A Falling Skies Community
TNT (ended 2015)

Falling Skies S04E06: "Door Number Three"

For an episode that revealed so much about Lexie and the Espheni, not a whole heck of a lot actually happened in "Door Number Three"—and what did happen, well, I like Lexie and all, but now that we're straying into kindhearted alien-messiah territory, I can't help but wonder about what Lexie can't do. The girl's got a new power every week, and they always follow the same pattern: Lexie is perpetually stoned on free love and peace, man;  somebody does something Lexie doesn't much care for, Lexie does something freaky and questionable with some weird new ability, and then everyone distrusts Lexie except for Lourdes, who is kind of a loon. At this point, I can't tell whether Lourdes' lines are written to deliberately make her sound like a crazy alien groupie or if they're just poorly written. "I can't wait for her to come out," with the wistful sigh, gave me the heebie jeebies. 

Basically, Lexie got herself sealed up in some Espheni cocoon like some sort of demented butterfly, and Camp Free Love found itself divided between rabid Lexie lovers and the newcomers. The latter mostly consisted of Hal's crew, who were antagonized by Pope and fueled by Cochise's revelation that what comes out of the Espheni cocoon will most certainly slaughter everyone in sight. At this point, I really hope so. 

Lexie is interesting when there's ambiguity about her allegiance or intention. One of the best moments—if not the best moment—in "Door Number Three" was the showdown between Hal and the rest of his family. To be fair to Tom, he did admit that if Lexie came out of her pod with bloodlust on the brain, he'd put her down to save the rest of the 2nd Mass, even though she was family. But Hal went one step further, arguing that the people in his charge are every bit his family as Tom, Matt, Ben, Annie, and Lexie; and in the case of Lexie specifically, maybe even more so. The uncomfortable aspect of Lexie's relationship with her family is the brutal reality that if we're being honest, they don't actually know her. At all. There's certainly something to be said about unconditional love, but in the context of the world of Falling Skies, to have Lexie's family blindly ally with her in the face of overwhelming evidence that suggest they should do the otherwise would be pretty hard to swallow. The struggle and confusion within the Mason family has made for some good TV over the last few weeks, and while Falling Skies can only drag out Lexie's ambiguity for so long, I can't help but feel like we're going to lose something if she just strolls out of the cocoon and rains down peace and puppies on the warring human and Espheni factions. 

I'm also not sure how I feel about Annie and Lexie's shared memories. They make sense, sure, but they also came off as just one more magical Lexie thing, revealed just in time to keep the murderous hoards away from her giant alien incubator. Plus, who's to say she didn't just totally plant some B.S. memory in Annie's head to exploit her momma-bear tendencies? (Yes, pls.) 

Meanwhile, Ben had a dream about banging Maggie because that's healthy and Annie had terrible flashbacks to losing her first child during the Espheni invasion and if you think about it, it's kind of horrifying how many dead children populate the minds of the 2nd Mass. It makes the decision to age Lexie up a little bit more thoughtful. If the Masons do end up being forced to kill her—which I doubt will be the case, but the possibility is currently on the table—no one wants to see them execute what appears to be a nine-year-old. The fact Lexie should technically still be in Pull-Ups adds a layer of horror to the whole problem, but if we don't think too hard about that, then for all intents and purposes, she's an adult. 

"Door Number Three" amounted to a lot of standing around and waiting, but at least the truth about Lexie has become a little more clear and the Mason family is finally reunited. It's impossible to shake the feeling that something huge is just around the corner—and hopefully, it'll turn out to be something awesome. 

NOTES FROM THE ALIEN APOCALYPSE

What do you think is going to happen with Lexie? 

– Does Pope and Tom disagreeing with each other ever get old? 

– Should we be concerned about the burn on Weaver's hand? 

– I'll admit, there was something sweet about Lexie being the one to free Annie from Karen last season. 

What did you think of "Door Number Three"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/30/2015

Season 5 : Episode 10

43 Comments
Comments (40)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
With happened to the solid show i liked previous seasons?
This is just really slow and painful to watch
Flag
I felt bad for Weaver standing there watching Tom reunited with his whole family knowing he's lost everybody in his. Tom has basically lost no one. Yeah his wife was killed but he replaced her with Anne. That scene was the most memorable for me.
Not sure why Weaver thought it was a good idea to touch that cocoon contraption though.
Flag
After the stupidly of dome we are back to boring skies the merry band arguing with tom repeat , tom arguing with his kids , lourdes being werid . This show needs excitement kill off a few characters otherwise its stuck it got a good idea just poorly excuted.
Flag
Super fast growing children with super powers = bad story. Anyone remember V from the 80's, it was the same deal.
Flag
No story in which human-looking aliens eat live mice could possibly be bad!
Flag
I have nothing against mice eating, in fact I'm all for it.
Flag
It is sad that now no one is defending even their favorite show. I can only say that at least the plot is moving. The family is united and we did not have to wait til season finale.

