Is Extreme Makeover : Home Edition to extreme??

squigglesbl

[1]Apr 4, 2007
    • level: 1

Am I the only one who thinks that some of the houses are too "Extreme". 

Some of the houses are way to big and the rooms to "themey".  The houses are nice and all but lets face it some of the houses do not match the area they are built in.  Ie: the epsidoe that aired on 3/25/07 for the Wilson family.  It looks like the house was built in a trailer park.  I know if one of my neighbors got a "home edition" house and they built the typical house, it would lookbe out of place.

Also the rooms for most of the kids are way overdone.  Kids grow and a Spiderman room will not be right anymore, or a firetruck  bed will get outgrown, what then?? Do they come back and redo the rooms for a preteen, then later for a teenager??

I would rather see the rooms nicely decorated and timeless. They can make a bedroom that would take the small child through the teen years without having to do a major redecorating.  Maybe it is my frugal upbringing, but I was taught to reuse/recyle well before it became policitally correct.   Why don't they reuse more of the family's furniture/belongings.

One last thing, does anyone know if there is anything from stoping the family from selling the house and buying something else??   I have seen some episodes that show that the builders buy off the mortgage, and due fund raisers to help the family, however,who pays for the utilities,property tax and up keep, on these huge houses.  Some of the families can barely keep food on the table how are they going to pay for all the expenses related to owning a large house. 

I would like to see them do a nice modern ranch or 2 floor colonial for a change.  Why don't they ever pick an average American family who already owns a house, but like most are just making ends meet, and don't have the extra money needed to remodel/ repair the houses.  ie:  add a second floor to a small house with a growing family living in it, or remodel an older house updating the plumbing and electrical.  etc.  That is what I thought the concept was when it first aired years ago.

Well enough ranting I guess.  I do like the show, but find it to be a little to overdone at times. 

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Carterfan

[2]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 6
    Sometimes I would agree.....I think that in some cases I would rather see two houses done instead of one huge house.....And it does make me wonder too what happens when the kids "outgrow" the rooms that they get.....The ones for kids over 12 or so would be ok, but under that would seem strange after a while.....

I too have wondered different things as well, like with families that have kids just about ready to go off to college and now they have extra rooms, or what happens if a family has another child or something?.....I have also wondered what neighbors might think when the house is this monstrosity that looks out of place.....My parents a year and a half ago had a three room plus half bath addition put onto the top of their house but when you go down the street it looks as though it has always been that way where as the neighbors next door added one room and it looks completely out of place.....

I've also often wondered why some families get different things like college scolarships, vehicles, mortgages paid off and so on.....sometimes I can understand when the builders decide to pay off the mortgage or something but it does make me wonder why some get all the extras while others just get the home......Although judging by what I have seen so far this season it appears that Ford must be partnering with EMHE to give each family a vehicle with their home from what I can tell

berg0449

[3]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 2

The money is a problem. I have heard reports of at least 1 family that is close to losing the house. The problem is even with house paid off, they now have large bills to keep the house going. Just think of property taxes alone.

Whats sad is the large houses are almost forgotten in the episodes lately. The show is mostly about the story. Thats fine, but then why not make a resonable size house. My bet is the large houses sell ads and product placements.

As for selling the house see http://www.tv.com/extreme-makeover-home-edition/show/23066/forums.html.  It says some of the tax problems selling the house. 

Edited on 04/09/2007 12:50pm

shortie7thluver

[4]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 5

ya, sometimes i think they should tone down the houses....i remember one family, i think in chicago or another big city like it, there was a family of 7 i believe, and like 4 of the kids played violin...i hope i'm not getting it mixed up, but anyway, they had just bought a house in a neighbourhood, where the houses were very close together and they were all the same, but when they renovated they built it up another floor or two, so one house stood up above all the rest.  that is way too extreme for the neighbourhood!!

and they're always bragging this is the biggest house, this house has the most square feet of kitchen or whatever....

and about the rooms, for the most time i like them, but sometimes i think the rooms should be more neutral...i mean kids likes and interests change, and there would be so much changes the family has to make when the children grow older.

Carterfan

[5]Apr 9, 2007
    I have to agree that it isn't great to have these huge houses if they know that the families may not be able to upkeep them.....and not all families get the luxury of getting their house paid off (unless they were already paid off but just in dissaray or what ever).....If I am not mistaken you pay property taxes based on the current market value of your house and not what your previous house value was and I'm sure that can definately be a problem for those who could barely afford the house that they had much less a bigger fancier one

It is always nice to see them get the house of their dreams but the downside can be that they cannot afford the upkeep on it.....

