A Falling Skies Community
TNT (ended 2015)

Falling Skies S04E11 and S04E12: "Space Oddity" and "Shoot the Moon"

Lexie was redeemed! The humans blew up the Espheni moon base! Win, win, and... well... Lexie is presumed dead and Tom is missing in action, so of course, the 2nd Mass's celebrations will be tinged with just a little sadness. I say "just a little" because we all know that Tom is alive and well(ish) with some alien rescuers that he apparently knows(?) and while Lexie's kamikaze routine was convincing enough, I'm personally just not buying that she's a goner. After all, she can manipulate atoms and blow shit up; I bet with a little practice, she could probably put stuff back together too. 

I'm also totally selfish and I like Lexie and I just plain don't want her to be dead. So there. 

Of Falling Skies' two finale episodes, "Spade Oddity" had the most meat to its story, even if Tom's adventures in a perfect dreamland were predictable from the moment he woke up back on "Earth." Throughout Lexi's arc this season, the show has made every attempt to cloud our perception of her—and along the way, produced some believably organic family drama within the Mason-Glass clan. The concept of "unconditional love" gets thrown around a lot during discussions of family dynamics, but sometimes someone can do something that's really effing bad, that manages to crack that foundation and severely compromise the strength of the family bond. Pope put actual numbers to the destruction that Lexie brought to the 2nd Mass: Once over 200 strong, their ranks have been decimated to a few dozen survivors. Lexie herself admitted that she wasn't entirely under Espheni control when she acted against her kin. She was confused, and like so many regular, human-flavored teenagers, she thought she knew what was best. 

Unfortunately, murdering your No. 1 fan and causing the deaths of countless others is a little bit different than stealing your dad's soccer-mobile for a joyride. The debate within the 2nd Mass and the Mason family throughout "Space Oddity" raised painful questions that resonate even outside of a slightly-above-average sci-fi series, and like many of Falling Skies' strongest episodes this season, the first half of the finale restricted its purview to a very tight cluster of characters, allowing the narrative to remain focused at all times. 

That precision was lacking in the second half of the finale, "Shoot the Moon," which alternated between standard "humans vs. aliens in space" fare and the actual horror film that was taking place planetside. Everything concerning the 2nd Mass fighting the cement-fog and those things in the mist could've been a creepy and, even though Falling Skies never airs in October, delightfully Halloween-y. Can't you just imagine an entire episode devoted to the insanity, fully allowing the monsters to terrorize their targets a la Stephen King's The Mist?

When Falling Skies was forced to split time between the horrorshow downstairs and Tom wrestling with a dude in a rubber mask on his stolen spaceship, neither story truly got the attention it needed. The scorched-face overlord has been Tom's No. 1 nemesis for quite awhile now; paired with the dude's recent influence over Lexie and his newfound determination to totally kill her dead, Tom and Two Face's boss battle could have—and should have—been the culmination of a season spent dogging each other at every turn. 

Instead, we ultimately saw something along the lines of the end of Return of the Jedi, where as soon as the fight between Vader, Luke, and Palpatine was getting good, we were whisked back to the teddy bear picnic below—except in this case, if done well, the teddy bear picnic could've been a pretty good episode on its own. Both of the stories presented in "Shoot the Moon" could have been great as standalone adventures, but they were both weakened because they had to share a single, oh-so-important episode.

Like so many two-hour finales that came before it, Falling Skies' "Spade Oddity" and "Shoot the Moon" suffered from the fact that one episode was, well, just a lot better than the other. However, as a whole, the Season 4 capper left us in a good position us for Season 5.

The Espheni were, for all intents and purposes, defeated at last in "Shoot the Moon." However, as Weaver pointed out, there are still remnants on the planet, and even without their celestial wi-fi, they're still pretty dangerous on their own. This presents an honest look at what life on Earth in a post-Espheni era will look like: remarkably similar to a post-Empire galaxy far, far away. I know, I know, the Star Wars extended universe is no longer considered canon now that Disney is driving the Millennium Falcon (thanks for retroactively transforming everything I read in middle school that wasn't assigned by a teacher into a waste of time, Mickey!). And the Empire didn't end at the end of Return of the Jedi. Its limitless power ended. Its galaxy-wide influence ended. But there were still vestiges of the past, and the occasional fanboy/girl out to rebuild the glory days for, well, forever. 

I've touched on this in previous reviews: Earth can never really go back to what it was. The survivors can't just ignore the crashed spaceships and alien carcasses littering the ground and return to school plays and Little League. There will always be the threat of hidden factions, waiting for a chance to re-enslave humanity. There will always be the threat of a strong Espheni force returning. There will always be the threat of other threats: other aliens, even other humans. Falling Skies has only briefly touched on this in the past, but with communication so decimated and human leadership so scattered, there are probably other groups like the 2nd Mass out there, and there are also probably leaders who aren't as genuinely good as Tom and Weaver. With the Espheni having been the ultimate threat for so long, I think it's going to shock many survivors when they're reminded that humans can be bad guys, too—and that not all of them are secret good guys like Pope. 

Knowing that Falling Skies' fifth season will be the show's last opens up the opportunity to definitely end the story in a place where an ending feels natural and right. I was so worried, as the series progressed, that we would never actually get to see what the post-invasion world looks like—a trope that tends to get overlooked in favor of swashbuckling space heroes and lots of laser guns and explosions. Revolution actually did "life after the disaster" thing kind of well (it was everything else that was awful), and Defiance does a decent job with it, too, but lots of shows don't even touch it. I might be in the minority here, but I've always found the idea of evolving and adapting to be more interesting than blowing all the stuff up, and the fact that Falling Skies has given itself an entire season to explore that idea is genuinely exciting. 

NOTES

– I love love love that Sara came back and saved Pope's ass. <3<3<3

– So does Ben and Maggie saving Hal mean that the love triangle crap can just be dripped when we get back? PLZ?

– Got any theories about Lexie, or Tom's new/old alien besties?

– Cochise and his daddy issues awww. 

– What's on your Season 5 wishlist?

What'd' you think of the finale, and of Season 5 as a whole? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/30/2015

Season 5 : Episode 10

114 Comments
Comments (114)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Always love reading predictions. Here's mine.
Perhaps the deadlier enemy mentioned by the Espheni is a superior skitter that not only enslaved it's own people, but enslaved them to dominate the Espheni. Perhaps the Espheni were given the deal to not be harnessed by working for the Elite Non-harnessed Skitters? Let the Espheni have free domain, yet under a war strategy directed by the big banker skitters? Maybe the Espheni had a mind to overthrow the banker skitters until the humans threw a wrench into it. They don't understand free will & now that's cost Espheni their possible freedom from the coming terror. idk! deuces
Flag

I think I know the mystery alien at the end is.!