The Ben/Maggie thing was a good and bad start to the episode just like most stories this season. I was thinking they are finally doing it and then as every cliche goes, it had to be a dream.

I just hope the "lexi out of cocoon" will surprise us and give us some excitement.

Flag
right? who wouldn't want to have a dream about maggie lol!
Flag
I can never remember: Is it a cocoon or a chrysalis?

Robert Sean Leonard’s description of Lexie’s transformation as if she were a butterfly was amusing; I wanted to point out that dung beetles also pupate (and some of them even protect their young).

No one seems to be able to find food, fuel, or decent clothing (except Lourdes; nice shoes), but Doc Kadar can scrounge up a pint of barbiturate formula. Since 3 ml took Anne too far back in memory, shouldn’t she have halved the dose instead of doubling it? “Wow! What a rush! Gimme more!”

I was disappointed that Lexie didn’t take Anne to the volcano zone.

If Tom is going to phase out while the others are discussing important strategy, shouldn’t there have been a point to it?

Ben gets to give the inspirational speech this week, and it (eventually) sways Maggie, who’s been a little soft in the head since meeting Lexie.

Who does Maggie’s highlights in the post-apocalypse? They always look so good.

Hippie types forming a human chain to stop the military types; I was PRAYING someone would Kent-State Lourdes.

“I’m sorry, Tom, that’s all we can tell you about Espheni pupation right now, or else the big conflict/confrontation will happen too early in the show. We’ll return in a half-hour or so to give Hal some crucial information, before we bug out.”

So now the whole Mason family (plus Dan and Maggie) are leaning pro-Espheni, in one way or another. [Hal’s just following his lower head.] They should change their name to Vichy.

More+
Flag
You are on fire this week...

You correctly nailed the two points in the episode where Shaq and then Hal inexplicably withheld the ONE CRUCIAL PIECE OF INFORMATION that could've swayed Tom's mind about Lexi. "The danger is that your mutating pseudo-daughter will excercise mind control and render you unable to stop her in her emerging omnipotence. It's why she's significant in our enemy's continued genocide of our species." There, would that have been so hard?

Also, in addition to Lourdes finding an intact boutique full of dresses and shoes, and Maggie finding a salon, and Kadar finding someone who's holding, the Lexi tried seems to have found something even more amazing: color. All the scenes outside of Chinatown are basically shot monochromatically, even in the daytime, but Chinatown alone seem to have retained the vibrant colors in the world.

Nice post!

Flag
Thank you.

And good point! Are we supposed to (unconsciously, of course) equate Lexi-ton with Oz?

Flag
It might be working - when Anne was going under the first time I started wondering if was she was going to dream of Pope, Maggie and Matt as the Scarecrow, Tin (wo)Man and Cowardly Lion! With Karen as the Wicked Witch of course.
Flag
I really don't expect much to happen with Lexie's character until next season because she appears to be the one that's going to resolve everything.
Flag
When Tom showed up at the meeting, he started loading a gun. He started talking about doing what was necessary, and Pope was running his mouth. I thought for sure, Tom was going to go all "Ricktator", and shoot him in the head. Alas, no such luck. :(
Flag
No mention of the thing Hal seen on the moon?
Flag
Yeah, me too. I thought I looked away and missed something (didn't feel like rewinding to look again; if it was important, the show'll tell you about it several times). What did he see? Or was it just, "Hah! Made ya look!"
Flag
To me it looked like something green was on the moon in a Dome shape. Who knows, maybe thats why Chesters Mill was sealed off! The Dome is a shield/ship that saved the most idiotic people on the planet!

Anyways back to FS, I think it is something important that they are leading up to. IDK if its the Volm, the Espheni or something else on the moon (something like the Star Wars program of the 80s?) I have a very strong feeling that the Masons are going to be leaving Earth this season.
Flag
Went back to look at it; a large, shiny green dot on the moon. I calculated that it would be about the size of Arizona; a big ol' dome, indeed. Anyone remember Chairface Chippendale from "The Tick"?
Flag
I know right.
Flag
I hate the entire Lexie storyline. She was creepy before and both then and now I wanted her to go away........be minimized. I don't like how she's causing all of the other characters to act. And wtf was up with Maggie? She is flipflopping in the extreme. Just let it end already.
Flag
The writers are now borrowing a plot device from Gilligan's Island, in that the Professor's expertise covers all topics, but only when needed. This week, he was a doctor and psychoanalyst (versed in drug-induced regression hypnosis). Previously, back when he was the stereotypical shut-in genius, he was the expert on power sources. At some point, he seemlessly slipped into the mind-blowing role of the first human geneticist to analyze alien DNA.

