A Falling Skies Community
TNT (ended 2015)

Falling Skies S04E07: "Saturday Night Massacre"

Lexie may not've slaughtered everyone once she emerged from her cocoon, but that's okay, because that's what her Espheni family is for. Fed up with the war-mongering 2nd Mass, Lexie claimed to be so over their B.S. and ready to return to her alien extended family. She took out Lourdes on the way (finally!) and left the Masons reeling after Annie's claims that Lexie was totally harmless turned out to be less than true. Annie is still clinging to the idea that Lexie is being mind-controlled or brainwashed, that she's not acting of her own volition, and given the way that Falling Skies likes to make sure its protagonists are right about everything always, that'll probably be the case. But in the meantime, a botched battle plan has left half the 2nd Mass dead—including quite a few familiar faces—and after seven episodes of wandering and finally reuniting after Charleston, our heroes are in no better shape than they were, well, ever. I guess that's probably how an alien apocalypse would indeed go down, but I'm starting to wonder if Falling Skies isn't starting to suffer from the Supernatural syndrome, in which nothing but awful stuff ever happens to the characters and tuning in becomes an exercise in masochism for the audience. 

However, I can't fault Falling Skies for taking the brutally honest angle. The series is comfortable with its current set-up in a way it really hasn't been since Season 2—before the 2nd Mass settled in Charleston and teamed up with the Volm and forged increasingly surprisingly complicated relations with other bands of human survivors. That level of comfort has allowed Falling Skies to more deeply explore the nuances, motivations, and tics of its characters; not only do we have Hal joining in on questioning Tom's leadership in a role that previously belonged almost exclusively to Pope, but it seems that everyone has a bone to pick with their fearless leader. And yet, Tom Mason is in no real danger of being usurped by his charges. Particularly where the disagreements with his family are concerned, the dissent is contained and remains in perspective of the larger problems at hand. The ongoing struggle to survive has granted the members of the 2nd Mass the ability to question without necessarily destroying, which means they can more freely display their dissatisfaction without fear of inadvertently making things worse. Hal is angry at Tom for failing to protect their followers from Lexie, but he still loves and respects his father. And during an exchange with Sarah in the heat of battle, Pope confirmed what we've all known this entire time: He talks a good game, but at the end of the day, he's as loyal to the 2nd Mass as any member of the Mason family (besides Lexie, of course).

With Lexie no longer a fixture in the Hippie Camp of Horrors, the Espheni have resumed their attacks on humanity's fleeting remnants. Ben snuck out to find Lexie while the rest of the 2nd Mass stayed behind to execute what was, in all honesty, a pretty decent plan until a ruptured gas line took out half the troops. Among the more prominent casualties were Lourdes, Dr. Robert, and possibly Maggie—who spent half the episode MIA only to reappear during the final frame of the episode's death montage. Tom was buried alive, and the surviving members of his family and his forces have retreated underground to fake their deaths and hope the Espheni take a hint and walk away. Those who did survive the disastrous battle are both mentally and physically wounded, and there's no guarantee that even if the Espheni believe that the've all perished, they won't come back a'knocking (especially given Lexie's apparent psychic-whatsit connection to her mommy.)  

At this point in the season, it's usually safe to say we're at a turning point for the story arc, but if that is truly the case as of "Saturday Night Massacre," then I don't believe the needle has moved in a direction that immediately favors the humans... which is fine. It's still entirely too early for a decisive human victory, and given that we know Falling Skies will conclude with a fifth and final season next year, we can also rest easy knowing that the scraps of humanity won't be completely decimated at the end of this season, either. Probably. 

Of course, that doesn't mean the Espheni still can't pack in a whole lot of hurt in the meantime, and "Saturday Night Massacre" had hurt for days. 

All in all, it wasn't a bad follow-up to the snoozefest that "Door Number Three" gave us last week. 

NOTES

– Whose death are you mourning the most? I was sad to see the 2nd Mass's resident mad scientist bite it, even though he had a pretty good run.

– Aww, Pope just wanted Sarah to go skitter-hunting with him. Too bad she's like totally traumatized now. 