Hello, I think you guys are all over thinking this and u think that the new alien is a unharnessed skitter and I think that is a good guess but I think I have a better idea (not saying I'm better). That the new alien is a female skitter because I know that the skitters resemble spiders tho they are not arachnids because they only have 2 eyes not 8 and 6 legs not 8. But I know that female spiders eat male spiders and are more aggressive. So my theory behind this is that they are female skitters and the males and the fish heads are scared of the females and they are the "scarer enemy that was coming".
Flag
And the Empire didn't end at the end of Return of the Jedi. Its limitless power ended. Its galaxy-wide influence ended. But there were still vestiges of the past, and the occasional fanboy/girl out to rebuild the glory days for, well, forever.
Ok now I finally have a metaphor to understand the Soviet Union and Vladimir Putin.
Flag
The two hours special was indeed special.
I got the chance to see an all new side of Lexie. Before I just wanted her gone from the show, but now I can see her has an important character, so I'm hoping that she managed to survive, somehow.
I don't believe that she got blown to bits and can heal herself, but maybe she got enough juice to pull up somekind of shield or cocoon around herself so she could survive.
About Tom... Well, things might have gotten more complicated than ever.
The Espheni have hinted on some very powerful enemy that drove them from their galaxy and that all that they've done so far was to prepare for one final confrontation with this nameless enemy. In my opinion Tom has finaly met this nameless enemy in the season finale.
Will they be humanity new enemy? If the Espheni feared them, and they also turn out to be enemies, then I can say without a doubt, that humanity is screwed.
And if they are not enemies, then what part will they take on season 5? Will they help humanity to rebuild or will they just conquer Earth making humans their pets, starting with Tom.
True that we don't get a good look at this new alien that Tom sees, but even so, through the blured image it definitely did not look Espheni or Volm. But the voice was feminine so there's always the chance that it might be an Espheni female. Although I'm really hoping that's it's something new.
All and all, they have a lot of closing up to do in the 5th and final season, and that has me worried. Because I've seen in the past that when the end of a show is certain many times the producers cut corners just so they can deliver, not caring so much for the loyal fans that kept the show running all these years.
More+
Flag
Season 4 was my favorite season, up to now i watched the show more because my wife really liked it, but this season upped the game for sure. Well done.
Flag
I toured Vancouver, BC's Sun Yat-Sen Garden/Chinese Cultural Centre in May, 2014 and jumped off my couch in delight when I recognized it as the backdrop to Lexi's sanctuary in early Season 4 episodes. There's some still photos during production of those Falling Skies episodes over at yvrshoots(dot)com.
Flag
I Think that what Tom saw was Lexie accompanied by the alien that we all saw on the mirror. and He say you are beautiful to Lexie.
Flag
You're Beautiful
Flag
Forget Hal and Ben fighting over Maggie; now we're going to have Anne and an alien fighting over Tom.
Flag
I really enjoy the sci-fi and can't wait to see the new aliens they introduced us.
Flag
So the two Espheni were killed, one by Lexi and one by Tom, but the whole planet was under the control of the Espheni, so where are the other ones?
Was Earth jus being terrorized by two Espheni? I find that hard to believe.
So I expect this to be the battle of season 5, the war against the remaining Espheni.
Then there is of course the ship Tom ended up in the last episode. Who are they? Are the 'good' Espheni? Are they Cochise's people? A new race that wants the planet?
If they are the good guys, I think the series would end with them assisting mankind to rebuild the planet, set up a government and help build good defenses. So I wouldn't be surprised if the series-finales final minutes jump 50 years into the future and show a new and beautifull Earth.
Flag
Well that was a drag this show is on constant repeat like revolution was are the writers for both shows the same certainly sharing the same ideas . Tom gets captured every season if the eispeni were clever he be dead two seasons ago.

The Ben , Hal and Maggie love triangle boring repeated with the Karen , Hal and Ben triangle , I fast forward most of it . I mean it takes a lot for a show like this which has a bigger budget then Dome to be less entertaining. Best moments when Bonnie did her mutant exploding thing and rip off the film The Mist other then that Boring and dull . I am glad they will finish it off in the last season but they needs to be more excitement and thrills otherwise I watch repeats of Blake seven for my sci fi fix LOL
Flag
I've always been a fan of Falling Skies, but I've never considered it anything more than summertime popcorn stuff. The acting is good and I enjoy the overall story arc, but the writing can be pretty bad at times.

Case in point, I really liked the idea of the alien bomb as a means to infect the humans. Being frozen in place just waiting for your eventual turn is quite terrifying. Where it fell down was with the writing. Some of the stuff that the characters said while frozen in place was just painfully silly at times.

So can we assume that the little girl (forget her name) is going to show back up as a stowaway on the Beamer and she'll be able to draw upon her alien knowledge to help them get home?
Flag
It seemed pretty obvious to me that the alien creature at the end was whatever the skitters were before they were skitterized. We've know for a long time that the skitters were also harnessed and victimized by the Espheni, and we know that skitterized humans look like monsters, so it stands to reason that the skitters' true forms are relatively beautiful compared to the harnessed monsters they were turned into. And that is my theory.
Flag
Interesting theory. Like it. Something which needs to be developed. Story development ain't a strong one with this series!
Flag
the best thing this season was SCARLETT BYRNE as Lexi the rest of the season was a disappointment
Flag
If the showrunners are half-ass smart, they will keep Lexi for the final season. Scarlett Byrne is really talented. I have to remember she's British.

Try watching again on DVR or On-Demand.

When Tom is about to be Cocooned, and ingested with her protein, the dialog:

Tom: "That what you said, when you killed Lourdes."

Lexi: "I did? Interesting."

Look at her expression when she says that. Scary!
Flag
what does being british have to do with anything.... sounds a bit racists if u ask me
Flag
A few comments on the difference between The Walking Dead and FS, mentioned often on these pages:

While both series purport to examine the drama of post-civilization humans in what seems to be a permanently, or at least long-term, adverse environment, their approaches are completely different. The characters in TWD, besides day-to-day survival (which is not explored nearly as deeply in FS), are constantly faced with conditions and circumstances that test what it means to be human, and even whether or not humanity deserves to survive. FS, while often touching on the surface aspects of “civilization”, rarely explores it very deeply, and not at all since they left underground Charleston (the best story arc in the series, IMO), and the interpersonal conflicts in FS seem soap-opera-ish and contrived (how often is Pope going to jump back and forth across that fence?). FS is mostly about jingoistic heroism, and “Family” instead of families. At the character level, the difference between Rick Grimes and Tom Mason is an obvious example of the difference between the two series (which one is more sympathetic, more real, more believable), with Carl Grimes and Matt Mason being an equally good but more subtle distinction.

TWD is not without flaws, but it is several levels above FS.
More+
Flag
A lot of people have mentioned that reading the comments is the whole reason they come to this blog or whatever, and I agree they're pretty entertaining. With that said here's my two-cents:

I watch a show to be entertained, when I'm no longer entertained, I stop watching it, plain and simple. When you have a sci-fi film like this one, there are bound to be plot holes and forced plot points, and honestly that's okay. I've rolled my eyes at things ever since season 1.

That being said, Falling Skies still entertains me. It's fun to watch the interactions between the characters (even though it seems Matt is getting WORSE at acting as he gets older, or maybe it's just the role they're requiring him to play or something), and it's cool to see things blow up and the humans scrape by to live another day. It's also fun to try to predict what'll happen in the future. I'm not asking all of you to stop being downers, just providing my lot on life, I suppose.

