Extra

February 3, 2014

Aired Weekdays 7:30 PM Feb 03, 2014 on NBC

• Disappointing Debrief

How sad that, out of all of the mayhem, including pop culture icons who got refused entrance to post-Superbowl parties because (among other things) they insulted former Presidents while urinating into a bucket (now that is truly classy) and can't seem to handle the infamy they seem so anxious to enjoy, you forgot to mention the wonderful job that Renee Fleming did in bringing a traditional dignity back to the National Anthem. Of all the things you did mention, to gloss right over that and mention practically everything else was unforgivably shallow, even for this show, and I do clearly recognize its social function. I don't often log on to comment on anything of this nature, and while I am not a huge fan of opera, it was refreshing not to hear the anthem over-vocalized, degraded, and used as a means of shameless self-promotion. No, it was more important to see your hosts running around in their underwear/dropping into a dunk tank, an exploited child star rebuffed for the inability to remain sober or fulfill a contract obligation, or a misguided teenager with a hugely inflated sense of self-importance in the process of flipping off the police. Way to go, Extra. As a teacher of sociology, I ask myself over and over about the role of the purveyor of culture--what should it be? Do those entrusted with the responsibility of proliferation of culture to the masses bear a higher responsibility than the masses who eagerly swallow the wormy mess regurgitated at them? What constitutes good and bad culture? Do all elements deserve equal treatment, regardless of what we personally think of them? I would say yes, partly to stimulate social change and, hopefully, to facilitate positive result. One positive result could have been further exposure of the American people to one of the most talented singers of her genre in several decades, but we got to see Kelly Ripa without makeup instead. Wow. I'm so much better as a person for having witnessed a frame or two of that. Thank you, Extra--the entire post-Superbowl experience just wouldn't have been the same without that comprehensive report. In a sense, you did your job. You certainly reported on everything the average SuperBowl viewer would want to see. On that account, can't fault you. But thank you also to the Superbowl committee who had the wherewithal to invite her to sing in the first place.