A Falling Skies Community
TNT (ended 2015)

Falling Skies S03E10: "Brazil"

What a long, strange fina— actually, it wasn't all that long and it wasn't terribly strange. All things considered, despite being a pretty watchable hour of television, Falling Skies' Season 3 finale left us with quite a bit of the same as the season closed. Trading one alien overlord for another, the 2nd Mass struck out for freedom on the surprisingly well-maintained post-apocalyptic highway, sort of how we all assumed they would. In the wake of last week's setback, courtesy of Lourdes the Mole, human and Volm worked together to unearth the Super Cannon and blow the Espheni's Boston tower to smithereens, deactivating the planetary bug-zapper and clearing the way for the Volm's backup ships to swoop in with the victory. Tom got to shoot Karen, it turned out that Anne and their alien baby were alive after all—emerging from the woods as though simply returning from a brief commune with nature—and Cochise and his crew confiscated everyone's guns and herded them into camps to be shipped to Brazil for their own safety. 

After letting that particular plot point digest, I'll concede that sure, okay, Tom and Weaver and the others were justified in their complete and total lack of enthusiasm for the idea. But can we talk about some of the inflammatory terms getting thrown around by the 2nd Mass leadership, though? Weaver in particular seemed fond of using "prison camp" and "concentration camp" to describe the Volm's plans to ship humanity off to Brazil, regardless of the fact that the Volm continued to be presented as genuinely altruistic in their plans for humanity, sincerely thought that offering people a safe haven of sorts would be a welcome gesture, and, most tellingly, backed off of the idea completely when met with opposition.

Or maybe not completely, given Tom's plan to return to Charleston and "warn" everybody.

It just seemed like Tom and his followers were making a mountain out of a molehill purely to justify another season full of blowing up rubber-masked aliens and CGI space ships. The role of humanity in the wake of the Volm's arrival on Earth and the dynamics of two allies with vastly different philosophies is a deliciously complex concept that could've carried the show into its new season without reviving that tired "us vs. them" mentality; it also would've worked just fine when it came to the humans vs. the Espheni, who were very clearly aggressors with no good intentions for Earth's native population. But it seems forced when it comes to the humans and the Volm. 

No, it wouldn't be right for the Volm to just herd the poor, defenseless humans into ships and plunk them down in Brazil with a pat on the head and a promise to beat up those mean Espheni on the humans' behalf. However, given that Falling Skies made a point to show Cochise and his hardass father discussing the human race's "special snowflake" status, a discussion that ultimately led to Papa Cochise changing his mind about sending the 2nd Mass to Brazil after all, it just seems like a stretch to suddenly play up the Volm as our new planetary threat, with a few asides from Tom and Weaver. I just feel like the issues that we've been presented with in the name of conflict could easily be handled in a boring-ass discussion between intelligent adults. If the Volm were truly malicious on the level of the Espheni, then why bother giving in to the 2nd Mass's demands at all? Particularly after everyone surrendered their weaponry; all the complaining in the world shouldn't have mattered.

The autonomy issues raised by the Volm's "for your own good" stance on humanity is definitely worthy of further exploration, and they've earned a place on my list of "stuff I want to see in Season 4," but Tom's quickness to make broad decisions on behalf of the entire species is also on the more Orwellian side of things. In earlier seasons, particularly in episodes that took place pre-Charleston, when the 2nd Mass had no idea what the world outside of Boston and their own little troupe looked like, there were often clashes between the "military" and the "civilians" in their charge. That whole debate over people not "pulling their weight" and the frustration on the part of seasoned warriors like Weaver being forced to deal with terrified non-combatants who were either incapable of or uninterested in engaging with the Espheni provided seemingly endless fodder for underlying B-stories. Even in Charleston, the domestic concerns surrounding food, shelter, and cultural concerns for an entire population of regular Janes and Joes touched on those early conflicts and were never completely resolved. I'm sure that at least a few civilians—maybe even more than a few—wouldn't mind moving farther away from the active war zone left in the wake of the Super Cannon's discharge, but Tom isn't giving them the option to go, as far as we know. Forcing people to stay in one place out of some sort of symbolic rebel gesture (that not everyone may want to be a part of) is just as bad as forcing people into a "safe zone" that they may not want to be in.

I'm also willing to entertain the possibility that I'm giving the Volm too much credit. The episode certainly dropped hints that they aren't the bobble-headed saviors they claim to be: The rebel skitters fled when their ships landed, Karen seemed sincere (for Karen) in her truce, Papa Cochise was a real dick about the relocation at first, and Cochise himself looked like he was sentencing his friends to death when he delivered the news of their relocation. I can easily see the Volm becoming something worse than the Espheni when Falling Skies returns, but I don't believe that the show did a good job of making that threat seem real in this particular installment. Sorry, show. 

On the plus side, I was really glad to see that the horrific laser background that we all wish someone had talked us out of on class photo day in middle school is still getting work. Also, Karen is D-E-D dead and as much as I hated the magical baby storyline earlier this season, magical adolescent messiah Alexis could be interesting, which brings us to my Season 4 wants:

1. A more complex storyline for the Volm and the humans than "ALIENS BAD. HUMANS GOOD." 

2. The 2nd Mass finding Hathaway's group. The fact that this wasn't made a bigger priority—like, as soon as it was revealed that there was an entire other functional U.S. government out there somewhere—always seemed kind of odd to me. 

3. Some sort of Former Worm Hosts Anonymous club. Those crazy kids are gonna need it. 

4. A magical baby story (well, I guess she's a tween now) that isn't awful.

5. The return of the Rebel Skitters. Miss them. <3 them. 

What's on your list? What did you think of this season as a whole? Will you be returning for Season 4?

Thanks for reading, kids! Bye!

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/30/2015

Season 5 : Episode 10

122 Comments
Comments (122)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Everyone who complains about the aliens not squashing the Mass team, well of course you have to suspend your belief on that for most scifi shows.
I agree with all your thoughts on the Volm. I hope they do not make is the Volm vs. the humans now.
Flag
So much for the Volm weapon feeding power into the defense grid to overload it and destroy it. All we saw was a mis fire and collapsed tower. Presumably the rest of the grid is still functioning. I pity any humans who were living in Boston who got squished by the Volm ship.

