Falling Skies

Compass

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Jun 24, 2012 on TNT

• You don't get pneumonia from being cold!

I had stopped watching this show and decided to give it another try. Picked up again with the episode Compass. Talk about poor writing. First 5 minutes the supposed doctor is telling us she is worried about pneumonia. Old wives tale that being cold causes pneumonia. What idiocy. Totally threw me right out of the story.
  • So happy

The character who died this episode was annoying and awful.
  • Compass

Compass was a superb episode of Falling Skies and though it was a little slow and not overly exciting, there were many defining moments for a lot of characters. I really enjoyed watching as Ben was hunting Skitters, Jimmy gets hurt in the process, and Tom faces some of the others who don't believe he can be trusted. There was a lot of drama and intrigue, some action, and a new character with an interesting story about survivors and a newly formed government coming together in Charleston S. C. It was sad to see Jimmy not make it. I certainly look forward to watching how things develop in the next episode!!!!!!!
  • Hardcore character development, action and mind packed, addictive format and exciting villain (Spoilers)

Wow ! This was the pivotal episode I had waited for. As a huge fan of science-fiction and everything bizarre I really miss shows like Lost and Smallville. The two-parts premiere was entertaining but not good enough to turn a viewer into a fan. Until now Falling Skies was playing in the lower league.

Last time I hadn't realized that showing Ben teaching a kid how to shot was actually a way to criticize weapons. He's a mutant after all ! So developing this arc and killing Jimmy in the process was quite thrilling. Until it happened I never believed for a second that they would dare get rid of him. My only complain is that they didn't blame Ben for his death when they should be a little suspicious about his whereabouts. Still Tom's fight with John Pope was brutal and proved that he's not the man he used to be. However I didn't interpret his violent behavior as a sign of mutation considering he had just lost one of his sons. Otherwise their realistic side, because they acted like desperate survivors, wasn't matched by a decent attention to details again. I mean how come they didn't check the woman's back ? They spend too much time talking for their own good, making the story over dramatic when it should focus about resisting. That's why Tom's clash with the Captain about fighting versus hiding was welcomed. I also enjoyed that the format didn't feel episodic at all. The writers have a plan and seven episodes to execute it.

Last but not least our friend Skitter was back and apparently he's able to read Ben's mind. It makes one hell of a villain, both cunning and strong ! Does he even know what's going on ? Are their encounters comparable to hypnosis sessions ? To sum things up Compass was captivating from beginning to end and only the annoying TNT watermarks and few questionable behaviors tainted the picture. Moreover now the 2nd Mass has a well defined goal I can't wait to follow their journey because as Ned Stark would say, winter is coming !

Note : This review was first posted on Kritikenstein, my weblog.
  • Jimmy died :(

The 2nd Mass moves into an airport hangar but the situation gives Anne reason to worry about the health of the group. Meanwhile Pope and The Berserkers hatch a plan to deal with Tom.The group suffers a great loss but receives a promise of hope from a mysterious visitor. This was a disappointing episode of "Falling Skies" as it was nowhere near as good as the first two Season 2 episodes that aired. This is Season 1 all over again where they really slowed things down and that's one of the flaws that the show needs to improve on doing. This isn't a bad episode but it most certainly was a very slow and boring episode that dragged on with not too many things going on to get you excited or blown away. There's only a couple of brief action scenes somewhere in the first 20 minutes of the episode and that's it so there really was pretty much no action besides those 2 brief action scenes towards the beginning. This episode was so dang slow though and I just got bored and it wasn't the episode I was hoping after the two episodes last Sunday night really entertained me. There were a few scenes there were memorable while the rest will be forgettable after I'm done reviewing this episode. The fight between Tom and Pope was pretty awesome and kinda funny to watch and that was one of the memorable moments of the episode but Tom did have every right to punch down Pope because Pope didn't care about Jimmy's death and wanted to keep his compass but Tom wanted to have Jimmy's compass as a symbolism of him which Pope was being inconsiderate and selfish about. That blond woman (forgot her name) flying that plane was an enjoyable character. The thing that did bug me about this episode was the fact that a young boy like Jimmy had to be killed off the show already. I enjoyed Jimmy all of Season 1 and in the first few episodes of Season 2 but unfortunately this episode is the last where we see this character and like they said in that memorial scene near the end of the episode "It was too soon for him to die". The last 10 minutes of the episode does almost wanna make you cry and the memorial/funeral scene for Jimmy was sad as well as Ben putting his head on Captain Weaver and crying about Jimmy's death because he feels guilty about it since him and Jimmy were out in the forest and that alien scratched Jimmy which made a lot of blood come out of him. It just sad to see Jimmy not make it and how Dr. Glass just tried everything she can to save him but she couldn't. Rest In Peace to the heroic and good-hearted young boy named Jimmy and he won't be forgotten. The last 20 minutes of the episode is probably more enjoyable to watch. I hope the next episode won't be really slowed down like this episode and actually will have something interesting and captivating to keep you entertained. Overall, an okay but very slow/boring and overall disappointing episode of "Falling Skies" with a sad ending... R.I.P. Jimmy. 6.5/10