Falling Skies Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on TNTBetween Seasons

Does anyone else find Weaver to be nearly insufferable?

MatthewRaiche

[1]Jul 11, 2012
    • level: 5

Am I the only one who finds Will Patton's portrayal of "Weaver" to be grating? I can barely stand to watch any scene that he's in. The only reason I don't fast forward through scenes with him in them is because they tend to be important to the plot.

His voice irritates the hell out of me. He always speaks in the same, overly-intense monotone. His "s" sounds like a whistley mixture of "s" and "sh." He is lazy and inconsistentabout pronouncing "r" and "th." (Sometimes he says "r," sometimes he doesn't, sometimes his "th" sounds like a "d."). His facial expression has probably changed three times throughout the entire series. His eyebrows never move. He's permanently squinting.I think he's only shown actual emotion in three episodes so far. And that stupid ballcap he always wears looks lame and out of place.

"Weaver" is just too non-believable. I know they're going for a "tough, stoic soldier" image, but they take it way too far to the point of him being more like a characature, rather than a character. I would hate to stop watching an otherwise entertaining show just because one main character is too annoying for me to stand.

I can't possibly be the only one who feels this way.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Yaspaa

[2]Jul 13, 2012
    • level: 78
    All of the above just makes him interesting.

MatthewRaiche

[4]Jul 13, 2012

I respectfully disagree, but it takes all types. One man's trash is another man's treasure. I think they should have gotten the guy from Terra Nova and Avatar to play his role. He would have been much better.

Edited on 07/13/2012 4:41am

Yaspaa

[5]Jul 13, 2012
    Tommy Lee Jones has very few expessions and it doesn't stop him from being a great actor. Not that this matters, Patton has pulled the same amount of facial expressions as the other actors, it's an invasion, so solemn is going to be the expression of the day. Workaholics you find more realistic?

MatthewRaiche

[6]Jul 13, 2012
    You know, I don't have to justify my opinion, especially not to you.

My main problem with Will Patton is his voice. It annoys the hell out of me. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard. I could forgive his annoying facial expression if his voice weren't so grating.

And what does Workaholics have to do with anything?

Yaspaa

[8]Jul 14, 2012
    Patton is a respected actor and far less annoying than the Workaholic dudes. But to use your slightly passive aggressive phrase 'one man's treasure is another man's trash', there are a few shows I can't watch due to one person ruining it for me... so I don't watch.

MatthewRaiche

[9]Jul 14, 2012
    "Workaholics" is a satire. It's not meant to be taken seriously, so the characters are outlandish and overdone. It's the genre. If you don't like it, that's fine. It's up to you.

"Falling Skies" is supposed to be taken seriously. The problem I have with Patton's portrayal of Weaver is that I can't take him seriously, so he takes away from the show. By the way, if Patton is such a respected actor, why hadn't I heard of him before "Falling Skies"?

I stopped watching "Sh#t My Dad Says" because I couldn't stand the main character. Right now, I can stand to watch "Falling Skies" because Weaver isn't in every scene. I mainly watch "Falling Skies" because most good shows are in summer hibernation at the moment, so there isn't much else on.

Also, "one man's trash is another man's treasure" is hardly passive aggressive. It's an accurate metaphor.

Yaspaa

[10]Jul 14, 2012
    If Falling Skies is supposed to be taken seriously, should it not have realistic relationships? People who we know and care about, which only make action scenes more dramatic due to us caring about the characters. I don't want constant action, it's pointless without meaning.
    He was in several big movies.

mattgus

[11]Jul 14, 2012
    • level: 14
    i know what you are talking about,i have been thinking some of what you mentioned also...mostly thou it is his character. he is set up to be very one dimesionable and that should irritate as as an audience that should be thinking out of the box...last weeks ep is a perfect example. writing grnius brings us to a big rveal regarding the whole skitter deal and story in geneal..instead of thinking...,he ends up helping to instigate the killing of a kid...one that knows better than he,ot at least that is what they want us to believe right now..i think that will be the story. the skitters are our allies and he is going to be a day late $ short right up until it is almost too late. his character is ripe for it...and he is very irritating...he does have too much power. there would or could have been many mutiny stories if they wanted that.. im glad they(writers dont)but he would instigate alot of conflict...good for drama ofcourse...

MatthewRaiche

[12]Jul 15, 2012
    Yaspaa, dude, is Will Patton your uncle or cousin or something? I've never seen someone so vehemently defend a third-rate actor in a science fiction series before.

lexlou74

[13]Jul 15, 2012
    • level: 3
    if he is such a third rate actor as you say he is then, how is it that he has mange to stay in the business for over 20 years abd been apart some great movies/tv shows, been awards for his acting and narrator over 30 audio book at have sold millions of copies around the world, it look like the only person that dislike him is you

Yaspaa

[14]Jul 16, 2012
    Dude I've never seen someone attack an actor due to a speech impediment. I hate him because he can't pronounce the letter S correctly, that's just genius.

MatthewRaiche

[15]Jul 16, 2012
    Yes, his pronunciation of the letter "s" is freaking annoying. I wouldn't criticize it if his ability to speak weren't an extremely important part of his job. You don't have any real standing behind your arguments. You can't convince someone that he or she should like something or someone simply because you do. Now you're just being contrary and it's getting annoying.

Yaspaa

[16]Jul 17, 2012
    And your standing is that you don't like his pronunciations, that's a solid foundation. I'm being contrary? How did you figure that obvious fact out. I bet you were devastated when Patton pulled through in the latest episode lol.
    Edited on 07/17/2012 1:24pm

cale1234567

[17]Aug 1, 2012
    • level: 7
    he was a hell of a lot worse in the first season
    kinda like the lesser of two enemies not as bad as the skitters
    but still a royal pain rewatched the first season recently hes a teddy bear compared to what he was back then
    the height of his douchery apart from the pilot was in mutiney
    he softened a bit since then but is still a hard ass