Secondly, why is everyone wandering down the highway at the end of the episode? What happened to their cars???????????

Flag
love the show ending was a little dissapointing and there were alot of skips that didnt have alot of explaining behind them, like how the volm managed to get their wepon out and on to the boat. but to be honest the whole series was like that. i think the producers could have done alot more maybe made it 15-16 episodes per series ?? but somthing more. all said i loved it and cant wait till season 4 :)
Flag
This show is a complete nonsense from the beginning...
As always, as if a bunch of humans could resist aliens coming from at least another star system, maybe from another galaxy or better, from another plane, and who should therefore have far advanced technology, at least far enough to detect and obliterate any "resistance".
This kind of show, like all others before, is total bullshit.
Flag
This show is a disgrace but for some reason I will tune in next season. What the hell is wrong with me?
Flag
awesome show.
Flag
It was enjoyable enough...I will be back to see how season 4 plays out.
Flag
Love the Rebel Skitters as well... I think it says something that they scattered... That the Volm may not be as forgiving as humans..
Flag
Hated, hated, hated this finale. We're frequently guilty of wanting things that the show clearly isn't interested in delivering, but so many things about the finale felt poorly plotted. The introduction of the Brazil relocation felt like an artificial construction to make the Vohm "bad" and set Jesus...er...Tom Mason et al. back on the road. And this essentially just reboots the show back to the end of S2. And if the Vohm are so worried about the little humans dying, why not give them more than 1 super-alien gun? Or why not negotiate a way to work together that doesn't require them to go their own way???

Argh...it's almost as if the writers didn't know they should have something planned for S4 until the final episode, so instead of a big fight, they moved the climax to the opening scene, blew up the Tower and then made up a bunch of false conflicts (Maggie is jealous of dead Karen and Kal can't believe she shot her!) and called it a season.

Sorry, rant over. So is the show. Falling Skies, you're dead to us
Flag
I didn't hate the finale or the show but I didn't love it or love the show either and I have to think long and hard about continuing next year. Not a surprise that the Volm help wasn't going to be all roses and now we have a hybrid star child. I've seen all these story lines before and seeing some of the kids power doesn't have me counting the days till next summer but then again it's a summer show so will it kill me to give it an hour each week?
Flag
Also...wtf!?!? Were is the black woman that was President while Tom was out? And of course...didn't that woman and Dr.Wilson from House MD make a big deal about the weapon using more than enough power? What's up with that plot?
Flag
There seemed to be some big gap from last weeks episode where the weapon was still buried to it suddenly being a ship and 2nd Mass having separated from Charleston, heading to Boston... I guess the rest of the people are still in Charleston..
Flag
I agree! I thought I had somehow missed an episode in between last week and this week b/c everything was so different.
Flag
me too. Had to read last weeks review to be sure.
Flag
I wasn't surprised - because this show always skips things like this - but why didn't Tom or Weaver asked a simple question "What are you going to do with us and Earth in general when you beat the Esphinis" ??

I mean I get the "don't tell us what to do attitude" but for us viewers it doesn't make sense that Tom and Weaver were so pissed with the idea of Brazil. Why not let the big guys win this war for us? If there is a catch in the end, then please let someone ask about it

Flag
Also let's face it, many humans would be thrilled to go to a safe place and start life over. Everyone is not going to want to keep up the fighting or whatever road they have them going down now.
Flag
This whole episode was weird. Like they hadn't planned out what the Volm's position was before the season began, because it seemed like if they had attacked the Espheni base like two episodes ago and then had a whole autonomy debate last episode and maybe a few more conversations between Cochise and his father about everything, we could understand that the Volm were just treating us like kids who have to learn a lesson and that they really don't understand because maybe their culture isn't like this why we wouldn't be okay with their plan. Like, and really play up how Cochise is now in conflict because, you know, maybe he was the kind of free thinking son (so he was Ben) and this seemed like an easy job to give him but now he likes us better. I don't know. I also watched clearly part one of three of Teen Wolf's mid season finale last night and just felt like this season ended without having a clear plan from the beginning.
Flag
As a Brazilian, I'm very glad to know that in the case of an alien invasion, only the United States are gonna get hit and be in danger of being enslaved and destroyed. Go Brazil!
Flag
LOL same here..Go Pakistan
Flag
Haha i wonder how they feel about Ireland.
Flag
I quite like Ireland. :)
Flag
Toinks a million. haha
Flag
I think Brazil has been safe in this war because the Espheni are geographically challenged and can't find Brazil on a map. To them everything south of the border is "Mexico".
Flag
LOL
Flag
The conversation between Cochise and his father at the end squashed any notion of the Voln being oppressive or evil. They plainly said that it is against everything they believe in to allow a native species to be placed in harms way. The reference to the humans "Dying" under protection in Brazil was obviously metaphorical, and was meant as a death of the fighting spirit the humans posses and did not allude to poor camp conditions.

Also you cannot compare the encampment of Jews or the Japanese to what the Voln where offering. The Jews and Japanese where imprisoned not for protection but due to malice and distrust towards them. What the Voln are offering is asylum, remember until they came along all the humans where able to do was run away and maybe kill a small patrol with one or two mechs, and in a war they would basically be useless and them fighting in the Voln's opinion will only bring needless death to the humans.
Flag
I`m so glad to see the profound understanding from a person who definitely has brain to look at the Volm from the other point of view! I still hope for their cooperation in some ways. Humans without Volm weapons are the easy prey.One gun from Cochise doesnt count.
Flag
I actually disagree. If you've been fighting for freedom like the 2nd mass have and don't yet know enough about the enemy to trust them, then being stripped of your arms at gunpoint and sheparded to a designated area isnt a good idea. I think it was Pope who said something like ''the voln did what the fisheads couldn't''. The end result could be the Voln owning the world bar brasil, leaving the humans fish in a barrel.
Flag
Not disappointed with the season finale but this show has way more potential. Sometimes I feel that the only reason I watch this show is based on the premise that it will get better. Its the end of season 3 and I'm still waiting. I like the cast, I like the idea of Volm vs Espheni vs Humans... writers just need to deliver better plots (per episode) with less plot holes (at this point its just funny to think about them) and better develop the main characters. I'm hoping season 4 will solve these problems.
Flag
The most tragicomic moment: when the Espheni Tower goes down and the Volm Complex appears on the same spot. Goodbye puny Enpheni Tower made of scrap materials. Hello, mighty uber-tech Volm Metropolis. Ha, silly humans, I want to see you destroy that!

