the childhood of Rock, who felt like the world was against him. It's funny to see how everything the character does backfires and leaves him in a sucky outcome. Chris is unpopular and nerdy, and he constantly tries to climb the social latter, but always fails and his efforts backfire, leaving him the butt of the joke. He always has good intentions, but the world just seems to be against him. Chris' pure heart and will to fit in, coupled with his outstandingly bad luck, make him a loveable loser that you can't help but care about. He's a black Charlie Brown, and you just want him to succeed but love when he doesn't.

A hilarious aspect of the show I should point out is the dad, Julius. Julius is a hilarious interpretation of Rock's real father, making him a cheap, money grabbing tightwad who cares about his family but gets blinded by a paycheck. What makes him so funny is the outlandish lengths he goes through to save money, and the way he is able to instantly tell the price of something and how much money is being spent around him. He's so cartoonishly cheap and surrealistically money-hungry that I can't help but laugh when he steps onscreen.

Now, obviously there's a little more than the Teen-boy-growing-up thing that connects this to the Wonder Years. For those who've seen the show, we all know where I'm going with this. Just like in The Wonder Years, Chris' endeavors and misadventures are narrated by an older version of the character reflecting on his childhood. Unlike the cynical, sarcastic 30-something Kevin recalling his younger days, we have the cynical comedian Chris Rock doing it to his younger self. It's essentially the same idea, told from the view of a black kid in the 80s instead of a white kid from the 60s, which is odd because I'm a black kid in the 2000s and I relate more to the white kid from the 60s....

Anyway...
    Script- 9
    Acting-7
    Characters-7
    Originality-6

Overall- 7...Not as riveting and real as The Wonder Years, but an interesting take on it and definitely worth a watch every now and again, at least in my arrogant opinion. D out
  • Havent watched alot of this show but I think it's pretty good.

I like Chris Rock but I think he thinks to much of himself like in this show. I do though like the actors in this show are great. I also think this show is really funny. Its pretty informitive to because like before this show I didnt know Chris Rock grew up in a poor neighborhood.
  • quite funny

i was never really a big fan of chris rock, but when i seen this show was coming to the uk on channel 5 i decided to give it ago, as it was on a sunday, and all i do on a sunday was relax and watch tv. i found eveybody hates chris to be quite amusing, its harmless fun and can be watched by all, young and old. if you havent seen the show id recommend you give it a try you might like it. the characters of chris and chris's dad are great. a decent honest family show.
  • "Malcolm In The Middle" meets Spike Lee's "Crooklyn" with a dash of "Bernie Mac." Not a bad recipe.

"Malcolm In The Middle" meets Spike Lee's "Crooklyn" with a dash of "Bernie Mac." Not a bad recipe. I love Rock so I guess I'm a little biased but I think this show deserves shot. It's smart and funny - a tall order for most comedies on TV today. It's in a tough time slot so set your TIVO.
  • It's funny

Everybod Hates Chris was supposed to be the anti Everybody Loves Raymond. If Chris Rock's aim was to create something completely different than the CBS primetime hit-than he has succeeded. The era, race, neighborhood, and family dynamic of this show all culminate to make 'Hates Chris' a very viable show. Yet, at the beginning of the series in '05, I had my doubts about the comedies staying power. I thought the voice overs would annoy me, but they only add comedic punch. I assumed this show would play old black sitcom cliches like not being able to pay the rent- so far, I haven't seen that plot. It's fresh, humorous-a bit forced at times, but all in all a good show.
  • Enjoyable show with one or two little problems.

Overall I really like \"Everybody Hates Chris,\" but I have one or two issues.

#1. Chris Rock\'s narration. He may be a brilliant comedian, but his acting, even when it\'s just a voiceover- is pretty bad. It doesn\'t help that he\'s basically SCREAMING all his lines. Louder doesn\'t mean better, Chris. He needs to tone it down about 1000 percent and just read the lines, because it\'s no fun to be yelled at while watching TV. Also sometimes his narration is just a word or two, which is jarring and seems out of place. Whatever\'s being said at that point may be a good joke- but it slows the entire scene down because you have to stop and figure out who said that, etc. It\'d be better to sacrifice jokes like that in favor of keeping the story moving. If they\'re really great jokes, figure out some other place to put them, but please don\'t just stick them into a scene where people are already talking, because it\'s hard to differentiate character dialogue with voicever and if we have to stop to do that, we get so far behind that we might as well just give up and change the channel.

