An Extant Community
CBS (ended 2015)

Extant S01E05: "What on Earth Is Wrong?"

Much to my disappointment, "What on Earth Is Wrong?" did not spend much time on the sea freighter Extant boarded last week, so I wasn't able to use "I'm On a Boat" as the title of this review, which I really, really wanted to do. But that's okay, because "What On Earth Is Wrong" presented me with another gift: A whole pile of questions! Let's get right down to them...

7. When are we going to learn WHY Sparks and ISEA are so interested in this space baby?

Molly's lab dude hit on a key discovery this week when he Instagram-filtered the Seraphim's security footage and found that new energy frequency or whatever it was, but other than showing Molly that she was "visited" by some invisible magic waves, what did it tell us that's useful? We already knew Molly got pregnant in space. We already knew that Sparks and ISEA knew that Molly got pregnant in space and that they had something to do with it. And now we… sorta know HOW she got pregnant. But why do we care?

ALSO: Why did the invisible magic waves kill all the worms? BECAUSE THAT IS THE GREATEST MYSTERY.

6. Why are there still customer satisfaction surveys in the future?

You know what I'm talking about. You go to Kohl's to buy some cheap but totally cute new clothes, and after you've handed over your credit card to pay, the cashier gives you a receipt that says you can call a phone number and answer a survey about your visit in exchange for a discount or a chance to win something. Guess what? Barely anyone fills out those surveys. Most people hate those surveys. Thus, they can't yield that much positive feedback, which means that by some law of science they should die out in the future. Except nope! As soon as Joshua Malina's doctor guy (Joshua Malina, why are you on this show?) left the hospital room, the giant screen asked Molly and John to answer a survey about their visit. What's the point of setting a show in the future if it's still going to feature the same annoying stuff from the present?

5. Really? The dog bite? That's Molly's magical answer to proving she was pregnant?

Last week, Molly was bitten by her father's dog because the dog was smart enough to smell her alien baby from a mile away and recognize danger. This week, after discovering that the ISEA and Sparks straight up baby-snatched that alien from her womb and Sam acted like Molly was a crazy person, Molly realized that the towel she'd used to staunch the bleeding was still at her dad's house, and she could use that to prove she'd been pregnant. Come on, Molly, really? That's what you're going with? Plus, if Molly's blood didn't show any evidence of pregnancy hormones when she was in the hospital, what made her think there'd be any on that dried up dirty towel? Maybe the alien baby didn't require any pregnancy hormones in the first place! Unless we actually get to see what Sparks saw when he messed with Molly's DIY test results in her dad's garage, I'm not buying Molly's logic.   

4. Is John in on the conspiracy?

Look, I know it appears that John is currently the one and only card-carrying, non-Molly member of Team Molly Is Not Crazy, but what if he's not? Maybe I'm paranoid, but this show is about alien babies and robotic children, so why shouldn't I be paranoid? What if John is in on the whole thing? Not only does he have unparalleled access to Molly, but he seems to be taking things remarkably well for a dude whose astronaut wife believed she was secretly impregnated with his sperm while in outer space. I don't think the idea that there's more to John than meets the eye is completely outside the realm of possibility.

3. WTF is the baby? Alien? Human? Hybrid?

At the end of the episode Sparks asks what the baby is, and the guy in the lab cheekily replied that it's a boy. But is the boy human? It is alien? Is it a human/alien hybrid? It looked pretty human, albeit human with a few too many umbilical cords. What do you think?

2. What happened to Julie's legs?!

It's clear that the 60 seconds Extant spent on Julie's personal life this week were supposed to give us a glimpse into A) why we should care about her, B) why she's so wrapped up in Ethan, and C) show off some cool futuristic technology. But her shower scene was a bit too heavy on the "Lieutenant Dan! You got new legs!"—it didn't exactly leave me thinking, "Ah, yes, I now understand Julie on a deeply psychological level." Plus, I initially thought she was just lazy. I mean, I get it—who hasn't wanted to sit down in the shower?—but ultimately I feel like the episode should've devoted more time to Ethan instead. And speaking of the little guy...

1. What does all of this mean for Ethan?

RoboKid's been rebooted after being cattle-prodded by those jerks last week, which obviously means something has changed within him. And you just KNOW that Extant is going to use the "came back wrong" trope. But what does that mean? Will Ethan's hatred for birds be even stronger? Will he upgrade to murdering humans? Maybe he'll stop murdering altogether? Only time will tell, but if he isn't leading a robot uprising by the end of the season, I'm going to be super disappointed.

