Extras

BBC Two (ended 2007)

Extras Fan Reviews (52)

• Extras was a waste of time it ws the worst show ever, Why did he make this show he is a terrible writer.

Extras was a waste of time it ws the worst show ever, Why did he make this show he is a terrible writer. Probably he wrote this show so people would not like him I do think he is the worst writer in england even the office was boring please please please make it stop ricky I beg with you to make this waste of time stopif you do make it stop I will give you millions of pounds please please please make it stop ok. This show is on bbc2 the only good show on bbc2 is the catherine tate show.
  • Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

3.8
    "Sky called."
    "And?"
    "They said they can put your dish up Thursday."

Ha ha. So funny I'm not laughing. Extras is frankly - comedy without the comedy. If you like, well, good for you, but I hate it. I like comedy that makes me laugh, not comedy that bores me into reaching for the TV Guide to read. I usually laugh around once or less an episode. Not my show...at all.
  • A slow "comedy" that doesnt seem to attempt to make anyone laugh.

I turned the TV on with high hopes of seeing a new comedy from the creators of the office that would be witty, real and at the same time hilarious.

Instead i was faced with a boring television show that isnt sure what it is itself. I just hope the next television show that the creators think of is funnier.
  • A BIG let down

1.9
    When i herd about Extras i was looking frowd to see it. Ok i did not like the office but this was gone to diffen but it just not funny i don't get as Andy said "I don't like it". Man it the big let down erve it just not funny one bit.
  • Not so bad...

6.6
    First of all, I loved "The Office", and I loved Ricky Gervais IN The Office. But this... Not nearly as funny.

It centers around Ricky's character and another 30-something blonde bimbo who seems to sleep with every man she comes into contact with (except Ricky). Basically the show centers around cringe-worthy scenarios that these 2 characters get themselves into.

Thing is, it should be funny, but it just isn't. There's just too much negativity coming from these 2 characters that you end up either feeling sorry for them or just disgusted. It raises a chuckle here and there, don't get me wrong. Ricky only seems to be able to play one character (Himself), but this is ultimately just a sadder, more cynical David Brent.

The reason "The Office" worked so well was because it was always on the brink of descending into the "taboo" area, but cleverly it never quite did. In Extras it descends rig-th into this territory from the get-go. Im just fed up hearing Ricky's monotonous voice.
  • English humour is in some ways very different to good'ol American humour and while "The Office" was creative enough to be highly succesfull over in the States I feel that "Extras" isn't really universal enough to appeal to an international audience.

6.8
    English humour is in some ways very different to good'ol American humour and while "The Office" was creative enough to be highly succesfull over in the States I feel that "Extras" isn't really universal enough to appeal to an international audience. The series follows the cringe-worthy antics of Andy Millman, a middle-aged overweight would-be actor who has been playing in films as an extra for the last 20 years while still hoping to get his first line of dialog!

Unfortunately what starts out as a good idea turns out to be very uneven from episode to episode. Let me explain - each episode has several cameos from a well-known actor and a lot of the jokes are based around how Millman tries unsuccesfully interact with them. The episodes themselves can therefore be extremely funny( Ben Stiller, Patrick Stuart, Kate Winslet) to rather boring and drawn-out (S.L. Jackson, Vinnie Jones).

I think that this is one of those shows that will only finf a rather small select audience in the states, but fans of "The Office" or some of the other older british comedy ("Black Adder", "Brittas Empire"). Might find something here.
  • It has no story line at all to be funny

5.3
    It's okay I guess but really hard to understand what the hell is going on or why they choose some of the people on it.

But even I must admit it is really funny although quite sick some times

I have only seen about 2 episodes though.... tell me if you agree with me or not
  • I don't care what anyone says, this show is much better than The Office

This show has suffered in terms of public opinion due to the fact that everyone is constatnly thinking about Ricky Gervais' last sucessful show (The Office). In my veiw this show is far better than The Office for the following reasons:

1) The main character, Andy Millman, is more human than Brent. Brent was funny, but he was more of a portrayal of what we all hate about our bosses in the workplace, whereas we feel a bit more connected with Andy. He cares for his friends, he admits his mistakes, and has a strong opinon on everthing.

