Fairy Tail Forums

Monday 7:30 AM on TV TokyoBetween Seasons

Fairy Tail Manga Discussion Thread (Current Japanese Release)

Ranemoraken

[1]Aug 7, 2009
    • level: 20

Well, until the editors change Fairy Tale to Fairy Tail, we can discuss the manga here. The only thing here that constitutes a spoiler is talking about Raws and the translations of them before they're displayed on the popular manga sites.

Right now, we've just finished reading the controversial 146. Controversial insomuch that it is not very good.

Edited on 10/03/2009 12:12pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ranemoraken

[2]Aug 10, 2009
    147 is up. An improvement to the last week's. At least Gerard isn't dead in a lame way, and of course, Nirvana is saved.

Ranemoraken

[3]Aug 17, 2009
    148 is up. I'm actually curious to see how many weeks in a row I can add to this before discussion starts sneaking in. Not too much happened here, I'm glad FT wasn't the guild being targeted, because that would be simple and a little boring after what happened in the last arc. Also, after the racing fight we just had, an aerial fight might just top that in scale of grandeur. I'm happy.

Ranemoraken

[4]Aug 25, 2009
    Well, I had two WTF's this chapter. In any other manga, I have "oh Snap!" moments, but in this series I have high hopes. These high hopes are continually shattered. I know shonen manga is always slow and I love the action, but boy this story could use some spice.

first WTF: Midnight is a girl, which i had been wondering for weeks, joking about it even though they had called it a him earlier. It's nice having a chick look like a dude...who looks like a chick... instead of naruto which just have's dude's looking like chicks.

Second WTF: I've been throwing around the idea that there are seven of these dragon slayers, and I figured that in order to fight Natsu, Cobra would have to be a little more elemental. Still, it seems like we're destined to meet all of them before our expected "feast". Half of me would prefer if Luxus had in fact trained under a dragon, just so we can run out of these dragon slayer surprises faster.

Revelation34

[5]Aug 27, 2009
    • level: 7
    Ranemoraken wrote:
    Well, I had two WTF's this chapter. In any other manga, I have "oh Snap!" moments, but in this series I have high hopes. These high hopes are continually shattered. I know shonen manga is always slow and I love the action, but boy this story could use some spice.

first WTF: Midnight is a girl, which i had been wondering for weeks, joking about it even though they had called it a him earlier. It's nice having a chick look like a dude...who looks like a chick... instead of naruto which just have's dude's looking like chicks.

Second WTF: I've been throwing around the idea that there are seven of these dragon slayers, and I figured that in order to fight Natsu, Cobra would have to be a little more elemental. Still, it seems like we're destined to meet all of them before our expected "feast". Half of me would prefer if Luxus had in fact trained under a dragon, just so we can run out of these dragon slayer surprises faster.

It is unknown if Midnight is a girl or not. Only ONE scanlation group has ever called them female.
    Edited on 08/27/2009 4:02am

Ranemoraken

[6]Aug 31, 2009
    I figured that might be the case, and I haven't looked at the raws to see if one pronoun over the other is being used. Sometimes it's kept ambiguous on purpose (ashura-o from Tsubasa for instance) and sometimes translators make assumptions.

Ranemoraken

[7]Sep 9, 2009
    I forgot to post last week, so this is a double post on my thoughts.

First chapter - I'm not big on one-shot victories, but there was a little back and forth between the two. I'm sure that Natsu and especially happy are going to be done because of the poison. It was a new and interesting way to defeat a badguy though, so credit is due. I'm also interested in the fake dragon slayer bit.

Second Chapter - well, this continues on the WTF thing that's been going on every week since the start. Midnight is getting pwned...and Brain is getting nailed to a wall. I'm so confused...What the hell is going to happen next week? There's so many surprises, that I can't help but feel happy and yet perplexed. The villains here are not quite grand, and to start off losing in their fights...is just what the crap.

The only reason Brain shooting Cobra is forgiveable is because Brain plans on making Natsu his pawn. So his shooting his own man (as opposed to shooting the hero) is forgiveable because he wanted to save a valuable resource.

Ranemoraken

[8]Sep 18, 2009
    Well, Brain's down and down quickly. It certainly makes an impression on being one of those top ten mages. It's good that Midnight is still holding their own, as we'll have some more fun. I liked the part where he twists the rock to change the direction of the drill.

It's also implied that there's a big bad - which is probably sealed inside Brain. Midnight's feeling a little alone, so unless everyone fights him, I don't see how the next few chapters will play out. Unless someone gets hit by nirvana, that is.