– So I guess Lourdes wasn't evil after all—just drunk on Kool-Aid.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/30/2015

Season 5 : Episode 10

96 Comments
Comments (96)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Poorly written episode to much stupidity and unesscesary death
Flag
I thought Lourdes one of the prettiest characters on the show. I liked her in the first seasons but how she was in her last season ... I'm still undecided ... It's been too long since I've seen the show and would need to reevaluate it and her. But how she was with Lexi in the last season might give me reason not to feel as awesome about Lourdes. I hated seeing Dr. Kadar kick it. I hadn't seen him in a show I've watched since House from what I remember.
Flag
These aliens can travel between the stars but they plan to stop them by blowing up a bridge and using some makeshift weapons and rifles.
At least they killed off some of the cast but unfortunately not the right ones.
Still watching though - because it is summer and it is sci-fi.
Flag
My husband and I practically cheered when they killed off Lourdes. I was sad that the killed of Dr Kadar.
Flag
The Volm told Hal that Espheni are very dangerous when they come out of their cocoons - mind control, heat blasts, etc. "I lost nine brothers last time." So, where are all these other mind-controlling, heat-blasting Espheni?
Flag
will anybody miss lourdes... anybody?
Flag
Haven't seen the episode yet... just checking if Hal died... so yeah! he didn't, I can go watch it now...
Flag
I'm going to miss Tecter, yea he hasn't been a big part of the story since season 2, but he has always been a fun part.
Flag
Yes him and the doctor
Flag
so true
Flag
Tector will be the one I miss most.
But, at least he went down fighting, "Tick Tick Boom!"

I don't think Maggie is dead, I think it is just being used as a cliffhanger. Especially because she's a main character and they just killed off three other people in this episode!
Flag
Along the lines of how everyone is still trusting the Mason clan to lead them:

- Tom has made numerous trips on board the enemy crafts, including one that he doesn't entirely recall, and one where he was pressured to trade allegiances in exchange for family loyalty. Came back safely both times.

- Hal: eye bug. Former love interest of first ever human overlord.

- Ben: Harnessed kid, can still be possessed.

- Matt: Brainwashed at Espheni youth camp.

- Anne: Disappeared for months on enemy craft. Known to, at the very least, have been impregnated with alien hybrid baby.

- Lexie: Alien hybrid known to be capable of mind control and telekinetic physical assaults. Openly in league with Espheni.

That's right, ladies and gentlemen: The Masons. Leadership you can trust, or die trying.

Flag
Well put. 'f I were in the 2nd Mass, I'da been lightin' out for the territories long ago. Even if their leadership ability wasn't questionable, though it certainly is (despite what Pope said to suddenly sniveling Sarah, just before he laid into Tom AGAIN; is he bipolar, maybe?), they all have a big ol' Espheni target painted on their backs.
Flag
This is an okay episode considering how bad season four was.

I think many are happy with Lourdes death but is she really dead? Ha ! I would not be surprised if she wasn't. Dr. Robert is one of my favorite character. RIP.

I suspect Maggie is still alive, otherwise how do we continue with the love triangle. Ha !
Flag
It will evolve into a love rectangle eventually. There still is the youngest son.
Flag
nah i vote for the mrs.mason...
Flag
Of course Maggie is still alive... Next week they use Volm tech and she gets new Legs Lt. Dan!
Flag
Actually, they're going to give her six long, spindly legs...
Flag
They gave her spikes...yaks !
Flag
There's an easy way to understand this episode:

Network: Noah, the big ensemble cast is too expensive and the writers can't write effectively for that many characters!

Noah: No prob - I have this idea for a bloodbath episode. We can get rid of annoying characters (Lourdes) and minor characters (tDr. Robert) and get right back on budget! Plus, it will really help with the negotiations for next year. ("You think you're indispensable? Hah!")
Flag
I am going to miss Techtor the most. I liked that he and Hal had become partners in much the same way that Tom and Weaver are and it really is too bad that it was just a random Skitter and not the revenge obsessed overlord who went to see the body.
Flag
Well the actor is still on Continuum so if it gets picked up we can see him there playing almost the same character.
Flag
Continuum is ten times better than Falling Skies. I also hope it sees season 4.
Flag
What's so sad...I never actually put that together. I hope Continuum gets picked up, I loved Brad and Kiera.
Flag
Nice to know the utility companies will still be providing natural gas after the alien apocalypse.

It’s quite frustrating that not one single person ever responds to Lexi’s requests for non-violence with, “Billions of humans dead, Lexi. Billions. Compared to the Espheni, POPE is Ghandi!” Instead, we get Ben telling her how nice everyone was before the “war”.