What did you think of "What On Earth Is Wrong"? What new questions do YOU have for Extant?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/9/2015

Season 2 : Episode 13

54 Comments
Comments (54)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Yes, the show is a hot mess. But boy is ot entertaining.
Flag
makes me laugh the people keep saying its a mess, I can understand and enjoy it, simple thing is, switch off and leave those like me in peace to watch it and enjoy it, go watch some reality trash.
Flag
One note here on the survey at the DRs. Fast Food restaurants do this as well, and I think they demonstrated that medicine in the future (hell medicine NOW) is basically like driving thru a Starbucks.

The he human connection is at it weakest point.

Now if the show would actually concentrate on those subtexts and themes, as well as Ethan, it might get interesting again. Or rather for the first time. :-/

Not sure if it's sheer laziness that has kept it on my DVR, but I'm inclined to think so.
Flag
This show's a hot mess, that's for damn sure. But I'll keep watching because I love the domestic scenes between Molly and John. And, yes, it's because I like imagining what it would be like to be married to Goran Visnjic. Don't judge.
Flag
I'm a little late, to this discussion. But i just caught up. Having just watched the episode "Nightmares", i'm starting to formulate a theory.

Is the baby alien? Almost definitely. But was what caused the pregnancy, living biological aliens? I don't believe so. There was discussion of Molly's footage, looking like it could be nanites. I'm starting to think that:

A) An alien race facing extinction; created a nano-virus, as a way to spread their dna. So that they could continue, as a species.

B) Or more likely, an alien race created a nano-virus, for some other purpose. But it went horribly wrong, leading to the extinction, of said alien race. Now the nanites, have found their way to humans. Being that nanotech, are microscopic robots; that could in some way, tie into the whole humanics robot, and robotic limbs storylines.

We'll eventually see, how close i am. I'm still working on it. But the plot, becomes more clear to me, every episode.
Flag
I'm still very divided about this show; I can't decide if it's worth watching just because Halle Berry's in it or whether it actually may have some merit to it. Either way, they are going to have to start answering some of the big unanswered questions soon or I'm going to bin it like so many of these types of shows that promise so much but deliver so little!!
Flag
Just because Halle Berry was in Cat Woman didn't make it worth watching. :)
Flag
Dunno, that cat suit was pretty alluring!! ;-)
Flag
A lot of the comments seem to assume the swirling light is some sort of alien. I tend to think the show is going sci-fi-spiritual. There were several references to Souls in the first episode and even a small debate. I think the scientist are searching for souls of people who once were and trying to reconnect them with human (maybe even robot) bodies.
Flag
7. Sparks and ISEA aren't interested in the space baby. The 'Evil Japanese Tycoon' is. He believes it will give him immortality.

6. Presumably because they still haven't figured out how to satisfy their customers.

5. There were pregnancy hormones in Molly's blood when she had her initial re-entry physical. That's how she and Sam found out that she was pregnant in the first place. The towel is perfectly valid.

4. John is a monomaniac. All he cares about is his robot project. He tries to pretend like he cares for Molly and believes her, because he thinks it makes him seem human. It doesn't.

3. Alien-human hybrid. Right out of X-Files. No one ever said this was an original show.

2. No idea. But if I want to sit down in the shower, I take a bath.

1. Rise of the Machines, obviously. What I want to know is how come they didn't notice the scorch marks on Ethan's power-supply from the cattle-prod. It gave off some pretty big sparks.

My question is, how long will it be able to keep me interested enough to keep watching? I was bored most of the way through the episode, but there was just enough mystery about the pregnancy to make me want to see the next ep. But only barely.
More+
Flag
Just barely, indeed. I totally agree. If the big reveal turns out to be nanobots (which seem to be this generation of TVs equivilent to "... and it was all a dream") or, even worse, souls orbitting the planet trying to reinhabit people by making them pregnant, I am definitely out.
Flag
"souls orbiting the planet..."! You called it :)
Let's just hope we get some better SciFi next year.
Flag
I enjoyed the episode for the science fiction parts of it, but I haven't been able to connect with the characters. Maybe I've missed too many episodes, but I'll keep trying to watch it.
Flag
I think that was the best ep so far...
Flag
It was better than last week, but that's not saying much.
Flag
7. When are we going to learn WHY Sparks and ISEA are so interested in this space baby?

The baby is part of a plan to prevent human extinction. The details will be revealed one at a time over this season and the next, if there is a next.

5. ...if Molly's blood didn't show any evidence of pregnancy hormones when she was in the hospital, what made her think there'd be any on that dried up dirty towel?

She bled on the towel before the bad guys abducted her, drugged her, cut her open, and then scienmagically restored her body to a scar-free non-pregnant state.

You're suggesting that there were no traces of pregnancy in her blood before because the baby is alien, but the doctor would have noticed that.

4. Is John in on the conspiracy?

That would be really bad writing.

