A Falling Skies Community
TNT (ended 2015)

Falling Skies S04E02: "The Eye"

With everyone's friendly neighborhood vigilante Tom a.k.a. Ghost terrorizing the Espheni guards of the Charleston ghetto, the overlords decided to empty their prisons of Earth's worst criminals in order to track down the mysterious troublemaker because even when humanity is united against a common intergalactic enemy, its worst enemy is usually still humanity. Way to rip one out of The Dark Knight's book, Falling Skies

Then again, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that. 

Regardless, Tom and Weaver are out and about in the ghetto proper now. Lexie is still a cult leader, Matt is still the bad boy of the Espheni Youth—though the Team Leader seems to have raised an eyebrow—and Annie is still a scary momma bear with a gun. 

Last week's "Ghost in the Machine" was a strong start to Falling Skies' fourth season, placing the show's players on the board and kicking off the newest incarnation of the game. "The Eye" expanded on that front, filling in the blanks of the four months that elapsed between the ambush at Charleston and the current state of the 2nd Mass, particularly where Lexie is concerned. 

Now that she's an active part of the story, what once seemed so obvious—that she's an evil alien monster baby—isn't actually the case at all. Based on what Annie's hostage revealed before she stabbed it in the throat, the Espheni believe that Lexie, "the hybrid," is the new key to their planetary takeover. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean Lexie herself is a willing participant in their plan. Despite looking like a twenty-something, Lexie is still, essentially, a child (and a motherless one, no less). 

Dr. Kadar told Ben that at one time, Lexie trusted him and turned to him during the chaos of her random growth spurts... but that was before her allegiance was swayed by Lourdes, who is either overprotective to the point of fanaticism or totes evil and manipulative. Lexie's lack of real-world experience makes her susceptible to outside influences. She wants peace and she clearly loves her family—well, she at least loves Ben—but she's just as clueless about who and what she is as anyone else. It seems that, even to the Espheni, her role in the conflict between the Espheni and the humans is a big question mark. 

Lexie's end-of-the-episode meeting with an Espheni overlord was shocking, but we don't yet know her intentions—or if she's even aware that she's interacting with them. Maybe she's experiencing something similar to Hal's sleepwalking situation? It's probably tied up in her DNA, hence Lourdes being all batty about keeping Kadar away from her. What I find interesting, however—and this will probably ruin the Espheni's day later on—is that so much attention is being paid to Lexie's alien DNA that everyone seems to have forgetten that she's still part human, and the humans haven't exactly been the most cooperative bunch during this invasion and enslavement. Even the Espheni's terrible harnesses were ultimately overcome with a little ingenuity (and Volm interference, but whatever, the humans got there eventually).

The idea of an alien-baby messiah ditching her prophesied role and saving the humans or something adds a sort of magical layer to Falling Skies' mythology that I'm not entirely sure fits, but it also hasn't enraged me yet, so I'll run with it. Lexie is certainly a game-changer and less of a cop-out that the friendly Volm sweeping in to save the day. Four seasons in, I won't say that Falling Skies is an old show, but it's certainly an established show, and after years of battling and never decisively winning, the story was in need of a fresh perspective. That perspective now lies in the details of Lexie's existence as an Espheni/human hybrid and her relationship with the Espheni themselves.

After four seasons, we still know relatively little about the Espheni, even after some handy exposition from the Volm. However, at this point in Falling Skies' run, it's clear that they're not just a mass of mindless killing machines, and that there are individuals among their seemingly endless ranks. We've encountered rebel skitters, and we've encountered mercenary humans. Beneath the surface of the simple human vs. alien conflict is a complex environment born out of warring ideologies and motivations on both sides of the battle line. 

It appears that Falling Skies is finally ready to take a detailed look at its surroundings, which is great for us, the audience, as well as for the show. A human victory was never going to be as simple as kicking the Espheni out and going back to business as usual. The world—the universe—has been changed. There is no going back. When the humans and their allies inevitably eventually defeat the Espheni once and for all, they will still be a part of this larger sentient universe where the potential for another conflict is always on the horizon. I don't think there's a show out there that hasn't benefited from expanding its universe—and its audience's understanding of that universe—particularly in the science-fiction genre, where the possibilities are truly limitless.

