A Falling Skies Community
TNT (ended 2015)

Falling Skies S03E07: "The Pickett Line"

On this week's Very Special Episode of Falling Skies, Matt Mason wasted a mountain man who stole his horse (and tried to stab his brother in the face), and the Masons and the Picketts learned what it really means to be human.  I think we've reached so-bad-it's-good territory! So excited! 

Despite the fact that NO ONE ACTUALLY KNOWS WHERE ANNIE AND ALEXIS ARE, Tom and his flawless sons left Charleston behind in search of their surrogate mommy and creepy alien stepsister. Eventually, it was declared that Anne and and Alexis were in Mechanicsville... though based on what lead, I do not know. Along the way, the band of brothers (and dad) ran into a dying rebel skitter and I decided that I feel sadder when skitters die than I do when humans perish on this show, mostly because the humans are increasingly irritating and the ones who do croak are usually relatively unimportant outside of being plot points. At least the rebel skitters are kind of interesting. 

While on the run from some mechs, the Masons ran into the Picketts because no post-apocalyptic tale is complete without the obligatory reminder that the family from Deliverance will always, always, always be more dangerous and terrifying than the extraterrestrials. Before we met the Picketts, however, Tom voiced his decision that maaaaybe the Mason famdidly shouldn't return to Charleston after they find their women. After all, Ben gets enough flack for his spikes, and now Hal can never be trusted again ever, and Alexis isn't even human. Who cares if Tom Mason is Falling Skies' chosen one, the only human in Charleston who never makes the wrong decision ever? Can we talk about how eagerly Tom shirked his responsibility to the people he'd sworn to lead when he let himself be elected president? Ditching his office was bad enough, even if it was at least marginally understandable, and given his eternal emotional compromise, it might have been a very good call if not for the fact that Marina is SO OBVIOUSLY SKETCHY AND SNEAKY AND AWFUL AND OMG I JUST CAN'T WITH THE WILLFUL BLINDNESS FROM ALL OF THE PEOPLE ANYMORE UGGGHAKLJASKDL JASKLF!!!1!

Okay. I'm fine. I got it out of my system and I'm fine. 

Anyway. Tom ditching the presidency was kind of selfish, but not irredeemably selfish, if that makes sense. Sure, he stepped down to pursue his own wants, the state of the fledgling union be damned, but at least he was honest. He knew he couldn't be an effective leader in his current situation. But this new decision to not go back to Charleston at all seems like overkill. The battle is far from over, even with the Volm's help, which—surprise!—may not actually be help after all. Tom was the only guy in the entire city who had absolute faith in the Volm's plan, and Marina was at odds with him over the super cannon before he stepped down; he had to realize that she'd use her shiny new executive powers to enforce her own policies concerning the Volm, and that they'd certainly be drastically different than his own. 

Whining aside, I will say that Falling Skies has done a good job of keeping the nature of the Volm's true intentions pretty solidly ambiguous. I've gone back and forth on whether they're good or bad so many times I've developed vertigo, and this late in the season, that's rather remarkable and enjoyable. Picking up his "mouthpiece of the viewers" role yet again, Pope took a page out of Thoreau's book and called on the unwashed masses of Charleston to defy what he recognized as an increasingly totalitarian state under Marina's influence, only to have Weaver turn around and arrest him... only to have Weaver turn around and let him go because something's totally fishy in Chucktown and Pope is the only human in the city with any freaking common sense left. 

Also: Lourdes! You BAMF-y brainwashed mole, you! Look at you! Assassinating the president with the same gun that blew a hole in Manchester and everything. Admittedly, the actual assassination was kind of awesome. I was expecting arsenic in the IV lines or something. I guess that would have too quickly implicated her, though—and can we please not with the guppies swimming around in her face? I mean, gag. 

All in all, "The Pickett Line" was a good Falling Skies episode in that it confirmed some theories, raised some new possibilities, and kept us entertained. However, it was also very silly. It was only a matter of time before Matt Mason killed a person and forced us all to think deep thoughts about it, and I knew it was going to be as preachy as Sunday morning after you get caught streaking in your grandma's backyard, but that was just priceless. Self-righteous much, Mason family? 

NOTES

– The inevitable problem with splitting the ongoing narrative into two distinct stories—The Mason Family Adventure Hour and Something's Rotten in the Town of Charleston—is that one is invariably more appealing than the other. Personally, I'm more invested in the goings-on in Charleston. Some of you might prefer to hang out with with the Masons. Unfortunately, the split makes for some disjointed episodes when you're forced to spend half the time waiting to get back to the group you're actually interested in. 

