Falling Skies

Silent Kill

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Jul 10, 2011 on TNT

• Episode 5: Silent Kill

So Ben the plot device is rescued (finally). Turns out they wont be trying to save him for the whole season, which is nice - they can do something proper for the rest of the season now.

This episode suffers from two problems: firstly, everyone seems to have a tragic past, and secondly, the good ol' pacing problem is back.

The two leading ladies got some screentime and apparently something that's called character development in this series. Margaret puzzled me: I liked her scenes, but I don't really understand where they're going with the character. Are they trying to develop some kind of lame love triangle between her, Hal and the missing (but surely soon-to-reappear) Karen? Margaret's cancer might explain some of her current attitude, but that was pretty pointless otherwise. Why couldn't she be a bad-a$$ just for the sake of it?

A few episodes ago I said that Moon Bloodgood was maybe the only good actor/actress in the bunch. Well, I take that back. I don't know if it's the idiotic script or her performance, but I just laughed at her scenes. First the totally out-of-place "sweetheart talk" and then her breakdown after killing the skitter.

Captain Weaver is yet another one with a haunting past - what a shocker. Turns out he can't listen to some particular record any more, because... well, who cares?

And then to the pacing. The first half is basically just lame build-up to the rescue operation, but that's over faster than you can blink your eye. And again the episode ends some 7 minutes before the actual ending; in the final act all we get is people talking and the lamest "Dad?" ever. Don't get me wrong, I like good drama, but when the acting and script is at the level it is, I'd much prefer some nice action sequences.

Oh, and Doc Harris died. My reaction: meh. And Pope didn't appear, that was a shame.

With half the season gone, there's still half to go. I'm going to watch the rest, as it's just five episodes, but unless there's a dramatic improvement in quality, I see no reason to watch the recently announced next season.