An Extant Community
CBS (ended 2015)

Extant S01E01: "Re-Entry"

CBS's new alien drama Extant stars big-named actors like Academy Award winner Halle Berry, ER alum Goran Visnjic, and The Practice vet Camryn Manheim. It's executive-produced by Steven Spielberg. But there's one name in the credits you won't recognize: Mickey Fisher. Extant is Fisher's first job in television; he won a screenwriting competition with the pilot script that eventually became Extant's "Re-Entry," and now he's running a splashy limited-event series on CBS. Let this be a lesson to you, kids: One day you could be selling your knitted socks out of the back of your van while doodling in your diary, and the next day your alien baby drama could be picked up by a major broadcast network. Dare to dream!

From one perspective, Fisher is a living, breathing motivational poster, proof that aspiring screenwriters should never give up hope, and that if they work hard all their dreams will eventually come true. From another perspective, depending on how well Extant performs over the next 13 weeks, he's a cautionary tale, reminding CBS and writers alike that there's a reason it's really tough to get a TV show on the air. Given the quality and direction of the pilot, I'd bet that Fisher is likely somewhere in between.

Extant bills itself as a science-fiction thriller that tells the story of Molly (Berry), an infertile astronaut who returns home to her scientist husband John (Visnjic) and android son Ethan (Looper's Pierce Gagnon) after a 13-month solo mission in space. As she attempts to readapt to life on Earth, she's startled to learn that she's pregnant. Whoops! Talk about awkward—how do you have that conversation with your husband? More importantly, how does that even happen? Well, it's actually quite easily explained.

As "Re-Entry" showed us, at some point during Molly's mission, a man who looked like Molly's known-to-be-dead ex-boyfriend appeared on the space station asking for help and generally acting super weird. So, like any sane person would do in such a situation, Molly opened the hatch, let him in, caressed his face, cried a bit, and then they got busy (technical term). I don't really know what happened, truthfully, and neither does Molly for that matter—we saw all this happen during a flashback, which involved some very confusing shenanigans recorded over the course of 13 hours of security camera footage that Molly eventually erased. All I know is that I sat through a health class in high school and I'm told that's how babies are made so until I'm told otherwise, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

Molly's (probably alien) pregnancy is only a small part of the mystery at the heart of Extant, however. A former colleague of Molly's at the International Space Exploration Agency (the government has outsourced the space program to the private sector in Extant's version of the future) experienced something odd during his own solo mission, and after returning to Earth, he eventually took his own life—or so we're supposed to believe. He's actually still alive and kicking, creepin' in Molly's driveway and delivering ominous warnings to trust no one (so far, all signs point to him not being pregnant, though). And it's the question of what happened to each of them that Extant promises to explore, which gives the series the "thriller" part of its description. On that same note, the ISEA knows there's something fishy going on, and that Molly's and her former colleague's stories are somehow connected, and they're doing their own investigation while putting on smiles that are just as fake as that of their newly returned and inexplicably preggers space bunny.

Extant isn't just about alien babies, though. It's about all forms of life, up to and including artificial intelligence. Because Molly couldn't conceive a child, John built them a robot kiddo, and he's played to creepy perfection by Gagnon. "Re-Entry" hinted at future storylines when it addressed a hypothetical situation in which androids like Ethan eventually rebel against their creators. The idea of a robot uprising is wholly unoriginal in science-fiction, and it's something we've seen countless times before, but just like the cylons in Syfy's Battlestar Galactica, having him look and appear human brings to light the debate about what constitutes humanity. When a potential investor inquired about a contingency plan to shut down Ethan and any beings like him in the case of mass resistance, we found out there isn't one—and that John vehemently considers Ethan to be his son and not a machine. In contrast, Molly struggles with that notion, claiming that the kiddo can't love because he's only capable of executing commands that John has programmed into him.

As a viewer, we can already sense where this arc is headed, but the fact that Ethan is a child makes it a bit of a touchy subject. He's already showcasing violent tendencies toward other children as well as birds (he totally killed that bird in the woods, I don't care that he said otherwise, and also that bird totally had it coming because birds are gross and terrifying creatures who should be stopped before they join the robots and we all become slaves in their robot bird kingdom). However, since Ethan is a kid, this story feels a bit unlike the "rise of the machine" motifs we've seen before. Is Ethan acting out because he's a robot on the verge of rebelling and becoming uncontrollable, or is he acting out because that's just what kids do? 