#2. The mother. Once upon a time a character like the mother would have felt fresh and innovative. I\'m talking around 1965, when every mother on TV was like Mrs. Brady, etc. But in 2006, every mother on TV is just like the mother on \"Everybody Hates Chris.\" She\'s basically a clone of the mother from \"Malcolm in the Middle\" and that character has been duplicated basically on every sitcom that came along since \"Malcom\" premiered. The \"yells a lot/don\'t get her mad/but she really loves her family anyhow\" mom character feels SO overdone now that it\'s become about as realistic as Mrs. Brady ever was. I\'m sure the character on \"Everybody Hates Chris\" is slightly based on Chris Rock\'s real mother, but there\'s a little too much \"TV\" in there to make her seem like anything other than yet another sitcom carboard cutout. The dad character is kind of the same way (befuddled but loving) but at least he\'s funnier to watch than the mom character, who we\'ve now watched on countless sitcoms for the last 10 years. Frankly, these days it\'d be refreshing to see a character MORE like Mrs. Brady on a sitcom- if only because you don\'t see characters like that anymore. Whereas the mom on \"Everybody Hates Chris\" truly is a dime a dozen. It\'s televisions attempt to mirror real life, by creating a mother character who does more than bake cookies and ask how your day was, etc. Except they\'ve gone from one stereotypical extreme to the other and neither one of them is terribly satisfying to watch.

#3. Minor point here, but nonetheless valid: at the end of every show, the kid who plays Chris has the same dumb \"I\'m so surprised\" look on his face. Now and then it\'s funny- but in every single show? That\'s a bit much.

As I say, I really do like this show, but as good as it is- it really brings nothing to the table we haven\'t seen before. I guess Chris Rock is lucky- he got to grow up living a sitcom life. I say this because if \"Everybody Hate Chris\" is REALLY what his life was like, his life was a LOT like a really stereotypical sitcom. A good sitcom to be sure, but hardly a groundbreaking one.
  • Everybody Hates Chris, a show inspired by the teenage life of Chris Rock is, from what I can see from the pilot episode, a show that is at least worth one or two seasons. While the show did cause a few audible laughs from me, I found the humor to...

Everybody Hates Chris, a show inspired by the teenage life of Chris Rock is, from what I can see from the pilot episode, a show that is at least worth one or two seasons. While the show did cause a few audible laughs from me, I found the humor to be a bit repetitive. (For example, Chris's Father knows exactly how much money is being wasted on anything.) However, I never found any part of the show to be "stupid" (like American Dad, which makes me laugh occasionally, but is not a good comedy in my opinion). I can see a reflection of Chris Rock's comedy in this show. I don't know how the show will hold up as a series, but the pilot episode is decent. If you've got nothing better to watch, watch Everybody hates Chris.
  • Everyone keeps on praising Tyler Williams as this breakout star. Sure, I think the kid is talented, but I find the magic of Everybody Hates Chris rests solely on the shoulders of the parents, charismatically preformed by Tichina Arnold and Terry Crews.

7.8
    Does anyone else find it odd that the best three network sitcoms (arrested development, my name is earl, and everybody hates christ) currently airing all rely heavily on narration? I rarely enjoy television narration. It is too often used for shortcuts in plot development and hardly ever executed properly. The only perfect example I can think of is Daniel Stern’s work on The Wonder Years.

Perhaps that’s why I don’t mind it on Chris Rock’s Everybody Hates Chris (by the way – I hate that title, its far too contemporarily contingent and totally clichéd), which is essentially the black Wonder Years in sitcom form.

Everyone keeps on praising Tyler Williams as this breakout star. Sure, I think the kid is talented, but I find the magic of Everybody Hates Chris rests solely on the shoulders of the parents, charismatically preformed by Tichina Arnold and Terry Crews. Also, huge props to the costume designers of Everybody Hates Chris for not mocking or overplaying 80’s fashion, which is so easy to do (see Reunion).
  • Based on Chris Rock's comedy, it seems like it's Everybody Loves Raymond except it takes place during his teenage years. One that could be interesting if it got the right story.

7.8
    Seeing the fall pilots is always an exciting time for me. I can decide what I like and what I dislike. While this show has some of the comedy, I wasn't laughing as hard as I thought I would. It takes the Malcolm and the Middle approach, there is no studio audience and it's told by an adult who's reflecting. This wasn't anything like I thought it would be like. I thought the acting was dry and the chemistry was weak. The punch-lines didn't really have any kick. It did get the main story across and at least you could figure out who was who and what they were doing and why. The plot wasn't hard to follow, that was good. I wouldn't give this series a second thought. It'll probably be cancelled after airing only a few episodes with the competition it's against.
  • Chris - what the hell is your problem. Bruh do you need money! I can get a fund raiser going for ya. You are so much better than that. "Everybody Hate Chris", and opposed to "Everybody Loves Raymond". That was the best title you could come up with. Chris

7.9
    Can we say Black Writers, from the black perspective in the 1970's, because baby this an'it it. Good cast, but unbelievable some of the lines, responses. Those words weren't even said back in the 70's, and if they where you got your azz kicked for it. Chris we love ya
  • I like it

Even though this show makes a fw offensive jokes, I think it made up for it with the clever diolauge and the intresting plots. All the charaters are worthy of notice and I think that the show really did its best it could do all the way to the end. Nice job people.
  • This show is pretty good, but i have a few problems with this show.

