Exosquad Forums

USA (ended 1995)

ExoSquad

doomcrow

[1]Jun 7, 2007
    • level: 3

I remember this show so fondly. It used to come on Sunday mornings at 5 AM in Memphis and I would get up to watch it because I was absolutely in love with Nara Burns. I liked her Reconnaisance E-Frame and Alec DeLeon's Communication's E-Frame.

I remember saving my allowance for weeks on end so I could buy the newest toys. I think I ended up with close to fifteen. All of Able Squad's E-Frames (except Marsala's), Sean Napier's E-Frame, Typhonus and Phaeton, and I think Draconis. I started rambling through the attic the other day and came across Able Squad and Typhonus and I was like "BOSS!!"

I really believe if they re-released ExoSquad (updated, but the same script, cast, etc) it would have a major following this go 'round. It was kinda ahead of its time, I think. Maybe that's just me.

"Star Destroyer? Hah! I've got the Resolute II!"

"J.T. Marsh is my homeboy."

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kwick23

[2]Jan 30, 2008
    • level: 7

They could actually just re-relase the show on TV and probably be very successful.

Man do I want it all on DVD

DShep625

[3]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 2
    Yeah! I don't understand with all the crap they release on DVD why hasn't this great show been released yet?

igotbupkis

[4]Apr 28, 2008
    • level: 28
    > Yeah! I don't understand with all the crap they release on DVD why hasn't this great show been released yet

Uhhh, 'cause most people have never even heard of it*?

I'm not commenting on quality, since I don't think I've ever seen a minute of it. The fact that #1 up there says it was on at 5am says a lot about how many people saw it, though, which says a lot about the market for the DVDs.

Obscure shows no one knows about don't do well on DVD, esp. when they weren't even network shows, but syndicated.

Jeremy Piven's "Cupid" was a fantastic show, but (thanks to ABC's random scheduling) no one saw it... So it hasn't made it to DVD, either.

This show may well be a hidden gem, but it's still hidden. If it's really any good, people need to P2P eps from VHS recordings, and that might build some interest.

===============================

*I bumped into the show's page looking for info on The Martian Chronicles (1980), which the show inexplicably came up along with. Since I know most SF shows (including "masterpieces" -- ar-ar -- like "Holmes and Yoyo"), the sight of one I didn't even recognize seemed rather surprising -- and says a lot about how obscure the show actually is.

hmnut7

[5]May 10, 2008
    • level: 12
    http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=96682435&blogID=149120855

not as good as a DVD but still better than nothing.

Alec Deleon has been one of my favorite characters for many years. He is often an arch type for characters in my own writing.

cale1234567

[6]May 14, 2008
    • level: 7
    being english i never saw it until this year
    the show was way ahead of its time.But i couldnt stop feeling like some indian food every time someone said "masala"

The_Caveman

[7]May 18, 2008
    • level: 2
    You can now catch episodes on www.hulu.com. They've got the first 12 episodes up there, but since Hulu is completely new to me, I have no idea what their criteria is for adding new episodes. I forgot how much I used to love that show. I actually still have a TON of the toys all boxed up at my mom's house.

eurokomitet

[8]Jun 4, 2008
    • level: 5
    I think you can find most (if not all) of the episodes on Veoh. They're not great quality, but not terrible either.
    Exosquad was a great show. I can relate to waking up really early in the morning (I think it was 5:30 in my case) to watch it. The scheduling really did ruin it. I would definitely recommend the show to anyone (though judging by the number of forum topics here, not many people read this). I loved how the show didn't portray its ethical conflicts as black and white issues. The bad guys always had moments of goodness and inner conflicts about what they were doing, just as the good guys had their own dark moments. It was really mature for what was basically a Saturday-morning cartoon. Too bad it got canceled, especially with the final cliff-hanger. I was a little worried that it would turn into the same thing over again though (with Nara fighting her own kind like Marsala did against the Neo sapiens).
    Deleon was my favourite character, but I always thought Marsala's e-frame was cooler (especially with the cloak).

I actually heard rumours once that someone was thinking of making an Exosquad movie (with CGI and live action).

hatchusaf

[9]Jul 28, 2008
    • level: 3
    This show had the distinction of being my favorite show as a kid as well as having the most BADASS toys that I ever owned. This was a cartoon that was really meant for a more mature group than what was really the norm for cartoons at the time. You had to watch every episode in sequence to know exactly what was going on.

loganrogue24

[10]Apr 15, 2009
    • level: 6
    it came out on dvd april 14 i loved Nara Torres and Weston those girls were my crushes i think i loved Nara and Maggie more Torres was cool but she was to milatary.

snake588

[11]Jan 6, 2011
    • level: 1
    ya he play that part so good.you almost beleive he was a real doctor in real life. one of best on the show