2) The character of Maggie is also wonderfull. The way the actor portrays her combination of childish innocence and utter stupidity is just funny on it's own

3) You can never guess where the show's going to go. One week they are on location with an enraged Ben Stiller, the next week we are in a studio with over-active 'hard man' Ross Kemp. The guest stars do great performences by playing twisted versions of themselves (Kate Winslet was one of the best)

4) It still that special brand of humour which was in the Office that makes you both laugh and cringe with embarassment at the same time.

And that's why I prefer Extras to The Office
  • Extras is very good, but its not without its flaws. Overall though, Gervais is a genius and Extras has some genuine laugh out loud moments.

There are a number of things I don't like about Extras. It remains one of my favourite comedy shows, but it does have some things that I'm not so keen on.

For me, the really cringworthy moments are a little too much. I am aware that a lot of people think these are the best bits in Extras. But I have always found this sort of comedy quite hard to watch, I'd level the same critisim at The Office too. Which despite being comedy gold, did sometimes step over the line a little.

Still, overall Extras is so great that despite some cringing I find myself roaring with laughter at some bits. Some of the Les Dennis moments in episode 4 are just hillarious. Particularly "I'm getting excited just thinking about it" made me cry with laughter.

In all, Extras is a fantastic show. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes Larry Sanders, Arrested Development and of course, The Office.

One last thing, anyone who tells you that Andy Millman is just the same as David Brent is wrong!
  • God Bless Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

This show is absolutely fabulous. I was very sad to see it end after only two 6 episode seasons, but, just as they had done with 'The Office' (British Version), Rickey Gervais and Stephen Merchant decided to follow the very successful pattern from that show.

This delightful series showcases the lives of Extras 'Andy Millman' and 'Maggie Jacobs' and features wonderful appearances by various celebrities in each episode. Stephen Merchant portrays Andy's dim-witted agent, Darren, and does so fabulously. He steals every scene he is in. Some scenes of this show will have you literally falling out of your chair with uproarious laughter. A wonderful show.
  • WOW..... it takes me 2 episodes to realise what this EXTRAS thing is..!! Well, the series is about extra actors instead of normally we talk about the main actors. This is a new way to see a tv series!

6.3
    By watching the first episode, it is about Ben Stiller being a director for a film in a war, but the main story is not about Ben Stiller, is it about a couple of actors that is the extras acting that tries to get a better lines by using the man who wrote the story.

Watch this series where Andy Millman and Maggie Jacobs becomes the main actors where they played as an extras in the series while the main actors are the guest stars only..!!
  • a funny show

after the succsess of ricky gervais's the office , every one was looking at gervais's next project with antisciptation. and with extras, ricky gervais and stephen merchant do not dissapoint. the shoe is abour andy millmann an extra who is always chasing that big role (or just even some dialouge), he spends most his time sitting on set with close friend maggie jacobs who is prone to pitting her foot in her mouth, or working with his incompenant agent darren and his assistant barry from eastenders. the show has great chemistry, great charcters and some very funny/cringeworthy moments. the has been a host of british and american guest parts on the show such as, ben stiller, orlando bloom, chris martin, robert de niro. a must see.
  • Its all about embarrassing situations!!..

Extras foundations of humor is embarrassment!!.. From doing something ridiculous to something profound and then making the situation more so embarrassing by trying to convince, or lie your way out of it, knowing the people you are doing this to, know so!!.. But continue despite this fact then digging yourself deeper into one massive embarrassing hole..

The co-star alongside Ricky Gervais, Ashley Jensen main purpose in the program is specifically for this reason, Andy Millman (Ricky Gervais) will encourage the embarrassment of the situation either to her advantage or disadvantage.. Whether it be the course of her dating a man with a huge foot and calling him names on instinct, to going to a friends party and only old folks be the guests then destroy the birthday, to dirty phone calls and getting advice from Kate Winslet, then having Kate and Andy Millman mock the idea.. Every Character has a reason for embarrassment.. An episode wont pass where embarrassment is the main factor of laughter.. Embarrassment is funny!!..
  • A good start, typical Ricky Gervais humour. Hopefully the series will get better, since the first episode was good, but not anything to make it an instant classic.

