Extras

BBC Two (ended 2007)

Extras Fan Reviews (52)

• I cant stop laughing..

Like most people, I loved the Office, and Ricky Gervais has done it again with Extras. This hilarious comedy is just what i want to watch after a long hard day. The characters all have their own unique personalilties and react in different ways to certain situations. The jokes and storylines and well written, with lots of suprises added in. Given a few more seasons this could rival The Office.
  • God Bless Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

This show is absolutely fabulous. I was very sad to see it end after only two 6 episode seasons, but, just as they had done with 'The Office' (British Version), Rickey Gervais and Stephen Merchant decided to follow the very successful pattern from that show.

This delightful series showcases the lives of Extras 'Andy Millman' and 'Maggie Jacobs' and features wonderful appearances by various celebrities in each episode. Stephen Merchant portrays Andy's dim-witted agent, Darren, and does so fabulously. He steals every scene he is in. Some scenes of this show will have you literally falling out of your chair with uproarious laughter. A wonderful show.
  • I couldn't really find a suitable classification for this show - so I just rated it as "Absolutely Fabulous" - which is quite right!

Extras, I think, is better than Ricky Gervias' previous creation, The Office. The show doesn't need to have an audience laughing at it to make it funny. The jokes can be obvious, and can be sophisticated. Either way, anyone can get amusmant out of the show.

I'm not surprised that major stars are lining up to go on this show. Ben Stiller, Kate Winslet, Samuel L Jackson and the second series' stars (which I don't know at present - the series will air in a couple of weeks) are massively huge names and I guess Ricky must be, for them to want to star in a British comedy.

I don't know what else to say. Looking back, my reviews always seem terrible, and I'm sure this one is too, but the show can be summed up as absolutely fabulous!
  • The funniest comedy I have ever watched.

The funniest comedy I have ever watched.The funniest comedy I have ever watched.The funniest comedy I have ever watched.The funniest comedy I have ever watched.The funniest comedy I have ever watched.The funniest comedy I have ever watched.The funniest comedy I have ever watched.The funniest comedy I have ever watched.The funniest comedy I have ever watched.The funniest comedy I have ever watched.The funniest comedy I have ever watched.The funniest comedy I have ever watched.The funniest comedy I have ever watched.The funniest comedy I have ever watched.The funniest comedy I have ever watched.The funniest comedy I have ever watched.The funniest comedy I have ever watched.
  • Extras

This show has to be the best comedy I seen in years since The Office which is made by the same people who did this show. This show is brilliant to watch every now and again whenever it is on. I am not a fan of Ricky Gervais but this show is awesome.
  • Irresistible, charming, clever, funny

Of course you want a new "Office" when you start watching "Extras" and if you completely base your judgement on that expectation, it is easy to critizise it. But it isn't "The Office" and honestly, I'm happy it isn't. Not because I didn't like "The Office", because this is the greatest show in the history of television, but because it would be stupid to repeat the concept.

No, what Merchant and Gervais achieved here is simply amazing. They made another show which is as perfect as "The Office" without having any resemblance to it. Well, there are similarities, like playing with political correctness, but overall it's something new and innovative.

Sometimes it feels like a warmer "Black Adder". The way Gervais' character reacts to the stupidity around him without anyone noticing his sarcasm reminds me somehow of Atkinson's greatest moments.

The important difference from the characters Black Adder and David Brent is that Andy and Maggie are people we really like. Andy is cynical and Maggie not always clever, but they have a heart. They're good people and that's why we like them. And because we like them, we can laugh even more, because we understand them. And they like each other, which makes the character constellation even more attractive. Andy is laughing about Maggie from time to time, but he also helps her. He is never really mean to her, nor to anyone else.

It's just so great to see them get into uncomfortable situations because it says so much about our "awareness" of delicate topics. And Stephen Merchant as the agent is simply brilliant.

The show makes me laugh out loud and care for the characters. In that respect, it resembles "The Office" and that's why I simply admire Merchant and Gervais for their work. They combine humor and sadness like no one else and they go all the way. May their be no end to their innovative abilities.
  • Extras brings awkward silence into the forefront. This show makes all those uncomfortable pauses in life worth watching, especially when it’s not you. It’s simply genius.