He's still a moody child who wants to choose his own ice cream, and who runs away from his mother because she won't buy him what he wants. Maybe it doesn't matter if he's a robot. Maybe in the future we still won't be able to stop kids from throwing temper tantrums in the park and that's just a natural part of life, real or artificial. So just as John insists that Ethan is a real boy, maybe it's his experiences that've made him that way. I hope Extant dives deeper into this idea of what makes us human, whether it's flesh and bone or just our shared experiences, because it's way more interesting than whatever's happening in Molly's uterus (unless, of course, she gives birth to an android baby, because that would be AWESOME). 

thekaitling:list:which-storyline-are-you-more-interested-in/

It's probably accurate to describe Extant as the equivalent of a typical summer blockbuster: It won't be winning any awards anytime soon, but it will probably get a lot of eyeballs. At the outset, the series isn't bad—in fact, it appears to be a perfectly fine sci-fi drama by normal broadcast standards—but it does feel unoriginal and a bit slow-moving, which isn't great for a series that only has 13 episodes to tell its story. The pilot admittedly had to set up a futuristic world, but Extant is acting as if it has all the time in the world, and right now, it doesn't. It's certainly possible that CBS will eventually pull an Under the Dome and renew Extant for Season 2 if the ratings are good enough, but I'd rather see the series pick up the pace and charge full steam ahead for its remaining 12 episodes. 

NOTES

– Did you guys see what taking out the trash will be like in the future? I want that compactor for real. Someone make it happen.

– Also in our future: moving pictures, just like in Harry Potter! But to be honest, that kind of creeps me out. 

– Random thought: Are there no new ideas in sci-fi now, meaning we have to keep recycling the same types of stories? Have we somehow hit on every possible theme? Shouldn't that kind of be impossible? 

– What the HELL was up with Asian dude? I left him out of the review because I'm still confused as to what role he plays in all of this.

thekaitling:list:extant-will-you-stick-around-for-episode-2/

What did you think of "Re-Entry"? Will you be back for Episode 2?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/9/2015

Season 2 : Episode 13

93 Comments
Comments (93)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I think she was never in actual space but in a lab being a lab-rat without knowing it. They made her pregnant and it is all paid by the asian guy who wants to see what happens. That actor is playing the same kind of character he was playing on Helix. Creepy with a big hidden agenda.
I'm curious on how it will continue.
Watching eps 2 and 3 tomorrow, then I'll decide if I keep watching the show although I could be just watching it for the beautifull Halle Barry.
Flag
Awful
Flag
I like it. Has many plots and it's good. One more: incredible elements of future!
Flag

This post is pilfered from another blog...I wanted to share it. I thought it was pretty good. I liked the first show, but I do agree that there was nothing original in the episode. It was an amalgam of different shows. To Wit:

So, let’s see how much was taken from other movies:

Robot Child – taken from A.I.
Immaculate Conception pregnancy – taken from Prometheus
Ghosts/return of dead people on space ship – taken from Event Horizon
Creepy male computer voice who controls ship – taken from 2001: A Space Odyssey
Violent robot who may overthrow humans – taken from Terminator, I Robot, and almost every other SciFi movie ever made
Evil greedy Japanese corporation – taken from Alien series (Yutani corporation)
Father who “creates” son – Pinocchio.

I thought this was an interesting list...

Flag
Well it was better than I expected story wise, acting wise I knew I wouldn't be let down. That robot child gives me the creeps I kept expecting him so start singing ring a ring rosy and killing things to have a new experience concidering how interested he was about the death of the bird. This show hopefully will take us on one hell of a joy ride and blow my mind with crazy weirdness.
Flag
com'on it has hetake (helix)/47 ronin....it's good!
Flag
LOL Exactly what I thought when I saw him.
They've somehow regenerated Hetake from Helix in the distant future and she's pregnant with his evil spawn/experiment, or something. :P
Flag
While it isn't anything i've not seen in a scifi story before, I feel like television is missing out on scifi right now and this will be a good fill to the void. But, this is only the first episode and while I loved it - I will be curious as to how long it can hold my attention.
Flag
Calling him "Asian dude" is borderline racist IMO, he has a name (Yasumoto), or he's the Japanese dude played by Hiroyuki Sanada from Helix, Just saying :)

Anyways wife and I watched it last night, really enjoyed it.
Flag
Like MANY actors before and many actors to come, Halle Barry is about to discover she's taken a TV role she probaby shouldn't have. Just because a show it pitched as a high concept series doesn't mean those concepts are good or that they'll translate (see Revolution).