From the get go, I took any thoughts and expectations brought about by The Office and threw them away. This isn't The Office, by any means.

The show style is completely different for a start. It's more of a sitcom than a mock fly on the wall documentary.

While Gervais' snappy wit is still there, the character he portraits isn't David Brent, nor is it supposed to be.

The show itself I thought was hilarious, I've always been a fan of Ricky dating back to his small segmants on the 11 O'Clock show on Channel 4. His style of humour is 'right down my alley' I suppose. I loved the dead wife photo's conversation and the big shoe stuff, that was especially funny.

The only bad thing I can see so far is Ricky's female friend who I just wasn't buying. I'm not sure what type of character they were trying to get across, but I didn't like it. Hopefully she wont be so silly in future episodes. Although who is to say she's even going to appear in future episodes? Andy Millman might be getting cast in shows and movies with all new extras along side him.

I'm hoping for great things from this show and I'm looking forward to the 2nd episode. And once again people, it's not The Office so stop saying "It's not The Office". We get it.
  • Almost as good as the Office(UK)

Ricky Gervais is a very funny man. He has an execptional talent for making himself and the actors around him look extremely pathetic. Sometimes I feel guilty laughing at the embarassment and even pain that the characters experience. Yet I continue watching because it is funnier and better written that most things on TV.
    Not as funny or heart-wrenching as the Office but but it comes close.
    It is definitly British and is sharp and darking in its humour.
  • A hilarious show hailing from Britain, not for everyone though.

This show, at times, can be extremely homophobic and racist, but I just can't deny how hilarious it is. Ricky Gervais is great, one of the funniest comedians out there. He has just unique humor that can only be found in The Office. I have never, ever seen anyone, anywhere, with similar humour.
    Some episodes from the first season, had boring scenes. Season 2 is the best, my favourite episode being the one with David Bowie, he is my favourite musician ever, and his song 'Little Fat Man' almost had me in tears with laughter, and at the same time, it was quite vicious and cruel. Extras is generally more entertaining than The Office, as it ventures past an office building, to ..well..everywhere. A hilarious show.
  • I liked Extras

I like Extras but I think that it isnt as good as The Office, this show is still good but the office is much funnier. Loved the guest stars in this show even Robert De Niro popped up in a episode. my favourites are Kate Winslet, Orlando Bloom and Ben Stiller. Series one was a bit better than the first and Gervias's character was no David Brent. Merchant and Barry from Eastenders where always great when on screen. Didnt enjoy the final episode it had its moments but was nothing speacil compared to the offices finale. Great show all in all.
  • One of the best UK sitcoms Iv'e seen.

I never watched The Office,but I have seen Gervais's 'Animals' stand up show,it was both hilarious and very gross.Extras isn't all that rude and is only occasionally rude.Season 1 certainly had it's momements,but it wasn't one of the best British sitcoms I'd seen.
    But Season 2 nearly set me to the ground.I guess it's because Andy has started up his own sitcom with the BBC,the incredibly unfunny 'When The Whistle Blows'.His reputation is at an all time low,not just because of the TV critics but also he's always screwing things up in front of the press,public and celebrities.
    It makes you cringe sometimes when he makes an arse of himself,yet is the main reason why this show is so damn funny.Keep the good work up Ricky Gervais.
  • Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant undertake the very hard job of following the massive success of The Office with another half hour comedy. Luckily for them, and even more so for us, they more than succeed. Though it still doesn't match the Office for qu

The Office is a phenomenon. A classic comedy that is both original and accessible. It had grown to a such a huge status that even Gervais was getting a bit sick of people asking him to 'do the dance'. It's highly regarded both in the UK and the US and was wisely restricted to 2 series and a special by Gervais and Merchant.

Then they had to follow it up with something new.

