Falling Skies

The Armory

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Jun 19, 2011 on TNT

• What a waste of time.

I absolutely hate when shows don't know what they want to be. I started watching Falling Skies because I wanted to watch an alien invasion show. How the writers seem to think that the entire planet being overrun by aliens and most of the adult population being killed and the children being enslaved isn't enough of a dramatic story is beyond me. No, they decide that instead of focussing on the core of what the show is about and what drew their viewers in to begin with, the alien invasion, that in the second hour of the premiere episode, they should abandon that altogether and waste our time with an outlaw gang led by a complete jerk who we care nothing about. Then after getting us to hate him for the whole hour, they set it up at the end for him to become a series regular. Newsflash writers, if you spend the whole hour making us hate him, we don't care if he's going to become part of the team. All you succeed in doing is angering us and make us think what a waste of time and reevaluate whether we want to continue watching the show at all. In the first few episodes you need to show the viewer what the series is going to be about. Most of us tuned in thinking it would be about fighting an alien threat but after this episode, we're left wondering. There are a whole lot of other shows whose focus is outlaws and criminals. We have a lot of other options who frankly do it better if that's what we're looking for. We watch this show for the alien invasion and the human struggle to triumph over it. You gave us virtually none of that in the first double episode. Today's television landscape is very competitive and if you don't hook the audience in the first few episodes, you're gone. The producers of the show should seriously think about firing whatever writers thought this was a good storyline idea. The only hope it had for working was if the payoff was worth it. Granted, we got what seems to be a potentially great character in Maggie, but they've also now saddled us with a complete moron (the gang leader whose name escapes me) who all in all wasn't really worth it. They didn't need to waste an entire hour to add these two characters to the roster, it could've been handled in ten minutes tops and then the focus could've gone back to the main plot. In series like this the alien invastion storyline is the star, the characters and their relationships are secondary. Walking Dead is a show that has parallels to this one and they clearly understand that concept. The zombie apocalypse is always the main focus of the show and the characters and their back story and personal lives are gravy on top of it all. That is why it is so tremendously successful. If the Falling Skies team doesn't grasp that concept quickly, they'll be off to television heaven very soon. I'll give it another shot, but if they waste my time like they did in this episode with meaningless and gratuitous plot twists that do nothing to advance the main storyline, I'll never watch again and not miss it in the slightest. Just my opinion.