I've got the sneaking suspision that 3-4 episodes in, Extant is going to reach The Following levels of eye rolling and face palming with what it's going to ask me to accept.

I'll probably still watch cause Halle's an alpha level smoke show and with her on screen, how bad could it REALLY be? That and it's a pretty weak summer schedule.

"...depending on how well Extant performs over the next 13 weeks, he's a cautionary tale, reminding CBS and writers alike that there's a reason it's really tough to get a TV show on the air"

I think I'd go beyond "really tough" 'cause this show is looking like it wants to compete with the big dogs and shows like True Detective, Game of Thrones, etc. are the closest thing to TV unicorns.

"So, like any sane person would do in such a situation, Molly opened the hatch, let him in, caressed his face, cried a bit, and then they got busy."

Facepalm #1

"...it's way more interesting than whatever's happening in Molly's uterus."

Ha!

"It's certainly possible that CBS will eventually pull an Under the Dome"

While I don't have high expectations for this show, it couldn't possibly be THAT bad, could it?

(unless, of course, she gives birth to an android baby, because that would be AWESOME)...(technical term)...(so far, all signs point to him not being pregnant, though)...(he totally killed that bird in the woods, I don't care that he said otherwise, and also that bird totally had it coming because birds are gross and terrifying creatures who should be stopped before they join the robots and we all become slaves in their robot bird kingdom)

LOL...took your funny pills this morning, didn't you?
More+
Flag
Xep, I fear I'll wear out on it, fast too ... on the other hand, for a series I did not want to watch at all and only accidently played it was a decent way to spend time.
Flag
I liked Halle Berry especially in Monsters Ball. I liked most of the other cast even though I do not know them before this episode. The kid is good. For Helix "fans", we are glad we get to see Dr. Hatake so soon again.

The show reminds me of A.I and a dozen other sci-fi show. It does not mean it will be bad though. I liked the premiere and the pacing though a little slow is certainly better than The Leftovers.

I am also intrigue by all the mysteries and hopefully there are answers at the end of season one.
Flag
The guy is Japanese and he did such a good job at playing a Villain who pretends to be a good guy on the Helix that he is hired to play the same thing here as well.
Flag
"but it does feel unoriginal and a bit slow-moving, which isn't great for a series that only has 13 episodes to tell its story. The pilot admittedly had to set up a futuristic world, but Extant is acting as if it has all the time in the world, and right now, it doesn't.'

Maybe, but it's much too early to tell. I like complex stories. And it seems as though, Extant is attempting this. The pilot laid out a lot of potential plots. I found the pilot intriguing, and will give it a few more eps. Remember some people were complaining, that Penny Dreadful had too much going on, and we wouldn't get the payoff, in the main stories. They were wrong.
Flag
Loved the pilot! Love Halle Berry in everything she does...
Ok, their kid is a bit creepy...with the whole ice thing and then running off. Then standing over a dead bird, (which probably he killed) but then the most creepy part...just like that he was like...like your hair....creepy...
Loved the flashbacks and understand what happened up there...so she got pregnant, by her ex, but that was actually a alien???
What about the guy who suppose to be dead and now is following her...
Did the company she works for, know somehow that she is pregnant with a alien???
Love to figure the story out!!
Flag
I was hooked from the first scene! The story is moving along great even the creepy robot child was not as awful as I expected. I just want to see the whole story unfold. No major plot holes and no eye rolling dialogue. The promo for next episode looks even better I cant wait.
Flag
Goran Visnjic is the worst choice ever, I never understood why Hollywood suddenly loved him. Quite a mediocre actor, but that's just my opinion
Flag
gotta fit Halle Berry's mediocracy
Flag
I enjoyed the series, it got me hook for the hour. Damn Halle Berry, looks really nice does she age at all? That is the mystery we should be talking about hahaha.
I'm curious to see where the series is headed, I hope they take the series into an interesting directions, the visuals were really good.