– Hey everybody! Lourdes is the mole! Congrats and confetti to those of you who called it! Marina is still totally a baddie though, right? Or am I just sounding desperate now? 

Christopher Heyerdahl played Mr. Pickett. Hi, Alastair! <3<3<3

– On that note, does Falling Skies have some sweet guest-star action this season or what? 

– Here are the humans' options, according to Cochise:

1. Use the super cannon to overload the generator shielding the planet, or drop dead of radiation poisoning in about three months. 

2. Use the super cannon to overload the generator shielding the planet, accidentally kick the sucker into overdrive, and drop dead of radiation poisoning ahead of schedule. 

3. Use the super cannon and (maybe) win?

This plan sucks. 

– Will the Masons return to Charleston to save everybody with their sheer Mason-ness, or is Falling Skies setting itself up for a fourth season that eschews the "comforts" of Charleston in favor of a return to the migrant militia the show started out with? Is that something you'd want?

What'd you think of "The Pickett Line"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/30/2015

Season 5 : Episode 10

92 Comments
Comments (92)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
From all the great roles Heyerdahl had, why did choose a small one? He was Jack the Ripper (John Druitt) in Sanctuary, also Big Guy in the same Sanctuary (did two roles at the same time), Todd the Wraith in Stargate: Atlantis and he's Thor Mutherfuckin Gunderson aka The Swede in Hell on Wheels! I think those are better options.
Flag
I've been an avid reader of tv.com reviews on several shows (those from The Following were hillarious) but I had to create an account because I wanted to point this out... How is it possible that in 91 comments, only the first one says that Mechanicsville had already been talked about in episode 6 final scenes?!

This show might not be awesome as other sci-fi ones, like X-Files or Fringe, but it's a good one and it's coherent. Ok, some storylines are bad but if all shows were as good and compelent as the examples above mentioned (or some others, from different genres), I wouldn't do anything else but to be in front of the computer or television. And there are a lot of shows way worse than this... Under the Dome or Revolution -> facepalm.
Flag
I called that bitch Lourdes for the mole ages ago! Go me! *Gives himself many mental high-fives*
Flag

After reading the comments here I love how incredulous I am that none of these idiots are able to follow story or have any experience watching TV shows. You don't simply cut out the main stars of a show for an entire episode, just to focus on the story around them. Name a successful show that has ever done that.

It never happened in Eureka. It never happened in Galactica. Never happened in Stargate, or Star Trek, or Lost, or Walking Dead, or Game of Thrones (but everyone is a main star in that show until next season when the book introduces way too many characters).

They aren't going to just cut out the Masons. Noah Wyle is the star of the show, and he has the best character. Colin Cunningham and Will Patton are the others. You could have an episode focus on Popetown, sure, but it would be just as boring as say the GOD AWFUL boxing episode of Galactica.
Flag
I love the hipster ass reviews of this show. Really? What show do you consider good? If this episode was bad then fuck, every episode of Lost, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Stargate, Star Trek, Tudors, Hyperdrive, X-Files, Dr. Who, Revolution, and any show I can thank of must just be terrible.
Flag
Revolution? Nuff said ...
Flag
It must be hard to write reviews for Falling Skies.
That is why I have to praise Mary-Ann to the sky for her effort.
Flag
Let's just say that we considered doing them, but realized it would be all negative, all the time. Mary-Ann does a much better job of balancing her dissatisfaction with constructive comments. And wit to boot!
Flag
1. When I saw the masked guys armed with a shotguns I was like "WTF? What is IRA doing in Falling Skies?!" I think I watched one too many movies about the Troubles...

2. I'm disappointed that Picketts' girl didn't join the Masons. Men to women ratio in Falling Skies is very uncool.

3. Lourdes - the guppies in her face reminded me about Goa'uld queens. I wonder who will she infect first? When and by who was she infected in the first place? Also - guppies = ewwww!

4. The sneak peak of next episode looked really interesting.
Flag
Calling the show it's so bad its good is a bit unfair IMHO. Sure some of the plot lines are a bit stupid but overall I think its a good story and the acting is great and that's what I think keeps it above water. I for one enjoy the show.
Flag
Ps. I guess you haven't watched Revolution or Under the dome. Now they're shows you can call ​​so bad it's good.
Flag
I would disagree a bit.....