Also keep in mind that Steve left the show as the producer, and we get a greenie doing it now. I'd say he's doing okay.

That said, my predictions:

- Lexi's obviously still alive somehow, she probably spun a cocoon for herself since they explained all of its functions just previously. Predictable plot point. One reason to believe this is that Mira (the little girl that Matt befriended and was ultimately brainwashed and harnessed) suddenly scoots off out of camera. Why was she there in the first place? To have her suddenly die like that seems out of place, why not have her defend the Overlord and die that way or something? Yeah. Lexi's still alive and Mira has another role to play in Season 5.

-Somebody said that the producers mentioned not bringing in another alien race. And yeah I just looked it up and Noah Wyle, after talking to Eick, the showrunner, mentions “All I’ll say is it’s not a new alien race that we’re looking at. It is something we haven’t met before, but it’s familiar.” Perhaps a "perfected" or "highly evolved" human race? That may be why the Espheni are attacking now?

-Let's pick apart the last scene here, even the producers (in the same blog post I looked up) mention that everything in the final scene was picked on purpose, and that they wanted "When a Man Loves a Woman" to play instead of what played. Though they could just be "saying that" to throw us, they said they didn't have the budget for the rights to it. So I say take them at their word for now.
--Tom wakes up in a room that looks like home, the first thing he sees is a picture of his family, the same picture he was looking at moments before - WHICH DIDN'T SHOW HIS WIFE (Note: not that she wasn't there, the camera cut her off, I remember watching it and thinking "wait, where's Rebecca?") - now he sees this picture and there's his wife, plain as day (and I was like, "Oh, yeah, okay." haha). He reaches to grab it and, what? It's an illusion/hologram? Foreshadowing? Backshadowing? Perhaps his wife wasn't really human after all? Perhaps she's been "resurrected" or something? It wouldn't be a stretch for this actor's voice to be Jennifer Ferrin (actor who played Rebecca in, like, the 3 episodes she's in) imitating a British accent to be honest.
--Immediately we hear American themes playing, "We hold these truths to be self-evident," Pledge of Allegiance. They cut off suddenly when he opens the curtain.
--"You are safe, and sound." "We come in peace." Every alien invasion ever they begin with this line. That being said it seems like at the end Tom trusts her.
--"The enemy of my enemy is my friend." Tom and Lexi discussed something very similar just previous to this.
--"Tom Mason, it's about time." For what? To meet? It seems more than that, it seems like he's supposed to know "what time" it is.
--"Oh my God. I HAD NO IDEA. You're...you're beautiful." Again, he's suddenly familiar with this new being. Also it's a revelation to him, clearly. Something that didn't add up suddenly makes sense. We've established it's not a new species, the producers have pretty much said they aren't done with "DNA tampering" and the like. This is some form of human hybrid, perfected. It's likely his wife or the appearance of her. And when she said "it's about time" it likely triggered some memory or something.

My take. We'll see what happens when season 5 comes about. I for one plan to be entertained all the way through! Who's with me!? :)
More+
Flag
I don't see it as cut and dried with your decision. Example: If it's poor, you HOPE they'll listen, change and make something so much better. Your explanation shows much more about how you approach life, not how optimists think. Can you change it? Yes...

Same goes with a bad relationship, you just don't leave, you stick around as you've seen the best and worst. If the next series goes bad, it's gone from uncaring, to wreckless. The writers really do need to take in the feedback. I think next season will be a cancellation. Let's hope they wrap it up!
Flag
Season 5 has already begun for next year. It will be the last season. I really enjoy it and I am glad that they will be ending on a good note instead of being canceled and leaving viewers with disappointment.
Flag
Thanks for coming back. It's a pity that it is a last season. They ought to get a comic book writer, like Warren Ellis to have written it :-D
Flag
I speculated (in a comment below) that whatever Tom saw might be his late wife, but I was joking. (It popped into my head when he said, "beautiful".) You make it sound feasible. Curse you. ;-) Are all of these dream sequences a foreshadowing that the whole invasion/occupation/resistance is just a dream?
Flag
The whole thing a dream sequence? Like Bobby Ewing in Dallas or Keneau Reeves in Devil's Advocate?

So in that scenario, freedom fighter Tom Mason finally strikes a truce between the competing alien factions, who all agree to mutually beneficial ways to co-exist. Upon waking up, President Tom Mason, surrounded by Secretary of Defense Weaver, HHS Secretary Ann, Press Secretary Karen, Minority Leader Pope, etc., finally has the courage to recognize the newly formed nations Volmway and Esphenistan. First dog Matt, a curly headed yapping poodle, barks his opposition to the amusement of all.
Flag
Oh, HELL yes! Two thumbs up!
Flag
Taylor: fair points on the amount of criticism. I guess for me, I find myself usually immersed in at most one show at a time (just due to time constraints), so I tend to put all my over-analysis energy into that one show. Last year it was on the gradual decline of "Homeland" (and the forum was the Rolling Stone ep review column). In both cases, the show, IMO, degraded season over season, but the online community analysis became pretty good sport shooting, so that in fact helped me stay with the show (that looks more and more twisted as I actually type it out...).

I'm the opposite of you - I can't put a book down, even if I find myself hating it in the middle, and I can count the exceptions to that on one hand throughout my life (one human hand, not Espheni). If I'm invested in it, I'm going to see it through more often than not. I can readily understand how someone reading my critique would question why I'm still a viewer!

Good predictions, btw. I think it's significant that the alien image in the mirror differs from what we would expect Tom to call "beautiful." Meaning the physical (which the mirror can't help but reflect) differs from Tom's perception. We also know there are holographic elements to his surrounding, mixed with physical. (He could touch the curtains but not the picture.) If it does turn out to be his wife or an imitator, it might turn into either "the aliens were among us all along" OR "the evolutionary experiments diverged from planet Earth to planet Skitter, and now it's time to merge."

More +
Flag
I just read a random comment on another blog that submitted that she is a female Espheni. That all of the Overlords we've seen so far have been male.

This also makes sense as they make a HUMAN (Karen) a new overlord, which brings the possibility that for whatever reason, they can't procreate. Not having females is the easiest answer to this. Perhaps it's a battle of sexes? Family sentiment is played heavily in here as well, which could point to either Tom's wife, or simply female Espheni. Another thought for discussion.
Flag
In retrospect, this show really started to fall way back with the introduction of the Espheni.

When it looked like the skitters were the invading force in and of themselves, it was pretty creepy. They could move faster and in more nimble ways than humans. The only way they could communicate with humans was by enslaving them. They had the eerie harness things that turned out to be parasitic creatures and appeared initially to be permanent implants. They had enough intelligence to effectively wipe out the planet's technology before committing a very selective genocide, leaving only the children alive for enslavement - also creepy. (The child actors were a little too robotic in some scenes, but the overall premise was still creepy.)

But the other thing that worked there - they weren't humanoid. They were disgusting and not something you'd want to battle and never something you could stomach being around your children. You didn't assign human motives to them - they are here for something, and they're very good at getting it, but what?