The kid from Looper played creepy in the movie and seems like he is going to play creepy in the show.
Flag
Spielberg's recent track record on TV isn't that glorious:

- Terra Nova, cancelled
- The River, cancelled
- Smash, cancelled
- Falling Skies, still going, but what about its quality? Haven't watched it.
- Under the Dome, do I need to say more?

United States of Tara (before Terra Nova) was good, but it too was not renewed after its third season. Then again, one doesn't know how much of an influence he really has on Extant. Maybe they are just using his name to lend credibility to the show while the other at least four executive producers are doing all the work. Even Halle is a co-executive producer.
Flag
IMO, Falling Skies is deteriorating badly. Been watching from the beginning, but they're losing us. The boat is getting ever closer to the shark...
Flag
The writers certainly threw just about every possible (well worn) sci-fi plot line into the pot, the only thing missing is a virus or attacking space ship. Of course Hitake is there so he might have another germ up his sleeve. The kid really pulled off creepy robot serial killer in training. No, it's not particularly original but I am intrigued enough to come back for a few more episodes. Agree with Mate and others down below that Halle comes off as a very unprofessional astronaut by erasing the tape and lying.

Flag
Not really if you think about it it could just be a career preservation instinct on her part. Maybe she didn't want the space agency thinking she was loony which am sure would be a career killer. Though I was disappointed to find out it was just ahallucination(seemingly for now)
Flag
Still unprofessional, astronauts are trained for anomalies. Plus, they sent her up knowing/hoping something would happen. I don't think it was a hallucination, just something that doesn't show up on camera.
Flag
I don't believe she knew, the corporation's hope for first contact.
Flag
I have no desire to see it. But it sounds better than Under the Dome.

Which... I do watch. But then again, Plan 9 From Outer Space and Santa Claus Conquers the Martians are two of my favorite movies.
Flag
Btw, Kaitlin, the "Asian guy" is Hataki from Helix! He's basically the same character in this show - the mysterious head of a scientifically advanced corporation with obviously evil motives. Haha. I do hope Extant has more (and hopefully newer) tricks up it's sleeves. It would be such a disappointment if it does turn out to be as predictable as it seems.
Flag
Ilaria gets around.
Flag
Since Stanislaw Lem's Polaris, the Alien intelligence plot has been revisited many times. In virtually all generational spaceship dramas, this is seen in one way or another.So nothing new there. Always, the managers behind the project have an agenda, usually a crass and greedy commercial one. Crucial information is not given or actively hidden from the crew. And in all, an Alien manifests and plays mind games with the Crew, or attempts communication, which is impossible as it turns out.
The title plays with the Title Extant and the word extinction, probably implying that of the human race. So this pregnancy is part of an invasion? Is it chemical warfare? We'll see. For a fist episode, there is nothing new, but this can and should change.
Flag
This feels like The Astronaut's Wife with a bit of AI and Solaris (and Moon?) thrown into the mix. :p I'm a sci-fi nut so, obviously, I gobbled this up but, yes, it feels a bit like eating leftovers. I don't think the problem is that there aren't any new sci-fi stories out there. It's that producers only seem to be interested in certain stories, especially ones that are proven moneymakers. Like with Gravity being such a huge commercial hit, I bet producers were chomping at the bit to make this show.

For all the fancy effects and hi-tech props the show had going on, I thought the AI voice on Halle's ship was just awful. It sounded like someone in the next room talking into a microphone. They should totally change the actor doing the voice-over and get some better audio people on that.
Flag
I liked Tyrant premiere better but this was very good. I will definitely be back for more. Admittedly, I'm a huge Hally Berry fan, so maybe I'm biased, but I love this genre a lot too.
Flag
I love this series! I just hope Halle Berry hangs around for all of it!
Flag
Ok, so we have immaculate conception, "Dawn of the Rise of the Machines", ghosts, and evil corporations.

Kind of an odd combination, but it could turn out to be interesting.
I know I'll be back next week.
Flag
Not only are there no original Sci-Fi ideas, they seem to be throwing all of them into the mix here.
Flag
Why isn't the trash compactor inside the house? You just put in the cannister, press down, and whoosh, it's gone. Could just as easily have been done under the sink, as far as I can see.

Also in hour future: anti-gravity toys. But not, apparently, artificial gravity for space-stations.
Flag
Well, the trash compactor is in the house. It's the disposal unit that is outside. Perhaps it's outside for communal use.