Now Ben gets to be the one that gets on the spacecraft with Karen…I mean, Lexi. Why didn’t she just march them all out there?

I gather the show didn’t have the budget to actually show the Volm blowing up the bridge. I wonder why the Volm never blow up Espheni? (Although, they did, I admit, shoot down a beamer.) If I see an explosion off in the distance, I’m certainly going to assume the Volm blew up the bridge, rather than, say, the Espheni blew up the Volm.

“It’s personal. It’s going to be a ground assault. He’s not going to attack with beamers until he knows I’m dead. Unless, of course, he decides to attack me with a beamer.”

Annie knows how to make thermite! Guess we won’t be missing “The Professor” Kadar after all. And she has thermite material! Must’ve passed a Costco on her way to Chinatown.

For a supposedly advanced technology, the mechs are unbelievable slow and clumsy. Tell me again how the Espheni defeated all of earth’s armies and navies and air forces?

The battle scene was the most awkward, slow-moving, and confused action sequence I’ve seen since I stopped watching SyFy’s made-for-TV movies. “The Espheni are coming. Or they’re just standing still. The overlord’s with the first battalion, which we’ve more or less completely wiped out, accidently. No, wait, he’s with the second battalion.”

Good thing that 50 cal slug ceased to exist after it passed through that skitter, or Pope would be dead.

Oh, wow! That wasn’t Tom dressed as the Ghost shooting at the overlord! It was Tector! And Tom was unconscious under the rubble! And there’s the wrench that Tector had in his hand! He must’ve hit Tom on the head with it! Wow. I did not see that coming…

“Oops, I missed. Oh, well, I somehow have this bomb strapped to my chest, with which I can kill one skitter. And myself. And maybe Tom, since he’s close by, unconscious.”

“All those people. Dead.” “Um, yeah. You been payin’ attention the last 4 years?”

I’m guessing Sarah was at an Espheni re-education center last week.

“If you had killed me, I would never have given my ‘sister’ to Karen.” “Well, Hal, I’m going to respond to that unassailable truth with a non-sequitur about love that’ll just blow you away.”

“Is Maggie here in this 20x20 room? Anyone? Hello? Bueller? I’ll just look back in this corner where some of you are standing. Nope, not here.”

Good thing that opticians’ offices are well-equipped as DNA testing labs, ‘cause they’re numerous and will be easier for Annie to find than an actual lab, so she can continue Dr. Wilson’s work.

The mandatory slow pan over all of the secondary characters killed this week, with the plaintive violin music playing in the background, is the definition of “hackneyed”.

“Lourdes was like a little sister to me, who turned psycho and tried to kill everyone.” Pope was only pretending to be under Lexi’s mind control.

More+
Flag
cooj' sarcasm is becoming my favorite part of the show...

I thought the same thing about the fully pressurized gas line. Those utility company employees have really perservered in the face of adversity while still achieving their uptime goals.

The "skitter gets all blowed up from behind" scene was just bizarre. Not only does Pope suddenly freeze in the face of danger, in spite of having a weapon, but the civil war era, working and accurate sniper rifle shoots a bullet that creates a perfectly round circle by evaporation, rather than displacement. Knowing this, you can confidently shoot at any target directly between you and your friends.

So you think Tector literally knocked Tom out with the conveniently oversized wrench? I keep telling myself that it had to be something else - he used the wrench to bar the door, or he locked Tom in and gave him the wrench to slowly free himself, or something, anything other than, "I think I should take this shot so I will bludgeon our leader to near death for his own good." That wrench was huge - that there's a killing wrench, not a knock-out wrench. Best case, you give the guy a concussion in the middle of a battle zone. Maybe Tector wasn't such a nice, friendly assasin after all...

More +
Flag
Thanks!

"uptime goals" - HAH!

When I saw the skitter's head explode from behind, I tried to think if we just saw Pope run out of ammo, or have his gun jam, or something. Didn't feel like rewinding to look again. Freezing is so ridiculous, it never crossed my mind. Given how this show is going lately, you're probably right.

