Falling Skies

TNT (ended 2015)

lordbowler

Falling Skies Fan Reviews page 3 of 5

• Kind of Cheesy

Watched every episode finally, and I would say the show is barely keeping my interest at this point. Although it started out promising, there are some issues that are hard to dismiss. The biggest thing for me is the story itself. I can't buy that aliens from other worlds come here and are so inept. Mechs have lights on them to seek out their prey in the darkness? Wtf? Wouldn't they have technology to see in the dark? How can they miss with lazer guided armaments over and over? They don't have the technology to hear a hiding human whispering fifty feet away? Our modern military has technology now that makes the aliens look like wimps. Also, the drama elements are just so cheesy. Anne just bores me to tears. The talking hybrid baby is laughable (watch, it will probably prove to be some sort of super-hero for the resistance.. a plot done to death over and over in other sci-fi adventures). Pope, the anti-hero, is so one-dimensional and contrived. We've seen these chars done to death over and over now. Matt is extremely annoying. If they stayed away from the PG-family moments and induced more action and extremity into the story, it might be more interesting, but it's way too Disney now. Giving it a 5, because the current plots and storylines have sent anything interesting about this show circling down the toilet.
  • "The Sky Is Falling"

Last night's episode of "Falling Skies" fell flat with me. Too much personal drama among the characters. Tom getting out of character and pulling a knife on Pope. Way too many long stretches of advertisments and many very short frequently interuppted segments. I have not checked the blogs yet to see what others are saying, but that's my evaluation.
  • Irritating

I do not like the direction the plot is heading. A part "alien" baby with no plausible reason for this to be the case. Moon has to out on maternity leave? Better story-line would have been to have her and the baby on the brink of death or something. But, making the kid part alien after having already done that story-line with the middle son is redundant. The talking baby is kind of comical and reminds me of the e-trade commercials. Gees. Un-explained gaps in the story-line do not help either. I'm not familiar with the writers; perhaps they need to kick-around other ideas before they screw up a good show, example: The last season of LOST.
  • wtffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

it's gone to hell wtf
  • great show

I hope show will great ;)
  • As good as network television can get.

One of the very few programs worth watching. It could use more deaths of some of the main characters.
  • Falling Skies is Falling Behind

Falling Skies is alright, but i have a few problems with it. First of all the pace of the episodes Are Slow..... and they usually drag about trying to kill the skitters. Although The Walking Dead is a zombie show (It has a similar format) , it has a fast pace and you can relate and feel for the characters which brings me to the other reason.

The characters are not that great, really. I hate the fact that they all follow Weaver and Tom, which they should be all having there say and working together. The show does not really have characters who you can really like, as all the characters personalities have not been well established.
  • Why world why?

Why would anyone want to watch a show, when the way they advertise it is annoying as fuck. Cover! Cover! Cover! Cover! Cover! Cover! Cover! Cover! covercovercovercovercovercover!!!!!!.
  • The Walking Dead with aliens

Ok so after avoiding it for 2 years I finally watched it because I ran out of alternativs. Ive definitely seen better sci-fi shows but also a lot whorse. Yes it felt like watchin The Walking Dead but with aliens and less tension. But I wasnt bored to death so thats a start. Its a very predictable plot with some ... lets say "hmm ok what the fuck really?" moments in it. But it was ok and so I will watch the next season with even more brand new aliens falling from the sky ;) But one last question ... why is it so hard to make a proper sci-fi show that doesnt feel like watching the same old story over and over again? So please could some writer (with an actual clue how a proper sci-fi show has to look like) do something about it
  • Just awful

I can't believe this show is getting another season. I recently watch the last few episodes on my DVR and it was a torture. The hardest part was keeping my eyes open. With all the family hugs, many episodes had no time for actual aliens. The whole premise is unbelievable - the aliens killed off 99.9% of the world's population in the first 10 minutes but they can't deal with this ragtag poorly armed group of survivors? Puh-leez!
  • Too soon?

