Family Affair

Buffy

Aired Thursday 7:30 PM Sep 12, 1966 on CBS

• Bill Davis' brother and his wife were killed in a car accident a year ago and their three children were separated. Buffy and her uncle don't get along so she dropped on the doorstep of her Uncle Bill. He doesn't think he'll make a good parent.

This is by far one of the best episodes. Right from the beginning Bill's love for his neice is evident. I love the first words Buffy utters to her Uncle Bill. "You look just like my Daddy did." Just before that Aunt Fran is coaching Buffy on what to say to convince her Uncle Bill to keep her, but Buffy follows her heart and says what she feels. The comedy is also evident when Buffy bites Mr. French on the leg. Those of us in Canada miss that scene as it is cut out to allow for more commercials, but you can see it in the dvd version. The bedroom scene where Bill tells Buffy he is going to keep her is very touching. It really brings out the paternal side of Uncle Bill. It is the first of many future scenes where Uncle Bill talks to the children and makes them feel loved. Remeber these children spent the last year feeling unwanted. I didn't like the way Uncle Bill abandons Mr. French at the end when Jody is dropped off. It is very uncharacteristic of the Uncle Bill we come to know in future episodes, but then again he is just had parenthood thrust upon him.