Falling Skies

Sunday 10:00 PM on TNT Premiered Jun 19, 2011 In Season

VConn

Falling Skies Fan Reviews (116)

• I feel this version of the aftermath of an alien apocalypse is off to a great start and is thus far better than most others in the genre.

I recently received the Falling Skies press kit in the mail. In preparation for discussing the episode on the Falling SkiesCast, I have had the privilege of watching the two part series opener that will air June 19, 9 pm - 11pm, and the following episode that will air June 26, from 10 pm - 11pm (the regular time slot).

I thoroughly enjoyed these first three hours of the show. I have watched many sci-fi shows and movies and I feel this version of an alien apocalypse is off to a great start and is thus far better than most others in the genre. In many ways the story is a familiar one; however the team behind Falling Skies has done some amazing things. This is definitely a different take on the similar storyline that you have probably seen elsewhere. There are some twist and turns through this first part of the series. There are some unanswered questions from the beginning, but we are given most of what we need to know about the events leading up to then series with the opening voice over.

The acting is top notch, even from the child actors. I think one of the most important aspects of these episodes is that I felt a connection to these characters early on. The characters are fleshed out, they feel like real people which makes the various dangers they face have added tension.

This show has the look and feel of a major motion picture. The CGI looks really sharp for a TV show, but is not over used. The score adds depth to the stunning visuals.

If you are a sct-fi fan or not, I think that you should check out this series. Many non-horror fans were rewarded with great television by watching the Walking Dead, and I think the same will be true of Falling Skies. This story takes place during the alien invasion of the earth, but it's really about the characters and their story of survival, much like the Walking Dead.

One small thing that reminded me of the Walking Dead is that different people have different names for the aliens, much like different people had different names for the zombies (walkers and geeks).

I know this article is broad without much details about the storyline. I was instructed in the press kit to be sure not to spoil any of the surprises of the show due to the mysterious nature of Falling Skies. On my site and in my podcasts, I will not seek to spoil anyone on these episodes or for future episodes of Falling Skies.

Thanks,
    Jimmy in GA from the Falling SkiesCast - The First Podcast Dedicated to Falling Skies
  • Like watching seventh heaven gone sci fi, pure CRAP!!!!

Its hard to find a worse show in the gengre, I Thought Terra Nova was the lowest of the low until I saw Falling Skies. Conservative bs all the way in this one..........
  • Waste of time

Bad acting, bad story....gave up after the first 6 episodes
  • I had high hopes and they were dashed

I'm afraid I gave up on this one within the first couple of episodes. Too many things irked me. Firstly, it seems that when the world ends all the womenfolk go back to raising the kids and cooking the meals. Apart from one token female soldier. Secondly, aliens who arrive when the plot wants them to and pretty much vanish otherwise. Despite our heroes setting up a huge camp in a field and trundling down the middle of a main street complete with cars and tanks and other noisy engines - in broad daylight - it seems they were invisible to alien foot and air patrols. Thirdly, they tried to use the dog as live bait. Yes, I know the kid leapt out at the last moment to rescue it, but it was made pretty clear the adults took a dim view of him doing so and that the actual plan had been for the dog to die. Sorry, that was it - I was out of there!

But, you know, I'm always happy to see the fans of a show get more. I don't like it, but if you do - congrats and enjoy!
  • Battleground Galactica

2.5
    You need to bring something of your own to the table if you want to keep me watching your Sci-Fi show and I am sorry to say that this show that I was excited to hear about when I first heard about it does not. All it does is take the aliens from District 9 and stick them in a dull retread of ground that was already covered in Battlestar Galactica. Unless the idea of seeing BGS with a worse cast,duller stories,characters that don't have nearly as much depth,and with people walking around instead of flying in spaceships appeals to you,avoid this show. It's just a really dull rip off of BSG with nothing of it's own to bring to the table. If you have heard of this show and thought you would like it do yourself a favor and just watch BSG instead. I am not a huge fan of BSG but it is Shakespeare compared to this show. Sorry I wanted to like it but it was so dull and the characters held so little interest that I kept falling asleep while watching it,and I may be the world's biggest Sci-Fi fan.
  • First impressions of the new TNT series

Okay, first impressions of Falling Skies...REALLY GOOD!!!! TNT premiered it's new series, Falling Skies last night and it's treading on territory seen many times before. Despite no shortage of shows that take place in a post-apocalypse world, Falling Skies seems to benefit from a few key things.

