EyeShield 21

TV Tokyo Premiered Apr 06, 2005 Between Seasons

kenn_judai_88

EyeShield 21 Fan Reviews (14)

• Sena Kobayakawa is a wimp who gets involved in his High School Football Team as the new and misterious running back.

Although many people thik this anime is a waste of time, I just loved it, its great and full o fun, the music is good and the story also will take you to another level. Let's say is the new Generation of American Football, lol, although is may look kinda fictious, just give it a try, it'll sure make you laugh at least once.
    At least for me, is a great anime.
  • YA-HA! High School Football in Japan!

If anyone's played any sort of high school sport, then you know how... er... devoted the people around you are. Leave it to Hiruma to go to the least logical extreme, though I do recall knowing several people just as crazy as him on my school's team. Slapstick comedy, silly abuse of the main character, and just enough guts, that is the best way to describe this program. Sena, like most typical shounen heros, is a reluctant one. He's got a gift in his near super-human speed, but he so used to running away from his problems. Once he realizes that he's not alone but part of a team, he gets better. Kurita is the typical gentle giant of the team, best serving to balance out what a raving lunatic Hiruma is. Other characters are fleshed out pretty good, though some do fall into stereotypes, like Ohtawara of Oujo High, being a dumb brick of a jock. Still, this is a good show for those looking to amused at the suffering of another person... and watch some football.
  • Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?!!!! YA-HA!!!

Pros: football action and trivia; very interesting characters; teaches you about a lot of lessons in life; really funny; great animation

Cons: sports anime are not exactly everyone's cup of tea; teaches you about a lot of lessons in life; some characters are truly bizarre

No Bengals, no bears, and no browns. Just white knights, chameleons, and devil bats. This ain't the kind of football that's the world's most popular sports, it's the grid-iron Madden kind of football.

In Eyeshield 21, a high-school freshman named Sena has been bullied ever since he was little. During all that time, he either had to run away from bullies or run errands for them. His time spent running from here to there has given him the speed of an American football reciever, and that's just what captain of the Deimon High School Football team, Hiruma, sees in Sena. Now, Sena finds himself playing as the running back of Deimon High School's Football team, the Devil Bats, under the guise of Eyeshield 21.

What will first strike you with the force of a lineman's tackle is the stunning animation. The colors are bright, beautiful, and descriptive. The second great thing about E-21 is the huge amount of unique characters, from the big lovable teddy bear that is Kurita to the devilish, gun-toting quarterback Hiruma. The wide variety of characters and their different personalities make for not only some cool football action, but also some off-the-wall comedy that will have you ROTFLYAO.

Also, despite the wackiness of E-21, it gives you inspiring messages that will tell you to not give up on your dreams and the like. Sena's determination is so inspiring that it makes me want to go out and play football myself. Hey, if you don't even know the first thing about football, don't worry. The show includes trivia questions to teach you the basics of the sport.

The drawbacks in E-21 are that it's a sports anime, that it sometimes feel like you're watching an afternoon special, and that some characters are too weird. Since most people like their anime to have slashing swords, firing guns, use of magic, attractive women, monsters, and a bag of chips, some people may not think twice about sports anime. As for why it sometimes feel like an afternoon special, the show kinda makes the life lessons it tries to teach you a bit too obvious. And the strange characters are likeable, but they are very, very odd for their own good. They make you wonder, "Are they really high school teens?" Nonetheless, these setbacks don't really bring the show down much.

Eyeshield 21 manages to "Breakthrough" and "Be Free" (get it?) from the rest of the generic anime and become a highly enjoyable shounen sports anime.
  • Comes out two months after the premier of the manga and I expected it in a year or so.

This is a TV Show based on the manga. It follows the manga storyline very closely, with only a few added adjustments.

Sena is a small first-year. Throughout his life he's been a gopher, running back and forth doing errands for bullies. But now that's changed. He`s gotten so fast, that he can run the 40-yard dash in 4.2 seconds, while being chased by the ferocious dog Cerberus, the football team's pet.