Falling Skies is good compared to the shows you mention (Under the Dome is so bad it's ridiculous), but it is not good when considering where the premise could have taken it, and what it could be.

There are some good moments, and just enough personally that I watch it. But some episodes are not good, go nowhere or have silly moments or simply drama for the sake of drama. I think I actually finish watching about 60% of the episodes, the others I just change channel or do something else because I lose interest.

Compared to good / great sci-fi shows of recent times, Falling Skies does not compare.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Please let the adults discuss things without your trolling.

I was having a good discussion with crenshawdk which you've just interrupted without adding even attempting to add anything of use or interest,
Flag
Alright everybody stop having opinions at once, cuz this guy knows what he's talking about. He wrote two, count 'em two, sci-fi novels so it's obvious he's right and everyone else are wrong and have moronic opinions. Revolution IS IN FACT a good show. Good call there buddy. You had me at Really. Please PLEASE tell me where I can get a hold of your publishings cuz I feel I could become your biggest fan.
Flag
I'd rank it somewhere in the middle.
Flag
I see where you're coming from...... I guess my argument is not helped by how bad Defiance and Under the Dome are becoming, and let's not forget the oddness of Revolution.

Not sure I am going to continue with Falling Skies, but it certainly tops those three, and by some way.
Flag
Agreed. There's a lot of things that are definitely not working though I think we can all agree that there's enough to keep us coming back here to talk about it. But yeah, there's definitely better sci-fi out there
Flag
Guess I shouldn't surprised to learn that Tom Mason has been body snatched on the ship he was onboard with the fishhead between seasons 1 and 2.
Flag
That literally has nothing to do with the current season or the show at all. He was never body snatched. He spent a few weeks on that ship, if that, they never specified. The majority of the time between season 1 and 2 was him getting back to the 2nd Mass.
Flag
Just watch next week promo. And how would you explain Anne being pregnant with a hybrid?!
Flag
I suspect that may not be the real Lourdes. This is a wild guess, but I'm thinking the Overlords might have a cloning technique now. After all we don't know how long they were unconscious in last seasons finale. It could easily be explained that the real Lourdes was cloned and that the clone was planted into Charleston as a spy. We may very well find out if this is accurate next week when we get the Tom/ Karen torture hour. Or at least I assume we will be getting something along these lines.
Flag
I have a nit to pick, though not with you JetixMasterDan of the awesome moniker. Cloning? OK, it's a scientific possibility. But howcum, in scifi, clones always come out the same age as the person whose DNA was cloned? If you clone me, my mini-me will still be a baby six months from now.
Flag
I guess because people usually think of cloning as putting a person through a copier and not the actual laboratory process that would need to occur for such a phenomenon to happen.
Flag
Why mention cloning when they did a scene (Lourdes praying) specifically to show you she was controlled by the Espheni's bugs. She is most definitely not cloned.
Flag
Here's the thing though. If the Espheni have a cloning technology, then the bugs may be needed to help the clone receive the memories of the original individual. They are also needed for the physic link with the Overlords to take place. So no, I'm not convinced that's the real Lourdes.
Flag
Still, why bother cloning her and control the clone with a bug when you could control the original with a bug (which is most likely the case). I still don't get where the cloning is coming from :) 3 more episodes left, so we'll know pretty soon.
Anyway, as much as I enjoyed seasons 1 and 2, I have to say that season 3 is really falling apart. A lot of lazy writing such as Anne and Tom walking straight into Skitter ambushes for no logical reason... well, there is in both case a logical reason: the plot required them to be captured. There had to be better ways though *sigh*
Flag
Simply put, they could have known about the Espheni cure. If a clone is captured and the bug killer is used on it, the clone is probably destroyed. It allows them to keep a hostage should the need arise.
Flag
Why would a clone bother praying?
Flag
Memories. My theory, which could be completely wrong, is the Espheni worms act as a link between the real Lourdes and the clone Lourdes allowing the clone to access Lourdes memories and her personality.
Flag
"I think we've reached so-bad-it's-good territory! So excited!"
I admire your optimism. Not sure of the "it's good" part though, at least as far as the Masons' story line is concerned.

"NO ONE ACTUALLY KNOWS WHERE ANNIE AND ALEXIS ARE"
Exactly! They might just as well going on the opposite direction. The worst thing is that Falling Skies decided to pull a Revolution: to randomly go looking for someone for several episodes. When people were looking for Danny, that was when Revolution was at its worst. I also remember The Walking Dead and their endless search for Sophia. That's never good!