When the Espheni and then the Volm came around, it became cartoonish. I think the trap is in introducing a humanoid "superior intelligence" that is really in charge. That may save on special effects, but there are problems with it. It's actually more difficult to create and write, imo, because when we see humanoid aliens, we still map them onto our human behaviors, motions, traits, etc. The writers are even reinforcing that with all the familial bonds and their corresponding issues amongst the alien races.

So now it's really not much different than a war of nations from the plotline perspective, and that allows us viewers to pick apart the plot, the strategies, the technologies, etc., as if we're dealing with humans. (And a regular review of these comments will show you, they aren't thinking through a lot of the elements that we're catching.)

Because of this, the writers are now on the hook to come up with some motivation for the Espheni that reconciles all of their diverse tactics, weaponry, attempts at genocide / enslavement / mutation, etc. - ie why they involved Earth in their conflict in the first place. It has to be plausible and feel like a "humanoid" motivation. Whereas when they had only the skitters, they had open license to go anywhere with it. It's strange to say about a show ambitious enough to create a pan-galactic war, but it seems like they really took the easy way out when they went changed the skitters from the antagonists to the slave-warriors.

More+
Flag
Excellent. I personally was marking the decline from the arrival of the Volm (and especially how cartoonish they've made the Volm), but you're right about the Close Encounters-like Overlords; it took a lot of the horror out of the skitters when we started thinking of them as trained dogs. Something similar happened in Star Trek TNG when they started giving the Borg human traits; they became about half as scary. Well done.
Flag
A few more thoughts to wrap up the season:

- If the beamer batteries were being drained too fast, why didn’t they first try turning off whatever the gravity-sim was that held them to the floor?

- Who TF ever says “We broke bread together”?

- Lexie reminiscing about when she was “a kid”: [SNORT!] That was, what, last week?

- Why did Weaver have Matt practice throwing his knife at the skitter-target’s “heart”, when they clearly established in Season 1 or 2 that their vulnerable spot was their throat?

- The Espheni are, supposedly, beatable now that the 2nd Mass has destroyed their LONE power source (how backward, technologically, are we humans to have millions of power sources on our little planet); was that due to good ol’ American I mean, human spunk and ingenuity, or because the Espheni couldn’t seem to settle on one strategy, tactic, or weapon for more than a week or two at a time?

- This show’s been all about family, hasn’t it? The Overlord brothers, Coldcheese and his Baba and (at least) 9 dead brothers, the 2nd Mass mom-and-pop commando unit; they REALLY need to make whatever Tom saw in the final scene his skitterized dead wife, to seriously stir up the drama.

FS had potential in the first coupla seasons, but has since devolved into quite a mess. Still, it’s fun reading all the posts on this forum, so I think I can put up with it for one more season (besides, I wanna know if the moon is still full). See y’all next summer!

More+
Flag
Lexi isn't dead. She used her energy controlling powers to beam herself off the ship at the last second.

Even though their power is gone, the Esphenis and Skitters can still fight. We also don't know how much power reserves their machines have. We know the ships can store a power reserve and we know they were taking power from nuclear sites to power their machines.

Plus, they can still fight without machines. And you know the Esphenis are going to try and put another power generator up on the moon. And don't forget the harnessed zombies, nor the human to enemy ratio. So the fight isn't over. That's what I expect next season to deal with.
Flag
I cant believe i stayed and watched to the end of the season,
worst of all i cant believe somewhere deep down i hoped that the show would miraculously come good right at the end,
but actually whats really pathetic is that i believed something i knew wouldn't happen,
is it because im so desperate for a sci fi show? or is it because we all knew how good falling skies could of been, Falling skies could of been our new stargate, but, that was just wishful thinking,
Flag
I agree too! I view it as a Stargate light. However, they worked a generic formula which at the end ground, but how long did it last? We only need to look to Dr Who, change is the key :-D
Flag
I do love how many people are now coming to this board with the mission of pointing out the absurdities of the weekly FS offering. Not wanting to be left out this week any more than Lexi, here are mine.

- Pope: I will finally stop my snark to tell my arch frenemy that I can't stop seeing the faces of the dead. Tom: Let me completely condescend to you and mock you for caring for our dead friends.

- The scene with Tom and his three sons lined up in age order to discuss a problem, just made me think the original cast of My Three Sons could kick the Masons' tails. And Uncle Charlie would take Weaver down to boot.

- Speaking of Weaver, I simply don't buy any line coming from his mouth. I don't know the actor at all, but I have a feeling it's more the writers than the actor. He's written as a weird combination of grizzled military vet, burnout, and drama queen. Either he's spouting a feel-good cliche, scolding someone, or giving another sloppy farewell to a Mason, all in the voice of McGruff the Crime Dog.

- This nearly omnipotent alien hybrid claims to be aligned with us and is now our only shot for blowing up the moon base. Let's all rip on her on her way to the ship.

- I had to go back and verify this - Hal screwed up a line which was not caught by editing. As he hand's Tom the syringe, he actually says, "It should be enough to take down a VOLM" (not "an Espheni.")

- Hmm, so the original plan of sending two humans with no astronaut training to break the atmospheric barriers just may have been flawed, when we see Tom pinned to the wall by g-forces during take-off.

- Good thing the beamer's graphic display was equipped with icon sequences for "beamer going to moon," "beamer getting pulled into larger ship," "beamer abruptly disengaging from damaged larger ship" and "beamer squadron getting wiped out by Volm ship."
The designers of those unmanned drone ships thought of everything, except that the super tall Espheni shouldn't have the main control wire box thingy only come up to their mid-calf level.

- Oh for the love of Pete, we all knew it was a dream sequence the moment we came back from commercial! You really dragged it on for the entire second half of the show???

- If they really just wanted to mine the moon, they certainly would've had an easier time just landing in the dark, building their equipment, and protecting it with a small military cadre. Earth would take long enough to even detect it, much less get their sh!t together in light of the event to mount a response. Then once they pillaged enough of it, the earth's climate would wipe out the humans for them.

- Of course the last remaining gullible pacifist is the first one to get dropped by the Skittomatic 3000.

- Has there ever been a less effective defense against an encroaching mist than Weaver and Matt randomly leaning plywood rectangles against it?

- Note to Tom, when you have your pistol pointed at your lethal arch-enemy who you know has some telekinetic powers, JUST SHOOT THE GUY.

- I did love all of Hal's passive-aggressive digs on Ben and Maggie.

- I actually think Lexi handles the clumsy dialog best on the show. She's the only one who doesn't make me feel like she's just reading aloud from a comic book.

- S5 prediction: Matt's harnessed girlfriend has stowed away on the beamer home and will continue to cause trouble, effectively reminding us all what a real threat Karen was. (My other prediction is: harnessed dolphins, apes and bengal tigers.)

- Matt's little outrages are sooooo old. And they completely disrupt all flow of the show. Maybe he's really still mad at whoever gave him that perm between the seasons 2 and 3?

- Did anyone else expect the spinning Tom to pass by a spinning Darth Vader in his TIE fighter?

Well it was great sharing this intellectual pursuit with you all this season. Just like the real show, we will see who is still with the forum next summer.
More+
Flag
The syringe was indeed used to kill Volm... by Volm themselves. The dialogue by Hal is: "I got this serum from the Volm. They carry it on them in case they get captured by the Espheni. It's a fast-acting poison. Now, if that's strong enough to take down a Volm before it can regenerate, might be able to kill a hybrid."