NOTES

– So Annie's a little tense.

– I really prefer Child Soldier Matt to Boy Hostage Matt.

–What are your Lexie theories?

–How much longer does Kadar get to live?

What'd you think of "The Eye"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/30/2015

Season 5 : Episode 10

45 Comments
Comments (45)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
What kind of asshole lists they have a show available to watch online - this "link" does, believe me - then doesn't actually have it available to watch? The answer to that question is real simple: Ad Whores. "www.tv.com" my ass. Very little "TV" to this other than a lame recap of the episode. If we wanted a recap of an episode, I am fairly certain most people would simply Google search for one.

I am so sick of sites like this that advertise one thing but deliver another...or, in this case, not a goddamn thing. This one isn't as bad as many of them - riddled with adware and malware - but it's still false advertising, shitty marketing, and misleading Internet links, all of which are eligible to be brought before a judge to determine damages. Y'all bitches are stupid. Seriously.
Flag
Are you okay, Annie?
Flag
Like many others here, I too would like to know who is the new big bad? No mention of that by the reviewer.

This is one of my favorite show for the past three seasons even with its writing problems. This seasons started off weak. The focus now seems to be on Lexi and I hope Lexi turn out to be a good story. The actress playing her is quite weak too.
Flag
can they make a tv series where humans are the overlords and we go around taking over worlds and watch the struggles and triumphs of the alien races we try to conquer,
we all know the human spirit will win over all else, but what about if it things are on the other foot and we arnt they pesky people who refuse to give up, hmmmm might be onto a new tv show,
Flag
BSG played a bit with that theme in the ever changing conflict btwn the humans and the Cyclon. Just who were the oppressors and who were the oppressed switched back and forth a bit.
Flag
They did, it's called Stargate SG1.
Flag
Actually, no. The Stargate series were about parasitic creatures who took over human hosts and used them to take over other humans. The parasitic creatures were essentially the overlords.

In the sci fi realm, you actually have to look to the movies to see this scenario of humans taking over another culture played out. It was the premise behind the 2009 movie Avatar.

Flag
It was a joke.
But by the end of the series, Earth was a major player. And they had hunted down the Goa'uld. Though they didn't exactly oppress any alien cultures. But there were humans on other planets, that oppressed the Uni.

In Star Trek, they had a alternate universe (Mirror, Mirror), they played out through 3 series. The humans began as the oppressors, then after the empire fell, they became the oppressed.

Farscape is a real good example though. The peacekeepers (humans) oppressed many alien cultures. In Battlestar Galactica, humans created the Cylons as a slave labor force. Of course eventually, the Cylons rebelled.
Flag
I doubt any human viewers would want to watch this type of show. Perhaps the aliens will like it :-)
Flag
As silly as this show is, it is better than Vampires!
Flag
Are Ishveni really afraid of these other big bad guys? Shouldn't Volm know about them? Is Fishead just BSing Tom to get him to get with the program? As others said, if they wanted to enlist humans in their war why open with such massive attack that kills majority of people, enslave most of those who remained, mine planet for resources and then ask humans if they would care to join you.

Ishveni Youth: ugh. OK, harnesses didn't work because reasons. What made Ishveni think these camps will? At least with harness they had control over children, here children could be BSing them from get go. Either Ishveni are just using hit-and-miss technique or some collaborator proposed this for reasons of their own.
Flag
Who is making the Espheni afraid of another alien group outside of the Volm?
Flag
Ok, I take back what I said last week .. I totally got the Lourdes evil vibe in this episode.
Flag
Crap, I've got family visiting from out of town, so I missed the 1st episode and most of the 2nd and I don't know if I'll have time to get caught up. The little bit I saw last night was really confusing, especially Lordes and Lexie.
Flag
All along I've said Lexie creeps me out. She still does. Even more now. Does anyone else have trouble believing the supposed South African dude? Something about him isn't right. I don't think I like this show anymore I'm just sort of watching to see what happens next. Oh and Maggie and just-awake-Mason? (I can't keep them straight) were totally about to kiss. That's gonna sting Hal.
Flag
I very much hate what they're doing with Lourdes. She's no longer in the grip of the Espheni, so why is she acting like a Lady Jim Jones? Is it just because she was established in earlier seasons as "religious", and this is what the writers think religious people do?