"Eventually, it was declared that Anne and and Alexis were in Mechanicsville... "
Mechanicsville? Is that a real name? That's gotta be an alien town, right. Right between Skitterburg and Esphenitown.

"Ditching his office was bad enough, even if it was at least marginally understandable"
That's right! Well, as pope said, Mason is smart enough to escape a sinking boat when he sees one. And the fact they might not come back to Charleston later and "keep going and fighting," what the heck is that supposed to mean? For starters, the Masons were vital in creating this alliance with the rebel skitters and the Volm. How can he turn his back to all his work all of a sudden? Argh, Tom Mason, you're the worst!

"Also: Lourdes! You BAMF-y brainwashed mole, you!"
First Karen, now Lourdes. Do the Espheni plan on taking all the sweet cute girls from us? Damned aliens!

"Here are the humans' options, according to Cochise: (...) This plan sucks."
Yeah, but of course I want to see the Volm weapon deployed. I want to see what happens.

More+
Flag
Flag
Really, was that directed to me? Are you serious?
Considering that...
1) I'm not an American, much less a typical one.
2) English is not even my first language.
3) And yes, Mechanicsville is a ridiculous name. (Sounds like something the aliens built.)

...I'd say you have to work much harder to improve your insults, because by calling a Brazilian a "typical American moron" you are only insulting yourself.

I just loved that. That was hilarious. Made my day!
Flag
Except we were informed at the end of last episode the rebels skitters had some intelligence coming there way, and in this episode surprise we were off to meet a rebel leader. So in fact they probably knew roughly where they were, the rebel skitter probably held the final piece of the puzzle.
Flag
Definitely diggin Charleston more than the Masons so we should stick more with that. There is so much going on there, Pope causin a ruckus with the townsfolk of Charleston, Lourdes is the MOLE (good job to all who called it), Marina using her power to find out what the Volm are up to (and I TOTALLY BELIEVE she is up to something shady. There is something about her I do not trust). Matt killing someone was inevitable and the entire Mason storyline was boring and could have been left out (maybe just show a shot of them riding the horses or something to let us know they are still alive and searching). Overall a good episode, not great but definitely good. Interested to see what things are revealed to us (the audience) about Lourdes now that we know she is the mole. Marina is soooo up to something and I think her new presidency power is going to go to her head. MaryAnn I don't think Tom was selfish to step down as President, how could he really run the city after all of the things his family is implicated in (Ben has the spikes, Hal is the "suspected" mole, Alexis is an alien baby, Tom spent some time hanging with aliens and Anne wacked a man in the head with a wrench because he discovered her alien baby. Stepping down and leaving town is his best choice. People were already weary of them but now I don't see how any of the people would trust anybody in that family.
More+
Flag
I hope like hell the Masons bugger off and are never heard from again, after three seasons I just want them freaking gone already, never cared for them much, but at this point they need to go.

I do not care about their family drama, I want to see the war!

I will say I'm betting on the Volm being bad guys, just too obvious.
Flag
i think there is a matrix like simulation going on here..

note the preview where tom has something stuck/then pulled off his face with red lights..
Flag
2 great thing happens in this episode.

I swear I was so convinced that Marina was the mole that I never ever thought it was Lourdes so that was good.

Assassination was awesome !

I am a fan and despite all its flaw, the show is entertaining and exciting to watch BUT I have to say this again, the plot is going back to Walking Dead territory again. The fight with the Picketts and than getting 1 of them shot and rushing to save him is sort of what happens at the farm in TWD season 2 !
Flag
Despite what I think about Falling Skies I've to say that assassination was pretty awesome.
Flag
Oh hey Lourdes is a mole..... imagine that.

I am beginning to think that this show should move back to the road. This was a decent episode despite some glaring foolishness, but I attribute it to them being on the road like Pope and Mason were after the place crash.

As for the President being saved. The alien covered him and because he is impervious to destruction he can help the President survive. Ok sure. I don't think that would actually work. Mostly because they were shot and it kind of exploded.

Now the Mason family road trip was all right. But again, NOTHING is going to happen to the Mason's so really what is the point. Granted, they might be taken over again by aliens. But they will somehow get out of it and no one will shoot them because they are the centerpiece of the story.

Killing the President doesn't matter. They have a structure and a hierarchy he is a temporary leader that serves no purpose in combat so he is basically just a figurehead. In fact Pope's storyline in showing who really had the power in the camp was a pretty good contrast and showed why The President could be killed.