Extras brings awkward silence into the forefront. This show makes all those uncomfortable pauses in life worth watching, especially when it’s not you. It’s simply genius. Ricky Gervais and Stephan Merchant give us another show where the jokes and punch lines are not the main attraction. This time around, it is put into the life of an aging actor who can only get extra work in the background of movies. And whose inept agent is partly to blame. Through out his work, he comes across real actors with total opposite personas that they portray on screen. These interactions are just a tiny fraction of the comedy that makes each episode. Everything else is Gervais' character getting into situations where he makes the viewer just so awkward to the point where it is too uncomfortable to watch. But don't do that or you'll miss the whole thing.
  • I think it's great, real excrutiating in some bits, but great

I was a staunch fan of the office. I didn't even see the series on TV, we had to rent it out on DVD, but that didn't spoil it.
    I just through it was superb. Just as good, if not better thatn the office and riddled with those really painful bits that just make you wanne stand up from where you're sitting and say: "um...just gotta pop to the toilet" or some other excuse.
    Man, I really liked the final episode of season one, it was great. Very reminiscent of the office, almost like they were made to be viewed in sequence.
  • Hillarious! This is the best comedy I've seen in a long time. It could only come from the same network that aired Sex and the City.

This is the greatest comedy to date. BBC and HBO are the only people who could air a show like this. Who cares about the actors when you can watch the life of the extras. Ben Stiller is funny is Episode 2. It's all about talking smart. And Samuel L. Jackson in Episode 4 was fantastic as well. It only gets better with every new episode.
  • This has been one hell of a show even if its seems to have been used to attack the fantastic Catherine Tate at every chance!

Its a bit of a cliche to Praise Gervais nowadays, but then I wont be delibertaly critical, this is an excellent show which has been suprisingly original and a plasure to watch.

Its probably to Rickys dismay (unless deliberatly done) That this show often ended up doing comedy he apparantly hated - slap-stick camp frothy nonsense. Nevertheless these parts such a kneeing a dwarf, were some of the most memorable moments.

The regular cast of Maggie Darren and Barry we all very well cast. It was about time Merchant got in on the action! His charecter Darren of course was the shows funny man and besides the weekly celebs is the highlight of the show. Merchant I'm not convinced is more funny than Gervais!

Like with the office this show ended waaaaaaay before it got boring - in the long run, a good thing. But as a fan you cant help but want more. This is refreshing in terms of British comedy, and life saving in terms of American Comedy.

An absolute much watch. However the pilot episode (if new to the show) you should probably come back to later. It was OK, but didnt leave me with any enthusiam to tune in next week. Its good job I did because with a 9.8 score, this is amoungst my best viewing.
  • Just started watching...

I bought series 1 & 2 together for a nice price, brand spanking new, and I love this show!!!
    I only just started watching it, and all the little jokes are pure gold, and this series merely backs up my views on the man-Ricky Gervais and his pure genius work, and humour.
    He also did The Office and that was brilliant, but this show just adapts on The Office and completely takes it to another level by the jokes (that perhaps The Office did in small doses) and behavior of the characters.
    Insane show!!
    The way the characters Andy and Maggie constantly say the wrong things to other people in the show is absolutely hilarious and it seems that most, if not all of the episodes have a scene where Andy or Maggie land themselves in an embarrassing situation with other characters and it just all goes wrong, with either racist attitudes or jokes-not on purpose, or other delicate issues.
    This is fabulous and if you haven't seen it, watch it, buy it or whatever!
    If you've seen it and don't own it, seriously, just go out there and purchase it, its awesome.

Well done to Ricky Gervais for another superb comedy show.

See this!
  • Ricky Gervais back to what he does best, awkward situation comedies.

The adventures of Andy, a struggling actor who is having trouble finding anything but Extras work. Celebrity cameos each episode, Patrick Stewart, Ben Stiller, Kate Winslet most notibly. With awkward moments that could rival the original Office, it is an extremely well written comedy with many memorable moments. For me though, what makes this show is Andy's agent Darren Lamb, played by Gervais' off sider Stephen Merchant, the banter between him and his only other client 'Barry from Eastenders' is priceless. The scene in Lamb's office where he has the pen with the naked lady is priceless.
    The way in which Gervais manages to get these celebrities to send themselves up makes this show unique, and great chemistry between the regulars, makes it a great pity that this gem only has 12 episodes.
  • The show follows Andy Millman (Ricky Gervais) as he struggles as an extra looking for his very own big break.