There was such a huge gap between the end of the previous episode and the beginning of this one. Last thing we knew, the Volm weapon had been buried under tons of rubble, all Volm engineers were dead, and they didn't have any idea how they would operate it and what plans to follow. Then, all of a sudden, all these problems had been tossed out of the window and they were ready to go.

So, just like Pope said, since it was Hal Mason kidnapping his father under the Espheni worm influence, they went all "Don't shoot, it's Hal!" And OK, they kept Lourdes around as an infected pet because it served their plans somehow. But poor Karen, no love for her. In every story there's somebody who will irrationally protect their loved ones even after they've become evil zombies, vampires, meth heads, whatever. But not a single soul was there to remind everybody that Karen could be a victim just as much as Hal and Lourdes had been. Shame on you, Hal. Is that how your treat your ex-girlfriends?

I know that the story works better if the villain has a human face. For instance, BSG had Baltar as traitor to the human race. But the Karen character was not well developed enough to make that transition from rebel to traitor believable, so she just seemed like another victim to me, but everybody conveniently forgot that for the sake of the story. And, by the way, the actress is not impressive enough to make a compelling villain, even though she was not bad in the role.

I mean, it was funny how Karen came with that white flag bearing gifts, trying to convince Tom and Company about her sincerity, but still speaking in that same paced, monotone way: Karen dear, you're still being creepy, and that won't help you!

The whole relocation thing was still confusing and we were not given enough information to have a proper idea. So, the Volm were going to relocate Tom, Weaver, and all the others just like that? What about the people in Charleston? Even if the Volm considered that a done deal, wouldn't they expect the humans to organize themselves for the trip? And considering the majority of people (I think) were in Charleston, wouldn't it make sense that the Volm would want to involve as many people as possible in their relocation plans?

And what made Tom and Weaver think they could speak in the name of all the New United States? Shouldn't they have consulted their president first, taking the issue to her for discussion? Not to mention Hathaway's group, which is another government entirely.

The thing is they opened a whole Pandora's box with this new story line, which would consume much more time than they had. There would have to be be discussions, possibly those in favor of relocating would choose some representatives to be taken to Brazil to investigate the conditions they'd be living in, etc.

And I'm not even trying to think how on earth Brazil could be such a safe haven. Usually all those invasions and cataclysms (99.9% of the time) only occur in the USA and we know nothing about the situation in other parts of the world. But the way they put things, that didn't make much sense.
More+
Flag
MaryAnn, I'm pretty certain there are more than a few Native Americans and Japanese-Americans who would disagree with the idea that forced relocation, no matter how "benevolent," is a "molehill."
Flag
Staff
That's true, but as soon as the show made a point of showing that the Volm were actually sincere about their intentions (for now) and legitimately confused about why the humans wouldn't want to be in a guaranteed safe spot, I personally found it hard to sympathize with Weaver's ranting, especially after the Volm let them go on their way after all. Invoking the Holocaust, an ACTUAL horrific event, just seemed like a cheap/lazy way for the writers to make us fear the Volm without actually writing them as an entity worth fearing. As far as we know, Tom and Weaver never even asked their people if anyone WANTED to go to Brazil, effectively forcing possibly reluctant humans to keep living in a war zone.
Flag
And 19th- and 20th-century Americans were just as sincere and just as confused ("legitimately" is debatable; one could argue that the confusion came from an arrogance about the people who didn't know what was good for them, or like our own politicians are saying now, "don't know what we know") why those poor, ignorant savages didn't want to move from Tennessee to Oklahoma or why those nice Japanese-Americans didn't want to go from their homes to those safe interment camps. Tom's a military history teacher, for crying out loud; there's no way he's going to let that slide. (And the Volm didn't let them go on their way; Cochise did. The Commander wanted these pesky humans as far from the battle as possible, no matter what they wanted.)
As for going to Brazil, that's not the "safe zone" they're being led to believe. If the Americans were to go they'd only be adding to the overpopulation there; it's more likely they'd go to favelas than to the beach. (Not the places they show you in the brochures...)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I agree with the rewiev. WTF 20 mass - just go to brazil, you got a bunch of civies to care for, no ? This episode was so stupid, magical train wtf, weapon didnt work as promised, wasnt it supposed to be suspiciously superovercharged capable of mass destruction and it cant break 1 friggin metal leg ? Bubbleheads are dicks, as predicted, but not evil. And why did they break protocl, thats not very soldierlike ? Well at least karen got shot, multiple times, so hurray for that. Magic baby and mommy reappearence was super suspicious, so they were just hanging back in the forest alone waiting for karen to call them ?
What do i expect from season 4 ? A conclusive ending and a trailer for a better show.
However heres how its gonna go - bubbleheads will be loosing (which will be against all logic) and humans will come save them. Humans will destroy fishheads for all eternity, the bubbleheads will shake hands weaver will give them a lift back to their ship in his magic train, and they will gtfo back home to admire daffodils. And mason will start rebuilding the civilization. Oh and of course magic baby will turn out to be new fishhead model - they will now start impregnating alien women to make little fisheads instead of using the harnesses, but no worries some1 will find some stupid way to keep the baby from turning full fishead. Unless the last scene of the last episode will be the magic baby turning fishead after the happy ending. THE END
More+
Flag
The second possibility is that bubbleheads will turn out to eat babies or some other dumb shit, maybe destroy liberated planets so fishheads dont come back. Than the magic baby will take over as fishead overlord (since there seems to be vacancy) and will ally with daddy, to kill all the bubbleheads and fix the planet shielding (completely forgetting the radiation part, but who cares about plot details). Earth is saved, fished are suddenly friendly now and help rebuild. THE END.
Flag
Well, this episode was a bit quick and empty.
It looked like they had one hour to pack all the ending stories.