There was artificial gravity on the space station. It was present in Molly's lab and living quarters (she comes to stretched out on the floor). But the access bay/corridor above the living quarters was absent gravity.
Flag
The disposal unit could be communal, I suppose, but it looked like it was in their drive way.

That was just the space-station spinning, not real artificial gravity.
Flag
Wait, so the robot kid does not follow Azimov's 3 laws?
Flag
Obviously not. The Ethan's creator, John, believes that robots should have the same rights as humans from the word go.
Science can't detect anything that corresponds to a soul so, therefore, it doesn't exist, thus anything that seems like a human should enjoy full human rights.
Seriously twisted logic, but that appears to be what he thinks.
Flag
well, it's more complicated than that. He's not trying to develop sympathetic/empathetic 'bots by programming but through upbringing under "normal" conditions--things that need to be learned over time via real situations and experiences.
Flag
Yeah John is an arrogant arse. Scientists like him, would have lions roaming around freely, with human intellect. He's dangerous.
Flag
No decent scientist would put a human brain in a lion's body. It would obviously be a Polar Bear. =)
Flag
It was mediocre. Like SanityBleeds said in the other thread, I would have to wonder what it would be like with a different actress at the helm. I just can't buy Ms. Berry as an astronaut. Part of making any show work is that the actor or actress that is playing the role has to look the part and she just doesn't. Now the husband, damn, it is like they created an amalgam of several of my most annoying colleagues and put them in one character. He is doing a fantastic job and I buy him as a slightly obsessive/deluded scientist that insists that his experiment is a real boy despite Halle's character being right that the robokid is merely executing code and that is about it.

The kid is doing well I don't know if he is just really good or he is just kind of robotic. Now he comes off legitimately creepy but it seems tacked on. They don't have a lot of time to flesh out their conspiracy against Molly it seems like to whole of the story could be spent focusing on that.

The conspiracy seems a bit over done. I mean Molly as a character isn't that bright. First deleting the video is understandable but at least watch the whole thing first. You know, to find out what happened when you were passed out so you can go on from a knowledgable point rather then just blind ignorance. Plus she is trusting the people around her way too much. Ask the doctor to out it out of the report, sure. But why with such a revelation would a doctor risk her job and her career by doing that and how the administrators would simply buy her lame ass story that she accidentally deleted the footage. Likely they chose her because she is kind of dim, so there is that.

They kind of telegraphed the other astronaut coming back so that wasn't a
More+
Flag
Molly panicked when she saw the video. Since it was either an alien / ghost or "I'm crazy" kind of hallucination she deleted the whole thing in order to save her career and avoid a vacation in the nuthouse.
Flag
Yep, she did panic. I guess she didn't want to be put in quarantine for who knows how long, but when people in power find out she is pregnant, guess what? QUARANTINE TIME!
Flag
I doubt they will release her from the top secret military hospital before she gives birth to the alien baby. Till then there will be tubes, needles, probing and prodding 24/7.
Flag
If astronauts panicked, they wouldn't be astronauts. That is why the famous quote is, "Houston, we have a problem" rather than AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH WE'RE GONNA DIE!!

Most astronauts have had thousands of hours of training are very well educated, why? So that when they run into something bad, they do not panic, for them it is mission first and themselves second. Now that aside there was no rush in deleting the video the prudent step would be to watch the whole video to see what happened when she was out and act from that knowledge. Not doing so puts her at a disadvantage with the other people that know more than she does. So that coupled in her dealing with the Doctor and her superiors kind of leads her to the not so bright category.
Flag
May be the part of AHHHHH WE´RE GOING TO DIE ,were ALWAYS DELETED , :)
Flag
"Houston, we have a problem!" One of my earliest memories, it still gives me goose-bumps whenever I hear/read it.
Flag
I have to agree...

If you're having full blown video / auditory / AND textile hallucinations then something is wrong. And that's not something you try to sweep under the rug way up in outer space.