1. And you just KNOW that Extant is going to use the "came back wrong" trope.

That didn't even occur to me until now. I hope not.
Flag
Oscar-winning actress she may be, but Halle Berry's portrayal of astronaut Molly Woods is as credible as Vladimir Putin portraying himself as a man of peace.
This show is all over the place. The original interesting premise is being dumbed down unbelievably. I've given up on it and am only 'following' it by having it on while I'm cooking.
Flag
1. I like Ethan. I hope they do not turn him evil. That would be cliche.
2. I don't know about Julie's legs, but it does explain that shower shot in the opening credits.
3. The baby must be at least half alien.
4. Again, I hope John is not in on the conspiracy and I don't think he is. Molly needs someone in her corner.
5. The bloody towel makes sense to me. It was a way to test Molly's blood before all evidence of the pregnancy was removed (with their advanced technology I suppose). It was a useful way to prove that Molly isn't crazy.
6. Don't give a crap.
7. We know that it has something to do with the dude who is dying...he needs the alien DNA to cure him. This has been alluded to. Sorry I can't remember his name.
I find it interesting that many viewers find this show so boring, and think that all the characters are so stupid. Do you really think you would be able to figure it all out if it were happening to you? I very much doubt it.
Flag
Actually, I perceive a turn. At last, our "heroes" are beginning to wake up and fight back. Molly is now infiltrating the Evil Corporation, using counter-measures (a MP3-cube? SatRadio? Whatever.), stealing info from her co-workers (evidently, in the future they don't care if in-house data can get sent outside on a whim. Bad security, on principle.) There's hope yet.
Obviously, all the other criticism raised here is still valid, but hey, I like to see the glass half full.
Flag
I think anyone who wants to enjoy the show should stop reading the reviews here.
Flag
Too true! This reviewer just doesn't get it.
Flag
And what do you know. They listen to me. No reviews this week. Ha!
Flag
Agreed!
Flag
The last two weeks things got so interesting. I am glad I am still watching. I am glad they did not show the Alien at all which is cool.
Flag
Actually, my favorite scene was the shower. Everything else is pretty predictable, but the shower was a pleasant unexpected diversion. Plus,
it was put together very believably.
Flag
I kind of enjoyed this episode, but I've gotten used to the "gentle" pacing and maybe the speak-slowly-so-you-understand parts. (The flashback-to-the-same-episode-because-you-already-forgot-about-the-orange-juice thing was a little much, though.)

Perhaps it's like a Duplo blocks version of Sci-Fi, but if it helps to get more people discussing the space program and speculative fiction at their favorite watering holes, that's probably a plus overall. Also, more Hiroyuki Sanada, please.
Flag
I'm a big fan, I really like this show.
Flag
I am still hanging in there with this show (I don't have anything else to watch anyway), but I am disappointed with the writing. It could have all been so much more interesting and fast paced! All the discoveries they made in this episode, they could have made earlier in the series so we could be onto the good stuff by now. Every time I see previews for the next episode, I think finally... they are getting somewhere, but then they don't go anywhere!
Flag
This show is Berry, Berry slow. I can Halle keep awake when I watch it.

Speaking of boring things, I just turned down the website's request for a quality survey. Interesting idea when I was just reading a review which mentioned no-one likes those surveys. In the case of tv.com, the survey is usually too long and asks details about things I have no idea how to answer and evaluate. I'd gladly give my opinion of what I think about the website, but it would be about just a few specific items.
Flag
I turned it down too because I do not live in the States anymore. I almost forgotten about it but it is so appropriate for you to bring this up here under the comments.

Of all the complains about the show I saw above, the survey brings the most chuckle.
Flag
I just clicked on "I don't watch TV" and it magically disappeared.
Flag
And how do we make sarcasm magically disapp
Flag
I'm very disappointed. There was no probing nor prodding. They just removed the alien baby and took Molly back to the shore. Seriously? No wonder this show is unofficially cancelled.

I have no idea why after 5 episodes they suddenly showed us that Julie has artificial legs. Are we supposed to care about her now or what?
Flag
Why you keep reviewing this piece of fart and didn't review a single episode of Power? Just forget about Extant already and switch to good shows!
Flag
POWER is a very good show. It is my favorite summer show.I loved it and the cliffhanger in the finale was exciting. I want to watch season two now.

For those who have not watch it yet, I recommend you wait till season two is about to premiere.
Flag
'Power' is done. Only got 8 episode first season order.
Flag
Sorry, my bad, you indeed did. But you should've shifted you efforts and stop on 1st episode of Extant, while keeping to review such a good show like Power! People should know the truth!
Flag
Customer Surveys...