The idea that Tector knocked Tom out with a wrench (instead of, say, merely disobeying a direct order), is indeed ridiculous (there's that word again), but it's the simplest explanation for the events depicted. Otherwise, we have to think that Tom fell asleep (?) while getting the can of oil or whatever.
"I'm so ANGRY! I'm going up on that roof to kill the overlord, and NO ONE's gonna stop me!!!"
"Hey, can you get me a can of oil to fix my gun, sir?"
"Sure. I'll be right back."
Flag
"I'm so ANGRY - I wasn't going to even contemplate killing that Overlord before but NOW I realize that he's here to kill me and everyone around me! I should've seen it coming when he and his army wiped out the rest of humanity including my wife, but NOW IT'S PERSONAL! And if my years of scholarship on the American Revolution taught me just one thing about successful insurgencies against military superiority, it's that nothing will count if I don't take the kill shot MYSELF! That's why I, and my kids and new psuedo-wife, are the perfect choices to make every decision for the 2nd Mass!"

This show practically writes itself...
Flag
That episode should've been called Cut Down Day. Why so many characters cut in one episode, TNT hand out the budget for next season or something?
Flag
The only reason this ep was good...lourdes' death
Flag
Yea, I was super psyched when Lordes died. I couldn't understand why everyone else was so sad.
Flag
Would have been funny to see Dr. Kadar exit on Lupus... oh well... Can't win 'em all. Anyway, It was nice enough to see Lourdes inspect the dirt.
Flag
Hahahahaha. That would have been a great reference.
Flag
Better then last week thank god they got rid of Lexi PA Lourdes she was getting on my nerves also I like the way the mechs got rid of Lexi (Bonnie Tyler's) backing group LOL . At Least we got some excitement although the the storyline of Mason kids ignoring dads orders has been overused by now. I do miss the hitler Camp where is it ? So does that mean Overlord Lexi dad is picking up her and Ben and joining a Splinter group, next week promo looks good Tom gets infected again and Maggie not sure which brother to shag keeping it in the family ehh
Flag
I will be forever grateful to V baby Lexie for killing lunatic Lourdes.
Flag
Lourdes death is only going to traumatize Hal. First he loses Karen, then he has to see Karen turn evil, be against her, and then watch Karen die. Then he has the bug inside him but is saved by anne and lourdes. He then promised to save Lourdes. But now she's dead. I really think Lourdes character deserved more than that. Everyone found her annoying because she was being controlled! Lexi controlled her. It was't lourdes's fault she acted like that! She was being controlled! Remember how she helped in the beginning? And after what happened to Karen (turning evil) Lourdes didn't try to connect with Hal anymore.
I honestly think a lot of people are hating on her character for no reason. She was being controlled. That's why she was annoying. She didn't deserve to die. She could have been saved! She didn't even have a chance to breathe back to normal.
I really hope she is not dead. I hope the writer's will bring her back and maybe Hal can somehow save her because now i feel so bad for him. He promised her and now shes dead.
However I really believe she is dead and if the writers brought her back to life again they prob will mess up her character even more.

More+
Flag
I hated that Lourdes died. She was really awesome in her spiritualness in the first seasons. I don't remember what particular faith she was (maybe Catholic) but I still liked that the writers tried to bring a spiritual aspect to the show when things were getting apocalyptic. I did think however that for the way her character was initially written that she was way too crazy in her last season. I wish she didn't die that way :( . She was a lovely character. I do admit I liked her better when she wasn't being controlled. By having written her that way, it's not that character's fault, but the writers for any unpleasantness toward Lourdes.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Flag
I found he annoying back in season on before she was being controlled. When she and Jimmy were having a "no you're not southie enough"-off. Then she was very religious, then her boyfriend died and she just gave up on life and started sulking, THEN she was controlled by nasty face/brain bugs. So her being annoying started before season 3.
Flag
I hated her because she reminded me of someone I know. Someone super religious. And, while I don't have a problem with believers (believe whatever you want), I do have a problem with the ones who are annoying about it (and shove their beliefs in your face like it's the only right way to live).

Heck. That's why I can't stand most vegetarians. :D
Flag
I didn't mind Lourdes, in season 1. Her faith, was just part, of who she was. I didn't think of her, as overly pushy then. But in this season, she was completely nuts. It was well past time, for her to go. And that is the writer's fault. Do they really think, that because a person has a religion, they will just pick up any belief system?