Camera work and pacing: A quick pacing that only lets up to focus on character development. Which turns out to be interesting surprisingly. The band of survivors is led by Noah Wyle who drew me to watch this show in the first place due to his work on ER and I found myself pulling for them in no time at all. A few times I noticed odd camera angles and thought they were creative and well timed.

Aliens/Alien Invasion: Despite invasions being done to death in television and film, Falling Skies brings Mechs and Skitters. Aliens and their robot cohorts have decimated earth's population and has survivors on the run. What I found especially interesting was the alien enslavement of children via a device attached to the neck/back. It seems that this plot line plays a huge part in the development of future episodes. I noticed this via comments made by the characters and previews of upcoming episodes.

A co-worker of mine said he watched the premiere and his reception was lukewarm. I really liked the first two hours although I would have to say it picked up in the second hour with the introduction of villian(?) John Pope. To those on the fence, I say give it a chance. I have high hopes that it will continue to improve all the way to it's tenth episode season finale on August 7, 2011.
  • SEASON 4 .......................... POSSIBLY THE WORST SEASON OF ANY SHOW IN TV HISTORY (I GIVE THE ENTIRE SHOWA 5 BUT SEASON FOUR GETS A 1)

I have wrote forhours describing how bad and how ridiculous and how detached this awful last season is, but i will save it, and i will watch the ending of season 4, becuase i care about knoledge and you do not know just how bad a show can be without seeing this season. OM MY GOD THEY ARE GOING TO THE MOON, AND THERE IS A HILARIOUS ALBINO FANTASY GIRL BREAKING i get panic attacks when shows are this bad.
  • i like it

don't pay attention to these bad reviews. if you like sci fi and aliens there is nothing better on tv.
  • Woweee!!

i never expected falling skies to be this good .
    before i watched it i read the reviews here and i expected nothing less than a dissaster, it was not.
    for a tv show that rquiers a huge budget they were able to make it very realistic , it feels like you the viewer are in a postapocolyptic time.

it could even be better than the walking dead.. could be. the acting is great , the directing is magnificent for a tv show also the aliens did not look as fake as i expected..
    i only saw the first 2 episodes and they were great and they ended with a promise that this show is truly uniqe . if you haven't seen go see it. i highly reccomend it.
  • If you liked Super 8, Close encounters, Firefly, Terminator, or Walking Dead- Falling Skies is everything you ever wanted. Why would I lie? Put simply, it delivers. FURTHER PROOF: my wife loves it. Scifi that you can watch with your wife is TV GOLD!

I beg the writers to read this. Keep on keeping on. So, if a couple folks give you some thumbs down, you are making some pretty great art here. Your act breaks are tight and you are allowing your character's personalities, pasts, and motivations be revealed over time. Reviewers haven't you ever heard of story arcs before?! Give it time. Also, as a soldier/writer, I can write that you have the militia aspect of essentially Guardsmen soldiers down pat. You've got it. I thought this episode "Grace" was great. It moved the overall story forward and we learned more about the characters. Also, the eye candy explosions are awesome.
  • Awesome show. 2 hour premier was kinda slow but after a few episodes I am hooked.

I started watching this show a few days ago. So far I am at episoded 6. The aliens in this show are really well done. They have a lot of detail. I think the acting is fine. The characters are interesting enough. Each episode has gotten progressively better. I am really hoping they will renew this for a 2nd season.
  • DirecTv finally got theirselves another science fiction series since X-Files.

DirecTv finally got theirselves another science fiction series since X-Files. Wow! Falling Skies is one quite interesting entertainment science fiction series, involving around alien invasion the universe. It's great see something different for once isn't by the halloween supernatural pack. Oh, Man! I most definitely see Falling Skies quite similar to X-Files.
  • I honestly do not know what people are thinking when they rate this show badly.