If that's the case then as a person of faith, I wish them a hearty "f--- you" and bid them good day. I won't stick around for a view which is a) blindingly ignorant, b) purposely insulting, or c) very poorly explained/dismissed as unimportant.

You better show us that Lourdes has still got some eye worms in her, Falling Skies. Otherwise we're out of here.
Flag
I detested the Lordes character from day one, season one. At least when she was worm infected she didn't walk around with eye-rolling religious observations that came out of nowhere and had no connection to the plot. I thought she was always the worst stereotype of religious people. Like a post-apocalypse version of a Mormon missionary knocking on doors. :)
Flag
Totally true. She was never a good character, but at least I thought they were going to maybe use her to grapple with something other than "bad aliens are bad" as a driving plot point.

When it became clear they didn't have anything written on her character sheet other than "IS CRISTIN JEBUS FREAK", I was grateful that they stopped having her around very much.

But now here she is, displaying the writers' ignorance (or bias) ten times over. Whatever. They can't even keep their own ideas straight; I suppose I shouldn't expect them to give due diligence to anyone else's.
Flag
Falling Skies: the tv equivalent to that disgustingly annoying dog you have at home--you know the one that one eats his own crap and calls it a good meal; the one that, when it's time to fill up again, takes yet another dump and eats it yet again. He always comes away from his experience with a smile on his face. To him, the stuff actually tasted just as good as when he first ate it.

But your little doggie doesn't just stop there, however. After the meal, for good measure, he turns around and licks his own anus. In the Falling Skies world, this is equivalent to the producers turning to their writers and saying "good job, good job."
Flag
Agree with the review below this show is trying to pull the wool beneath our eyes again and does come across as Revolution cross with The Following in its daftness. But this is guilty pleasure I like the the bit in the Nazi Youth camp when Mason Jr was passing messages under the table should'nt it read " U smell " LOL. I do like when Lexie goes all Bonnie Tyler I expect " Turn Around " to be playing in the background. So does this mean Big head aliens are using Bonnie Tyler to fight against a new enemy we have'nt seen yet. Trailer for next episode sees maverick Pope doing the heroe thing trying to bring the fence down I see simalarites to District Nine even got the South African guy in as well anyway have the tinnies ready for the next thrilling episode!
Flag
Personally, I couldn't take more than ten minutes of this episode. So this is how it's going to be, jumping from slum community to hippy compound to nazi youth camp, or something along those lines. So, it's going to be jumping from action plus soap opera to soap opera to soap opera. I could care the less about the hippy compound and the nazi camp that they've come up with in the story. The story lines here seem really old and worn out from use in so many other stories.

They just drag the story out, drag and drag and drag: instead of a tightly written story that's told in a few episodes you have a story being stretched to fill twenty.

So what's going to happen now? Are we going to get a full season of episodes just so the story can get to almost the exact same point where it left off at the end of the previous season, season 3, which was right before the big reset of season 4--almost the exact same spot at which season 2 ended right before season 3 started off with its own big reset? So, if the show survives to season five, are they again going to promise you this big, big finale only to reset everything back to nearly the beginning with the season 5 premiere?

This show's a rip off--it's a con job perpetrated on its viewers. It's the tv equivalent of a shady used car salesman. You go to a used car lot to buy a nice but affordable car, but when you get it home, you find it is actually a complete piece of worthless junk. The next day, you return the car and the sales person again promises that the vehicle you'll be taking home is the "real deal", but then when you get home, you again find it's a piece of garbage--indeed it is basically the same car you had been sold previously that was itself a piece of junk. This is the "real world" equivalent of falling skies.

How can viewers put up with a series like this, that lies to your face about what you'll get if you just stick with it? They've done it twice already. "We'll give you this beautiful brand new experience if you just stick with us." Then they just give you the same crap they already covered twice for the previous two years.