This is by far absolutly one of the funniest shows ever, but I mean do you know those moments when you just want the world to swollow you whole. Im talkin about such cringe worthy situations you just wanna die, so embarassing. Embarassing obviously means funny. You can pick plenty of these moments from every episode. I never laughed as much as when I watch this show and I love it just for that simple fact. I also like the way that each episode will have a celebrity in it. Andy will be working on a set with some one for example Kate Winslet, and these stars have no problem making themselves look like complete idiots. Extras is lol funny.
  • only just discovered....

Extras - i have heard all about it but never really got around to watching it. One night (a while ago) i watched clips of the Orlando Bloom episode and decided to give it a go. I then watched Daniel Radcliffe's episode and still didn't really enjoy it.

Then a few weeks ago i bought the first series for oly £4 and decided to try again. I love it!!! The first episode, featuring Ross Kemp, was hilarious. It follows film extras Andy and his friend Maggie. They bump in to lots of celebrities, trying to get bigger parts in the film.

My favourite episode of series one was definatly Kate Winslet's episode, i will never look at her in the same way again!!

I love this and would recommend it to anyone!!!
  • Just thinking this show makes me laugh and cringe.

Very few shows make the awkward and uncomfortable so hilarious. But, in his quest for super-stardom, extra actor Andy Millman continuously finds a way to rip failure from the jaws of success. The series follows Andy Millman (Ricky Gervais) through his mediocre extra roles in big name movies to the edge of success. Aside from the hilarious mis-steps (made all the more funny and cringe inducing by the fact that they are grounded in the everyday slip ups we all make -- although taken to an extreme), Gervais provides a relatable and poignant relationship between Millman and his fellow extra Maggie. IMO, the show is really about their friendship. The series finale offers a toughing monument to friends in general when measured against ambition and career success. Admirably, many big name actors (Kate Winslet, Ian McKellan, Patrick Stewart to name a few) were willing to make guest appearances as themselves with less than flattering personalities. Simply one of the funniest shows around.
  • Andy Milman is trying to break into showbiz but cant get any further than being an extra where the main perk is meeting A-listers

very good ive only seen the first kate winslet episode in the states im a hugggeee office fan this had some big shoes to fill, it was very funny not quite as many laugh out loud moments as office but definetly worth watching. can\'t wait for the ben stiller episode :)
  • Great show getting better.

As a huge fan of The Office I couldn't wait to see Extras, but seeing the first show I was a little disappointed to say the least. But after having now seen the first five episodes, I can say that this is a show that needs time to grow on you. By the third episode, once I was familiar with all the characters and how they relate to each other, I really started enjoying the show a lot more, and seeing Ricky being himself is very funny to watch. I'll have to go back and see the first few episodes again, and I'm sure they'll be a lot funnier second time around as I don't have to think too much about what is going on. But overall, I think any Ricky Gervais or The Office fan should also enjoy this show, almost as much.
  • Extras is a hilarious comedy written by and stars Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant who both wrote “The Office”.

Extras is about Andy Millman, (Ricky Gervais) a failing actor who can only get bit-parts thanks to his useless agent (Stephen Merchant) who also represents “Barry” from Eastenders (Shaun Williamson).
    Each episode sees Andy trying to get a mere line and friend Maggie (Ashely Jenson) trying to attract male attention from any of the cast or crew.

Each episode features guest appearances from many famous faces playing themselves.

Episode One stars a heartless and big headed Ben Stiller who is directing a Russian war movie based on a true story.

Episode Two stars a cocky Ross Kemp who gets put in his place by hard-man Vinny Jones.

Episode Three is about a holocaust movie in which an Oscar seeking Kate Winslet is the leading role.

In Episode Four Andy plays a genie along side an on the up Les Dennis in a pantomime.

Samual L Jackson is the guest in the penultimate episode.

And Patrick Stewart gives Andy a helping hand in the final episode.

It has been promised that there will be a second series next year.

RUMOURS SUGGEST!!!!
    Madonna and Ant and Dec may make an appearance.
  • Not an instant classice but it's still too early to tell.

