Falling Skies

Prisoner of War

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Jun 26, 2011 on TNT

7.1
  • Okay episode but it's a little better than "The Armory"

This was an okay episode of "Falling Skies" but this show still hasn't proved to me that it's the most awesome sci-fi show on television yet. This episode is a little better than "The Armory" (Part 2 of the 2-hour series premiere) but not as good as "Live and Learn" (Part 1 of the 2-hour series premiere). I hope the rest of the season in this show is gonna be slow. Come on writers, you should know that you making the episode really slow so far. You made the promos for this show look action-packed but there hasn't been any action-packed episodes so far. The one that had the most action was probably "Live and Learn", it was still slow but at least it way more action than "The Armory" and a little more action this episode "Prisoner of War". We get some like two or three good action scenes in this episode but even those didn't last that long. This episode was still slow and all they do is just talk. I want to see them have a war against the aliens and save those children. The next episode better be action-packed and the same goes to the rest of the episodes in this season. Overall, it was an okay episode but make the episodes action-packed writers... you're making most of the sci-fi fans disappointed right now. 6.5/10
  • Good and bad, surprise and dumb asses

5.5
    What I'm going to say about EP03 is it is Steven Spielberg TV series who is still stuck in the WWII. How many times do you need to mention Nazi? so the father of Rick rushed out to save his son and put whole team in the risk and got two more men in prison and life risk and he walked out as free? No consequence because he brought a nice twist? That scene just makes me want to throw up a little bit. Right. He got an alien by himself. I assume that Alien wants to catch him alive. Otherwise, I don't see any weapons from this creature. I even assume it's naked since it doesn't carry out any weapons, communication tools or GPS like device. Oh, yeah. Let's welcome a hero bringing a live Alien home. Wait a second, have you searched it for weapon, GPS device and bring it back to base directly? so you think it's WWII and you know what Nazi use to communicate? Walkie talkie? This show just makes me laugh.
  • Prisoner of War

Prisoner of War was a superb and entertaining episode of Falling Skies. I really enjoyed watching this episode because it touched upon basic human emotions and makes viewers think about what they would do in similar circumstances. It is hard to imagine what we would actually do under pressure and threat. There was character and plot development. I like how this series focuses on the survival side though I'd really like to learn more about the aliens and their agenda. It is very interesting that they only enslave children with their harnesses and have military robots. It was nice to learn more in this episode and I look forward to watching the next episode as well to learn more!!!!!
  • The beginning of OPERATION: RESCUE BEN

This was another good episode not quite of the caliber of the first two but by no means bad.

The episode highlighted the fact that family is important even after a total devastating attack by aliens nothing can be more important than family -- Either saving them fighting with them or avenging them if you've lost them.

The episode also highlighted the trouble family can get you into, The team was almost killed when Rick's dad decided to abandon the plan and snatch his son which leads to my only real complaint about this episode for a highly advanced alien species you think they'd have better security and wouldn't let people just walk off with their slave labor.

The Special Effects were again on a very high level and the writing and acting were all excellent even Connor Jessup as a slightly creepy zombie like teenager.
  • So, after the premiere it's time for the third episode. Most shows struggle with this episode, and Falling skies is no exception...

I started watching Prisoner of War, and unfortunately kept checking how long the episode had run. Because nothing really happened in the first act, apart from the nice teaser. Overall the plot was rather predictable and frankly boring. The cliffhanger at the end was pretty obvious as well. The moment Mason dragged the skitter into the HQ, you knew it was a bad idea. The skitter moving along the ceiling was awesome though.

The problem at the moment seems to be that the drama just isn't working, and there's too much of, while the action-y parts do work, there's too little of them. I think Game of Thrones has spoiled me forever concerning kid actors, but I can't help but point out how horrible some of the kids in this show are. Heck, even the established actors seem to be struggling with their performance; that scene with Tom and Hal Mason in the alley was just cringe-worthy. I think Noah Wyle's characters seems way too whiny for someone who takes out a skitter single handedly. Moon Bloodgood seems like the only one to understand her character, but they gave her nothing to do in this episode. Colin Cunningham did a pretty good job as well, but Pope turning out to be a chef felt a bit unnecessary (although it gave us some laughs).

This episode also really felt like that horrible 90s film Independence Day. Pretty much every shot had a US flag in the background. I hope they tune down the patriotism a bit. And man do I hate the music. That horrible, slightly uplift military anthem. Much more subtle score would work so much better.

As the first season is just 10 episodes, I think I'm going to stick with this series for now - it's good enough.
  • Prisoner of War...

Continuing on immediately after the end of "The Armory", "Prisoner of War" took us to the hospital where Maggie had previously seen some of the harnessed children being taken to. When scouting the area for Ben, as well as the amount of resistance that they will face in the extraction, Tom's unit is discovered when a loose piece of rock is accidently knocked off of the adjacent building to the hospital - their vantage point. Retreating to the second Mass.'s base - a local high school - the team is met with some news. Colonel Porter had returned to the second Mass. ahead of schedule because of a potential breakthrough in removing the harnesses by one of his science team - Dr. Michael Harris. When we meet Harris, it is revealed that he was once in a group of survivors with Tom and his entire family - including wife Rebecca - and was with her when she died. Dr. Harris - having posited how the harnesses manage to kill the host when removed - has discovered a clever work around to their structure, his only problem is that he has no one to test the theory on. Despite wanting to save all of the harnessed captives, Tom's team is ordered to bring back only Ben when they return to the hospital. It wouldn't be a resistance mission if someone didn't make an emotionally charged mistake that ended up costing everyone, and this one was no exception. Mike - a resistance member who also has a missing son - sees his boy amongst the children at the hospital, completely blowing the plan by running out after him screaming. Whilst Mike manages to save his son with cover provided by Tom, Hal and Karen, the botched escape leaves Tom unconscious and Hal and Karen at the mercy of a Mech, resulting in them being taken prisoner. When Tom comes to underground with Dai and Mike, he immediately mounts up to go back and get his sons. Taking what little weaponry that they still have, he comes face-to-face with a Skitter in the dark tunnels, but vanquishes it using the method that gang leader Pope taught him when Tom was his captive. Having disabled but not killed the Skitter, Tom drags it back to the school to deliver as a gift to Weaver; second Mass.'s first prisoner of war. With night having fallen we see that Hal and Karen are still alive but that the aliens have a plan for the two of them. Whilst Karen is taken away, Hal is forced to watch the execution of several harnessed humans and allowed to leave, the purpose being to deliver a message to the second Mass. to stay away.

As Tom finds Hal in the streets we see Dr. Harris' plan put into action on Mike's son back at the school. As the group waits to see if the procedure has been a success, Pope - second Mass.'s human prisoner - is put to the test as a chef for the resistance. With the ability to cook more than just oatmeal, Pope is allowed time out of his cell, but is still under strict guard but the fighters. As the night progresses, the procedure appears to have worked as planned, as Mike's son is still alive after several hours - something that was not true of any other harness removal patient. As the episode closes however, we see the captive Skitter seemingly take control of his body through some kind of psychic connection, obviously posing a threat to the second Mass..

"Prisoner of War" was a solid continuation of the story line that has been laid out so far. Each episode has had a critical mission for the second Mass. that provides the action, whilst character moments fill in the gaps; this episode being no exception. The small bit of backstory between Mason and Harris finally saw a slightly more emotional Tom than we've seen thus far which was an excellent addition, and there was even scattered humor throughout to balance out the tone of the episode well.