It took all season 1 to pass from very bad to ok during the last episode. Season 2 was ok, with lots of flaws, but the show remained ok to watch. Season 3 has gone up in my opinion, more action, more tension, better acting. I think that in Season 4, they need to add something else, otherwise it will get boring. We know most of the characters, their interactions. Some of them need to go, and some others need to arrive, a bit like in the TWD. In any case, we will see.
Flag
My bet would be that the Volm, having lost their "home", plan to defeat the Espheni and then make Earth their new home.
Maybe the writers are even bold enough to say that the Volm were the first to start a war against the Espheni, thus the possible alliance Karen was proposing.
Either way, i find it funny how this show keeps on insisting that the "human race" is the strongest in the whole universe, i mean, talk about ego!
Flag
What ? No the Volm didnt loose their home i think, in fact they are pretty pissed that they cant go home and watch the pretty flowers there and instead have to go to every asshole of the universe and fight the Espheni.
Flag
I bet the Volm couldn't care less about the fate of the earth. Like they said, many planets have been destroyed in their chase of the Espheni. They probably just want to get rid of the Espheni, and doesn't want to start conflicts with other races while at it. Maybe they are why the Espheni has to roam around the universe stealing other planets resources from the start. The Espheni hacked in to their TV-channels and they took it as a threat?
Flag
Anyone remember the original series "V" from back in 1983-1984?

In that show Earth was attacked by an invading alien species.
There was group of those aliens that didn't like their leaders plans and helped the resistance.

In that show there was a fast growing child too, part human, part alien.

She also had special powers and at the end she (yes that was a girl too) saved the planet.

Although the setting and background stories are a little bit different, the basic outline of Fallen Skies seems to be the same as V.
Now it's just waiting to see:
- what Alexis is going to become and do?
- what the Volm are really up to, although the talk between Cochise and his father at the moment they let the humans go to fight for themselves seems honest in the fact they really want to save Earth.
- will Lourdes be save and show us her beautiful smile again or will she have a severe case of PTSD?

Flag
Yes. Lots of same stuff.

In original V the visitors packed people like meat and stored them in the mother ship. Although they were still alive.

By the way: Hal is annoying!
Flag
V was recently a series that had 2 seasons but was cancelled. I was hoping there were more but it was cancelled.
Flag
Is a shame that such a great show like V was cancelled and this crap still rolls...
Flag
i thought that was a mistake to cancel that show, and just leave it hanging.
Flag
You are referring to the second series, the first one was in the 80s.
Flag
Man, if they are modeling on V they have done such a bad job I didn't realize. They are lifting the least successful parts.
Flag
Meh. It didn't really make any sense. First why is Lourdes still alive? Second the Volm use the humans to fight enough to make a weapon to shoot a leg off of one of the Espheni platforms and don't value their competence in battle enough to do some more heavy lifting? That makes no sense. If they are going to kill them in the camps anyway then just let them fight some of the tough battles and thin their ranks a bit. And then when there are a few of them left, then kill them.

Alexis and the Espheni make no sense. If she is some type of hybrid and the Espheni no that and they no that she can somehow magically defeat their tech then why return her to Tom. If she can beat their tech, then likely she can defeat the Volm's tech. There is no way in hell they would give that kind of a weapon up. No one would.

Speaking of that Anne and Alexis coming back was well just expected. I am not sure if the writers wanted us to truly think they were dead or they are just dumb enough to think that their writing is so good that we thought that. Or that we were supposed to know that and just Tom and company didn't. I don't know but Karen conveniently finding the group was a bit much.

I don't like that Karen is dead. She was fun. Plus what was the point of it. It wasn't Karen, she is still talking for the Espheni and the bigger aliens. So doesn't that mean they can just find another girl to do that. Plus it just seemed like a convenient wedge for Hal and Maggie.

So Hal and Maggie are going to break up. Which I think is kind of good. They were leading up to it with Hal and Lourdes and then Hal and Karen. When Maggie shot Karen, that was great. That was a post apocalyptic WTF by a badass girl that you don't want to piss off. I like Maggie.

The rest was just kind of meh. They are at where they started. Which is all right I suppose. But they need a shake up. They need a few more central characters and the group needs to start listening to Pope more. Since he was pretty much right about everything. And they need to kill off a Mason. Right now the Mason's are untouchable, none of the plots that risk their life are believable because nothing ever happens to them. Without that, there is no suspense. One needs to die. I vote it should be the small one that looks like he is wearing a poodle on his head.

Next season, Maggie needs to break it off with Hal. Maggie needs a bigger role in the administration and leadership. And she needs to smarten up a bit, she should have outed Hal when he was bugged.

One of the Mason's need to die.

Pope needs to give up the rebel attitude and become part of the solution and not just the comedic relief.

Alexis needs to kill Lourdes.

Anne needs to take back over the Doctoring because hopefully Lourdes will be dead or since the bugs aren't in her head anymore. She should no longer be smartened by them. Because she is dumb and should be dead.
More+
Flag
I miss Karen too, guess she was the ex-girlfriend so she had to die :-). Yes, kill a Mason. Regarding Alexis; When Anne was using the Volm technology to free the harness kids they paused to show the "electric tendrils" connecting Anne to the machine. This is what has altered Alexis in the womb and how she can free Lourdes from the worms. How much the Espheni knew about Alexis unique abilities is not known.
Flag
It looks like Maggie is going to break it off with Hal, but that can't happen if you want her to have screen time. Now, if Hal proposes then dies and the Masons decide she is family then that could be a way for Maggie and Hal to not be together and Maggie to have a larger role in the administration and have screen time.

Lourdes will clearly not die, or they wouldn't have just miracled her.