Ignoring the whole "alien" thing... it would have meant she has an issue with her brain that needs immediate attention. So pretending nothing happened hurts her and the project she's working on.
Flag
Well, it reminds of me of several things, yes? "I, Robot", "AI" more recently "Almost Human" with a little "The Astronaut's Wife" and even "XFiles" for good measure... let's see if we see an interesting twist somewhere there...
Flag
I'm definitely going to stick around for this show. It's true that the ideas in the show aren't original, but I thought the pilot was well done... and already this show is a lot better than most of the stuff I've been watching this summer, plus I love science fiction.
Flag
Ok, I watched the pilot and I have mixed feelings. The show is essentially a mix of "The Astronaut's Wife" and "Artificial Intelligence: AI".

I loved "The Astronaut's Wife" - it's one of my favorite sci-fi horrors / thrillers. Charlize Theron (as always) is divine as Jilian and Johhny Deep is so amazingly creepy as her husband.

I HATED "Artificial Intelligence: AI" - the whole "I created a robot boy cause we couldn't have a child" idea just freaks me out. Also that movie was just bad.

So I'm interested in the alien baby part of the show - and I totally don't care about robot boy.

I'll give "Extant" a chance cause I love both Hale Berry and Dr. Luka Kovač Goran Visnjic. Hopefully the show will focus on alien baby.

Thanks for review, Kaitlin.
Flag
I can understand you didn't like "AI" but I would not call it "bad".
It is just a different take on good old "Pinocchio".
Flag
For me "AI" was "OMG when is this going to end??" kind of boring. And the ending was melodramatically awful.

There are many movies about artificial intelligence. And while "Blade Runner" ("Tears in Rain" is one of the most beautiful scenes in the history of cinematography. Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer are fantastic) is without any doubt the best one - "AI" is in my opinion just a wasted opportunity.
Flag
Despite “Monsters Ball”, I don’t consider Halle Berry much of an actress; passable, yes. She’s fine in this middling TV series, but I think she needs a stronger director to bring out the spark.
Goran Visnjic (I’ll forever think of him as “Euro-Ross”) looks like he spent a lot of time taking American Gee-whiz! lessons, but never quite got it.
My first thought on seeing Ethan was, “This kid’s the offspring of Halle Berry and Goran Visnjic?!? No Way!” What a relief to discover he’s a bot. One has to wonder, though, why Humanics couldn’t have done better in their design/ergonomics department. If I’m buying an android surrogate-child, I want it to be at least as pretty as me…
Astronaut Molly’s destruction of the video and concealment of her ghostly encounter, particularly after she learns she’s pregnant, is so illogical that we wonder if there’s a backstory that she doesn’t want revealed…Nah, just lazy plot writing.
I keep waiting for Ethan to say, “I see live aliens.” It’s coming, trust me.
They’re spying on Molly’s psych sessions, but with all their future-tech they’re having trouble getting close to the family to keep an eye on them? Did they forget everything they learned from 21st-century NSA tactics?
Molly’s alien fetus killed the bird.
The camera shot down Halle Berry’s shirt to open the series was cheap, obvious, and disingenuous. But I forgive them.
I’ll give the series a coupla more weeks, but I’m not hopeful.
More+
Flag
Swordfish, Gothika, and all the XMEN movies were all good to me. Heck, I even liked her as a flight attendant in Executive Decision. I think her beauty covers up any blemishes with me. Lol
Flag
This was actually pretty good. It is actually much better than UTD quality wise. I have faith in this series. An A lister like Berry wouldnt have picked this project if it was not great.
Flag
But "better than UTD" isn't exactly a high bar to clear.
Flag
I said that because people kept comparing it to UTD since both of them are/were miniseries from CBS. Have some faith. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised. I just have a feeling with this. That it will not turn to shit and stupidity after a couple episodes. It'll atleast be decent when it ends it's season/series.
Flag
Just... bad.
If I was alone in a space station and someone randomly showed up there outside of the normal course of action(like taking a space ship on over), it wouldn't matter who's face they were wearing, I wouldn't be opening that hatch for jack sht. If you're a seasoned astronaut, odds are you're pretty grounded in the physical world, and not expecting ... angel visits in space? Who the hell opens that hatch? Alien pregnancy? Come on, lame lame lame.
Also, once she gets back, physical shows she's pregnant and she asks doc for 'time to figure things out'? and gets it?....Um no, not in reality. She'ld be like oh fuck, theres an alien inside of me, get it out, and/or doc would report to the superiors right quick, you don't hold something like that back, how fcking ridiculous. Yet another example of stupidity holding plot points together, and fast becoming the most contemptuious act in television, and I'm over it.