Lourdes being a mole was predictable. She likely has all of the little aliens because it takes that much to make her smart and Doctor like. Though it doesn't really go along with what we know of the little bugs. They likely latch on to an essential part of the brain in order to change the persons personality. And control their actions. None as of yet dance around on people's faces. Unless they are their for storage so that she can implant others. Her being a "doctor" . She is positioned to be able to implant a lot of people. Which brings up the question as to why hasn't she done that? There were at least a dozen on her face and the ones inside her control her. So why hasn't she implanted anyone else. Especially since Hal is no longer under control. Also, why not kill Hal accidentally during the procedure that she was woefully unqualified to perform? Oh yea because he is a Mason and nothing happens to them.

What is Pope eluding to in regards to Maggie? Didn't we already go over her checkered past? Do we have to go over it again? Can't she just be a strong woman in the Apocalypse?

This show is still absurd. Tom going back made no sense. The family knew they were coming and they were on horseback I am sure they have measures to warn themselves and sneak into the woods and then comeback. They were rednecks, not morons. It seemed like an unnecessary plot in order to get him captured. Plus his new wife and daughter should really take precedence over people that try to kill you. I don't know it all just seemed a little sloppy.
More+
Flag
Staff
You should check out the Falling Skies community page if you haven't already. I think your comment is really thoughtful and you could post it as a story or a discussion item so other users can see it! http://www.tv.com/shows/falling-skies/community - Jessica, TV.com staff
Flag
The only thing written more poorly then the episode in question is this review! And that is saying something... Is the Volm goal really all that Ambiguous? I mean ambiguity usually means that some action or motivate is up to multiple interpretations-- I think it is very clear that the Volm seek to end a war with the Esphine. It is like the Americans in WWII you might actually rescue some people in the act or you might leave many of them behind the Iron Curtain for 50 or so years. The point is the Volm's real motives are simple: defeat the Esphine at all costs! Now, if this happens to have more collateral damage then expected i.e the destruction of Earth-- so be it. You know that is WAR! The same could be said for how the French helped the Colonists in the Revolutionary War. There is nothing Ambiguous about the Volm's motivations. The only issue is will the weapon work as planned and just destroy the enemy or will it have more punch.

Secondly, how is it that you (the reviewer) missed the obviously simple and over used literally tool of the "FOIL"-- Papa Picket is his families center as is Tom to the Mason Clan. Now, clearly Papa Picket has taken a more isolationist/scavenger approach to his families survival where as Mason conjures up classical images of Hektor going off to battle Achilles in the Iliad! To defend the entire nation of Troy. Where as Papa Picket can only see the world in the terms of his families immediate safety. (Even the craptastic "Troy" didn't manage to screw up this one simple element in the story...) Thus, we are supposed to see that Mason even after giving up the Presidency doesn't do it out of selfishness, but out of concern for the fledgling nation. Where as Picket is totally obsessed with only one thing the immediate safety of his family. The problem is the foil was so poorly handled that it almost became an after thought. Hence the reason we had to have the big scene where Mason goes back to Save the Pickets-- proving that his concerns are much larger then just his own's family's security.

Thirdly, from a continuity issue-- why is it that Ben can hear fly buzzing at 1000 yards, see in the dark, etc and so on -- but doesn't hear people moving in the underbrush at all?

Four, why are the Mason's using the open trails (which oddly looked road like to me) any way? It would seem if an enemy patrol were in the area the first place they would be is on the roads and using aerial recon to fill in the gaps in other places.

Five, if you're a highway men (And not Robin Hood) you might well just kill everyone first and ask questions later! Otherwise people might try to come and get you. I guess that is too gritty for FS.

Six,
I agree it is not exactly clear why Mechanics-ville is the place. However, we can assume that Rebel Skitters gave them information.

Seven, Let's camp in the open field-- great plan-- why seek cover when you just hide out in a simple obvious clump of trees!

Eight, Lourdes-- why is Lourdes the mole? Well, I'm guessing that it has to do with the Shock and Awe of it. However, my problem is this she is pointless she has no real access to sensitive military data.

Nine, if you can snatch bodies against the will of the people why even invade with a military strike in the first place? Why not send trillions and trillions little bugs to infect the people and turn them into your slaves! Oh wait that was done already. But isn't every episode of this series some lame rip off of classic sci-fiction.

Ten, Why kill Hathaway? It would make more sense to not kill him but infect him with the bugs and disable the weapon.