If that were true, once muslims got to gitmo, they'd convert; christians in the middle east, would convert too. As well as Hindus, in muslim dominated areas in India. And Israel, would have converted to islam, a long time ago. Not to mention all the orthodox christians and jews, that were in the athiest Soviet Union. It just shows the lack of knowledge, that Hollywood and television writers have.

I don't mind vegetarians. My problem is with vegans, those people are insane. :P
Flag
lourdes death meh, she's been a cardboard cut out all of this 4th season, preaching rubbish and doing lexi's bidding lourdes died last season when she had the nano probe removed..

kadar, hmm kind of a meh as well how does he get impaled on glass in that opticians with out other injuries..

tector well he want out with a bang like he wanted.

Flag
Ben is a dick, he is trying to get with Maggie when Hal and Maggie love each other, if Ben gets with her, then i will be so pissed off,

Tector shouldn't have died, who wasn't a massive character but he was just cool

Lourdes' wasn't really needed anymore, she didn't really care about the 2nd mass anymore, she was nice and it was sad but oh well

Dr. Kadar was still useful because he was a medical doctor but he was a scientist, which they don't have but they always kill them off like Uncle scott, Jamil and now him.

what i want to know is what happened the man who escaped mny ghettos, he closed the door on the people hiding and was outside when the espheni came?

Flag
I don't understand what the writers are trying to do with the Ben/Maggie thing. I mean, as far as I remember, Ben still has that de-harnessed girlfriend. Right? He and her were sort of in a relationship, last season, iirc. And, I'm pretty sure she's still in the show. Wasn't she the one who was "connected" to the skitter Annie beat down during her interrogation to find Lexie? Remember her?
Flag
Karen died.
Flag
Yes. Karen did die. However, I was referring to the black girl who had been de-harnessed (the one who Ben would have heart-to-hearts with about being considered freaks amongst the 2nd Mass.). Do you remember her? Towards the beginning of this season Annie needed someone to "talk" for a skitter and it was that girl who stepped up. Or I'm just confusing that actress with the other one...
Flag
Yes, now I remember the girl that you're talking about.
Flag
@Marlboro and erickson
Yea. After re-watching the episode I saw it was her.

I just don't understand why the writers were, from my point of view, building up some type of romantic relationship between the two (with Ben and her having heart-to-heart conversations, during a previous season which may or may not have been this past one) only to all of a sudden make Ben have wet-dreams about his older brother's girlfriend. The whole thing reeks of creating drama out of nowhere so the Masons have some inner-conflict amongst themselves.
Flag
She was in this episode.
Flag
Wasn't she the same one arguing jazz vs freestyle with the South African Tesla suit guy as they did recon? She was the subject of the "harnessed kids heal fast" remark. Not much has been made of their relationship this season - they seem to be operating pretty much apart from each other.
Flag
Flag
I am definitely NOT happy about Lourdes' death. The writers turned her into a joke of a character and that stinks. Then they had the one person that she was standing by through all the recent mess, up and kill her. Thanks, thanks for that *smdh*

Poor Dr. Kadar. See ya sir.

"Tick tick boom."
Tector,

Flag
Lourdes' death was just housekeeping on the writers' part (she'd outlived her usefulness as a character by at least a full season). The doc's death was sadder, but they reminded us twice in the episode that Anne is, in fact, a doctor, so given that this episode was about death and loss, doc's expendability clause kicked in.

But Tector -- poor Tector. He was not only still useful, but always a helpful, friendly face around camp. The ironies of his death being a) he actually missed his final shot, and b) he knew that even had he made it, he would probably still get caught -- thus the "surprise" he'd prepared.

That he didn't get a hero's end makes his death all the more unhappy, though I'm proud of the writers for wisely giving us what, in my opinion, were deaths of progressive pathos.

A final note: we saw in the previews for next week that Maggie lives, but can't move her legs, so they implant her with alien tech. Rather than having this lead to "can we trust her or can't we" drama (which is overdone), I predict it will be a move that takes her farther from Hal (who may, in fact, trust her less) an closer to Ben.
More+
Flag
That last paragraph is a pretty safe bet imo. Maggie and Ben will be mentally connected by him sharing one of his harness spikes with her.
Flag
OK, who wants to bet that Lourdes is going to turn out to be alive or be resurrected and less crazy or something. Since she wasn't looking as messed up or pale while lying there as a corpse.