The only thing that makes sense regarding Karen is that the Espheni will not be antagonists next season, but will follow all the demon babies commands, so it'll be humans+Espheni slaves vs Volm, though MaryAnn is right, they didn't set that up very well.
Flag
I'd be ok with Hal dying.
Flag
In comparison I just watched the season 2 finale of Continuum...and oh my effing gosh, that was good.
Flag
Overall the episode was okay, old plotlines wrapped up, new plotlines beginning. Nothing too extreme happened to keep me anxiously anticipating next season. I do think it was odd that EVERYONE with 2nd mass wasn't even willing to LISTEN to the possibility of being sent to Brazil. No one knows what it is like there, Weaver and Tom shouldn't have assumed what it was going to be like and they shouldn't have made the decision for everyone. For all they know the beaches are still beautiful and people are living together in harmony. By flat out denying the Volm's offer they could be hindering people from moving forward with their lives. Not everyone is or wants to be a soldier.

Now that Karen is dead, shot first by Tom and then finished off by Maggie, I wonder how Hal will be next year. I understand why Maggie did what she did, but Hal loved Karen, and the look on his face while Maggie blasted bullets into her, was both shock and sadness. It had to be done, but I think a part of Hal wanted it to be him that killed her. I see some strain in Maggie and Hal's relationship going forward.

I expected Alexis to have a growth spurt, and she is really adorable so I will let the baby turned pre-schooler go for now. She can expel eye worms and crush them into dust, I am interested to see where this goes.

I will be back next year, hopefully the story writing gets tighter.

More+
Flag
This was really bad.
Flag
wait, so the Volm couldn't help deworm Lourdes? They gave the technology to get the harnesses of the children easier, but nothing to deworm someone. Volm are dicks.
Flag
The rebel skitters are the ones who had the technology (see: weird pill thingy) that "de-wormed" Hal (lol @ de-worming).

I don't understand why Ben just didn't hit up the rebel skitters if they wanted to de-worm Lourdes. I mean, at first I thought they were all dead (since we saw good old "Red Eye" die, and I figured that meant they were all dead); however, Ben mentioned in this episode that they're still around.

So, why he didn't hit them up for that pill-thing is beyond me. Unless they were all fine with Lourdes suffering horribly so they could bait Karen (sounds like something the Masons would do, right?).
Flag
I wondered this also. Perhaps the rebel skitters had run out of de-worming capsules or maybe it would have taken too many to dispose of that many worms. But also, Lourdes was the one that administered the capsule to evil Hal. I don't suppose she could administer it to herself. Mostly, though, I think they just wanted to use her as bait.
Flag
ok
Flag
I'm annoyed by the things they skipped to rush us to the ending. The writers needed another episode, and probably another class or two in Plot Crafting 101.

"Oh no! The Volm device is buried deep in a hole!"

~cut scene~

"Hey Tom! Good thing we somehow found a way to dig out, remove, and transport the Volm device to a ship! And also that we had people qualified to pilot the ship all the way to Boston from Charleston! And also that we got a train moving for our plot to distract Karen, and that the tracks were clear, and that somehow Weaver and crew made it back here in one piece when they looked totally outnumbered, and that apparently Cochise's soldiers saved them! I sure didn't need to see *that* exciting battle!"

"I'm glad about those things too. Also, that Anne and my daughter are alive. I totally do not need any explanation whatsoever as to why I saw them dead, and now they're back. I will trust them implicitly, because HUMANITY."
Flag
Exactly!!!!
Flag
Spot on, hilarious!!!
Flag
Staff
Yessssss. <3
Flag
How many super kid/alien hybrids can one family have?
I just knew Dr. Worms would kiss Hal and give him wormonucleosis again. Sadly she didn't. Not too long ago Hal delivered Anne and her "baby" to a fish head, now he's looking at Maggie sideways for being heartless.
And what ever happened to President Jeanie Boulet?
Flag
West Baltimore rules!
Flag
I think the 10 episode format and jamming everything (trying) in last couple of episodes has worked for them in the past.. But in the past there were only skitters and the 2nd mass.. and maybe say one or two factors to surprise us. But now, too many stories and characters have been introduced, and they failed to box it all together. Yes it was fast paced, entertaining and I agree that in the third season of a TV show we are supposed to take some things for granted but the first 10-15 mins were just too much.. Made me feel like I missed maybe an episode or two and had to go back and watch the ending of Ep 9.

All of them rejecting the paradise of Brazil seemed quite odd to me.. Agree that they have been fighting all this time, but weren't they fighting for peace and days where they wont have to keep looking over their shoulders constantly? Okay I agree the main characters, leaders wouldn't have thought like that but I think someone from that group should have protested a bit.. people who were tired and who weren't made for fighting all the time.. Also weaver jumping to a conclusion that it would be like a concentration camp without having much info was odd..

The Volm turning out not to be a ray of sunshine was pretty obvious and had seen that coming a long time ago. But glad that they still kept volm as allies.
Next season will be based around the wonderkid no doubt. Also did anyone felt like they were watching ending of star wars when people started dancing around the fire? LOL
More+
Flag
Staff
I definitely think this show could benefit from longer seasons. Even 13 instead of just 10 would give more time to flesh things out and not just leap forward over small, but important details for the sake of getting to our next big plot point (like everything about digging the cannon out, acquiring trains and barges in the middle of a supposed wasteland,etc.)

I totally got a "party like it's the forest moon of Endor" feel during all the celebration scenes! :D
Flag
They could have included such things in a 10-episode season if they had wanted to. They could have skipped the dream/hallucination episode entirely and some filler scenes from other episode. They could have done without the whole search for Anne and Alexis. This would have given them several more episodes to work with. The problem is, they don't *want* to show us how the 2nd mass solves their problems. They just want to show us a few fights, and fill out the rest with people talking about what life is like now, what life was like before the aliens, and what life will be like if we can get rid of the aliens.
Flag
Everything happens in this show so conveniently in order to push the plot along. I'm sure I'll come back for the next season, but I don't have hopes for this show ever being great science fiction.
Flag
Staff
Pretty much. :/
Flag
Wqatching Lourdis is pain was quite unnerving. Props to that actress and the crazy ass bug cgi.
Flag
the Volm are nice dudes (no matter what the show hinted), the humans are stupid and this should have been a SERIES FINALE!

seriously, I vaguely recall thinking this was a good show way back when the 1st season aired. I mean, this is war, and there's too much emotion and contemplation when the obvious choice is to simply ACT! because 'Murica! and shit like that...

also, LOL at the opening scene cuz of the horrible acting by all (including the lead actors). WTF?!?!?

with that said, I'll see you in season 4, show, cuz I always finish what I started.