Sena's now been accepted to the school football team as the new runningback, undercover as EyeShield 21, to avoid being hassled. He gets quite nervous before a game, but then learns he outrun anyone, well almost anyone.

I shan`t tell you anymore, or I shall spoil it all. But really if you want to find out what happens, read the manga.

~DreamFiend_633
  • The only sports anime I like so far.

EyeShield 21 is a fun anime to watch with many qualities such as comedy, intense plot, characters, slapstick, thrills, suspense, and sports. I would recommend this program to any football fan. Personally, I do not like football, or almost any other sport, but this show is too good to turn down.

My favorite characters would be Hiruma and Sena. Hiruma is a natural tactician, and I like Sena's brave development from a shy gopher who has been bullied all his life to a football all star.... with a secret identity, of course. I think his eyeshield is hip.

So, if you're a sports fan and need a laugh with good story, EyeShield 21 is the show for you.
  • This anime is great even if your not a football fan..

Kobayakawa Sena is a little guy who always get picked on by the bullies in school. Since elementary school, he always play the role of the 'errand boy' to the extent that he has become swift and fast in his movements. Coincidentally, Hiruma Youichi and Kurita Ryukan are looking for a fast running back for their American Football team (Amefuto) and want to put Sena in the team. To hide their new 'star' player from the eyes of other High Schools, Hiruma encases Sena in a Amefuto helmet with a dark visor and name him Eyeshield #21.

Great anime, introduces the game of american football (amefuto) in a new spotlight. Never gets boring, awesome soundtrack, and best of all, it has the most twisted, funny and trigger-happy badass of a character who, as far as I can tell, is original in every way possible. Long-live Hiruma-sama! YA-HA!!
  • Eyeshield 21 is a manga about American football written by Riichiro Inagaki and illustrated by Yusuke Murata. It has been adapted into an anime movie in 2004.

5.9
    revolves around a physically unassuming and non-assertive boy named Sena Kobayakawa who enters the high school of his choice, Deimon Private Senior High School, where his childhood friend Mamori Anezaki, one year older than Sena, already attends. His only remarkable physical abilities are his running speed and dodging techniques, which catch the eye of the high school's American football team captain Yoichi Hiruma who then forces Sena to join the team (Deimon Devil Bats) as the running back. To protect his identity (on the premise that other school sports teams will try to recruit Sena upon discovering his athletic skill) Sena is forced to publicly assume the role of team secretary, and enter the field wearing a helmet equipped with a green-tinted eyeshield in order to hide his features under the pseudonym of "Eyeshield 21." The makeshift team initially takes part in the Spring football tournament (at the beginning of the Japanese school year) hoping to win with through the strength of their new "secret weapon." But the extremely weak team is eliminated early on by the Ojo White Knights, a powerhouse football team. Others see the skill of the current White Knights as having declined from the previous "Golden Generation" but the team members are trying to prove that they have the ability to surpass their predecessors. It is in this game that Sena meets the man he will acknowledge as his ultimate rival, Seijuro Shin, a talented linebacker. After Deimon's defeat, the Spring tournament is revealed as a secondary in importance to the Fall tournament, where the teams compete for the chance to play in the "Christmas Bowl," the high school football league championship. Hiruma, Kurita and Sena regroup and slowly build a real team from other misfits and students looking to define themselves, with the goal of reaching the championship. The series follows the building and growth of the Deimon Devil Bats and its members, as well as various rival teams encountered through their games and tournaments, as they all strive to achieve their goal of playing in the Christmas Bowl.
  • My review on I-Shield :D

Eyesheild 21 is about a boy named Sena who is secretly Eyeshield 21, a player on the Deimon Devil Bats football team. The reason I got hooked on this show is because I am a running back for my high school football team as well, and I am one of the fastest. It really gets me pumped to play. I have always played football on a team, but when I saw this show, it inspired me to try my best. Anyways, It is a really good show. The story is brilliant. The characters are funney as hell (especially Hiruma.) And it is just really nice show that I would recommend to anyone who likes anime and American football.
  • Sena is a new high school student that is always the aim of bullies and is used as their gopher a number of times. When Sena gets into High School his whole world changes as he is drafted by Hiruma Youichi into the Deimon Devil Bat's Football Club.

