A Faking It Community
Tuesday on MTV - Music Television
Faking It is a show that think will surprise anyone that watches it. At least with it being 100% better than you thought. Not saying that it's perfect, just that I can't think of many people that were excited for this show with the headline of "Two teen girls fake being lesbian for popularity" especially when banning gay marriage is illegal in over half the states, along with being able to get fired and such. Honestly if it just said it was more about how many things high school make you fake to fit in, be noticed, liked, or something would have made it a little easier to accept not just the lesbian part, but the straight part, certain personas and everything.

But I still decided to watch it and was surprised how bad it isn't. To me it fits in pretty well with the show Awkward. I guess they didn't think the Faking It would be that controversial because Awkward started off with a teen girl having to deal with the awkwardness of everyone thinking she committed suicide when it was just a bizarre accident and teen. Whereas there's the actual problem of teens taking their lives and attempting to do so.

Anywho, not here to rant on teen problems. I'm not even a teenager anymore o.0 But will say if you are on the fence about watching this show. Go for it! There is plenty of witty one-liners, exploring sexuality, it doesn't take it self too seriously, and the show could go a few places. I I mean I'm not aware of any current shows where the main plot revolves around gay teens specifically. There's Glee, but eh. If you enjoyed Glee but moved on or still maybe enjoy Glee and the comedy of it take a glance. There are plenty of teen shows, but not many of them get to be this funny. Even in areas where I thought they were taking a familiar or overused trope the show changed it around and did well.

Is anyone else watching this show? Thoughts?
Thinking of watching it?
Some necessary gifs =)

10 Comments
Comments (10)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Have to admit, I was concerned with the whole fake lesbian thing. Imagine my surprise then, when the show turns out to be sweet, funny, and one bad biphobic joke aside, very well done. Could do very well without Liam entirely, but the rest of the cast are good and Rita Volk should be the big breakout star as she is completely endearing, compelling and adorable as Amy.
Flag
Very good effort ! I am glad someone did this here !

Flag
Full disclosure. I actually started watching it because "it was about a fake lesbian couple" :-) I was thinking I will see one fake kiss and be done with it.

To my surprised, it was really funny. I have not enjoyed another teen comedy this much since Awkward season one. I am certainly not the targeted audience.

I really liked the two female leads and even the gay guy on this one is really good in his acting.

I am recommending it to everyone on TV.com every chance I get.

Flag
I like the simple idea with the school being absurdly progressive.
Flag
It does remind me of the early Awkward days. I've only watched four episodes, and it's definitely a compelling story with lots of potential. Amy is a great lead character, and I imagine watching her come to terms with what she's feeling and who she is (which, by the way, definitely hasn't been cemented by the series in regard to her 'sexuality') will be the highlight of the show. While her problems make her relatable, her differences from a stereotypical highschool girl are refreshing and admirable. She sort of reminds me of a young Liz Lemon from 30 Rock.

There is some aspects the series could work on though. Karma is no where near as compelling as Amy, which is a big problem when the pair are the series' leads. Liam, Shane, and Lauren are underutilized caricatures at this stage. I don't care one bit about Karma and Liam's relationship, or her obsession with him (which is far too similar with what Awkward did with Jenna and Matt). Shane just doesn't have any depth at this stage, and is just 'the gay guy', he seems well-adjusted but I don't know enough about him to be invested with his thin character at this stage. And Lauren is a stereotypical high school bitch at her most exaggerated. She, like all character's initially portrayed like this though, has the potential to become more than that (although I thought the same about Sadie from Awkward). There's also the matter of what to do with the parent characters. Try to have them fully integrated into the cast and give them their own storylines? Better shows have tried and failed, so maybe they're best left to the background of for important scenes at this point.

I've only watched the first four episodes, but I am definitely intrigued by the series' premise and what it can do with Amy, so I'll probably keep watching.
More+
Flag
I totally agree with you on so many of your statements. Amy is a great lead character, Karma not so much. I think when it comes to growth I'm more excited to see what will happen with Shane. He's playing an already out gay teen but can see him coming up with his own growth and dilemma when it comes to 'the gay bff' stereotype.
Liam could be a great character if he wasn't tangled up in Karma, like if he's ever run into struggles of having a gay male best bro. Lauren on the other hand, I can see her character growing, but it will be very similar to characters like her in past shows have but still it'd be entertaining.
I mostly just wish this show got better coverage or something, a lot of people wanted to put it down but it's a pretty good show. I learned with Teen Wolf to give shows a try even if it's MTV and the idea seem kinda horrible at first haha
Flag
yeah, its good show. originally i watched first episode as a time filler, but ended up surprised by it.. and episode 6...
Flag
Not sure those gifs are strictly necessary, but I'm sure they've caused a rise in errr.... interest for some people :P
Flag
I have not been a teen for several decades now... ;-P but it was recommended by one of my nephews so I just went and watched it just for... you know.. to have something more to talk about with my nephews (late teens) and I was very much surprised!

It is very charming, sweet, funny and with very few stereotypes. I found it refreshing and sincere! PLUS my nephews drool about the two main characters LOL.
Flag
It's not the best show but it's pretty good!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members