Flag
Yes, the Volm should have blown up the planet this episode (but it was never as good as "good").
Flag
btw, you can probably rename the community to "The New Resistance" :)
Flag
Staff
We're open to changing the name! If we can get 5 suggestions for new names we can create a poll in the community to let you all vote on a new name! - Jessica, TV.com Staff
Flag
Thumbs pu those who think Alexis is going to be the new Overlord next season!!
Flag
So much "WTF" happened in this ep but it wasn't a total waste.

Aww, they killed off Karen.......and Hal was not pleased. I get why he was. I mean, he was in love with her and she was already dying, were the extra bullets really necessary? Looking at you Maggie.

Speaking of Hal, how sweet was that scene between him and Lourdes? Aww. I think I've found my new 'ship lol.

Glad that we have Anne & Alexis the Wonder Baby back. And of course she would show up aged *eyeroll* and of course she would have super powers *double eyeroll* but she is adorable so there's that lol.

I'm confused. If the Volm and the Espheni are gonna be fighting, what is the "new resistance" gonna be doing? *shrugs* Whatevs.

Will I be back for season 4? Yes.
Why? No idea but I'll be here.

What do I want for season 4?
"1. A more complex storyline for the Volm and the humans than "ALIENS BAD. HUMANS GOOD."
2. The 2nd Mass finding Hathaway's group. The fact that this wasn't made a bigger priority—like, as soon as it was revealed that there was an entire other functional U.S. government out there somewhere—always seemed kind of odd to me.
3. Some sort of Former Worm Hosts Anonymous club. Those crazy kids are gonna need it.
4. A magical baby story (well, I guess she's an tween now) that isn't awful.
5. The return of the Rebel Skitters. Miss them. <3 them." <<< This! Also, Hal & Lourdes. I watched the ep twice just to see their scene :)
More+
Flag
Someone tell the writers to stop ripping off V (the original not the terrible remake I wish I could forget) with their Starchild BS please. It was bad then, and it's worse now.

Serious shark jumping was had by this episode.
Flag
Say whatever bad things you want about FS (and I do, regularly), but the remake of V was one of the very worst things I ever saw on TV. FS almost looks like Masterpiece Theater by comparison.
Flag
I saw this first because it finished downloading before my 6 other Sunday shows. It was OK for a Falling Skies episode. Everything turned out as expected in a very casual, non-dramatic way. That was pretty lame actually, but at least it wasn't a complete waste of time.

There are lots of details I could complain about, but I'm tired of complaining about this show, and I see that others are already saying what I'm thinking.
Flag
I forgot to mention, I liked the special effects. I'm glad someone is doing an adequate job.
Flag
Staff
I will totally agree that despite the laundry list of flaws Falling Skies may have, the effects rarely disappoint me. They're pretty impressive.
Flag
I loved the entire episode, right until the ending. I felt very let down on having an epic season finale. An alien-human hybrid baby pulling out the "worms" and destroying them should have been something awesome, but considering there was very little visual effort on ever trying to get the worms out, I can't consider that as an effective ending. Had we seen them try things; (off the top of my head) medicine of various types, do sleeping pills have an effect, do stimulants, minor electroshock therapy to try and zap them out. I feel like they glossed over trying to get them out of somebody or trying to develop a test for them being in somebody and then expect the finale to have potency.

Rating it against Season 1 and Season 2 finales, I'd say this one is a soft 3. First season we had Tom getting on the enemies spaceship. It left us with 'what will happen to him?' 'what will the 2nd Mass. do?' from that moment. It also gave us the heroic feeling since he was doing it for his family. Season 2 left us with a new alien ship landing and giving the 'friend or foe?' question and wondering how this new alien race will effect the war.

Season 3 ending completely loses compared to it's predecessors. Well, it won't deter me from watching it next season, but it's just leaving a disappointed feeling after finishing watching it.