Forget about Lexi's omnipotence, is there any topic our modern day Professor can't master? All he's missing is an invention that is powered by a crudely constructed stationary bicycle.
Flag
I guess it's possible he is a polymath -- they exist but are rare.

Still, I agree that they are using him as just a convenient plot device. They could easily pull some random extra who's an expert in X one week and Y in another. I'm sure there are plenty of random engineers and scientists floating around.

But... this way they at least have someone that the audience has grown attached to and can somewhat trust. Pull in some random dude and maybe he's a traitor.
Flag
Good points. I guess there's a plausibility issue too if their ragtag band of survivors just happens to have a botanist when they need one, a geneticist when they need one, etc.

I would probably have no beef with this if the character was written to first admit that he's new to this particular thing, or explain why he would know anything about a given topic that's so far afield. It doesn't have to be a huge, elaborate backstory, but just something that makes it plausible that he can jump so easily into expertise in whatever scientific area is needed.
Flag
I agree. Did they say what his pre-alien job was when they first found him? He was maintaining the engineering stuff for the Eloi in Charleston, but I forget if they said what his discipline is/was.

Surely, among all of the people in Lexie's new age commune who mill around like cattle but never say or do anything, SOMEbody has a valuable, post-apocalypse skill...
Flag
Just a quick correction: it wasn't Cochise that said that about Cocoon Lexie killing everyone, it was the other volm, Shaq. That changes it from "trusted ally believes she's dangerous" to "sorta-kinda trusted ally believes she's dangerous, but he's kind of an asshole too, so who knows?"
Flag
The confusion is understandable. They are beginning to lookalike to me. I wonder how you can tell them apart. Ha !
Flag
Our house is noisy (kids and such), so we got used to watching everything with subtitles on awhile ago. Now we can't watch shows without them, and actually they make things a lot clearer.

In this case, because Shaq started speaking off-screen, his name was placed in front of his dialog so we knew who was speaking. Other than that, yeah, it would be hard to tell. He's a little taller, and his voice seems a little deeper, I guess. Kind of a poor choice by the design team though.
Flag
Worst. Episode. Ever...
Even the Volm left!
Flag
This show really has gone downhill, to the point of embarrassment, from Tom's voice getting all husky when he's mad to trying to introduce new aliens -- or at least metamorphoses -- at every chance they get. I was hoping Pope would force his way in and Tom gun him down to prove he'll do anything -- Pope is so annoyingly fake -- and Pope pull the trigger as he falls and hit Lourdes AND the cocoon and end that stupid story-line.
Flag
Yeah totally, this season started off with some real promise I thought....now I'm thinkin, this is fucking idiotic every week...
Flag
Damn. That episode was wild. The ending kind of ruined it for me though. I was hoping beyond all hope that a blast of heat would fry Anne at the end there, and some sort of mutated freak thing would pop out and start tearing shit up with psionic blasts, killing Lourdes and Hal in the process before escaping.

But yeah.. instead it was a mild cliffhanger that seems to be heading the way of Lexi being good? Lame...

Bring on the carnage, I say. You've only got one season after this to get it right Falling Skies. Start murdering people.
Flag
Why does Science Fiction always have to end up weird? This Lexi crap is dragging down Falling Skies like the religious stuff screwed up Battlestar. I think it has something to do with the writers' egos and them not being able to just stop at Aliens or Spaceships.
Flag
I wish it was weird. It's just a remix of the V alien baby. Same stold stuff, slightly rearranged. Also, that line you're referring to is when a show stops being science fiction and starts being science fantasy.
Flag
So what happened after Lexie's hand reached out. My DVR cut out. Besides that wow you lost my attention a lot tonight. And I'm very glad the Ben maggie thing is in his head.
Flag
Lexie's eye opened!!!

{I know! How crazy is that?!?!?!?} LOL
Flag
My DVR also cut off at that same time. Went to TNTs webpage today to stream the ending. We missed like 20 seconds of nothing haha.
Flag
It was super annoying especially since I have an extra minute scheduled to record.
Flag
Nothing Kate. That was the end of the episode. Also relieved that the Ben sex scene was his teenage fantasy. I really want to put a few bullets in Anne and Lexis heads. This show is an alien soap opera. It really pisses me off that I got sucked in enough to want to see how it ends. The domestic family stuff ruined this show.
Flag
I know, its funny, I barely paid attention to the whole Anne is missing storyline last year because it was, and I was aware, because the actress was pregnant but instead of moving past that story, or heck, even having Lexie being kept by the Espheni and Anne just continued on her Sarah Connor esq mission she was on at the beginning of this season, it would have been fine. This feels like we are just going to pick up on the weakest aspects of the stories from last season just as we thought we were back on track. Honestly, what I kind of hope comes out of cocoon is maybe an even more deceptive looking Lexie, one that actually looks like a grown up version of the little girl, you know, who would actually be the product of Tom and Anne.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members