It doesn't matter how useless the consumers feel they are... it's how they are perceived by management. And there are some things management will never give up on: surveys, metrics, monthly TPS reports, etc.
Flag
Don't forget to put the cover letter on those TPS reports. Did you get the memo?
Flag
"Thus, they can't yield that much positive feedback, which means that by some law of science they should die out in the future."

Look at how long Nielson ratings have lasted...
Flag
Again, the story seems to be written for people who are too easy to dupe, and the characters themselves EXTREMELY easy to dupe. For future people they sure do a lot of stupid stuff and don't bother to really look into things (and their surveillance sucks!). To answer some questions posed by Kaitlin: (7) The money-man behind this whole thing -- played by Sanada -- is dying and has said in a past episode that since efforts to make a cure for all that ails ya, or at least for what's killing him, that the baby may be the last hope. Now, how they knew that 'it' would come on board and impregnate her, or even how they suspected it might, is a mystery since they made it clear they experimented on her predecessor as well (if they had played it smarter with the script they could have said that they were unaware of any alien -- if it's alien -- life until his 'accident', and that Molly was sent up intentionally after to try and woo them back!), but hey.

(6) No idea what happened to her legs, but it does give a rather obvious reason for her being so into development of robotics. I agree the shower scene was too contrived, and don't be hard on yourself for thinking she might just be lazy, Kaitlin. I seem to recall a previous scene with Molly and she was also sitting in the same kind of seat, but she has legs!

(4) I kind of find John's character annoying. I think he's in on it to a very limited extent. Maybe he agreed to let them try something in space, not knowing the full extent of what he had agreed to, and now he's trying to make up for it.

(7) I'd say the baby's a hybrid.
More+
Flag
if they had played it smarter with the script they could have said that they were unaware of any alien -- if it's alien -- life until his 'accident', and that Molly was sent up intentionally after to try and woo them back!), but hey.

That clearly what they have been doing in the show. They writer just haven't spelled it out to the audience, that probably because script writer thinks the audience is smart enough to figure that bit out for themselves rather than have it handed to them on a platter.

Flag
Actually, there is still the issue of the death of the daughter of Molly's evil boss. She supposedly died on one of the missions. They knew something was going on at an earlier date.
Flag
That true there Sparks daughter and then theres Hideki Yasumoto who only hasa hundred days to live, which could have something to do with the alien beings as well.
Flag
I skipped-through so much of this episode, mainly the Molly&John scenes and the attempted reboots of the kid. As cool as the ideas of robotics, bionics, and androids are, I don't care about them in this show, I just want to know what is up with this evil corporate space agency.
Flag
I thought it was pretty smart, Sparks didn't have time rumble through the laundry and check everywhere in the house for any of her blood and even if he had took the towel which would have blood on it, would have been proof in itself that something happen to Molly in the woods. Unless they got to her father.

An clearly in the future they have a way to hide the fact that someone been pregnant, not sure a blood transfusion would work but may be they developed a masking agent that block detection of the hormones. Similar agents have been developed to hide hormones in cheating athletes, it not that far fetch someone somewhere developed one for pregnancy to see if it could be done or to hide abortions or perhaps they just bought off Molly doctor.

We already have the technology to detect foetus DNA in the blood of the person that is pregnant. An that technology it currently being perfected as we speak.

Sparks interfered with the tests she performed at of her father place so that the machine produce an error, so that option was out. That test would have shown the weird non human DNA.

Her remembering she got some blood on a towel is more realistic than her performing a mission impossible style break in at the ISEA to looks for evidence or answers or one of the doctors they bribe suddenly changing there minds.
More+
Flag
This whole show and it's concept, looked extremely iffy from the start, and believe it or not, it's actually a lot worse than I ever thought it could be. I am simply shocked at the sheer waste of talent, as the cast certainly has some high profile names in it. What were they thinking?! On this evidence, Berry ought to make a return to movies and fast. It seems she's not done anything even remotely good in ages, and this whole show is just boring beyond words. I tried to give it a chance, but it seems nigh on impossible.
Flag
question 8 Why are will still speaking about this boring show
Flag
i only have one question for extant
1) why are you so slow? after 5 episodes now we know pretty much just as much as we did in the pilot, by now i would be hoping for a little action or something compelling enough for me to stick with this, even for a summer show its pretty boring and at this rate i just see the viewers depleting right to its cancellation,

all i have to say is extant get your shit together asap .
Flag
my only question: is the episode as bad as the review suggests???
I decided to stop after last week, just checking
Flag
It was no worse than last week's episode.
Flag
No, at I thought this episode was pretty good. An we got confirmation on a few things and this episode would have resolve some of the questions people had last week.
Flag
pretty much, this show is barely progressing at this point, and im an inch away from just saying screw it.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members