Everyone was expecting something great and what they have delivered is maybe a bit less accessible due to reduced number of characters but is most definately approaching the quality of their debut show.
    The main draw for most will be the celeb names but there's far more to offer.
    The cameos by celebs such as Patrick Stewart, Ben Stiller, Sam Jackson and, er, Barry from Eastenders are gleefully warped(especially Les Dennis) and certainly add a lot but the two leads are the main focus.

Gervais has wisely directed his character Andy away from the infamous David Brent making him more intelligent, witty and less naive but still giving him the ability to put his foot right in it!

New-comer Ashley Jensen is endearing as his best friend 'extra' Maggie bringing a certain clumsy innocence to the role.

Merchant is also fun as Andy's slimy agent.

The plots aren't generally about anything in particular and often revolve around things like unintentionally being racist, trying to keep a depressed Les Dennis company or just generally hanging around the set of their current production. It rings a bit like Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm in that respect.

In the end, this is a superb show and well worth a look, especially if you're a fan of The Office.

Great stuff, roll on series 2!
  • Great show getting better.

As a huge fan of The Office I couldn't wait to see Extras, but seeing the first show I was a little disappointed to say the least. But after having now seen the first five episodes, I can say that this is a show that needs time to grow on you. By the third episode, once I was familiar with all the characters and how they relate to each other, I really started enjoying the show a lot more, and seeing Ricky being himself is very funny to watch. I'll have to go back and see the first few episodes again, and I'm sure they'll be a lot funnier second time around as I don't have to think too much about what is going on. But overall, I think any Ricky Gervais or The Office fan should also enjoy this show, almost as much.
  • Extras is a hilarious comedy written by and stars Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant who both wrote “The Office”.

Extras is about Andy Millman, (Ricky Gervais) a failing actor who can only get bit-parts thanks to his useless agent (Stephen Merchant) who also represents “Barry” from Eastenders (Shaun Williamson).
    Each episode sees Andy trying to get a mere line and friend Maggie (Ashely Jenson) trying to attract male attention from any of the cast or crew.

Each episode features guest appearances from many famous faces playing themselves.

Episode One stars a heartless and big headed Ben Stiller who is directing a Russian war movie based on a true story.

Episode Two stars a cocky Ross Kemp who gets put in his place by hard-man Vinny Jones.

Episode Three is about a holocaust movie in which an Oscar seeking Kate Winslet is the leading role.

In Episode Four Andy plays a genie along side an on the up Les Dennis in a pantomime.

Samual L Jackson is the guest in the penultimate episode.

And Patrick Stewart gives Andy a helping hand in the final episode.

It has been promised that there will be a second series next year.

RUMOURS SUGGEST!!!!
    Madonna and Ant and Dec may make an appearance.
  • Not an instant classice but it's still too early to tell.

I just watched the first show and i knew before that if i watched it expecting it to be as good as The Office, i wouldn't like it. So i took a lighter approach and i liked it a lot. It's not what i would call an instant classice but i think it has a lot of potential. So i am looking forward to what this show will later pull out.
    I think the whole is idea is a very original one and i will definately continue to watch it. So if your a big fan of The Office then you shouldn't watch this show thinking it will definatley be as good, but if your a Ricky Gervais fan, you'll love it!
  • An intrersting show with lots of potential

I was not a fan of the office but when i saw adverts for extras on tv i thought i\'ll have a look. I liked politics and animals and loved him in Alias. So i thoguht i would give it a chance. I sat down to watch it thinking i would go off it but i stuck to it and thoguht it was decent. It will deffinatly be on reminder on sky. I hope people dont just judge it from the first episode as i believe it will get better as time goes along. Besides i also want to see the episode with Samuel L Jackson in. Give it a chance, you may be surprised.
  • Ricky Gervais back to what he does best, awkward situation comedies.

