Everybody Hates Chris

The CW (ended 2009)

Everybody Hates Chris Fan Reviews (166)

• The Black version of The Wonder Years!

OK, as we know we all loved the Wonder Years because of how much we could all relate to it growing up, even in modern day 2011 when the show took place in the 60s. So, I'm black, and I figured if they make the show black I could somehow relate to it even more than I did with white kids. Did I? Well no, but this was a pretty funny show and I did sort of relate to it.

The show is half-based off Chris Rock's real life, and it shows his childhood in a different take. Chris is obviously a younger Chris Rock, based off himself growing up in the Brooklyn of the 1980s. His brother, Tony Rock, is brought to life in the character Drew. His father, Julius, is adapted into Julius, and he added an annoying little sister named Tanya for some reason, even though she never really existed. It's a comedic take on the childhood of Rock, who felt like the world was against him. It's funny to see how everything the character does backfires and leaves him in a sucky outcome. Chris is unpopular and nerdy, and he constantly tries to climb the social latter, but always fails and his efforts backfire, leaving him the butt of the joke. He always has good intentions, but the world just seems to be against him. Chris' pure heart and will to fit in, coupled with his outstandingly bad luck, make him a loveable loser that you can't help but care about. He's a black Charlie Brown, and you just want him to succeed but love when he doesn't.

A hilarious aspect of the show I should point out is the dad, Julius. Julius is a hilarious interpretation of Rock's real father, making him a cheap, money grabbing tightwad who cares about his family but gets blinded by a paycheck. What makes him so funny is the outlandish lengths he goes through to save money, and the way he is able to instantly tell the price of something and how much money is being spent around him. He's so cartoonishly cheap and surrealistically money-hungry that I can't help but laugh when he steps onscreen.

Now, obviously there's a little more than the Teen-boy-growing-up thing that connects this to the Wonder Years. For those who've seen the show, we all know where I'm going with this. Just like in The Wonder Years, Chris' endeavors and misadventures are narrated by an older version of the character reflecting on his childhood. Unlike the cynical, sarcastic 30-something Kevin recalling his younger days, we have the cynical comedian Chris Rock doing it to his younger self. It's essentially the same idea, told from the view of a black kid in the 80s instead of a white kid from the 60s, which is odd because I'm a black kid in the 2000s and I relate more to the white kid from the 60s....

Anyway...
    Script- 9
    Acting-7
    Characters-7
    Originality-6

Overall- 7...Not as riveting and real as The Wonder Years, but an interesting take on it and definitely worth a watch every now and again, at least in my arrogant opinion. D out