Extras

Episode 1: Orlando Bloom

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Sep 14, 2006 on BBC Two

• Another wonderful installment. How I miss this show..

There are a couple of reasons why this episode, in my opinion, is highly regarded as one of the best in the series. I seem to be able ('able' is not the appropriate term) to decipher what episodes people prefer because of the 'Star' in the episode, not based on any of the writing and/or material. And that is fine, because this show never fails to entertain. Orlando Bloom does do an excellent job in this episode. Cheers to him on that. His belittling of Johnny Depp is hysterical, and seeing him as a narcissistic junkie is wonderful. Andy has finally met the day when his show, 'When the Whistle Blows' is going to premiere. After many reflections on what he truly wants out of life, as being an artist, he knows that the script for the show (and, for that matter, the entire show) is not the show he intended to make, and is having serious questions about whether or not he should proceed. After a marvelous scene with Shaun Williamson ('Barry'), in which Barry tells Andy about what had happened to him when he was involved with his popular show, Andy proclaims that 'he cannot do this.' He points out Barry as his example of a man who 'stuck to his wits,' a man of character and integrity. At this very scene, Andy pats Shaun on the back and, out of his jacket, all of the complimentary food for the cast & crew of the show spills out. Andy gives into the ultimatum given to him by Iain, and allows the show to 'go on.' I adore this show. Everything about it. This is another spectacular episode. I adore them all - with one exception - the Ben Stiller episode. But that is just because HE is in it. The writing and acting by our main characters, Andy (Ricky), Darren (Stephen) and Maggie (Ashley) are always in the most magnificent form.
HBOCE