Also, Inception... I'm still holding onto that. Otherwise that's a lot of purging for a show that still has a season left.
Flag
That was my first thought, her body didn't look like it was decomposing. An you would have thought they bury her before the battle.
Flag
Well decomp takes a while before it gets noticeable and a dead body won't go pale too quickly. I thought it was just hours since her death.

But when attacked by Lexie she turned all pale and sick looking. But on the bed she had color again and looked fine.

Which would drive me crazy... Lourdes was crazy enough with the whole religion thing. Imagine if she returned from the dead? Her crazy would magnify 100x.
Flag
Tector :'(
Flag
He'll be back on Continuum.
Flag
Yeah, he is basically playing the same character.
Flag
So a question and unfortunately I deleted the episode before I was able to go back and confirm, but there was a scene right before the battle where they were bringing in some wounded and I'm pretty sure I head someone "how did that heal so quickly". Did anyone else catch that?

Could that be Lexie's gift to the group? So therefore none of these folks are really dead?
Flag
Someone answered "Spiked kids are tough." She has the residual abilities like Ben.
Flag
I don't think they be surprise if this was a normal ability. An we do need some of the other background characters to come foreground after this little round of slaughter from the writers. Plus I can't remember seeing it before.
Flag
Possibly

But Weaver (or Pope?) followed it up with the line "spiked kids heal real fast" or "spiked kids are really tough" or something like that.

So presumably that character was one of the freed harness kids from earlier but I didn't look to closely and it was pretty dark.

I'm still giving the "Lexie just Inception'ed them" scenario like a 25% chance.
Flag
She was a previous harness. But this is the first time we seen someone who was harness heal so fast. I wouldn't be surprise we see someone asks ben next episode and then it reveal that they don't heal that fast but when they go looking for her she gone. I do think there more story there.
Flag
She was a previously harnessed kid. She was friends with Ben last season.
Flag
And now Ben has the hots for Maggie.
Flag
Flag
That scene towards the end (before Tom woke up) was absolutely cheese, and worse than hitting the audience with a sledge-hammer! "Hey, take a look at those who have been with us for a while and are now dead!" (slow-mo with lame music). Completely unnecessary.
Flag
it brought tears to my weary eyes.
Flag
A much-needed thinning of the herd, IMO. Lourdes and the Professor were becoming problematic as characters, and didn't warrant a whole lot of screen time to resolve. The sniper guy was somewhat of a surprise as he was just one of the bread-and-butter contributors to the 2nd Mass, but his death was well-played, even down to the Tick Tick Boom tagline.

Random thoughts:

- The Sarah character does nothing for me. First, she's similar enough to Maggie that in the poorly lit scenes, it takes me a couple seconds to straighten it out. Second, she delivers every line with that goofy grin, which even a school-girl crush on Pope can't fully explain. Finally, she is somehow continually surprised by the reality of the global war going on (why would Florida be any safer?) I just can't see her playing anything more than a vehicle for Pope's one-liners for the next 1.5 seasons.

- More of Tom's hoarse rantings. Though I can't understand why the drama around the proclamation of, "I'm going to go up there and kill him!" (The Espheni). Umm, isn't your whole objective to kill this enemy? Are you just now getting to this realization?

- Once again a Mason making a poor military decision to put himself at deliberate risk. If it's going to be a sniper shot, why not send the sniper? It's not like he was planning a big personal showdown - it was going to be an assassination. Though I was unclear on how the sniper guy actually kept Tom away once he tricked him into going for tools (in a completely telegraphed move).

- The Espheni leader now can suddenly dodge bullets.

- Lourdes' facial injuries from Lexi went away by the time they laid her to rest. And I thought I saw in one of thsoe scenes that she somehow recovered the sweater / wrap that she gave to Lexi (and which Lexi was still wearing).

- Way to have the Maggie spoiler in the scenes from next week.

- I'm still not buying the Mason familial devotion to Lexi, whom they barely know and have seen to be, basically, an alien. "She's still a Mason!" Yeah, kind of in the same way that Cousin Oliver was still a Brady.

More+
Flag
Sarah gives Pope something else to do when he isn't ranting about Tom.
Flag
Sarah's "You should see me in cut-offs and flip-flops" actually made me groan. And, is her glowing red lipstick in otherwise grey-tinted scenes supposed to be symbolic or something?