Sci-fi is a great concept, favorite kind of television when done well, but the sad fact is it's not usually done well. A good sci-fi requires the writer have a good sci-fi background AND a good people background, and usually one of the two is missing. In this case, show writer probably has little of either, just watched a lot of Lost and Warehouse 13, and cooked something up.
Sad.
More+
Flag
I find the show quite enjoyable as well. I'm in for the ride knowing there isn't much on TV right now.
Flag

Quite enjoyable. Yes, it does remain to be seen how the story will unfold over the remaining twelve episodes, and whether or not CBS will attempt to renew it - but we shouldn't really be basing the premiere of the series around these notion, just appreciating it for what it is, and at the moment, I'm very intrigued.

There are a plethora of questions/ mysteries (Molly's pregnancy, the true nature of the apparition she had on the space station and what actually happened, her colleague's fake suicide and what happened to him in space, ISEA's true intentions, and Ethan's questionable behaviour) to keep me entertained, and no doubt each of these will provide further twists as they unfold/ develop.

While the notion of robots become humanised (and their possible revolt) isn't a new idea, like I said, we're yet to see where Extant can and will take this storyline, so it's too soon to be saying it's cliché in my opinion.

Some little quibbles I had was that the acting wasn't all that great (that scene where Molly and John were fighting should really give viewers some emotions, but it just bored me), in a lot of the scenes the music was overdramatic for no reason (like with Ethan and the bird), and at times I felt that some of the scenes could have been cut a little shorter (or all together) as the episode had a fair amount of exposition that I personally would have preferred to figure out myself over being explicitly told/ shown.

At the risk of sounding like a hypocrite and judging the series before it's had a chance to prove itself, I am very worried about the characters and whether or not they'll be developed or remain two-dimensional. There’s nothing much to Molly and John at this stage, but the materials there, so here’s hoping at the very least they can grow. I’m more concerned about whether or not the series will be able to find a purpose for Molly’s doctor and friend, her psychologist, the ISEA director(s), John colleague etc. It very easy to see Extant ignoring character development in favour of a fast-moving plot, but I hope that doesn’t become the case.

More+
Flag
I watched it for Halle Berry, I dunno if she's a good actor cause I get distracted whenever she's on screen. It's been that way ever since some movie a coupla decades back when she played the 'ugly duckling' the leading man ignored while he chased after some flibbertigibbet who gave him the run around. I'm like "dude go and get a new eye prescription - insane beauty is walking right under yer nose and you're worrying about some tired old slapper who's been round the block more times than Ryan Hall?"

Therefore regardless of plot - which it has to be admitted, is thus far lamer than Joey the Gimp, I plan on watching the entire season - unless of course the charming and irascible pregnant astronaut gets ned starked as they call it in the 'new paradigm TV' trade.

I dunno who the bloke in the driveway is but he better keep his slimy mitts off Halle or he'll end up like that other fella, Halle's former boyfriend. He, who we have been told, tragically died long before he managed to impregnate Halle aka the astronautess,

So the plot brings nothing new to the table, so all the characters we're meant to care about behave exactly the same as a zillion other characters in a million other network TV shows - so what?

Halle Berry is in it.
More+
Flag
I had that thought too- Hally's jealous husband was behind previous boyfriend's early demise. (Assuming that is your thought)
Flag
Yeah well, nearly It may be the husband or (large dollop of lolz) it may be me from many thousands of miles away, but Halle is a woman whose natural charms may encourage some blokes to resent her attention being diverted away from themselves.

Except I got the feeling from the way the 'old boyfriend' was talking that he was very new to this 'speaking in english'bizzo - that his interest in the astronaut was more about imperial conquest than sexual conquest.
Somehow a race of 'intelligent beings' have developed a method for being seen as the person their 'target' cares most for instead of slimy aliens who are all teeth and dripping gastric juices.

IGWS the inscrutable Dr Hatake knows far more about all of this than he is letting on - or will let on before the penultimate episode.