This show has a great story line. the characters are great and have so much character to them. The author really goes into detail about the actual football play and you get to see how the characters grow and get better as time progresses. You follow the characters journey to their goal of: The Christmas Bowl. As they go along you are introduced to many new characters and teams. These people all have deep personalities and traits of their own. You really get to know the characters. One of the good things is that you also get to learn about the sport of American Football as it is portrayed accurately in this show. The author didn't cut any corneers on this. Its a great show thats funny and interesting. :D
  • Just read the manga book 1. Hoked instantly!

This is great. I am a hugh NFL fan (GO Steelers!!) and this was right up my ally. Sena and Monta are my two favorites with Kurtia not far behind. All the characters are very funny and they all have their own personalities. That makes this anime even better then I thought it would be. Eyeshield is one of my favorite animes in a long time. Heres to hoping that JUMP will bring it to America and keep it on a respectable network - like maybe they would take a page from FUNimation and have their own network where they could show all of their animes. Time will tell.
  • A very surprisingly good sports anime.

As I had just finished Prince of Tennis (Not the OVAs) I was looking for another anime to watch. I was recommended Eyeshield 21, mainly because I mentioned that I just finished PoT. I view the first two episodes, thinking that the show isn't bad. I watch the next five episodes, hooked on the anime. Before I knew it, I'm up to episode 120 xD!

The characters are simply amazing. Hiruma is a true work of art, while if they took out any other characters, Eyeshield 21 wouldn't feel right.

The quality of the anime is simply amazing. The Deimon Devil Bats compete with teams around the world, and offers twists and turns in these matches.

Ah the openings... A PERFECT MATCH! Openings as well as endings were tremendous in pairing up with scenes from the anime as well as giving the impulse of the intense games.

I could go on and on about how good this show is but overall this show is a memorable experience, being one of only two sports anime that are excellent.
  • Yahaa

Eyeshield21 is most definitly 1 of the best sports anime at this time.This anime also has its comedic aspect done quite well. There are always instances that would make you laugh, because of how unusual the situations are or how a character's actions is out of the ordinary.I like the characters of EYESHIELD 21. The characters are original and colourful. Sena, the coward and ambitious boy. Most important that he's the person that value the meaning of friendships and team-mates.monta brighten the anime with his facial express of humor. Hiruma is the coolest captain cause he can organise different kinds of techniques during the game (although he is the most meanest in the school)... don't forget about the Huh Huh brothers, Mamori and Kurita...

The songs in this anime are pretty good. The mix of the songs and the anime kind of bring out the mood.

If one's looking for a good anime to add to their list, I throughly suggest this anime
  • this is one of the best sports anime around after prince of tennis of course

Sena and Monta are my two favorites with Kurtia not far behind. All the characters are very cool and they all have their own personalities. This show has a great story line. the characters are great and have so much character to them. The author really goes into detail about the actual football play and you get to see how the characters grow and get better as time and only one goal so far the Christmas Bowl let see
  • Sena is a kid who has been bullied by bigger kids since he attended school. he is even being bullied on his first day of high school. After so many years, Sena became extremely fast. The evil american football club captain,Hiruma, noticed that speed...

Himura looks like the devil and has the personality of Robin Williams on a sugar high. Himura has zany facial expressions, pulls extreme (puzzling really) things out of nowhere, and is a genuine pain-in-the-butt. He tortures Sena, he blows things up with bazookas, he curses out teammates who are slacking off, and is a screamer at heart. If it weren't for the fact that Himura is play almost completely for laughs (and is the most memorable character in this series) you could really, REALLY, get to hate him! All the other characters are completely overshadowed by this zany character.
    After 145 episodes at last Eyeshield 21 has come to an end, and what an adventure it was. I feel like I went through all this adventure with the whole Deimon Devil Bats team, I know them by heart, their positions, their numbers, and their personalities.
    I'm not sure if there is going to be anything after this but even after so many years I still want to see more of Eyeshield 21.