The adventures of Andy, a struggling actor who is having trouble finding anything but Extras work. Celebrity cameos each episode, Patrick Stewart, Ben Stiller, Kate Winslet most notibly. With awkward moments that could rival the original Office, it is an extremely well written comedy with many memorable moments. For me though, what makes this show is Andy's agent Darren Lamb, played by Gervais' off sider Stephen Merchant, the banter between him and his only other client 'Barry from Eastenders' is priceless. The scene in Lamb's office where he has the pen with the naked lady is priceless.
    The way in which Gervais manages to get these celebrities to send themselves up makes this show unique, and great chemistry between the regulars, makes it a great pity that this gem only has 12 episodes.
  • only just discovered....

Extras - i have heard all about it but never really got around to watching it. One night (a while ago) i watched clips of the Orlando Bloom episode and decided to give it a go. I then watched Daniel Radcliffe's episode and still didn't really enjoy it.

Then a few weeks ago i bought the first series for oly £4 and decided to try again. I love it!!! The first episode, featuring Ross Kemp, was hilarious. It follows film extras Andy and his friend Maggie. They bump in to lots of celebrities, trying to get bigger parts in the film.

My favourite episode of series one was definatly Kate Winslet's episode, i will never look at her in the same way again!!

I love this and would recommend it to anyone!!!
  • Just started watching...

I bought series 1 & 2 together for a nice price, brand spanking new, and I love this show!!!
    I only just started watching it, and all the little jokes are pure gold, and this series merely backs up my views on the man-Ricky Gervais and his pure genius work, and humour.
    He also did The Office and that was brilliant, but this show just adapts on The Office and completely takes it to another level by the jokes (that perhaps The Office did in small doses) and behavior of the characters.
    Insane show!!
    The way the characters Andy and Maggie constantly say the wrong things to other people in the show is absolutely hilarious and it seems that most, if not all of the episodes have a scene where Andy or Maggie land themselves in an embarrassing situation with other characters and it just all goes wrong, with either racist attitudes or jokes-not on purpose, or other delicate issues.
    This is fabulous and if you haven't seen it, watch it, buy it or whatever!
    If you've seen it and don't own it, seriously, just go out there and purchase it, its awesome.

Well done to Ricky Gervais for another superb comedy show.

See this!
  • Extras

This show has to be the best comedy I seen in years since The Office which is made by the same people who did this show. This show is brilliant to watch every now and again whenever it is on. I am not a fan of Ricky Gervais but this show is awesome.
  • I watched episode one and it didn't fulfilled my expectations. Though I'm think this show has great potential. I never watched the office (but I getting some episodes right now), so I wasn't prejudiced by that serie.

I watched episode one and it didn't fulfill my expectations. Though I think this show has great potential. I never watched the office (but I'm getting some episodes right now), so I wasn't prejudiced by that serie. But I watched some trailers from Extras and I thought it would be real fun. And so I watched the first episode.

I don't want to judge this show on one episode so I am going to watch some more in the future. I think it has huge potential and finally it wil be great and funny.

We'll see! Looking forward to the show with Samual L. Jackson.
  • Liked this show.

After The Office I was ready to try this show. I had read many positive reviews of it and like both Ricky Gervais and Ashley Jensen. Now that I have watched the entire series I can say that I really believe the best part of the show was Ashley Jensen's performance as Maggie. She was so delightfully wacky and deluded that even in her most terrible moments she was still hilarious and lovable. Ricky Gervais really made the show "When the Whistle Blows" so painful to even sit through the brief moments that we the viewer saw, that I can completely sympathize with his horror of the catchphrase spewing evil that he had created. While I won't buy this show on DVD, I did enjoy it and would recommend it to others.
  • Its good.

7.8
    When you have a behemoth like the Office to live up to, your next project will surely be scrutinized to the finest degree. I can't help but wonder how successful this show would have been had it not had been brought to us by the team behind from Wernham Hogg.
    On the one hand there are simple well observed moments that express a characters insecurities, Gervais at his best. On the other hand there are cheap throwaway jokes and guest appearances for the sake of guest appearances, with no real comedy value. Hopefully, the planned second series will develop the two central characters further and make better use of the famous cameos.

All in all this is a nice little show with great potential and some excellent comedy moments, but its no 'office'.
< 1 2