My biggest problem is that the episode wasted 10 minutes or 15 minutes playing around Mason and Picket being foils. It would have been better to just have Mason and family turn into the MANSON FAMILY and toast these hill folk and move on.

More+
Flag
"""
Seven, Let's camp in the open field-- great plan-- why seek cover when you just hide out in a simple obvious clump of trees! """

That could have something to do with the fact the Skitters can function far better in wooded areas and move quicker than us
humans can. Staying in the open may risk being exposed by air, but it means they can defend themselves better from the skitters and from the mechs.

""Ten, Why kill Hathaway? It would make more sense to not kill him but infect him with the bugs and disable the weapon. """

Marina hit it right on the head, to permanently split Charleston from president men and his arm forces, the president men will want answers and they are never going to trust Charleston people to get them for them.

There going to be mistrust between those two fractions for a while, if we ever make contracts with them again. An that will make them hard to cooperate with each other.

"""Nine, if you can snatch bodies against the will of the people why even invade with a military strike in the first place? Why not send trillions and trillions little bugs to infect the people and turn them into your slaves! Oh wait that was done already. But isn't every episode of this series some lame rip off of classic sci-fiction. """

They explain that last time, the bug has to be custom built for each controller and is base on their DNA. I am guessing each controller can only control one person at a time or at the most a few people at a time through the bugs. It probably why the Overlord trusted Red eyes with control of his own bug, if he did anything they didn't have approve of, it could be tracked back to Red eyes.

"""Four, why are the Mason's using the open trails (which oddly looked road like to me) any way? It would seem if an enemy patrol were in the area the first place they would be is on the roads and using aerial recon to fill in the gaps in other places. """

To move faster, going through the woods would be hard going, and tiring for the horses. Plus Mason must fear that either his wife and daughter is being tortured or they may take them up to Overlord orbital vessels, where they most likely would be unreachable. Plus they clearly had a schedual to meet one of the rebel skitters.

Even now they probably aren't expert navigators and it easier for them to navigate relying on road signs than riding through the woods.
More +
Flag
Well, actually being in the open doesn't mean you can survive against the Mechs or the skitters better. That is just absurd.

Marina is wrong... First off the President's people already believe he is dead. Secondly, they never established contact with the President's people. So they never have to tell them the truth about Hathaway's death. In fact they can tell them just about anything they want too. Also Charleston clearly has superior weapons i.e the Volm enhanced stuff. So mistrust or not the President's people are not even a concern.

The bug might be customized to a specific Espheni-- but that doesn't mean that one Espheni cannot control multiple persons.

Going through the woods is harder-- but roads would be the first things the Skitter patrols... So that means woods would be safer... Haven't you ever read the Army Field Manual on Unconventional Warfare?

Either get good with a Map and Compass you get dead! That simple.

Flag
Staff
Wow, I'm impressed! You really know this show! Have you checked out the Falling Skies community page yet? You could be writing your own stories & I bet the users there would love to hear your thoughts. http://www.tv.com/shows/falling-skies/community -Jessica, TV.com staff
Flag
I think the show is pretty poor actually. But it is also very funny because each week they basically add more things to the show that never really work out. For example this foiling of Picket and Mason families patriarchs was supposed to show how Tom sees beyond his own family and tries to unite people for the big fight against the aliens.

In reality what would have happened is that Tom and Family would been the ones shooting Pickets... It is just that simple in the universe of FS-- you either kill or be killed. There is no "oh, what about your humanity..." there is simply "you try and take my stuff or impede my mission you end up dead".

The show is too much Saturday Morning Cartoon and not enough Full Metal Jacket.

Flag
Wondered the same thing about why Lourdes is the mole, did the writers just pick her out of a hat of cast members or roll a die? When did she know about missions the Esphani could ambush or the get fed mission intel for the bluff on the reactor attack? How did she even get infected, did I miss an episode where she wandered to the outskirts of Charleston to pick berries?
Flag
I think shock and awe myself. The best option would be to use Loudres to infect other people higher in the Command system since she is the doctor. That would be doable. So she could infect Mason, Col. Weaver, etc and so on down the line.

But any other option like hidden assassin is just plain stupid. Not to mention spies don't live long once people know one is amongst them. They wouldn't want to blow her cover with pointless assassinations. Instead she would infect other critical members of the command structure and use them to derail opposition plans.