I just watched the first show and i knew before that if i watched it expecting it to be as good as The Office, i wouldn't like it. So i took a lighter approach and i liked it a lot. It's not what i would call an instant classice but i think it has a lot of potential. So i am looking forward to what this show will later pull out.
    I think the whole is idea is a very original one and i will definately continue to watch it. So if your a big fan of The Office then you shouldn't watch this show thinking it will definatley be as good, but if your a Ricky Gervais fan, you'll love it!
  • An intrersting show with lots of potential

I was not a fan of the office but when i saw adverts for extras on tv i thought i\'ll have a look. I liked politics and animals and loved him in Alias. So i thoguht i would give it a chance. I sat down to watch it thinking i would go off it but i stuck to it and thoguht it was decent. It will deffinatly be on reminder on sky. I hope people dont just judge it from the first episode as i believe it will get better as time goes along. Besides i also want to see the episode with Samuel L Jackson in. Give it a chance, you may be surprised.
  • best thing to come out of Britian since the Beatles...

So I started watching this show after the second season had officially ended. Thank goodness for TV on DVD. The reason that I checked it out was due to seeing Ashley Jensen in Ugly Betty. I went looking to see what else she was in and found this. I am a fan of Brit comedy (AbFab is a fav) so I was looking forward to this. I found the show mostly hilarious. The one draw back I think is that there are a few of the stars of the show that I am unfamiliar with being American and I am sure that I am missing some inside jokes about them. But all in all a good show – too bad it only lasted two seasons.
  • Another quality comedy from Ricky Gervais and Steven Merchant. The show easily meets the expectations of even the most die hard 'Office' fans.

After the phenomenal success of 'The Office' in both the UK and the US it was always going to a difficult undertaking for Ricky and Steven to produce a new comedy series moving away from the giant shadow 'The Office'

Myself, like many others I'm sure were pretty excited but apprehensive when news that the new series 'Extra's' was in the pipeline came about. This was mainly due to the overwhelming respect I have for 'The Office' and couldn't see how any new series would compare to the genius that is, 'The Office'

When the first episode was released on TV I had no idea what to expect and I watched with such intensity, deeply hoping that I wasn't going to be let down. But it soon became apparent that there was nothing to worry about, as this show was already shaping up to be a classic.

The show is based round the central character of Andy Millman (Gervais) and his life as an 'extra' to films and television productions, his interactions with the stars, his desperate attempts to get speaking parts, or just the odd line and his relationship with his friend Maggie and his useless agent (Merchant).

What Ricky and Steven have done so well with this series is to use Celebrities in situations the we may be accustomed to, but show a side to their personalities that is completely unexpected. Major credit is given to the celebrities for being seriously good sports and really playing on the type of persona that they are portrayed to have in the media.

'Extra's' can be watched over and over again, improving with every watch, much like 'The Office', and I personally can not wait for the second series.

Congratulations to Ricky and Steven for another first class British comedy to be proud of.
  • All things come...

Such a nice breath of fresh air. The show takes the best parts of what I like about the office and, also, has this Black Adder sensibility, too. As long as it doesn't rest heavily on celebrity cameos and stays with the characters, the extras, if you will, this show will keep me hookd.
  • One of the best UK sitcoms Iv'e seen.

I never watched The Office,but I have seen Gervais's 'Animals' stand up show,it was both hilarious and very gross.Extras isn't all that rude and is only occasionally rude.Season 1 certainly had it's momements,but it wasn't one of the best British sitcoms I'd seen.
    But Season 2 nearly set me to the ground.I guess it's because Andy has started up his own sitcom with the BBC,the incredibly unfunny 'When The Whistle Blows'.His reputation is at an all time low,not just because of the TV critics but also he's always screwing things up in front of the press,public and celebrities.
    It makes you cringe sometimes when he makes an arse of himself,yet is the main reason why this show is so damn funny.Keep the good work up Ricky Gervais.
  • Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant undertake the very hard job of following the massive success of The Office with another half hour comedy. Luckily for them, and even more so for us, they more than succeed. Though it still doesn't match the Office for qu

The Office is a phenomenon. A classic comedy that is both original and accessible. It had grown to a such a huge status that even Gervais was getting a bit sick of people asking him to 'do the dance'. It's highly regarded both in the UK and the US and was wisely restricted to 2 series and a special by Gervais and Merchant.

Then they had to follow it up with something new.