I would have to also agree that I think that EMHE only builds those extravigant houses because they know that is what we all wait with baited breath to see and to see the expressions on the faces of each person in the family......and of course I'm sure that it also has a lot to do with the various products that are put into the houses and the product placement.....I can't see a buiness like Sears putting all that stuff into the house if all it were going to be was a quick 2 second view of some dinky little kitchen cause that is most likely not the kind of audience that they are trying to market to.....

Carterfan

[6]Apr 9, 2007
    Hey I wonder.....is there any place on the web that shows the families say a year or so after their Extreme Home makeover??

frany66

[7]Apr 19, 2007
    • level: 11
    They have had a return visit in a few episodes. Like specials. But I don't know exactly where you could find them.

OTH_TW_lover

[8]Apr 27, 2007
    • level: 23
    Yeah some of the kids rooms are way over done especially for the younger children. I dont remember seasons or specific episodes but I remember one little boy was like 3 or 4 and they built him this giant boat bed. Hes going to be way to big for that thing by the time hes like 10 and then what are they going to do with it. The thing would have to be completly taken apart just to get it out of the room. I wish there was a site where we could see what people have changed about their homes a couple years after being on the show.

xx-eve-xx

[9]May 9, 2007
    • level: 4

Yeah...ok love this show its one of my faves but even i have to admit that some of the houses are overdone....the kids' rooms are not the best idea coz even tho its great to see the look of awe and happiness on their faces when they see it for the first time but its not gonna last forever.......what 13 or 14 year old wants an alphabeth/princess room etc.

Also there's gonna be so much money and time needed to go into the upkeep of the house like the landscaping and the general cleaning of these huge houses

Although overall i gotta say that i dont think its really that extreme when i see shows on tv where people spend hundreds  of thousands on stuff like liposuction, boob and nose jobs

hilljo

[10]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 5
    I don't like the themed rooms, I mean, kids grow up so fast these days that the rooms will be old within a few month. I'd go crazy if they did it to my house. The houses are way too big, in the world that we live in today, it makes me sick to think how much energy would be wasted in those homes in lighting and keeping it warm etc....

kdtfiles

[11]Sep 17, 2007
    ATLEAST ONE FAMILY WAS FORCED TO SELL THEIR MADEOVER HOUSE.

To answer the question of what happens to families after the show:

I don't remember what family it was, but two or three seasons ago, they worked on a house in Washington State. The news around here made a big deal, cause it was a local person. Well, when they did the home they made it twice the size of the old home. About six months later the news did another story, the homeowner and her kids, were being forced to sell the house because she couldn't afford all the new bills, including the huge increase of the electric bill and water bill, and new taxes.

I felt so bad for the family, they struggled to live in a house that was falling down arund them, then bam they get their house rebuilt, it looked amazing, and than they are forced to sell cause the work that was supposed to help them left them worse off.

The show should tone down the extreme building. PLUS

Most of us remember the California family that took in 5 orphans, and used their story to get family home built. But no sooner than the house was finished the family kicked the orphans out, kept the cars the show gave to the 3 kids, the orphans turned around and tried to sue the show for their own house to be built.
    Here is a link to an article about the lawsuite.
    http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/california-judge-dismisses-extreme-makeover-orphans-home-claim-5545.php

Carterfan

[12]Oct 1, 2007
    The catch 22 is.....The show would not get the ratings it does if they built these "perfect little houses" as most people would go "meh"......

In my opinion they should realistically either build a house and help subsidize the cost of maintaining the house for say up to two years or something or make sure that they are building something that would be managable on the incomes that these people make.....

lequericacalvo

[13]Nov 17, 2007
    • level: 32
    squigglesbl wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks that some of the houses are too "Extreme".

Some of the houses are way to big and the rooms to "themey". The houses are nice and all but lets face it some of the houses do not match the area they are built in. Ie: the epsidoe that aired on 3/25/07 for the Wilson family. It looks like the house was built in a trailer park. I know if one of my neighbors got a "home edition" house and they built the typical house, it would lookbe out of place.

Also the rooms for most of the kids are way overdone. Kids grow and a Spiderman room will not be right anymore, or a firetruck bed will get outgrown, what then?? Do they come back and redo the rooms for a preteen, then later for a teenager??

I would rather see the rooms nicely decorated and timeless. They can make a bedroom that would take the small child through the teen years without having to do a major redecorating. Maybe it is my frugal upbringing, but I was taught to reuse/recyle well before it became policitally correct. Why don't they reuse more of the family's furniture/belongings.