First of all if you do not like science fiction then why on earth are you watching this and second if you expect this series to have the budget of a movie that is produced for over a year by a large crew, just because Spielberg is involved than you are, well, dumb. This is a series people 40+ minutes every week, what do you expect? I think this is a very good show and I have enjoyed every single episode. The characters have developed since the pilot, the story is unfolding quickly enough, there is action there are some special effects... what else do you need?
  • One of my fav

What can I say I like this kind of show. It has a good story, solid characters and the action is good enough for someone like me...
    I think people are more important then aliens getting blown up!Don't get me wrong i like that too and for me it's has it's fair share of blowing up skitters and macs!
    I think it has a perfect balance!!
  • If a show gets your heart bouncing while watching, it's just a damn good show!

Heart thumping in my throat several times... honestly!
    I think it's really growing and it gets more and more exiting with every episode. How can you watch this and not want to know how it ends???

And as for all you out there that hates on this show 'cause of its lack of realism... If you want reality, watch the news and don't even try si-fi!

Falling Skies is Awesome!!

And as for the 'Lost' comparisons...
    I loved 'Lost', but didn't like how they finished it.
    Falling Skies feels like it has more sense of direction so far! So! Keep it up!! Lovin' it!
  • Falling Skies More Ludacris Every Day

Every time I watch this show it gets more and more random. It's like the writers were at a complete loss as to what to do this season. Even the fansite at http://falling-skies.org struggles to say anything positive about the series or the episodes so far. It's easy to understand why the ratings have been falling and if this show is renewed for a 3rd season it will be unbelievable!
  • As plausible as you could imagine, given we don't have REAL ET aliens carousing the planet.

OH, COME ON PEOPLE! IT'S A FRIGGIN' SHOW ON TV! There are state-sponsored enemies of our country that have the capabilities of knocking out our telecommunications infrastructure. Undoubtedly some of the nay-sayers of this show will believe "reality" shows are just that- REAL. Get a life.

The characters' personalities are pretty much what you find in a war-time mode; there are people who will fight, there are those who won't, and worst of all there are people who will help the enemy. If you've never been to war (I wouldn't recommend it for the average person), you haven't seen this.

Bottom line: IT'S JUST A TV SHOW.
  • How long will it last?

Falling Skies is a good Sci-Fi show, which means since it's not on the SyFy channel it's going to get cancelled, I know that I may sound pessimistic but that seems like what happens to all Sy-fy shows that aren't on the Syfy network. I hope Falling Skies gets the ratings to stick around a while, but if it doesn't I hope that TNT atleast gives us an ending,which rearly happens on the network channels!
  • Just awful

I can't believe this show is getting another season. I recently watch the last few episodes on my DVR and it was a torture. The hardest part was keeping my eyes open. With all the family hugs, many episodes had no time for actual aliens. The whole premise is unbelievable - the aliens killed off 99.9% of the world's population in the first 10 minutes but they can't deal with this ragtag poorly armed group of survivors? Puh-leez!
  • camerawork please

3.5
    What's with the all shook up shakey iphone like camera work for ALL the scenes in Falling Skies. That type of lousy videography is WAY overdone. I thought you used GOOD cameras for TV work. I doubt I will continue watching something videoed with an iphone. I hate bad camerawork. It isn't very realistic, no matter how hard you try, and distracts a LOT from the story line. That's why I quit watching Stargate Universe at the 2nd episode. Better camerawork needed.
  • Cheese

While the premise of the alien invasion is a good one, and the biological twists of the harnesses and taken children drive the plot, the two main characters are so obnoxious the show is about unwatchable. The Captain such a flat character and reacts in illogical ways for a trained military officer. The directors try to squeeze in so much military jargon that it seems out of place.
  • Set in the months after an invasion of aliens and the fall of civilisation, we follow a small group of survivors as they hopelessly try to survive in the chaos and misery that has become their reality.

With the Dead numbering in the hundreds of millions and countless children enslaved to work for the invading forces we are faced with a world without hope.

The story of the 2nd Massachussets is told primarily through the eyes of Tom Mason (Noah Wyle), a professor of military history and the now 2nd in command of the 2nd Mass.