More+
Flag
I'm glad that the super Mason hybrid kid has the ability to de-worm our intrepid warriors. That should put an end to the body snatchers sub-plots which have really begun to annoy. Assuming, that is, our home-gown ET remains on the side of the angels ...
Flag
Oh, it is good news to be able to potentially get rid of those things, but I don't think it's sufficient enough to say that it should have been the last scene for the entire season.
Flag
I would have been happier if they'd done it at the beginning of the season. I believe the original "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" was about 50 years ago. You can only do so many variations on a theme before it gets tedious.
Flag
Flag
Turn It on Again And We Will Fly Away To Brazil…
If anyone wonders why the show “Caprica” was DOA well this episode’s author is in fact the reason why Remi Aubuchon.Is without a doubt one of the most inept writers of Science Fiction actively writing today.Which is saying a lot about since the SyFy channel has a made it a goal of theirs to produce some of the worst science fiction material on the small screen in history!However, there is a special place in hell for writer likeRemi.It is somewhere next to the beast itself!This episode was just pointless.For a season finale it felt as it were supposed to be a two-hour special that some one accidentally forgot to air the last all important hour of during the broadcast. It was as if the writer felt that we should get the a collection of the greatest hits of things: 1) BIG BOOM,2) DECOY,3)BIG TWISTS, 4) GOOD FRIENDS,5) HARDCORE JOKER…6) BIG REUNION and of course 7) I TOLD YOU SO!But without any real details to these events it felt as if the episode merely was designed to play out all the loose ends in the script without actually giving any reason why they are now resolved.
For example the episode starts off with a Train Decoy—and once again I have to ask do the writers actually think anything through about what an Alien capable of travelling across the galaxy would be able to do to a terrestrial target like a train?The Aliens control the air and space.So why would they not use aircraft to attack the train?Sort of like this footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28CjdrKr6Xo
A guess the writers’ feel that the Espheni should be the least capable strategists and tacticians of all time? Damn Human Logic right?This should have been a simple attack on the train from the Espheni Aircraft and end of Pope, Weaver, Anthony and Loudres!However, that was not the case.Why because critical characters like Weaver never get killed off in the season.
Another great example of lazy writing is the fact that Espheni know the humans are out to attack at least one structure they’ve created. So you would think that Karen might actually do something intelligent like have satellites track the movement oflarge objects i.e trains, trucks, and even ships—thus destroying them again with AIR POWER!Oh wait that would be asking for the writers’ to actually not write lazy successes for the big W in the Human column.
You really want me to believe that Karen doesn’t have sats doing recon across the entire East Coast of America? And that some how a large barge sailing up the coast was thought to be a normal occurrence? When it doubt destroy it! Simple rule. It isn’t like theEspheni are worried Galactic bad press.So major collateral damage is not a concern for their strategy.But hey we supposed to believe that the Espheni wouldn’t ever think that a barge sailing up the coast of the US isn’t odd at all. In fact I don’t think the Humans would be using that to transport a large weapon at all.I mean that is just crazy!
And of course the writers of this series are still stuck in pure wannabe“Lost” mode so they have to have a big twist!!!Oh wait the Volm they are so altruistic nature that they would never let the indigenous people fight for themselves.That makes sense!If this war has been going on for centuries and the Volm forces are spread as far and wide as they must be across the Universe—it would make perfect sense for them to recruit and use indigenous populations in the fight against the Espheni.After all the Volm could be looking at a hundred year lag time for getting reinforcements. So it makes perfect sense to set up the population with weapons and a manufacturing base for their development and use them to augment the Volm forces! Not to mention the fact is that Volm would need bases to continue this war any from.
My question is this Brazil?Why Brazil?Did the Espheni in their conquest of the Earth look at the Brazilian people and say—Yeah We’ll Get You Guys Later???It doesn’t make any sense that South America would not also be full of Espheni forces as well? After all the idea is to take over the planet entirely! So that means you usually have to take over every land mass! But I guess Brazil was spared for some reason—once again Alien Logic is so advanced that it makes Human Logic seem well primitive!Or it could be that writers like Remi Aubuchon are just not good at writing at all!
I’ve got a feeling that Alien Baby Alexis is going straight into the clichéd world ofV. Remember V the Final battle? Sure you do!You know it was great the little girl was half human and half alien should do magical things like growing at an increased rate and she could stop explosions.And this little girl can save you from alien bugs and who knows what else.I mean it seems like the writers have decided to use every poor troupe of science fiction from the last half century!I cannot wait until this kid can do shape shifting and telekinesis.
e.ghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_rX8Z47zqU
I have to say I liked the entire killing of Karen in this episode to a degree.The degree was that it was great to see her get shot. The problem was that scene made absolutely no sense.For example if you have been torturing a person and told him or her that you killed his or her family—do you think that you want to just show up in an open field with a white flag?I think not.You might want to start off with the safety of the family first. You know bring them out as an insurance policy against the potential violence that you other wise encounter. After all people have often rationalized the trading of lives as long as there goal is accomplished. Again I guess alien logic never takes into account these little things?Other wise why would we have a series?However, I couldn’t help screaming HARDCORE JOKE when Margret shot Karen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9mET2oDRBI
MICKEY MOUSE… M I C K E Y M O U SE--Who’s LEADER OF THE CLUB THAT’S MADEFOR YOU AND ME??? MICKEY MOUSE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKsa4TPELqI
Sadly, however, this episode just sort of killed Karen off so it could be a stumbling block between Margret (The Hardcore Killer) and Hal (the naïve solider boy who thinks this war is going to be over soon) in the future.I guess when you father shoots her it is okay but when your hot girl does it is such a turn off?
Speaking of the entire Hal post war fantasy about suburban living is really weird. I mean does this character not see that every major city is a pile of rubble.It is not like people are going to come home find a little house in the Suburbs and live out the rest of their lives doing 9 to 5 jobs like some post-WWII propaganda film about G.I Home Comings! It is going to be a hard life in the post war era. It will be more like living in the early 19th century in a frontier town.So I’m sure that Margret will get plenty of reasons to use her GUN to save the day.So, I want to know why now all of sudden they want to separate Margret and Hal? I mean why is this happening at this point? I feel that it needs a little more exposition don’t you?
And then it ends with the gang going to Charleston to round up the troops and move away to find the other US resistance forces!Of course this time they will be ALL human? I guess that means they won’t use the Rebel Skitters either? Which makes no sense.They should all join together against the common enemy the Espheni.
However, this episode ends with the simple truth that Humans are good and Aliens bad!Except for the hybrid girl named Alexis!Speaking about hybrids, what about the once harnessed kids do they count as Humans any more? It will all have to wait until next Summer!
It’s been fun.The Show Didn’t Disappoint—It was Still As Crappy As EVER!
More+
Flag
Ouch!!
Flag
Very fine points.I am flabbergasted at how many people who are not really into science fiction or understand it tend to under estimate the true fan's intelligence.More than any other literary genre, science fiction has attracted the smartest section of the population, the ones with the highest college degrees and most likely fill the jobs in all the fields of science.Our professions is to think and finding solutions to major scientific issues and we are lucky that the great writers of the field have all in their own been great philosophical thinkers, who posed and tried to answer the most fundemental issues of our humanity.
Clearly, these writers, except maybe Harlan Ellison and Richard Matheson, are not driven to the TV media. So we have Remi Aubuchons to deal with, and that's the way it is.Their job description seemingly is to fill an hour of entertainment which happens to be in the science fiction category, instead of offering a genuine well thought position on an issue at all.The one I blame, though, is Steven Spielberg who should know better.
This all reminds me of the first Alien movie.I remember clearly how my friends and I all came to the conclusion that the crew had to put their suits on and open the ship to get rid of the Alien within minutes of its appearance, and had to be shushed by the people around us in the movie theater.Of course it took the end of the movie for it to end that way.Some guys were really mad at us five because they thought we had already seen it and spoiled it on purpose for them.The fact is we all read the science fiction canon and it made sense to us immediately.
More +
Flag
Spielberg is the DEVIL!!!! His science fiction is always light weight stuff; something of a cross between "The 900 Blows" and "My Favorite Martian". I know that already. However, who I blame are people like Aubuchon and his writing room for episodes like this. The writing of an episode like this just defies all logic. In fact that is why I keep on bring up the quote from Cochise in the first episode that "human logic is not like alien logic" because it is so funny.