Ranemoraken

[9]Oct 3, 2009
    after a bit of a wait, we find out that Brain's dead and he's taken out most of the heroes. I'm hoping that the anime elaborates a bit on his power. I'd also like to say that Fairy Tail has these characters with their one annoying trait, but for some reason it's not usually funny. Perhaps it's the translators fault...but I think more often that this is the fault of the author, who isn't as capable as Oda. Here's hoping for more depth to the story later on.

Ranemoraken

[10]Oct 18, 2009
    Well, if the story doesn't get you, at least the action is well-above par. Erza gets pushed around a bit, and then in the next chapter immediately destroys her opponent. I'm hoping that Mashima wont reiterate why the magic didn't work on her and let his work do the talking for him. It's a bit more fun when there's less hand-holding.

Nicasso_

[11]Oct 25, 2009
    • level: 19
    Brain just did a Michael Jackson. Well at least now the final boss of this dreadful arc appeared and hopefully it will end soon and we can move on to more interesting stuff.^^

Ranemoraken

[12]Oct 26, 2009
    I was hoping for there to be greater plot developments in this arc, but there hasn't been. Still, there's been enough twists in the convention to entertain me - but nothing towards an overarching goal.

Ranemoraken

[13]Nov 17, 2009
    Well...It's been about three chapters since the last one. We're now at a Natsu vs Brain fight. Natsu's DBZ'ing a bit harder than usual. Brain mocks the power of the dragons. All stuff I've seen before. This arc would have been good under one condition - and that would be if the heroes were to lose dearly. If Nirvana struck the guild, Gerard fell to evil and someone important struck down by Nirvana. Even if Nirvana was destroyed, the trade-off would at least cause me to raise a brow.

But by the storyline's own admission, the battle with Oracion six is a side-story. So none of these villains are going to do anything that would begin to excite me. Don't get me wrong, I buy the mangas that are being released here in the US..but that might stop unless some serious developments occur. Most Shonen take about 180 chapters to find that magic moment - so the deadline is fast approaching.

Some examples of the 180:
    ***SPOILER***

X-626

[14]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 51
    I see a few outcomes for the events of the current chapter:
    1. Gerard goes peacefully and hopes to start anew.
    2. The mages of Fairy Tail or Cait Shelter decide to watch over him, and it's accepted.
    3. Gerard escapes somehow, possibly due to Erza and/or Natsu creating a diversion.
    4. Someone evil abducts Gerard in hopes of turning him evil again, but I think the Gerard story is over for now, so I don't think this one will happen.

Personally, I think the next story arc is going to be Natsu-related. So far, we've had an introductory arc for the main cast, a Gray arc, a Lucy arc, an Erza arc, a Luxus/other guildies arc, and now an arc focusing on Gerard and Lucy. Natsu seems due for an arc where he is the main focus.
    Edited on 11/29/2009 11:11pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Ranemoraken

[15]Nov 30, 2009
    Indeed - and at this point, Gerard turning evil would be pointless and terrible. The author may be able to do it again later - but that isn't the case. Of course...how the six were able to bring Gerard back is a question unto itself, one that might never be answered...

Anyway, it started off well, with some promise. Ultimately though, these badguys were distraction badguys and had no chance of leaving any lasting effect on the cast. Hopefully, the next group of badguys will result with some actual trials here.

Ranemoraken

[16]Dec 7, 2009
    New chapter's out. I give the author kudos for the less conventional ending. I also liked gerard's naming of Erza. It's all but assured that Wendy was saved by Mist Gun and not Gerard.

I don't think I mentioned it here but Hoteye's brother being Wally was an easy transition to make long before it was revealed. (this was thrown around a bit on the OM forums.)

Ranemoraken

[17]Jan 11, 2010
    Chapter's out. Gildarts is back and I like how his face is drawn. He gives a warning to Natsu, and it looks like the hero's up for some background finally. Hopefully, with the injuries Gildarts has we'll have genuine danger for the heroes.

Ranemoraken

[18]Jan 30, 2010
    And...well...not much foreshadowing on the cats...we jump right away into the next arc...Will it be funny - likely, yes. Will it be good? eh...

The comedy is a little to direct for me - I like subtlety. So when someone asks, "hey Kana, you want to do that thing you would normally do in the story?" and her response is "No, I do the opposite now..." and this is repeated a few times, we get the friggin' picture.

deadarknight

[19]Feb 9, 2010
    • level: 7
    wow only a few people in this thread.... anyways i randomly clicked on fairy tail one day to see what it is all about and have to say it is pretty good. I read chapter 1 to 171 in 2 days, the new arc they are in is kinda of strange. I wonder how will Natsu win without magic, Also they said the dragon slayers were not taken away so what happened to the Iron Dragon slayer? (i forgot his name)

Ranemoraken

[20]Mar 20, 2010
    I'm not sure what the plan is with him, but usually when Gazelle is around, I'm enjoying it. It'd be interesting to see more of him.