Falling Skies

Eight Hours

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Aug 07, 2011 on TNT

7.1
  • The Finale of Season One.

The first half of the episode is spent saying final goodbyes and somewhat resolving the drama plotlines. Anne and Tom share a kiss and Anne effectively becomes mother for Tom's kids - like we didn't see that one coming from the first episode. And annoying kids act like annoying kids. The climatic battle happens conveniently off-screen (apparently they run out of money to film it), and instead of a huge battle sequence, we get one short firefight against a Mech. And just when things start to look bad for the humans, a flagpole acting as an antenna saves the day. The season ends with Tom making ridiculously lucky shot at one alien ship with an RPG, and of course a cliffhanger.

So that's the first season of Falling Skies. Was it worth watching? Not really. The drama side simply never worked. We didn't care about the characters, because we either didn't spend enough time with them, or they were acting like idiots, or they were too arch-types. And of course the dialogue, acting and writing was very much sub-par for most of the episodes. The aliens were pretty interesting, but they were never really properly explored, and for the latter part of the season, never felt threatening.

Unless they hire some good writers for next season, I see no reason to watch this series any further.