Oh, wait that is way too complex for this show.
Flag
Huh, I figured that when the president came back in complete support of the Volm, he had been replaced by a shapeshifter or something, but I guess not.. Oh well.
Flag
This episode was hilarious. First some hillbilly is trying to kill Hal and lil Matty shoots him. I cracked up when uncle hillbilly said "what did you do that for"? I felt the same way, Matt should have let uncle hillbilly kill Hal. Then... the Masons and the hillbillies swapped guns how many times? Like 4 times, I think.
Flag
Those where the two things I found the most annoying too.

It would have been better if someone had shot Heyerdahl when he reached for a gun that last time.

Flag
Were, not where. An edit button would have been useful here.
Flag
EDIT BUTTON ... haven't I heard that mentioned before? Feed the people what they want!
Flag
I forgot the story was them looking for the wife and kid a few minutes in. And didn't care with much else. If they surrendered every time one of them had a gun pointed on them that'd be it. And my God, the gun tag got lame quick.
The revealed mole had me wishing for her to release her facial aquarium and truly hot things up. Which begs the obvious question, why don't the bad aliens simply infect all humans with the bugs?
Ah, for wishful thinking.

Flag
This Cochise dude is the most unintentionally funny concept ever. How did they come up with the name Cochise? What was Jughead too obvious or something? How many voted for Rerun? And what's with that costume? I can't take him seriously in that ridiculous getup. Why can't they just have aliens that look like humans kind of like the demons and warlocks in Charmed San Francisco? I mean wouldn't that be cheaper? It would certainly make more sense.
I'm with you on the tadpoles swimming on the face thing. Is that really necessary? I think we got that the Doc is point shaving when she blasted the prez with the GI Joe gun.
Flag
Why would it make more sense if the Volm looked human?

Are you too young to have followed a Star Trek show? It got pretty annoying that all the aliens they met looked like humans with something funny on their noses, ears or foreheads. It's refreshing that they don't look human.
Flag
Decent makeup is costly and time-consuming -- Star Trek couldn't even afford a motor to move the "automatic" doors and had to use dust mops for Tribbles.
Flag
I spent all of the episode trying to spot Doug Jones out of costume (was he the brother Pickett?)

I sort of rolled my eyes at the Lourdes thing, literally my thought was, so we are going to have to get to know this Marina person better then? There has been something about Lourdes for awhile though, hasn't there? I remember something last season I think.

The most interesting thing I found was that the elder Masons all clearly shared the Picketts' issue with what Matt did but were really trying not to show any family distrust in front of hostile strangers. Though I swear the thought crossed Hal's face, did I never teach the kid to just shoot up in the air?

Flag
I knew it! *woot!*
Alright Lourdes, who's next on the hit list? lol

"Admittedly, the actual assassination was kind of awesome. I was expecting arsenic in the IV lines or something. I guess that would have too quickly implicated her, though—and can we please not with the guppies swimming around in her face? I mean, gag." <<< All of this.

"Marina is still totally a baddie though, right? Or am I just sounding desperate now?" <<< I don't get "baddie" vibes from Marina.......not yet.

"– Christopher Heyerdahl played Mr. Pickett. Hi, Alastair! <3<3<3" <<< Aww. My SPN feels. I miss the good old days :)

That plan totally sucks. How did Tom think this was a good idea? *smh*
Flag
Tough call on Marina. I doubt she's yet another alien agent or mole, but what is IS remains a bit fuzzy

- Is she Bad (with a capital B)
- Is she a power-hungry despot?
- Is she just doing what SHE thinks is right given the situation?
- Is she just misunderstood because she disagreed with Mason?

Unfortunately, from what we've seen it could be any one or combination of the above... or something else entirely.
Flag
I get the Battlestar Gallactica vibe, like Adama vs Roslin. Two stubborn "alphas" -- military sensibility vs civilian sensibility. Both frustrated with the other and trying to do the right thing, as they see it at this particular moment.
Flag
I don't buy the Lourdes thing. They're going to need some parasite the likes of which controlled Hal (unconvincingly, I might add) to explain it off conveniently. In any case, the president being killed off is just convenient for story given there is another... errr... president in Charleston. Now she has full control to suspect the Volm and no-one to hinder said suspicion.