Note to TV scriptwriters - don't you think this business of portraying all east asian blokes in positions of power as inscrutable is clichéd - pretty much to the point of being racist?
Flag
Boring. Totally boring. Helix with the same asian guy (btw his name ist Hiroyuki Sanada) was way better. cause it was really trashy!
Maybe Extant should use some elevator music. xD
Flag
People seem to be even bigger A-holes in the future but I think I'll have to keep watching.
So you can't have a child, so build one that is programmed to make "connections" and learn the way a real child might, no problem there! So eventually you may have a 500 year old artificial intelligence in robot child body, programmed with human flaws as well; such as selfishness, clumsiness, forgetfulness I suppose and who knows what selective morality, but on the plus side you get to remain friends with other couples with kids and get to wear Dad cardigans and make model toys.
In todays world if you have no people skills rather than learn or change yourself you can get the unconditional love from a pet you feed and own. I always hoped for a future where animals developed intelligence and perhaps someone came home to find their dog or cat packing a suitcase "It's not you, it's me." before walking out and selecting new owners to live with.
So the private sector running the space program seems to be running just fine, you know except for the little things like keeping count of how many astronauts they've got and what goes on during their space missions, maybe they should have hidden cameras on the space station instead of the psychologists office to find the truth. Well Halle is an Oscar winning actress but she didn't have to act out making love with an invisible man for the audience which could of got awkward. I do look forward to a team up of robots, alien babies and their mothers overthrowing and destroying their human overlords as we've had a pretty good run for species.

More+
Flag
I want that kid toys, the spaceship and space station were cool.

I thought this program as really good, and I like the look of the universe they have created.

Presuming that the psychologists aren't the only room monitored by secret spy cameras, the corporation she work for already knows she pregnant.
Flag
It looked like the Lego of the future to me.
Flag
Gotta admit... Is the kid a robot serial killer?
Flag
I watch it for Halle Berry, she's a really good actress. And sure, because I love SF.
Despite unoriginal scenario (for now), this is well done and the acting is good. Who knows, it could turn to be a good serie, with the baby mind controling his host. When born, it's gonna be a plant-person. Molly will have to water it and put it on the the window sill for it to receive lots of sun. And the plant-person is gonna communicate with some friends in the universe, by dark matter.
*The truth is out there* The dude in the driveway = conspiracy. Next episode, we'll see the smoking man... with an electronic cigarette.
Flag
The kid creeps me out. The way he went from looking at the bird to saying I love you was just too creep for me. I mean what child does that looks at a dead bird and then explains he didn't kill it and then says I love you, child serial killers that's who.
Flag
Your front cover picture of Berry looks like she's either seriously getting down to some soul music or having a bad hair day.
Flag
It was OK. I only like the flashback scenes in space.
Flag
Good to see Dr. Hatake still acts creepy even when he's not hanging out in the Arctic, flashing some silver eyes
Flag
yeah, it was like "good to see you again. Are you fine?"
Flag
How's the Scythe and I hear your daughter's doing well in the Illaria business?
Flag
Exactly and when you come out of your cryo/regen/cloning/stasis chamber/pod/whatever I like to have a well lit table with a well partitioned mix of miniature portioned favorite foods like a spoonful of this or tooth picked that. I like to start my meetings by stroking my cherry blossom tree before serving tea and finish by reducing personal space and close talking. :-)
Flag
What i want to know is where or what they brought Asian dude back from? Was he sleep, preserved? What was that all about? Otherwise, love the show so far.
Flag
I thought he was teleported from Japan to America via that thingy. Think Terminator.
Flag
Immortality through cloning + mind transfer, is my guess.
They are throwing in a lot of Sci-Fi concepts here.
Flag
I think it's a good start. While the concept has been done, at the same time, I'm still interested in where this goes; not only with the alien baby, but with her former colleague. Not only does he know about the mission, he also may have experienced similar hallucinations.

I'll also admit the android son angle also intrigues me. John is vehemently in favor of not treating him as a robot, but as a human. Not sure if his argument convinced me fully, but it was still interesting to hear.

So I'll definitely stick with this series for a while and see where it goes.
Flag
Worst memorial picture EVER!!!:

I don't know why, but I think this image is better suited to an ad for a constipation remedy
Flag
To me, glamour photo = dude's not dead (not sure why). So as soon as he turned up in the driveway, I was like "called it!"
Flag
Except that he might be another hallucination.
Flag
I'll wait to the second episode then I'll watch both .because it may give me a better idea of what to expect.
Flag
The Asian guy runs a giant research center in the Arctic and is secretly an immortal.
Flag
use to run it, he blew it up, got bored and now runs a space agency.
Flag
Staff
HATAKE!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members