I just recently finished season one of Falling Skies, so I may have jumped the gun by deciding to review it before beginning season 2. Let me just say that I enjoyed the first season. I really did. After I finished the finale, I was already scanning the Internet for any sign of the season 2 box set. However, reflecting on the experience as a whole, I realized just how let down I was. I like the idea. I like the plot. My problem is with the characters... With in the first few episodes I was sure I'd love these guys but as the series went on, I felt they were really pushed to the back burner and the only thing coming out of everyone's mouthes had to do with skidders and mechs. I mean, I understand there's a lot going on but I could have used a break from the aliens for a few moments of human bonding. In the beginning, I couldn't wait to see Tom and Anne get together. I loved the moments they shared sarcastic remarks back and forth. However, by the end of the season I felt like they barely spoke. It'd be weird for them to start a relationship. Don't even get me started on Lourdes... But since I brought it up, I just can't help myself. She was probably my favorite right off the bat. I loved that she was still so strong in her faith after such a thing as an alien invasion. I'm sure that annoyed people, but I think her character had great potential. One of my favorite teasers in the beginning was the premise that Lourdes was pursuing Hal who was obviously with Karen. After Karen was taken I thought I had it all figured out. Lourdes would console a grieving Hal, who would eventually fall for Lourdes and then Karen would turn up leading to a lot of awkward moments. But no. Nothing. Lourdes, who always noticed when Hal was hungry, or tired, didn't even bother checking on him. Really? Am I supposed to believe that? I really wanted these characters and their internal struggles to be in the foreground. I wanted to see more of Tom's concern for his boys. I wanted to see more of Anne suffering in silence over the loss of her family. I wanted to see way more of jimmy and his struggles as a 13 year old soldier. Is it too much to ask for that maybe Maggie have some moral dilemmas? Can she maybe struggle a little with doing the right thing please? Anyways I guess I'm just ranting and raving now. But all in all I just hope the the characters are a little more fleshed out in season 2. If that happens then I will be content.
  • Battleground Galactica

2.5
    You need to bring something of your own to the table if you want to keep me watching your Sci-Fi show and I am sorry to say that this show that I was excited to hear about when I first heard about it does not. All it does is take the aliens from District 9 and stick them in a dull retread of ground that was already covered in Battlestar Galactica. Unless the idea of seeing BGS with a worse cast,duller stories,characters that don't have nearly as much depth,and with people walking around instead of flying in spaceships appeals to you,avoid this show. It's just a really dull rip off of BSG with nothing of it's own to bring to the table. If you have heard of this show and thought you would like it do yourself a favor and just watch BSG instead. I am not a huge fan of BSG but it is Shakespeare compared to this show. Sorry I wanted to like it but it was so dull and the characters held so little interest that I kept falling asleep while watching it,and I may be the world's biggest Sci-Fi fan.
  • Season 2 was great!

1st season kinda let me down. I'm a huge si-fi fan, but on the premiere season it seems the money was spent on marketing instead of producing the show. Second season changed it completely. I can only hope for a good 3rd season, but I do not believe this show will last longer than 3 or 4 seasons, due to the very bad start. Such a shame.
  • LOVIN IT!!!!

I didnt think Si FI was my thing but this I like
  • camerawork please

3.5
    What's with the all shook up shakey iphone like camera work for ALL the scenes in Falling Skies. That type of lousy videography is WAY overdone. I thought you used GOOD cameras for TV work. I doubt I will continue watching something videoed with an iphone. I hate bad camerawork. It isn't very realistic, no matter how hard you try, and distracts a LOT from the story line. That's why I quit watching Stargate Universe at the 2nd episode. Better camerawork needed.
  • Waste of time

Bad acting, bad story....gave up after the first 6 episodes
  • FINALLY!

I am so happy that I FINALLY found a good sci fi show! Can't wait for the next season to start.
  • It grows on you..

I've watched so many promising sci-fi series get canceled too soon, just as they are getting good. I'm not sure why sci-fi series gets cut so easily compared to other genres, but I do hope this one wont be. I didnt think very highly of it the first few episodes of season one, but after that it's been getting alot better.
  • robvi

I'm surprised at some remarks for this show from people who say they read/watch a lot of sci-fi. I've been a fan for 51 years. This show has holes in the story and rollout but for a tv show is well done. Comparison to Terra Nova is a laugh. There is no comparison to that tacky effort at sci-fi. Falling Skies is getting better as it goes and I enjoy it as well as other sci-fi friends.
  • Like watching seventh heaven gone sci fi, pure CRAP!!!!

Its hard to find a worse show in the gengre, I Thought Terra Nova was the lowest of the low until I saw Falling Skies. Conservative bs all the way in this one..........
  • More Real

This series is more like the reality of what might be happening and may not have enough violent action for some people. However, I love it for its honesty and truth and complexity. It's fun and engaging and the characters and situations have time to develop. Those who don't like it are probably looking for instant stuff everywhere. Everything cannot be settled in an hour.
  • Enjoyable and engaging

I think its a pretty solid series for Sci-Fi fans. The dialogue can be predictable, the characters have been a little unconvincing but they are definitely fleshing out now that they're 18 episodes in and the storyline is getting more interesting and possibilities of developing multiple arcs now that Ben has left. This is a great chance to take the story into different directions much like a lot of the best series have done before. If you only follow one story arc with one set of characters you're not expanding the depth.