More+
Flag
This is a summer show on TNT network. It's not Game of Thrones. Yes, it's not the best story or has the best acting but I'd still rather watch new episodes of this show than old re-runs. You make it seem like the producers or the network owes us something. Well they don't. With their limited budget & resources, I think this show does a decent job of entertaining us for the summer.

Look at real pieces of crap like Transformers & what they did with an almost unlimited budget. Now people who saw that have a right to complain. They're actually paying good money to see that pile of turd. I would rather watch this mediocre show than pay money at a theater to watch THAT.
Flag
Right to complain? Well, how about the fact that collectively, the viewers are paying for this mediocre show--as you yourself called it--through the commercials they watch--they pay for it through their time and their purchases of advertised products. Shows get cancelled when viewership falls, because to broadcast TV, viewers = money.

You called the show mediocre. Isn't that a complaint?

Also, you make it seem that a person can only review a show like this if they have something good to say about it. But, yet, you just called it mediocre yourself.

And they do "owe" the viewers something--they owe what they promise in their season finales, or else viewers will stop watching. It's as simple as that. Of course, they'll still have viewers who are okay with watching a "mediocre show."

It is indeed something like a game of thrones, because no matter how many times the writers flush, the same old turd keeps floating back.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I recognize the show wants me to question this, but is there something up with Tom? I mean, I suppose the little riot did distract the Espheni guy but I don't see how otherwise Tom would be let go even if it was just a weird little agreement. I mean, the Espheni are clearly trying to get people to one of two locations (Chinatown or the reeducation camp) and so Tom was allowed to leave with a way to get most of the primary fighters and voices of dissidence to leave as one.

Um, was anyone else worried that Lexie was going to kiss Ben? And then Maggie, who seriously I had doubts you were too old for Hal, let alone Hal's younger brother. Anyway, clearly, the Espheni likely didn't factor Ben into their manipulations, sort of like that girl with Anne (who seriously, while I forgot her name, I didn't even recognize her as Ben's friend).

I don't really understand what Cochise and his troop are up to.

But yes, Anne is a little tense.

I like this Matt too, but I do keep wondering, did they forget to look at the kid's parents to have some idea what he would look like when he grew up or did they really just think he reminded them of the kid who plays Ben, or at least he did when he was seven.

Poor Lexie, that is my biggest thought about her. I had two terribly incestuous sort of thoughts thought, while Lexie was on the Espheni ship during Anne's pregnancy, she is Anne and Tom's daughter. So, she is not really a hybrid. I have to think the harness appears to screw with a kid's DNA, I mean they can telepathically communicate with Skitters and maybe still have some tremendous physical skills. A hybrid would seem to be some sort of blending of the two....and maybe they totally meant to just do it clinically and now luckily Ben's awake,.but there could be others.

I actually thought he was a regular, but I believe Ben, Lexie, Maggie and him go on a road trip at some point.
More+
Flag
Last weeks opener was horrible, in my opinion, with acting that was extremely bad. This week was quite a bit better, but Lourdes' character is absolutely unbelievable, and again the whole Hitler Nazi Youth thing is a bit above and beyond. If they wanted the people in the prison dead, they could EASILY do it, and I don't buy the idea that they need them for anything since they said they are assembling "the world's strongest", and how did a mortar fly so high up there? Anyway, a slight step up. Next week looks like it will be fun.
Flag
I stopped watching this series a long time ago because it was too ridiculous for want of a better word. Guess what I tuned in for this epi n couldn't last more than 10mins ( I tried!!!) Its still just as ridiculous.
Flag
I am going along with this new Lexie dynamic for now.. and let's see who the bigger bad is actually... Also someone needs to smack Lourdes upside down though.. I cringe every time I see her face...
Flag
I would love to see a sequel, Skies Rising where humans go out exploring this universe.
Flag
Well I'm interested in seeing who this new enemy is that have the Espheni so scared.

Lexi got some weird blood flowing in her.

Lordi is one crazy religious nutter.

