Great shw, but Debra had too much control.

WS07PADRES

[1]Sep 7, 2007
    • level: 3
    I loved the episodes were she goofed up or when Raymond finally had a backbone.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Sherringford

[2]Sep 8, 2007
    • level: 5
    WS07PADRES wrote:
    I loved the episodes were she goofed up or when Raymond finally had a backbone.
    Not too many of those, especially the backbone type.

matzaa

[3]Sep 10, 2007
    • level: 25
    Debra had to much control? How about, MARIE?

Megaman200798

[4]Sep 13, 2007
    • level: 13
    Debra was nothing compared to Marie. made it funny though

sifuhotman34

[5]Mar 2, 2008
    • level: 6
    Debra is dominating in her relationship with Ray. Marie is on a whole other planet when it comes to the issue of control. She is flat out manipulative, conniving and consistently meddles in her sons lives. Those three qualities alone make her one of the funniest characters on the show.

Noteldnep

[6]Mar 19, 2008
    • level: 16
    Debra seemed bossy a lot of the time, but I agree that she was nothing compared to Marie. If I had someone like Marie in my family, I'd probably lose it!

DOMOJITA

[7]Jun 11, 2008
    • level: 18
    yah marie can be sutch a pain to be around with i dont know how frank lives with her or why ray rober debra and robert' ex-wife and new wife have to put up with her debra shude have finnaly snap at the end of the series and beat the h*** out of marie just to make her shut it for onec...amy thats who i was trying to remmember roberts new wife lol...yah i think there might have been times debra wanted to kill marie but it was her folt in the first place when ray try to worn her about thim liveing across the street from thim in that one flash back episode but oh well to late now.

King_MVP_Mr305

[8]Jun 15, 2008
    • level: 6
    i Agree Debra Yelled and was angry at Ray For eveything No wonder Ray Calls Her a "Yell Machine" in one episode

PiperPrueLover4

[9]Oct 6, 2008
    • level: 18
    Ray was stupid and annoying pretty much all the time. Debra needed to be controlling to keep him in line.

The episodes where Ray got a backbone made him seem incredibly smug and horrible.

Raynil

[10]Nov 11, 2008
    A great show that I really miss. I think that Marie had too much controll compared to Debra. :p

HurricanesR1

[11]Mar 28, 2009
    I liked Debra for the first few seasons because she was fairly polite and easy going. But after a while, she put red color in her hair and then became one of the most bossy, annoying characters on TV. I really didn't like her character after that because it felt like her outbursts were really pushed.

The rest of the characters were great from start to finish. They were awesome, as was the show!

Noteldnep

[12]Jun 17, 2009
    Marie was annoying, just straight, flat-out annoying. I take back what I said earlier in this thread, I would DEFINITELY lose it if I had to deal with someone like her! Marie was always sticking her nose into others' business, and if I were either Ray or Debra, I'd have taken liberty in getting a new lock!

Water78

[13]Jul 12, 2009
    • level: 47
    Noteldnep wrote:
    Marie was annoying, just straight, flat-out annoying. I take back what I said earlier in this thread, I would DEFINITELY lose it if I had to deal with someone like her! Marie was always sticking her nose into others' business, and if I were either Ray or Debra, I'd have taken liberty in getting a new lock!

or move from their house, far away

DBTrilogy100

[14]Jul 24, 2009
    • level: 7

PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    Ray was stupid and annoying pretty much all the time. Debra needed to be controlling to keep him in line. The episodes where Ray got a backbone made him seem incredibly smug and horrible.

Ray didn't come off as smug or horrible when he got a backbone to me. I also don't see Ray as stupid; he comes off more as clumsy, but not stupid. Ray isn't nearly as annoying as his parents and brother. I think he's the way he is because of his childhood; Debra is a tyrant and a complete demon; she's just like Carrie from King of Queens.

Seeing Ray get a backbone is just as satisfying as Tom beating Jerry, very satisfying .

MacsLady

[15]Jun 23, 2010

Ray could be lazy, annoying, kind of dumb, and sneaky at times, but he never really came across as being outright mean, whereas Debra sometimes did. Although some of the time her behaviour and bossiness was a reaction to Ray's bad behaviour, sometimes she was just out and out mean. Even other people could see it - when Marie and Frank did a 'Ray and Debra' skit, their friends pointed out how accurate it was because Ray is whiny and Debra's 'always so mean to him'. Then in the episode where Michael didn't want to go to school because he called the teacher 'Mummy', when Allie heard about it she said 'Why, was the teacher yelling?'

Debra also acted downright sneaky and out of line herself at times, like when she conspired with Marie to make Robert jealous by having Amy date Gianni.

I agree it was always very satisfying when she was proved wrong or Ray got some backbone for once. My favourite moment ever though has to be when she gets pissed off about Ray being hit on by a woman at the airport because he didn't have his wedding ring on, so when they go to the supermarket she takes off her ring and tries to flirt with this overweight, geeky looking guy who's loading up the fruit and veg boxes, and he just wasn't interested in her AT ALL. LOL, a well deserved slap in the face that let her know she wasn't as great, or as hot, as she'd like to think.

That said, sometimes seeing her give Ray his just desserts when he truly had acted out of line or was being a baby or whatever, were just as sastisfying, and I did feel sorry for her having to put up with Marie and Ray at times.

ct02809sb

[16]Jun 26, 2010

I think Debra had to take charge or there would be even more chaos than there was.

snake63

[17]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 20

Debra is a controlling witch and Raymond is a wimp.

Noteldnep

[18]Sep 20, 2010

MacsLady wrote:

Ray could be lazy, annoying, kind of dumb, and sneaky at times, but he never really came across as being outright mean, whereas Debra sometimes did. Although some of the time her behaviour and bossiness was a reaction to Ray's bad behaviour, sometimes she was just out and out mean. Even other people could see it - when Marie and Frank did a 'Ray and Debra' skit, their friends pointed out how accurate it was because Ray is whiny and Debra's 'always so mean to him'. Then in the episode where Michael didn't want to go to school because he called the teacher 'Mummy', when Allie heard about it she said 'Why, was the teacher yelling?'

Debra also acted downright sneaky and out of line herself at times, like when she conspired with Marie to make Robert jealous by having Amy date Gianni.

I agree it was always very satisfying when she was proved wrong or Ray got some backbone for once. My favourite moment ever though has to be when she gets pissed off about Ray being hit on by a woman at the airport because he didn't have his wedding ring on, so when they go to the supermarket she takes off her ring and tries to flirt with this overweight, geeky looking guy who's loading up the fruit and veg boxes, and he just wasn't interested in her AT ALL. LOL, a well deserved slap in the face that let her know she wasn't as great, or as hot, as she'd like to think.

That said, sometimes seeing her give Ray his just desserts when he truly had acted out of line or was being a baby or whatever, were just as sastisfying, and I did feel sorry for her having to put up with Marie and Ray at times.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Ray is definitely an idiot; heck, he can't even cook soup without catching the house on fire! And he definitely does other stupid things, like tape a football game over he and Debra's wedding video, have Debra's mom do all the work on her birthday party and then try to take all the credit himself, and there was alsowhen a girl in the laundry room flirted with Robert, Ray convinced him to lie to her about who he was.

But... it also annoys me when Debra tries to come off as a perfect wife and hottie. I also thought the grocery store mishap was hilarious because I too felt that Debra got a little dose of reality, which is that not EVERYONE is going to be attracted to her.

Even with all that said, they're not nearly as annoying as Marie. I felt sorry for Ray, Debra, Robert, Amy and even Frank at times for having to deal with her every day.