So the Volm use the serum as suicide pill when they get caught (remember, the Volm are the ones who regenerate. That makes hard to kill yourself, apparently.)

And the purpose of base on the moon wasn't mining, it used the mining to fuel itself, but it was a power plant that had to send a beam to the surface of the Earth, so dark side couldn't do.

I share your thoughts on Scarlett Byrne/Lexi. For such a potentially terrible character, her line-reading constantly felt believable. I just wish we had seen the scene when the Espheni bought her that red dress. Because "alien uber-predators indulge teen blonde Dr. Manhattan's fashion fantasies" should have been put on film.
Flag
"Hmm, so the original plan of sending two humans with no astronaut training to break the atmospheric barriers just may have been flawed, when we see Tom pinned to the wall by g-forces during take-off."

Lexie was controlling the ascent, so it didn't go like they had originally planned, which was a SLOW ascent. Lexie just turned on the after burners and let her rip, which pinned Tom to this chair.
Flag
Weaver (Will Patton) was fairly good in Gone in 60 Seconds, but I don't really remember him in anything else. I think it's the writers and, probably, the directors. Mira Sorvino, in particular, is almost pathetically unbelievable in her role, and I'm certain she can act.

My interpretation of the syringe thing was that Hal gave it to Tom as a suicide pill, of sorts, in case he was captured. He was assuring Tom that it would work quickly and effectively when he said it would even "take down a Volm", referring to the Volms' regenerative abilities, demonstrated earlier in the season when Skitter-Jeanie mysteriously attacked Cochise. The writers lamely thought to surprise us when Tom used it as a weapon, after not using the sidearm he held in front of him as he entered the Espheni ship because...well, so that the writers could have him use the syringe.
Flag
Remember the Titans? Armageddon? He was awesome in those. If you haven't seen them, go rent them ASAP.
Flag
What I took away from that scene was that Lexie could hear them talking, so Hal gave the syringe to Tom in case he had to KILL Lexie, not a Volm or Espheni. Remember, they still didn't trust her.

I think if you watch that scene again, you can see Hal kinda wink, wink, nudge, nudge when he give the syringe to his Dad.
Flag
It's not wink wink nudge nudge. Hal said that the serum is used by the Volm as a suicide pill, and since the Volm are almost unkillable (as he reminds us, they regenerate), something able to kill them might be strong enough to kill Lexi too. I transcribed the full dialogue above. It's not really ambiguous.
Flag
Shame on me for watching it twice and missing that then! I picked up on Hal giving to Tom in case he needed to kill Lexi. But I totally missed that it was a Volm cyanide-under-the-tongue equivalent, which would indeed make the line make sense.

A little questionable logic on thinking that a bio-agent engineered for one species (one with regenerative powers no less) would work equally on another from a different part of the universe, but I guess it's the same logic that lets harness creatures enslave both skitters and human teenagers. And hey, it worked...
Flag
Would have loved to see spinning Tom to pass by spinning Darth Vader, now I will remember it as if it happened that way...
Flag
Tom's reaction to the new species appears to me to be some sort of pheromone/mind control. I hope I'm wrong, because we had plenty of that kind of stuff with Matt's school, Lexi, and the harnesses. Plus those story lines take up way too much time before someone who wasn't affected by the hypnosis shatters the illusion Yada Yada yada.

I'm not 100% about Lexi's fate, because that would mean Mira bought it and wasn't redeemed. Also, what happened to Ben's spiked friend/girlfriend? She was with Anne's group at the beginning but wasn't really shown again. She was kind of a major character from a season or two back to kill off in the explosion without mentioning.
Flag
It was ok. I think Cochise isn't all he acts to be and there is something more devious in him than he acts on be aware. He is too accommodating in my opinion. Pastor hartwell
Flag
Papa! "It's about earths moon!"
Maybe u gotta point!
Flag

The Volm can travel between star systems in a reasonable amount of time but can't detect a ship within our inner solar system that they were in close proximity to, or a large power source on the moon?

The power generator was seriously unguarded?

Wouldn't it be tactically sensible to have a base on the moon, around or near the power generator, as a fallback position that human are far less likely to get to as opposed to bases on Earth?

Wouldn't it also make sense to have multiple power generators on the moon for redundancy in the event of a malfunction or attack, and so you have more power available?

The Espheni haven't learned to restrain captured humans?

You take a trip to the moon in a alien spaceship not knowing what you'll encounter, but you don't think to bring extra bombs, a bunch of weapons for close range & hand-to-hand combat, or maybe a suicide vest? Most people are more prepared to go camping that Tom was to travel into space.

So the Espheni just release their various bizarre weapons and creatures to attack things instead of just bombing any area with several heat signatures? How have they decimated many races of other worlds without a cohesive battle plan?
More+
Flag
They obvously consider the humans almost beneath any consideration and nothing more than a nusance at worst. Why invest more than you absolutely must?
Flag
It seems evident they did NOT invest what they absolutely must, though. This strategy works only if you then win.
Flag
I don't think the aliens that saved Tom are actually a new race but the skitters before being transformed....
Flag
Nothing scarier than big ass fog slugs and what the shit!! was that Deoxys at the end?
Flag
I don't know what to expect from the new alien race, there is no time for a depth story for them.
I suppose their plan will be revealed as soon as episode 1 ends. Since Eshpani arc may be over, maybe the new race will want humans help to fight the volms! And when Tom refuses, humans will end up helping the volms by fighting the new race.
Flag
For once in American SciFi, I would like the antagonist win. I would love to see a decisive victory by the Espheni, and then see exactly what they intend to do with Earth after it's won. In the movie "Skyline" from 2010, the aliens won, and that made the movie distinctive and memorable. In 1959, the Nevil Shute novel "On the Beach" was brought to film, and as in the book, all humans perished. The message of both films was the same and powerful - enjoy our time -now- as there may not be a later. It would be extremely interesting to see humanity lose, then see the focus of season 5 become the conflict between the Espheni and the Volm....sort of like what was done in Gene Roddenberry's "Earth: Final Conflict". Humans haven't been very good stewards of Earth, so maybe another race should get a shot. To watch the 2nd mass, what's left of it, watch as Espheni and Volm go to it, realize they're fighting for what we once had free and clear, would be interesting. Seeing another cookie-cutter ending where human's win, like I am sure season 5 will be, just doesn't interest me. I wonder what J. Michael Straczynski (creator of Babylon-5) would do with season 5 of Falling Skies?
More+
Flag
First I must commend you on your user name one of the most memorable stories that graced the pages of Heavy Metal Magazine Den. After watching the fourth season’s final I remembered a television show by Gene Rodenberry but could not remember I went to this site and read a few post and there it was as bright as day in yours. I plan on watching Earth Final Conflict to give me my Sci-fi fix; Skylines was a good movie but the masses did not take to it.The idea of humans sitting on the sidelines as two advanced alien races fight for the control of the planet would be an interesting show.
Flag
Hee Hee, I still have the entire Den story line in my old Metal Hurlant mags..... Those Drammites were some bad MoFos I tell you what!!!