Mason has lost his wife and one of his three sons in the conflict, but it is Mason's knowledge & beliefs that fuel the motif. He constantly reminds us that guerrilla tactics have succeeded in the past and thus, there is hope.

I've found Falling Skies impressive for the most part, in painting a realistic picture of an alien invasion aftermath. This series reminded me of the original V miniseries, with focus on the individual struggle and human weakness.

Cerebral, dramatic and low budget (just like ST:TOS) we are given very little in the way of special effects but the plots and scripts are great.

*Spoilers ahead*

Of note is the several different types of aliens; Skitters, eight legged minotour like creatures. The Harness, a symbiotic & possibly sentient creature. Walkers, mechanical bipedal machines and The Skinnys - of which little is known.

Light years ahead of the new V (god bless Morena B) this show is bare bones - but we really cant expect much more these days (Terra Nova being the rare exception) - what it lacks in CGI it more than gains in grit.

With that said the final scene of the finale was wrong on so many levels. We are told that the Aliens cant locate numbers less than 300 yet they pinpoint Mason. I'm not entirely sold on this.

The final battle at the school with the radio frequency weapon seemed contradictory and rushed. It was cool but poorly edited. I didn't understand why none of the robots shot at the flag pole. They are an advanced race.???

This is the new type of show we are being offered, 65% drama, 25% action and 10% scifi. It seems to have the same treatment as SGU and the same poor reaction from scifi fans.

Well worth an hour a week.

• american tv

all american sci fi tv programs are the same. how easy is it to be a writer. season one you fight the enemy season two alsways against humans season 3 a combination of both. walking dead went same way, jericho, 4400, loads more i cant remeber right now but all the same
  • Falling Standards

What was an epic sci-fi event has become a direction-less soap with clichd cardboard characters. What went wrong? All through series 2 I kept waiting for the padding to stop and some kind of reveal to happen. But nothing did. The padding went on and on and on. Like a horse designed by committee, this camel wandered into the desert and expired from lack of meaningful script.

I stopped watching as soon as they replicated (verbatim) the star-child plot-line from the original V.

How it kept going when better series were cancelled is beyond me - Intelligence, Believe; even Dracula was better than this!
  • I'll wait...

For now I gave it a now! Not that fascinating! We'll see!
  • Not amazing, but not bad

I like that series. I think you don't have to look to It like a "great sci-fi series", but like a enjoyable Alien series you can watch on Sundays. I like the cast and to be honest, after see a stupid series like Terra Nova, watching Falling Skies is a good entertainment option.
  • XCOM: the series! YAY!!!

Seriously! It might as well be... (or at least UFO: Aftermath, but then I loved that too...)

I didn't know if this one was going to get past it's first season, not because it wasn't any good but because it was a sci-fi series that was actually a nice and even balance of drama AND action! The emphasis on drama that some shows have stuffed down our throats has left me callous, while Falling Skies, especially now in to Season 2, has left me really rooting for the characters and truly shocked when one of them buys the farm (S2E07 Homecoming, for example - I really thought he was going to last a little longer).

I want more of this. I want this to go the distance and give us all the fun and thrills that we've come to enjoy from a series that managed to avoid any sense of pretentious chuff. :D
  • When its gonna stop?

so the show is based on misunderstandings now? We will feel so stupid and weird all this season?
  • It's pretty good

I loved the first two seasons of this show, I still like the show but thats after realizing that you need to watch it with an open mind. A lot of crazy stuff happens (ex. Tom walking from Boston to South Carolina in a couple days) but if you just enjoy it for what it is, Its really good: )
  • Pretty good start

i think that this may end up being one of those shows where you either hate it or love. I personally thought that the pilot was pretty good, and i think im gonna give this shows a chance, and probably watch for the season.

If this show is done good then, it had the potential to be a hit, because the idea behind it is great, but if it's done badly, it'll just turn into another action/drama about aliens attacking earth. But i think that it has a good cast, and strong characters, and the idea behind the show is good so i hope it ends up being a good show.
< 1 2 3 4