One last thing, does anyone know if there is anything from stoping the family from selling the house and buying something else?? I have seen some episodes that show that the builders buy off the mortgage, and due fund raisers to help the family, however,who pays for the utilities,property tax and up keep, on these huge houses. Some of the families can barely keep food on the table how are they going to pay for all the expenses related to owning a large house.

I would like to see them do a nice modern ranch or 2 floor colonial for a change. Why don't they ever pick an average American family who already owns a house, but like most are just making ends meet, and don't have the extra money needed to remodel/ repair the houses. ie: add a second floor to a small house with a growing family living in it, or remodel an older house updating the plumbing and electrical. etc. That is what I thought the concept was when it first aired years ago.

Well enough ranting I guess. I do like the show, but find it to be a little to overdone at times.

No you are not the only one who thinks this shows sometimes goes to extreme.

JokerCPoC310

[14]Dec 16, 2007

Carterfan wrote:
    I have to agree that it isn't great to have these huge houses if they know that the families may not be able to upkeep them.....and not all families get the luxury of getting their house paid off (unless they were already paid off but just in disarray or what ever).....If I am not mistaken you pay property taxes based on the current market value of your house and not what your previous house value was and I'm sure that can definitely be a problem for those who could barely afford the house that they had much less a bigger fancier one It is always nice to see them get the house of their dreams but the downside can be that they cannot afford the upkeep on it..... I would have to also agree that I think that EMHE only builds those extravagant houses because they know that is what we all wait with baited breath to see and to see the expressions on the faces of each person in the family......and of course I'm sure that it also has a lot to do with the various products that are put into the houses and the product placement.....I can't see a buiness like Sears putting all that stuff into the house if all it were going to be was a quick 2 second view of some dinky little kitchen cause that is most likely not the kind of audience that they are trying to market to.....

Yeah If one owns a house and can't afford to pay for the increased cost in utils and taxes, One shouldn't have the house as It's not a practical house that one could afford to pay for and I'd pass as I know what I can afford, And the houses they've made look very nice, But I wonder could I afford to have something like that? I don't know, What I have now may not be much, But It's what I can afford, More efficiency on the houses part will be added on to eventually after I replace an aging recliner, a washer/dryer, a mattress/box spring & sofa as these are things I can't get in a USRDA 1% fixed loan for those with very low incomes like Me. Fancier isn't better, Practical improvements are, Unless one is rich or closer to It than I am.

firetext

[15]Dec 17, 2007

Hello Everyone! I was watching Extreme Makeover last night and it was amazing to see my company's product on the show. Back in October the production team of the TV Show contacted our team to see if we wanted to participate in the show by providing our Text to TV technology! We were all over it! And it was so exciting to see the show put together!

Anna wanted Text Message to TV Screen in her bedroom to chat with her friends and that's where we came in We've been flooded with calls and emails all night!

Check out our Text to TV Website http://www.firetext.tv

beyced

[16]Jan 9, 2008
    I need some ideas for making my mother's home accessible to her. She is a recent amputee and not able to get around in her three level split foyer home.She is sleeping on a day bed in the family room. I am afraid we are going to lose her because she is miserable. Can you please help?

dunbrine47

[17]Oct 12, 2008
    • level: 9

This is how most of the families end up after the show:

Family:AAhhhh Thank you for this McMashion.Now are we going to get the chek to help with the upkeep?

ExMeHE producer:It's in the car letme get it(Goes into car and drives off)

Family:Heyyyyyyyyyyyy get back here!!!!!!

Tax Collectores:So we just got over your new propetry tax and it's 15,000 a year.

Family:We can't afford that!

Tax Collectores:Then we'll jack this house for ourselves.

Family: Damn

Edited on 10/12/2008 12:04pm
    Edited 2 total times.

coolteen8887

[18]Nov 30, 2008
    • level: 8
    Well here is my opinion: - The show has been shown to give money as a donation to the family for the upkeep - The family goes and stupidly spends that money that was meant to help them upkeep with the new house, and instead spends it on "nicer stuff" because what was already generously given to them by the show was apparently not good enough for them - The family runs out of money, they are forced to sell, and they selfishly try to sue ABC for more money

Because that what's it all about. It's not about the good deeds, the love of a family, the promise of a bright(er) future. No. It's about the money.

Sick.

kdtfiles

[19]Dec 9, 2008
    Even if they are given some extra money there is nooooo freaking way that it would help them pay for the upkeep for more than a year or two. you take a family that could barely pay for the cruddy house they had, then give them a house that uses more power, more water, higher property tax, higher insurance rates.... and so on. There is just no way they can afford to keep the place.