Everybody Hates Chris is a funny show and i laugh at it, but i have a few problems with it. The only place they show this show is Nick@Nite well sometimes. I don't think they do that anymore. The problems are the bullies at school are mean to Chris and annoying, and basicly everyone hates him, that's he problem i have. The good thinks about the show is the funny Chris Rock and he narrates the show which i find funny. Now he has a brother named Drew Rock, Tanya Rock, and he has parents named Rachelle Rock, and Julius Rock. Now the funniest character would have to be Julius Rock. HE is so funny and he just cracks me up. Chris also has a best friend named Greg who is pretty funny. Overall 8/10.
  • actually decent

the first time i watched this show, i did not like it. But this week they have been having marathons and i enjoy it. a lot of the 80's jokes i probably do not get, but it is still good. the only thing i genuinely do not like is his mother, i don't like the personality nor do i like the actress. But i just ignore her most of the time. This is a pretty funny show and I think if people watched it they may like it. I recommend it. My overall grade is a B+ because as i said, i dislike his mother
  • This show cracks me up so much but there are a few problems though

"Everybody Hates Chris" is a great show and this show makes me laugh very hard. It isn't my favorite show because of the fact that I have a few problems with this show but it is very enjoyable and just plain hilarious. Also, the hilarious Chris Rock narrates this show about his childhood with Tyler James Williams as teenage Chris Rock. Chris Rock has a brother named Drew Rock, a sister named Tanya Rock, a mother named Rochelle Rock, and a father named Julius Rock. I love Terry Crews and he always cracks me up as Julius Rock (the man who worries about money alot). Chris Rock also has a best friend named Greg Wuliger. There are more characters as well such as Kill Moves, Mr. Omar, Doc, and more. My least favorite character in this show is Tonya. I just despise that girl so much, she always gets whatever she wants from Rochelle and Julius. She loves to get Chris and Drew in trouble especially Chris. She even blames them for her trouble that she causes. She also eavesdrops on the schemes that Chris or Drew are up to and she demands to keep her mouth shut for them. She gets in trouble once in a while which is good but most of the time... she just gets away with everything and I hate her so much for that. Tonya is one of the problems I have with this show. The other problems is how Chris is being hated so much at school just because Chris is black (to me, that's not funny... that is just being messed up to another race), Caruso beating up Chris, most of the episodes also have cruddy endings. Overall, I have a few problems with this show that can improve so much more but the humor in this show is absolutely excellent and makes me laugh very hard. 8/10
  • Malcom In The Middle,huh?

The childhood of Chris Rock which is very bad is shown.This show is good,but not the best.Hate Chris Rock's annoucing in this episode.Too bad it ended like all of the good channels do and hire a lot of bad ones!!!Well,it's not that stupid or anything it said,but it kind of reminds me Malcom In The Middle.They always have to end with bad shows if they have to cancel all the good ones like what they did to CN.All I know is that the narrating is so annoying in this show and that doesn't really make Chris Rock's career very bad.Good show,but it's not the best show ever.It kind of ripped off Malcom In The Middle,but it's still a good show.
  • cool show

this is a show that is almost base on actor and comedian chris rock and he is the Narrator in every episode and since most of everything is base on chris rock's life that means he was the only black kid in a white kid show and he live in bed sudy which is a real town and that he had a father that worked 2 jobs and knows the price of everything and when every episode ends a voice says everybody hates chris that is very funny and this is a good show to watch and we know about chris rock's life
  • its got a few problems

this show is good but the story line is boaring, what makes it as good as it is,is the comentary by chris rock,without it i think the show would a flop, and also i think the story would be better, more complete if it was an hour long show, most of the time i'm like wait what thats the end.
  • This is a decent show, but it is the best comedy out there today.

I was going to give this show a 7, as I did not find it too funny. However, I gave myself a moment to think, and decided to give it an 8. Why, you might ask? Well, I realized it was the best comedy show out there today, so I gave it an 8.

The best parts of this show are in Chris's mind. He has such a wild imagination! The funniest character on this show is Chris's dad. He is so cheap it is hilarious and it makes his character hilarious. I also like how everyone always blames and picks on Chris for every little thing, but it is not his fault.

Finally, I can't really find anything bad with this show, but I can't find anything jaw-dropping with it either.

For all the reasons listed above, I give Everybody Hates Chris an 8/10.
  • funny show about chris rock's childhood.

this is a really funny show about the famous actor chris rock, this show is about his childhood, but its really funny cause his mother is a badas*, his father tries to save as much money as he can, his sister always tells on him and his brother is much more popular then him and he is younger. this is a funny show taht will leave wanting to watch it, in th show he is poor so its halarius because he cant buy the things he likes cause his father is a cheap basta*d, well anyone it is a funny show so just watch it.
  • Childhood through the memories of Chris Rock.

Original and very funny. Probably the only good thing on UPN. Great eighties music and references and hilarious situations.

Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review
    Review Review Review.