Falling Skies

The Price of Greatness

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Aug 12, 2012 on TNT

• The Price of Greatness

The Price of Greatness was a superb episode of Falling Skies and I enjoyed watching as The 2nd Mass integrated with the other survivors in Charleston. There was a lot of tension and things were not what they appeared. There was some great character and plot development. No real alien action unfortunately though the rebel skitter wanted to make contact. I liked how every thing played out and found the turn of events interesting. I certainly look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • Exploring The Politics of Survival En Mass: A Big Showdown is Coming.

Falling Skies first season had its share of slow spots mostly due to introspection into the back stories of the various players. Viewers responded with the show's shaky following. Episodes dealing more with the conflict between the invaders and the resistance faired better , Falling Skies second season followed with that in mind and has been uniformly a more engaging watch. Perhaps this building was a neccessary part that had to be addressed, yet that doesn't diminish when Falling Skies is too heavy in politics and human stories it ends up just seeming watered down.

The episode here ("The Price of Greatness") isn't particularly compelling from an action point of view, but it is important in setting the stage for what follows. The human drama is handled better, probably due to the knowledge of how it faired in season one. Thanfully, the impending showdown between the 2nd Mass and the new budding government is inevitable and begins unfolding immediately. The political slant taken on by the leader of the acting government, played by Terry O'Quinn (the enigmatic John Locke from LOST fame), is highly suspicious. It seems Arthur Manchester's role in leading the new government is shrouded in a mystery the only part of which seems clear is that they are taking a "live and let live" approach in their belief if they don't provoke the aliens the new government will be safe. Things get sticky fast as the 2nd Mass knows this is all wrong. We know this group of politicos are hiding something and that they're just as dangerous as the enemy...what this is remains to be revealed.

So, basically a transitional episode, with no action other than the human drama unfolding. The stage is, however, set for a major internal conflict and a much larger end result. Unlike the first season's slow episodes with plenty of boring back stories, this one is a needed jumping off point for what should promise to be major action. In the end it was handled pretty well if a bit clumsy. Now we are ready for some fast paced changes promising what Falling Skies has shown it can truly deliver. The finale should be a no holds barred affair at cementing a third season where action is to be, finally, the standard.
  • Decent guest of the guests, conventional story, educative topics, excellent character development (Spoilers)

How vicious ! We had to wait nine freaking episodes for Terry O'Quinn guest performance ! I wasn't highly expecting it, I was craving for it ! He blew my mind as John Locke in Lost and his fascinating role all season 6 leaded me to constantly jaw drop and specially when I watched the cult Sundown ! So I'm definitely obsessed with both the actor and character. You can call me Alicia Baker I don't mind. Seriously his role as Arthur was interesting but not as captivating as I hoped it would be. As often I blame the conventional writing as all along I wondered where the sci-fi elements were. An underground base turned into a city with an upcoming election ? Just read George Orwell's Animal Farm. I'm into politics but there were many other exciting and surprising ways to develop the plot. What about a fake society, some sort of hallucination created by a guild of overlords ? It would have at least mirrored the elegant reference to The Matrix when John Pope tasted his succulent meal. From the red apples to the meat everything should have been a fantasy ! Or the aliens could have found a way to control people without harnessing them or at least better hide the devices like in The Puppet Masters ! To sum things up the events they experienced weren't bizarre enough.

Still diverse topics were covered and it can only help us better understand our own world. As for the character development it was excellent. First Tom had a hard choice to make again and as expected he didn't disappoint when Arthur was his mentor. Second the Captain's girl speech was feminism powered and I just love these moments when women shine on TV ! Third, Anne rocks ! She didn't let Doctor Jerk dominate her and quickly set things straight. Last but not least I have received complains that I'm not a Maggie fan but this time I really enjoyed what Hal told her. Let's put your mistakes in the past and move on together. Have my back ! What's the point of punishing yourself ? Now let's just hope she'll die in the finale to make some room for a hot geeky brunette specialized in ninjutsu and juggling !

Note : This review was first posted on Kritikenstein, my weblog.
  • On Demand ???

I have Charter on Demand and this show episode isn't available yet. I also checked the Falling Skies website and it hasn't been posted there either. What's up?
TNT