You're absolutely right about the Masons' "love" for Lexi. It makes absolutely no sense. She's less than a year old, for pete's sake, and none of them ever saw her for half of that time.

The same shop where Lourdes got her very nice clothes had dozens of those red sweater wraps. Someone just picked out another one to not bury her in.

Didn't care much, myself, for Tector's suicide bomb. Where did he get it?
Flag
I agree, I don't see the point of Sarah character either, the brings nothing to the table. No the Espeni fella didn't dodge the bullet, the bullet hit his armour, I heard the ching sound.
Flag
Pathetically enough, I went back and re-played the sniper scene. I could be wrong, but it really looked like the Espheni reacted to the sound of the muzzle and did a head-fake to dodge the bullet, which impacted the wall behind him. The way it was portayed, you saw the shot / heard the blast, and the next shot was the Espheni doing a quick fake, as if he a) heard the shot faster than the bullet was traveling, and b) knew which way to fake to avoid it.

Still open to interpretation of course - that's just mine.
Flag
Doubt he could've heard the bullet before it got there, but maybe the Espheni overlords have such superior vision that he SAW the bullet and ducked. And maybe I'm going to smack myself in the face for trying to justify yet another silly moment from this show...
Flag
Re: "clumsy manual gesturing" -- Hah! When I saw it, I said, "ET phone beamer".
Flag
Right - I should've noted that by definition the bullet would've outpaced the sound of the bullet breaking the sound barrier.

Note the Espheni was looking right at the sniper, so he could in fact be reacting to the SIGHT of the muzzle flash, but he still figured out which direction to head fake in pretty quickly. For a dude that moves about the pace of the walking trees in Lord of the Rings (see his clumsy manual gesturing for the air strike moments later), Espheni can bust a move when he needs to.
Flag
At one point, I was expecting to find out that Lexie had pulled an "Inception" on them. That when she froze all of them, she put them into a little VR in their minds to show them how everything could turn out if they continued with their thinking. In hopes of showing them that retalliation would turn out poorly.

And that in fact they were all still just frozen there in the courtyard.

But... I'd IMAGINE if that were the case they would have wrapped that up by the end of the episode instead of continued into next week.

Flag
Lexie was annoying me.

Going on and on about how the humans only know violence, and then whining that Tom Mason is fixated on killing that scarred Espheni. And how the Espheni are better.

And yet, that scarred Espheni is just as gung-ho about killing Tom; if not MORE so. And the Espheni have killed... gee... Like 3/4 of the planet's population.

I could see her complaining about the humans being irrational and stupid, while the Espheni are logical and wise. But to say the Espheni are less violent and less stubborn when we SEE them acting that way in the same episode is just... weird.
Flag
Remember Lexi hasn't seen that side of the Espheni yet, she only met her suppose daddy and we know he been manipulating her. She just been living in that sanctuary and the Espheni has never attacked it as they promised. An she left before the Espheni attacked.

Flag
I have to admit, I cried a little when Lourdes died....tears of joy. It's been a while since I've been so happy to see a character die on screen.
Flag
I agree. It doesn't matter that she was or wasn't under mind control; she was a hazard to the rest of humanity, and needed to be stopped, one way or another, as Hal logically pointed out (albeit indirectly) to Maggie. I have no problem with rehabbing, say, murderers, but you have to stop them killing first. In desperate times such as the 2nd Mass face, SOMEbody would've stopped Lourdes long before this.
Flag
Hey, Rommel-- I'm sorry but your analysis of Tom's plan as being decent is wrong.
Flag
Will miss Tector and Dr. Robert both.. But Lourdes is dead and finally something is right in the world of Falling Skies.. Damn. she almost single handedly drove me away from the show.. Also ***spoiler*** ahead.. Maggie isn't dead..
Flag
That was one hell of a massacre. I lost count of the number of people that died.

Did the harness kids always have super healing abilities or is that a new ability that just appeared.

At least the Volm stayed around to provide air cover.
Flag
I really should have taken this episode's title a lot more seriously. I haven't been this engrossed in an episode of Falling Skies in a long time. A few observations: (1) I'm really hoping that all of this season's SFX budget wasn't spent on this episode. While, it was spectacular, we still have a way to go. (2) At the rate that major characters were killed off in this episode, there won't be anyone left for the final season. (3) Did they kill off these characters to save money for the SFX budget?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members