The first thing is that the Aliens seemingly kill every Human defense in the initial invasion then some how the very same weapons work for the Rebels? How is that possible? How is it that the untrained and unprepared human rebels start to fight back so against an enemy so superior to themselves is impossible. This is especially true when one takes into account that the aggressor doesn't have anything stopping them from using weapons of mass destruction on troublesome populations. This war should have been over in 4-6 months. The Aliens round up all the kids they want to turn into alien hybrids and then nuke the rest of the planet. End of story.

I've never been a big fan of Alien( or the Franchise) but I agree with you the simplest solution to the problems are often over looked in science fiction because of stupid reasons. In the case of FS the question is why didn't they build the big super weapon near target of choice? Or at least make a weapon that seems more portable. I still cannot figure out what was supposedly so fantastic about the weapon?

And then you have this entire altruistic stance by the Volm.... what is the point of that? It seems to me that yes, the Volm would want to set up a safe zone in some area. Because that is where you put the non-combatants of the human population and use them to produce weapons and so on for the cause. That makes sense. Not to say you're out of the war. That makes no sense.

Also why is it that the Humans are so special with the fighting? That isn't true-- the Volm themselves fought back. So basically the Volm and the Humans have a similar belief in their species right to exist freely. I think the Volm would want to build a bridge based on that and use this to create an alliance with the Humans. It seems to me at least that this war with the Espheni is going to be a long and arduous task so they might want allies in the cause. Oh wait damn human logic again.

My prediction is that by season 4 mid way into the Volm and the Humans will be bosom buddies again.

More +
Flag
Frankly if I were an alien force invading another planet, I'd either use neutron bombs ( which humanity at this point has already developed), bacterial warfare with a rapidly mutated virus of their own or if I wanted to be creative and roundabout, diverge an suitably massive asteroid towards the said target.Unfortunately destroying life on a genocidal scale is easier than people think, with our delicate ecology.My "favorite" would be the virus solution, which is send well in advance using probes which annihilate all life on the said planet even before the invading ships arrive to take care of the very few survivors.This also answers your correct comment on the size of weaponry.
Equally, I agree that it is poor writing indeed to consider that some parts of the world are less exposed to Alien invasion than America. Revolution used Cuba and now FS uses Brazil.Personally I thought about the Terry Gillian movie when this was revealed and I am still not certain this was not the source. Btw, this is also the case in Defiance,as well. I honestly don't think this choice is more complicated than that.this in itself is the measure of the sad state of affairs of the field.
The Voln's altruism bothers me as well.In human history, though, you have the example of the Ottoman Empire which was built and survived because it used the principle of tributary occupation.This principle states that the conqueror leaves the entire freedom of legislation, politics,social advancement and economics in the hands of a local leadership with the provision that this leadership will send a specific tribute in monetary, agricultural, and merchandise to the conquering force. It works because the conqueror will make sure to make the neighbouring states the same deal but ask in tribute items that can only be found elsewhere, which maintains the pressure where it should.this had already existed in the Assyrian Empire, which seems to have invented it.I think this along the lines of the Voln' strategy.Help the people of the local planets to "liberate" themselves and then present them with the bill.
More +
Flag
Did anyone else see the train and the ship and think that you had missed and episode or two? Where in the world did they get all of those resources? Anyway, ding dong the witch is dead, Karen is dead!!! And Anne and the creepy baby are back - totally expected that. I also expected Alexis to have had a growth spurt. I did NOT expect her to be able to cast a spell that makes eye worms fall out of people. Freaky!! I will be around for season 4. See you guys next June.
Flag
Staff
OMG, I absolutely thought that I had either popped in the wrong screener or mine was defective or something when we just jumped in on the random train/ship action. Really jarring.

I expected the growth spurt too; I'm okay with it though. Interested to see where the magical eye-worm extraction goes. Hoping it means fewer mole subplots. I was getting really sick of them.
Flag
I have a feeling that Alexis' "worm extraction power" is just the tip of the iceberg. Calling it now: Alexis is a Human/Espheni hybrid overlord-in-the-making.

It would explain her powers, and it gives the Masons (because who are we kidding, this show is now about a single family and not the remnants of humanity) a viable reason to, at some point, go against the Volm (I'm assuming the Volm will want to wipe out all traces of the Espheni... which would include Alexis).
Flag
I'll get on that bandwagon with you.
Flag

haha, yes!
I also thought I missed something but I said screw it and kept watching cuz this show is inept so I figured they rushed things cuz it's a season finale. good thing too, cuz I don't want to see and episode dedicated to how they acquired the train. just let 'em have a train, and a ship, and whatever else they need to finish the job.
Flag
Yeah, I definitely said to myself, "Train? Barge? Huh? What?" Not only that, but I scratched my head wondering how they removed all the vast amounts of debris to uncover the Volm weapon *and* managed to lift it up and out and get it onto the barge. Maybe they had their own battalions of harnessed slave laborers.
Flag
Oh, yes, with all the Volm engineers dead, they weren't even sure they would know how to operate the weapon. At least the writers tried to create some suspense around that idea. All uselessly.
Flag
I thought the exact same thing. Even jumped online real quick to make sure I hadn't missed an episode.
Flag
Flag
IKR??? If they'd had trains and barges BEFORE....I mean, WTF??!? It's a shame that this show is drowning under the weight of all the poor writing--it had real potential. The actors even have WTF looks on their faces in the middle of scenes, and that's bad. They're trying, but they have shit to work with. And I have to say, when Tom was running around in the woods and that light hit his face? I just KNEW he was gonna be abducted *again*. At this point, I'm just hate-watching. I don't really think I'll be back for Season 4.
Gotta go--my eyes rolled so hard during this episode I gotta go find em now.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members