Look like Cochise will be breaking Ben out of his prison soon enough.
Not sure about his girl friend though, he just may let that traitor rot there. Looking forward to seeing these new elite front line troops of the Espheni.
Flag
The Espheni have shitty surveilance.
Flag
Sorry, but this is the worst season I've seen so far. First of all, it makes no sense that Weaver would suddenly crumble (after all he'd already been through). That the Espheni suddenly "give up" the harness plan to go all Nazi is silly. Nazis has been done, over and over again, in scifi (just look at Doctor Who--the Cybermen who want to make everyone into identical man machines, the Daleks whose sole purpose is to 'exterminate'...). And the cliches continue with Neo--I mean, Lexi--the "one" who could save/doom humanity (cue dramatic music).
Flag
Couldn't agree more. This season has gone so off course I'm not even sure what show I'm watching anymore. I mean it doesn't even make sense.

Why are the Espheni even doing all of this? Surely with the humans they have captured they can kill them all and continue with their original plan unopposed.

I can understand the Volm protecting their home base (so to speak) but doubt they would fully leave such a battlefield after all the effort they went through just to get to it.

And the whole thing with Hippy Lexie? Like seriously WTF were they smoking when they wrote this season.

Which is very disappointing. Falling Skies was one of my favourite summer shows. I was looking forward to a world with both the Volm and the Espheni. Not this. Coming from the guy that watched every episode of Smallville I'm not sure I can be bothered with this for much longer
Flag
Smallville?? Oh, Dear. J/k! :-) I love this show, but I think the complete dissolution of the 2nd Mass makes it more scattered, because we're having to follow groups of characters rather than a unit.
Flag
Weaver has always been an emotionally unstable screwup. He's needed someone to keep him on track since the beginning. First it was that General, and then Tom. As for the cliches, try coming up with a similar genre work of fiction that doesn't contain them. How else could they portray an indoctrination camp that doesn't resemble something similar to Fascism or Communism? Also most works of Sci-Fi or Fantasy contain a "The One". Most recently Dominion and Defiant on SyFy have their "The One", or Emma from Once Upon A Time.

I'm not sure there is still something that can be thought up that we haven't seen in one variation or another before.
Flag
Re: Weaver. It might have made more sense to the viewer if he'd been tortured or held in confinement longer than 4 months. And the Espheni "solitary" really doesn't seem that bad--plenty of room, windows, people to talk to on the other side of the wall. If the conditions were more clearly horrible (like real-world solitary confinement), it would make more sense to me that Weaver would struggle to come back to interacting with other people. The show, however, sometimes skips over things to get quicker to the action sequences, IMHO.
Flag
They could have the indoctrination camp celebrating diversity, saying that the espheni are enriching earths culture and will save earths economy because earths population is getting older and we need the espheni to do all the work the humans do not want to do. They could have humans and espheni holding hands and singing kumbaya. And humans who do not like espheni are nazis and afraid of the unknown and has eshpeniphobia. And all that. That would be both funny and edgy political satire.
Flag
What about the reveal that the Espheni are trying to force a team up with the humans in order to fight a new bigger and badder "big bad?" They're going to turn the adult humans into mindless drones! That's a big deal.

Flag
that's one of the biggest nonsense of the season so far. The Epheni killed 99.99 % of manking but now 0.01 % is enough to fight a bigger threat than the Volm? They must have sipped from the Coolaid as well.

Reality check please...
Flag
What make you think that there only 0.01 percent of the population left?
Flag
Well, season 1 implies a huge number of the human population was killed with WMDs before the aliens withdrew their fleet and continued hunting down the survivors with what we see in the other seasons.

A number in the high 90 %s is said out loud in dialogue if I remember correctly.

Doesn't matter really matter. They slaughtered billions of humans with little regards so obviously do not consider them much of an asset but suddenly humans are better than mechs? Nope.
Flag
I doubt even the Espheni know the actual percentage of humans left, but the first two seasons were all about how they were actively killing every human above harness age and quite a bit of exposition was devoted to explaining how successful they were in doing so,
Flag
Not all of the humans, just the ones that resist.

Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    The Bachelorette
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm
    Mistresses Blurred Lines
    NEW
    ABC