There were heaps of problems with this episode, though on the whole it was not bad -- beat the last few at any rate. First, do the Picketts always just leave the truck in the middle of the road after ambushing people? I realize it's got a rope attached to it which I'm assuming was tied to a tree, but still. Next, Tom sure fell into that trap at the end pretty easily, though of course we know it's all for the story-line. Next, Pope is using vocab and cultural references which don't strike me as natural to his character. I'm not saying because he's a bad-ass who hangs out with bikers and other bad-asses who look like they should be drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon that he can't have a decent vocab, but using things like 'ersatz (president)' and... I forget the other one he used in this episode... shatter the fourth wall around him and remind me that he's just an actor, and the scripting is heavy-handed at times. Again, it's not because of who he is -- if Tom or anyone else for that matter looked forward and said, "This is our Gotterdamerung!" or some such reference I wouldn't buy it as daily conversation either.

As to the questions posed by Mary-Ann (may I call you that?), how the Volm weapon is used depends entirely on how many more seasons the show gets contracted for. Heck, being contracted for a fifth season would even probably delay it being used (there will be sabotage episodes, etc.). I don't think the show can afford too many more 180s in terms of whom to trust and whom not to, so I hope the Volm don't turn out to be the bad guys, despite the fact that like Mary-Ann I like that the show continues to be ambiguous about their intensions. I think Tom and Co. will return to Charleston, in one form or another (Tom will undoubtedly be implanted with someone or cloned or something while in alien headquarters), but I suspect that Charleston might be overrun (bye-bye Volm weapon!) and we'll be back to the nitty-gritty day-to-day survival on the road at the end, where the season will end.
More+
Flag
Staff
Your comment is really insightful and detailed. Have you participated in the new Falling Skies community yet? You should consider posting your own stories or discussion items there. I bet users would love to hear your thoughts on the show. http://www.tv.com/shows/falling-skies/community - Jessica, TV.com staff
Flag
Will check it out later in the week, thank you.
Flag
I agree, it will PROBABLY turn out to be parasite mind control.

But, if she's the character I'm thinking of... in Season 1 she was insanely religious. Almost to a zealous degree. I didn't MIND that (though others did), since in real life you have people a bit to "vocal" about their faith but whatever and at least she wasn't being violent and was just praying + saying grace. That is, until NOW.

So... perhaps she thinks she's doing god's work or something. Or the parasites convinced her the aliens are doing god's work and she should help. Or whatever. Not so much remote-control-dark-personality as "I'm doing his will"
Flag
As with gzeigler3, I also forgot she was pretty religious in season two. Hmmm... Still makes the eye-worms or other parasites a contrivance. It just seems to me the aliens could easily take Charleston and/or the human race if they really wanted to. The eye-worms work, so why not send out a whole lot more of them and get the job done? This could easily be explained, for example, when they extract a parasite from someone without being too obvious:

Tom: Another one? How many do you think we have with us?

Skitter (through boy): It is difficult to say, but the (not sure how to spell their race name, so I'll just say aliens) aliens don't usually have just one person under their control, and only infiltrate if they cannot yet destroy.

Tom: So why don't they just use these on everyone?

Skitter: There must be something they need to obtain from the current human population that taking over would not get them, and therefore is a threat. Also, the materials to make the worms are not obtainable on this planet, and so the supply is limited and the subjects must be chosen wisely.
Flag
I forgot that she was religious. I think that explains why she had so many eye worms. She's probably strong willed and needs more than one eye worm to keep her under control. That's probably why they weren't inside of her while she was praying as well.
Flag
Flag
Flag
Yaaaaaaaay! I called it! I knew it was you, Lourdes! I knew it you sneaky little doc you!!!
Flag
Good call. I found her role as the mole unconvincing, but oh well.
Flag
God, no more migrant militia.
Flag
As to the plan... I still have my doubts about the Volm

but IF they're telling the truth then the plan is as good as it gets. If the grid runs for 3 months then its game over for humanity. When it comes to ALL humanity then normal logic and strategy don't cut it. They tried to make that point in the galactica remake.

So certain total death in 3 months or try to stop it and risk quicker death
Flag
OH MY FREAKING GOSH!!! I should have bet money because Lourdes is the mole! And has she been collecting eye worms or what?! Why were the dancing on her face while she was praying? WTH!!!
And yes, MaryAnn, the thing with Marina is making you sound a bit desperate. You spent most of the review on Tom's so-called selfishness and your boredom with the Mason storyline and missed the other happenings in the episode. Yes, that's one way to see things, but it's not the only way. There are other characters and storylines to discuss.
Also, the lead rebel skitter told Tom that Anne and Alexis were in Mechanicsville after they returned from searching for them in the last episode.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members