Heavy Metal for us American types. :)
Flag
D Dilemma that is lexie or is it Lexi, 1st she was black & small, then she was white & grown,then she was human, then she was eshpani, then she was both (hbrid), then she was gud, then she was bad, then she was gud again, then she had white silvery hair, then black hair & now she is dead or alive! (also she's a Jedi of sorts!)... PHEW! Safe to say d show writers probably have a roulette machine of sorts when it comes to Lexei/Lexi....!!
Flag
That was incredible, and by that I mean, I can't believe how bad it was. I'm talking about episode 12 only, because apparently I missed episode 11. That made the start of the episode pretty confusing, but I didn't immediately conclude that I must have missed an episode. I figured the writing was probably so bad that it only seemed like I had missed an episode.

OK, I was wrong about that, but the rest was certainly bad enough. These are some of the things that deserve to be made fun of:

* Knife throwing? Really? I'm OK with them practicing it for fun, but not with Weaver suggesting that it's a very important skill.
* Tom had a gun on that Eshpheni guy, but chose not to pull the trigger as the Eshpheni walked up to Tom and backhand-punched him in the face.
* The safety device used to control Lexi was a necklace. It might have been better to use something that isn't quite as easy to remove. Also, the Espheni immediately explained that it was the necklace.
* How exactly does mist prevent you from moving the parts of you that are near the ground? I suppose it could glue whatever comes in contact with the ground to the ground, but the first thing that would happen is just that you'd lose a shoe. And you probably wouldn't be able to breathe when you're in the mist.
* Matt was sitting with his hands down towards the ground, and they didn't stick.
* Weaver told matt to get his knife and get ready to throw it. That's Under the dome stupid. How about just cutting the first thing that attacks you? You're a lot less likely to miss, and you will still have a weapon that you can use on the second thing that attacks you.
* The "fight isn't over till it's over" chant. *Faceplant*
* The Espheni turned his back on Tom long enough for him to walk up and literally stab him in the back, with a poison syringe. It also didn't look like you'd be able to get a needle through that suit easily.
* Everything about the design of the Espheni ship, in particular their communication devices and those stupid wires that they use to control things. But OK, that's equally awful in other episodes.
* Weaver noticed that the alien thingy was less effective without the full use of its "umbilical cord". And yet he did nothing to try to sever it, except for trying to push the window closed.
* When Sarah shot the alien thingy of Dingaan's chest (apparently that's his name) she was in a position from which it was 100% impossible to hit the alien thingy without hitting Dingaan's chest. That thing was on a straight line from the gun to his heart.
* Anne fell asleep before the mist was gone, while Weaver was still fighting for his life.
* Matt's reaction to the information from Cochise was incredibly ridiculous. What was he trying to do exactly?
* The dialogue. It has always been bad on this show, but it hasn't been this bad for a while.

More+
Flag
Matt's reaction to Cochise... I was wondering the same thing! I'm like dude, are you trying to hug him to death??
Flag
Personally I gave up half way into season 3 when things started to get weird. You have my full admiration for sticking with this crap for this long....but why?
Flag
I watch a lot of TV in general, and I'm a bit obsessed with with sci-fi and superhero type shows. It takes a lot for me to drop a show in one of those categories. Also, I may not have given that impression, but I have found most of this season entertaining, even though I thought it was far from good. I have often chosen to watch Falling Skies first of all the Sunday shows I had downloaded. This was the first time this season that the bad writing really irritated me.
Flag
Minor quibble: The best evidence seems to indicate that the character's nickname is spelled Lexi rather than Lexie.
Flag
What I'd like to see in season 5:
-Ben's death
-The humans working with the Volm and this new alien race to wipe out the Espheni... only to then have the humans wipe out the Volm and this new alien race, in a surprise back-stab, to show how terrible our true nature really is
-Lexie, Matt, and Hal being the only Mason family survivors
-Weaver becoming the president of the new world

I'd give a season with all that a 5/5
Flag
Bens death should've happened in season two.
Flag
Next episode I want to see Cochise and his "bahbah" playing baseball and doing other father-and-son bonding activities.
Flag
Also LOL. You made me wanna stick around for S05 to see if they show us what the Volm call their mothers.
Flag
will rate that episode 10/10!! LOL
Flag
I liked it for the most part except that I hate dream sequences! Today I had to think to remember which one was the dream and which one was the "reality." It just seemed like an unnecessary way to s-t-r-e-t-c-h out the finale. Could have wrapped it up in one hour.
Flag
Whatever they do with the final season, please oh please DO NOT end it in the last 2 episodes only. If we're going to win or lose, start early so it's not a season of fillers and then only two episodes of anything interesting. AND NO FLASHBACK/CLIPSHOW episodes.
Flag
Captain's log: We are now in day 8 of the full moon. Ocean tides have become unpredictable, coyotes are appearing and disappearing at random...

The alien fog/cement seem to have a narcotic effect on Anne and Matt. "Go ahead and struggle, Dan [yawn], we need a nap."

"I hope you know how to use that thing."
"No, they only gave it to me at my sentry post 'cause it improves the feng shui. It's main purpose is to invoke tired clichés."

"I know about your plan to blow up the moon base, and I know how to fly a beamer. Take me."
"Ok"

Lexie looking just like Anne in the dream sequences was almost a little creepy...

Note to self: Next time I invade another planet, bring TWO mining/generator platforms. And put security around it, since I'm fighting a foe with interplanetary capability, not to mention the Even Bigger Threat.

How cool is it that Espheni tactical displays are based on Space Invaders?!

Even though the moon's gravity affects tides on Earth, Lexie couldn't find any to manipulate when they were just a few (?) miles away from it?

How sentimental of Tom to bring Epictetus with him on the moon flight. I think I'd have brought a granola bar and a thermos of coffee.

POPE! QUIT SHOUTING! YOU'RE ATTRACTING THEM! HOLD ON, I'LL SHOOT THEM. WHAT IS THAT ON HIS CHEST? LET ME DO MY THING! SAY THANK YOU!

C'mon, Matt, let's chant lame Yogi Berra quotes until the giant alien long-tailed slugs kill us. It ain't over 'til it's over. The future ain't what it used to be...

Did anyone NOT know that an alien slug was going to come through that window and grab Dan?

Poor Tom had to puke up oxygen-enriched fluids just like the rat in The Abyss.

"It's proteins and amino acids and a lot of other sciency stuff that our writers can't be bothered to justify."

Didn't I tell you they'd gloss over the life support?

Tom returned to the inspirational speech this week, giving a total snoozer that made the already-way-too-long dream sequence even more tortuous.

Why are the mechs sleek and shiny and stainless and symmetrical, but the insides of the beamers look like somebody's bad haunted house decorations?

Dad! You remember that shining green dot on Earth's moon? You're not gonna believe this, but IT is the Espheni power source! No, really!

Why is the picture a hologram, but the bed and floor and curtains aren't?

Mrs. Robinskitter, are you trying to seduce me?