Everyone was expecting something great and what they have delivered is maybe a bit less accessible due to reduced number of characters but is most definately approaching the quality of their debut show.
    The main draw for most will be the celeb names but there's far more to offer.
    The cameos by celebs such as Patrick Stewart, Ben Stiller, Sam Jackson and, er, Barry from Eastenders are gleefully warped(especially Les Dennis) and certainly add a lot but the two leads are the main focus.

Gervais has wisely directed his character Andy away from the infamous David Brent making him more intelligent, witty and less naive but still giving him the ability to put his foot right in it!

New-comer Ashley Jensen is endearing as his best friend 'extra' Maggie bringing a certain clumsy innocence to the role.

Merchant is also fun as Andy's slimy agent.

The plots aren't generally about anything in particular and often revolve around things like unintentionally being racist, trying to keep a depressed Les Dennis company or just generally hanging around the set of their current production. It rings a bit like Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm in that respect.

In the end, this is a superb show and well worth a look, especially if you're a fan of The Office.

Great stuff, roll on series 2!
  • I liked Extras

I like Extras but I think that it isnt as good as The Office, this show is still good but the office is much funnier. Loved the guest stars in this show even Robert De Niro popped up in a episode. my favourites are Kate Winslet, Orlando Bloom and Ben Stiller. Series one was a bit better than the first and Gervias's character was no David Brent. Merchant and Barry from Eastenders where always great when on screen. Didnt enjoy the final episode it had its moments but was nothing speacil compared to the offices finale. Great show all in all.
  • Great guest stars, uncomfortable moments and sharp wit

Many memorable moments from this series. I loved Sir Ian McKellen, Orlando Bloom and Daniel Radcliffe's appearances. The core cast and guests do an excellent job of presenting the well written comedy of Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. I don't think anyone can give "blank, clueless" face like Ashley Jensen can. It's great to see guest stars playing a skewed version of themselves. I was pleasantly surprised with the finale - I did not expect that ending. Gervais and Merchant manage to present tight, funny, ironic, and sometimes touching situations in which we may have found ourselves in. I liked this better than their "Office".
  • Another good show from Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

Recently there are not as many great comedies on TV anymore, most have finished up but there are still a few such as Scrubs and luckily Extras is one of the good ones.

To compare Extras to The Office would be unfair although it's hard not to simply because of the writers. The Office set the bar so high it's one of the funniest, best written shows around and the casting was prefect, Extras continues that.

I'm glad to see that they don't use the same jokes that they used in The Office and the show as a whole doesn't feel like The Office. Ricky Gervais and Ashley Jensen are great together as Andy and Maggie and Stephen Merchant as the Agent is hilarious and with a good list of guest start I think the show will continue to be good, in the first season the Kate Winslet and Patrick Stewart episodes were great.

I look forward to season two though I'm sure the DVD will be out before it airs on Australian TV.
  • funny as never before or should i say comedy...

this was a first for the BBC a good comedy!!! this was sooo funny in the first series and i enjoyed the characters and the awful problem of only being a extra in movies or documentarys
    Really rather pitied them actually lol

Series 2 looks and is going strengh to strengh and am loving it, there are really good actors playing roles and that makes it even bette. Maggie is my favorite character and she makeing more and more titles lately

Ricky is in his element in this show and i laughed my head off when Richys friend in reality joins the crew! loved it...xxx
  • About 2 Friends called Andy and Maggie that work as actors

This is so funny. Season one was great. I think Ricky is such a good actor, he makes it so cringy to watch. But it makes it hilarious. Its a great idea about the extras meeting new people such as ross kemp, ben stiller, etc... and hes done well to get such famous people in his show. But it gets even better.... in season 2. Andy gets HIRED BY The BBC to do a new show called 'When the whistle blows' which is a truly pathetic show that the whole nation hate. He gets laughed at in the streets, made fun of by the newspapers and has a few creepy fans. He has a rubbish agent that just makes things worse for him. The funniest parts of extras is when David bowie plays a song in a bar that goes "pathetic little loser" and "He's the little fat man with the pug-nose face...PUG PUG PUG PUG!" which was about andy, and had everyone in the bar singing, even his own agent lol. But the most funny one is the last one of season 2, this is hilarious. barry, a former actor from eastenders and andy's agent own a pen, with a naked lady on it, and andy walked into them COUGH COUGH -ing over the pen. It was one of the funniest things ive ever seen!
< 1 2