The Wire, Game of Thrones, Caprica, Battlestar Galactica, they all had different story arcs that inter-crossed with each other and it makes the series seem so much bigger. Thats my major criticism. I applaud the network for sticking with this, it takes time to develop characters and story you have to invest to get the most out of something, and for that matter so do the audience.
  • Idea is great!!! execution is mediocre

it drives me crazy that they walk around yelling "YAHOO" in the pharmacy... park their bikes outside the main entrance together (standing up)... leave maggie sittin on the front stoop right out in the open... drive their vehicles around at night with their lights on and not blinded (covered except for small slits)... travel in a huge group together when they move... have open fires in 55 gallon drums... practice shootin guns near their camp.... just act like everything is normal, i mean right after the mechs had passed by and they get out of the car and are talking in regular voices not even whispering or sticking to the buildings for cover... even while the mechs were going by, they were in the car talking and laughing... it's just so frustrating to watch... i really want to like, no love, this show because it's a pure sci-fi type of show and is right down my alley... but i'm ex military and this is crazy how these people act in a behind the enemy lines situation.. drives me nuts and makes the whole experience sour for me...
  • How long will it last?

Falling Skies is a good Sci-Fi show, which means since it's not on the SyFy channel it's going to get cancelled, I know that I may sound pessimistic but that seems like what happens to all Sy-fy shows that aren't on the Syfy network. I hope Falling Skies gets the ratings to stick around a while, but if it doesn't I hope that TNT atleast gives us an ending,which rearly happens on the network channels!
  • its greeat, come on people,

its greeat, come on people,
  • Drama?

I think it's a mistake to view this as a Sci-Fi series when this is clearly a well written Drama that takes place in a Sci-Fi setting. The reboot of V tried this and failed to pull it out of the Sci-Fi genre enough and it ended up feeling as flat as the cgi backdrops. I believe Falling Skies has a good balance of the two, but it's the plot and writing that keeps me coming back. Some very good actors in this too.
  • When its gonna stop?

so the show is based on misunderstandings now? We will feel so stupid and weird all this season?
  • Cheese

While the premise of the alien invasion is a good one, and the biological twists of the harnesses and taken children drive the plot, the two main characters are so obnoxious the show is about unwatchable. The Captain such a flat character and reacts in illogical ways for a trained military officer. The directors try to squeeze in so much military jargon that it seems out of place.
  • A decent Sci-Fi series

TV has tried (and failed) to bring a Sci-Fi series about the possibility of an alien takeover of the Earth, but now Steven Spielburg & Robert Rodat has somewhat managed to take on this challenge & has come up with a series worth watching.

Falling Skies takes place after an invasion by aliens who not only manage to decimate civilization, but also enslave humans through biomechanical means for whatever sinister purposes the aliens have in mind. But it also tells the story of a militia, the 2nd Mass who are fighting back the aliens in order to survive.

The cast includes Noah Wyle as teacher turned soldier Tom Mason, Moon Bloodgood as Anne Glass, a one-time doctor who is the militia's medic & Will Patton as Weaver the commandant of the militia leading the battle against the invaders.

This is a good Sci-Fi show, even though some detractors might be put off by its slow pacing & their critiques of "Been There, Seen That" in terms of post-invasion Earth that plagued other series such as V & War Of The Worlds. What do these people expect, Star Wars?

All criticism aside, this show is one of the few TNT original series that's actually worth watching, if given the chance. Detractors, be damned!
  • It has potential

This show has potential, but it unfortunately has very annoying aspects.

First, there's the annoying character of Captain Weaver, whose facial expression and tone of voice never change (I know it's intentional, but it doesn't make sense, it's bad, melodramatic writing) and the actor who plays him, Will Paxton, apparently cannot pronounce the letter "S" properly, which is extremely annoying. The guy from "Avatar" and the defunct "Terra Nova" would have been a much better choice.

Then there's the stupid Catholic girl who keeps her faith and encourages everyone else to do so. The religiocity of this show is idiotic. Proof of life that is not from Earth would essentially disprove the Bible, and Catholicism, since the Bible and Catholicism (and all religions, for that matter) claim that god made one world and one species of sentient life.

At least they had the sense to get rid of that annoying 13-year-old from the first episode (the one who called the dog and drew fire). He was a terrible character idea.
1 2 3 4 5