More+
Flag
The moon thing cracks me up. Someone on the writing staff knew *just enough* about Tesla to incorporate controllable, wireless transmission of electricity (if they were really on their game, they would've referenced the voices Tesla claimed to have heard in his head which inspired some of his ideas).

However, their scientific acumen wasn't keen enough to consider the problem of a fixed station beaming energy to another celestial body, when the station is on a rotating body orbiting its target, also rotating. Instead, they just said, "screw it, let's freeze the moon in place."

We'll also ignore for now the physics of the energy produced by the operation being sufficient to perpetually power the facility AND beam energy all the way to Earth AND power a planet's worth of war machinery. And that the Volm have no power source of their own for all their non-Earthly technology.

Yeah yeah, I know it's science fiction, but if the science is going to take such a big role, it should at least pass the snicker test.
Flag
They actually didn't freeze the moon in place, they froze it in orbit over North America. Our boys and girls see the moon (full) at night AND in daylight. Somehow, though, that didn't clue the Volm that MAYBE that's where the power source was. And the Volm can track Espheni beamers and what-not, but they can't detect a how-many-joules energy transmission from outer space.

[snicker]
Flag
"Lexie looking just like Anne in the dream sequences was almost a little creepy..."

The actress Scarlett Byrne is a brunette in real life: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2906885/

You're welcome! ;-)
Flag
I'm aware of that; I've seen all the Harry Potter films. I was referring to her hair style and clothing.

But thanks anyway.
Flag
Oops. The above should read, "...the alien fog/cement seemed...". I HATE when I do that...

Flag
I had the opposite feeling of these episodes - I thought the stupid dream sequence was both too predictable and boring but I thoroughly enjoyed the second episode.

Also I sure wouldn't be holding your breath in your hopes for next season to be about recovery and post armageddon life. Next season is all about trying to find a way to kick the true villains to the curb: The Volm.
Flag
Is this show worth watching?
I watched the first 4 episodes of season 1 and I'm on the fence. It has an interesting premiss but I found it very boring. Reminded me of The Walking Dead - Too much drama and not enough action. Does it get better or does it continue with the family drama that I couldn't care less about? (I'm all for drama but in a sci-fi series it shouldn't be thrown at you from the get go)
So should I continue watching?
Flag
If you are that shallow and prefer action over story, then the show is not for you.
Flag
Clearly you misunderstood me. I love Family/character drama! But all the drama in the first few episodes were misplaced. Why the hell should I care about characters that I don't know?
And the only story in the first episodes was elians took over, life sucks ass, my son\brother is an elian slave. Not much in four episodes, and lots of drama for lots of characters that I don't know yet. Seemed misplaced for me, especial from what I heard about the series.
The most important thing for me in series is the story. Thank you very much for your "helpful" reply.
Flag
To know the characters you have to watch more than a couple of episodes like any other show... but if deep inside, you just prefer explosions and dumb juvenile humor, that's your problem.
Flag
It's nothing like The Walking Dead. That comparison doesn't make any sense to me. Those shows are extremely different, and the acting, directing etc., even the writing, on TWD, is on a much higher level.

Falling Skies has changed somewhat since the start. Some things are better. Some things are worse. In those early episodes they were wasting enormous amounts of time just talking how life sucks after the invasion, and how much it was better before. They kept doing that for a long time, but I think they've been doing it less and less. On the other hand, the show has gotten more nonsensical as they've introduced new weapons, strategies and aliens. The show is still a giant mess, but it is perhaps a bit less boring than it used to be.
Flag
I tell ppl its just like the Walking Dead, replace zombies with aliens. So if you feel there's too much drama, you probably will feel the same with Falling Skies.
Flag
First season of TWD was pretty boring for me, but I love the character drama there is know, that's the whole reason I still tune in, because I love and care for the characters.
Flag
The alien at the end is more likely the original skitter race - not Lexi reborn...again.
The skitters were harnessed too, and the new alien looks like what they could have been. It was most likely some beautiful/peaceful dragonfly/butterfly like insect race.
Flag
Good theory. It explains why Tom is surprised they were originally beautiful, but the harness made them look like monsters, similarily to what happens with humans.
Flag
This show just gets dumber by the episode. The entire power station on the moon thing is so stupid to begin with. So destroying an unguarded base on the moon cripples their entire operation on Earth? Why the hell didn't the Volm blow it up in the first place? Makes no sense at all. And yes I realize I'm talking about a show that hasn't made sense since the pilot.

Also the family reunion with Lexi had no weight what so ever. The whole let's be pissed off at Lexi was an obvious set up for a redemption story later on and I just think that's so boring. In a war the one with the biggest weapon wins and Lexi is a pretty big fucking weapon for humankind in general. I'm not talking about happy family reunion time, but let's hear what she has to say before all the casting out talk. I did love that nobody freaked out after she stopped a bullet with her mind and simply picked it out of the air. Seriously, let's be pissed at the girl that just took out a fighter squadron and stopped a bullet with her mind. Let's NOT hear what she has to say....

I do have a problem with the explanation of her powers. It's gravity based? Scientifically that makes no sense if you can destroy the molecular bonds between atoms. Those are electrical forces to begin with and have nothing to do with earth based gravity. Her powers should work in space just as easily, as far as blowing shit up with your mind is easy.

I also like to point out that I was very happy with the Lexi story line as it offered the writers a real way out of the mess they created. Let's face it a bunch of humans aren't going to stop an alien force by themselves, especially Tom and his merry band of morons. Lexi offered a chance at victory in a somewhat believable way. A human with the power of a god, created by the invaders themselves and destroying them all sounds like a perfect way to end the series. So yes, Lexi must live. Maybe if we chant it a couple of times it will work... Lexi must live, Lexi must live, etc.
More+
Flag
I don't get Lexi referencing the gravity of the moon either, especially because at first she didn't explain her powers that way. The first line, when they were still on Earth, was: "It's like I can see energy, manipulate it, all of it... gravity, radio waves, electrical charges." Not that it actually makes sense, since gravity and radio waves aren't "energy" (I strongly believe the writers wanted to say "forces"), but at least she put it like she can manipulate all of these things, unrelated to local gravity.

The second dialogue was somehow baffling.

Lexi:
What I do relies on concentration, directing the natural forces around me like gravity, which doesn't work in this vacuum.
Tom:
Okay, well, when we get closer to the lunar surface, you can't use the Moon's gravity?

I can't even correctly parse the first sentence, actually. And use the Moon's gravity for what? It sounds like the most half-assed excuse for, "I can't Dr. Manhattan this issue away, otherwise we won't have a story to tell".

More +
Flag
They definitively need a science guy on the writing team.

Even in the vacuum of space there are forces, particles and waves (light, radio, radiation) enough to kick ass with if you can manipulate them.

Also not testing a crashed ship for hull breaches before you are taking it into space was a really smart move. I also loved how the ship was leaking oxygen and getting colder, but somehow after the cocoon thing the ship was fine. They also steered clear of any explanation why the bombs were destroyed by lack of atmosphere or cold.

Another fault in their logic. Why crash the perfectly fine big ship? The smaller ship's autopilot was fine and they knew the smaller ship was too damaged to support life for much longer. Made no sense.

I understand Science Fiction needs some creative freedom for it to be science fiction, but not when it comes to basic physics or science in general.
Flag
Yeah, a feast of contrivances doesn't sci-fi make.

They absolutely had to engineer Lexi's sacrifice, because reasons. You could say because drama, but then Tom just watched the ship explode out of the window (apparently, the Espheni build the most stowaway-friendly unmanned drones ever – not to mention, why in the hell should you plan a way to send your drones on the moon? What could ever be the purpose of that?), and he just smiles and says, "You did it, baby". So he's essentially glad that his daughter suicide-bombed herself?

He didn't start that way, it was a slow, constant process, but in the end Tom Mason managed to become one of the worst protagonists in TV history.
Flag
So, the show "hasn't made sense since the pilot" but you still watch it after four freaking seasons? You must be a masochist that loves watching crap then! Regarding them being pissed off at Lexi was one of the few things that did make sense, she destroying those ships could've been part of the Espheni plan, they had enough reasons to not trust her. But it is right that unfortunately, as most sci-fi shows, there are many plot holes indeed regarding science or just simple logic.

And oh yes, Lexi must live, Lexi must return!!
Flag
I really hate when people make idiotic comments. The stupidest part of this whole post is "I realize I'm talking about a show that hasn't made sense since the pilot", yet the writer is still watching it. Now that makes that person dumber than the comments he wrote. Stop watching the tv show, if you don't like it. I mean really.
Flag
I liked his post, and you can watch something and critique it. That's what some fans do. It's not against the law.
Flag
Yes, still watching after 4 seasons. What can I say.... I know I'm no masochist. I just really like Science Fiction as a genre. Watching crap shows for fun (like under the dome and defiance) because they are so damn ridiculous is fun for me.

My comments merely reflect my frustration with an entertaining show that could have been a whole lot better and which in my opinion truly hasn't made sense since the pilot.

If Falling Skies made sense to you please refrain from insults and try to voice your opinion why the show makes sense to you.
Flag
I think you meant to reply to the guy I replied to, because I wasn't insulting you.

Also, I've stuck around for pretty much the same reasons as you have. I love the genre. Even when it's poorly done.

I was surprised how "weird" Defiance got this season, but I still wasn't impressed with how the season-long arc played out. Whereas, Falling Skies has left me disappointed pretty much the entire season.
Flag
I have one wish for s05 - more Pope......love that man. :)
Flag
Not bad but I hope they bring in a new show runner next season.

Look like the Espheni wasn't lying about there being another enemy out there. One that apparently can manipulate the human minds so that humans think they are beautiful and there ships are undetectable to Volm scanners.

There was a bit to much talking for my like and not enough action. Half burnt and mason needed to have a bigger battle scene.

Cochise father issues. Having the volm being around this season has been fun.

If I was the writers I would had cut out almost of the Tenth episode which was frankly dull and the key story points were repeated again in 11th episode (signs of BSG show runners taking over the show there), apart from the bit with lexi turning on the volm and put most of the eleventh episode into the tenth with a few scenes of them learning to control the vessel.

I would have had the 11 be the horror show one, as the 2nd mass defend the ship whilst it charges up and they assemble the bomb.

Why the 12th one would be Lexi and Tom bonding together on their mission to the moon, Volm contacting their mother ship and 2nd mass organise themselves for a counter offensive.

What I want in the 5th season

Volm, Espheni and Human learning together to fight this new enemy that has arrive.

2nd Mass to grow into the large army it was in the first and second season, a flash forward a few months.

No more repeating the storylines you just done in the previous episode, there isn't enough episodes for that shit.

A large scale space battle with Volm, Espehni and these new aliens.

Hope, a scene at the end where we see the 2nd mass build themselves a new home.
No lexi being alive , let leave the old alien/human hybrid storyline behind us.

Flash forward scene with 3 old men, pope, Tom and Weaver bickering on rocking chairs, surrounded by grand kids.

Another flash forward scene where we see Humanity venturing into the stars on their own ship.
A larger budget, this year it felt like the show have had it budget substantially cut from the last 2 seasons.

More+
Flag
The best thing about the series finale was that there was no Ben and Maggie creepiness. I really hope they're done with that storyline.
Flag
Well, they appear that they're done with that storyline in the sense that now Ben and Maggie are officially an item. See Hal telling Maggie, "We can still be friends (even if you're screwing my little brother)".
Flag
What's more annoying is Hal's hypocrisy. Hurt little baby...
Flag
Some days I really wonder if the reviewers watch the shows they review at all.

The "unknown" alien is Cochise's father - Waschak-cha'ab (spelling?) - the guy we saw a lot of in the third season. He finally decided to help his son (which was the whole point in the last episodes showing Cochise trying to reach his father and finally telling Tom what is the situation)- and the humans. Of course Tom knows him... And that's why after the alien blows the ships out of space, Tom says "Oh, thank you Cochise". They even showed the face of the Volm leader on the screen in case someone misses to recognize the voice or the thanks from Tom.
Flag
I think the reviewer refers to the new unknown alien that Tom meets at the end of the episode in his holo-deck-like room/prison/chamber of secrets. The one he tells "you're beautiful." I don't think he'd address Conchise's dad like that ;D
Flag
Yeah, I think you are right rereading the comment...
Flag
Honestly, I have enjoyed this season. It's been completely daft at times, totally cliched other times, but it entertained me. I wanted to know what was going to happen, I enjoy the characters, I don't expect high art. I wish they'd do more with some of the characters (such as Weaver, who has become a supporting player), and there is the occasional one I don't like (Sarah for one), but on the whole the show still works for me. The sooner Matt gets over the teen rebellion thing the better, and I still tend to fast forward Tom's speeches, but I really thought this season was much better than season three. I read about the love triangle before it started and thought it would be awful, but thought it was quite well done (I seem to be alone in this) and enjoyed watching it unfold (as vanilla and adolescent as things were), probably because I've always liked Ben so much more than Hal. He deserves to be happy.

Anyway, I'll be tuning in for season five, and I'll be sad when the show ends.
Flag
This series was weakly written, but strongly acted. I pity the actors as they have really come on leaps and bounds. Pope was the only character which really got developed in the entire series. It would be good just to have a stand alone episode or a two for Cochise, and to show us the galaxy and empathize when one of the alien allies dies. They're just too 'red jumper' cannon fodder.

Sack the script writers, or tell the HIPPO to leave the room. All the cliches in the book. Oh, let's make a concentration camp and ring the gulag bell, oh a love triangle, oh a minor character sacrifice, oh a traitor, oh a few minor boss fights - KO already.

Surely to just freeze or hibernate humans would be more cost effective, or just kill off all the bees on the planet and we'll all die.

I had high hopes for this season, I'm now no longer recommending it. Judging by the lack of enthusiasm, others too, think the same.

Flag
I'm legitimately surprised that the Espheni do not have all purpose interior defense tentacles in their capital ships to restrain prisoners or Tom Mason. It would seem they've only designed their warships for the express purpose of repelling only Volm. For a realativly advanced race capable of conquering worlds (and apparently having fought more advanced civilizations) this is extremely short-sighted.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members