Family Dog

CBS (ended 1993)

Family Dog Fan Reviews (5)

• a creepy show in my oppinion

I was very disapointting show in my oppinion. 1. it was made by two very creative directors and it was just depressing. I just couldn't get into watching a poor dog getting torchered by a unhappy dad, a weird mom, and two pschological siblings. It really isn't the worst show I have ever seen but it still was a pretty crummy show. Like for example, there was an episode when the dog goes homeless and then the family for once misses him. Then they find him and he is all happy to see him then like two seconds later there pschological to him again.
    i mean how is that funny.
    but the show is horrible though
  • A animated series that I miss.

This was a pretty good animated television series. As is normal with good television shows, this one did not last long enough. This is a show that I would suggest watching if you get the chance. Check the bargain bins at Wal-Mart, the online movies sites (Amazon.com and such) and all of the cable channels that run old shows. Nick at Nite and TV Land are great for theses kind of shows. They will even do a week long spot for shows that only had 6 or so episodes. Then you have your super stations. They run a bunch of old shows too. All in all a pretty good show that did not get a good enough chance. Sometimes it is a simple as the show it is up against. Look at Law & Order. It is one of the longest running shows on TV. They moved it to go up against Lost. After about 2 weeks of getting pounded in the ratings it was moved back to it's original time slot. Shows like this should be given more of an opportunity.
  • This is odd.

5.5
    I watched about two episodes. It doesn't make much sense to me. I consider it rare being for the fact it only lasted about a month, so I guess it's rare. I would have expected more quality considering the makers of this show. I can see why it ended very quickly though.
  • Can't remember enough

I remember watching Family Dog when it origanally aired with my mom and my two older brothers. It made us laugh so much. I remember feeling so bad for that poor dog and I kind of remember that the family was a little dysfunctional. I only got to see that episode maybe twice after that so I really can\'t remember to much more. I can tell you that Family Dog is a classic cartoon that everybody should see! And if anybody can tell me where I can find that episode please let me know.
  • Cartoon about a mischievous family dog and his unloving family.

5.4
    Family Dog was originally one of the better episodes of "Amazing Stories" (with an entirely different voice cast), this belated spin-off - the episode first aired in 1986, the series bowed in 1993 - suffered from numerous production problems... and it unfortunately showed in the finished product.

Brad Bird created Family Dog back in his California Institute of the Arts days. In 1987, Family Dog appeared as an animated episode of Spielberg's Amazing Stories anthology series on NBC-TV.

Flash forward to the early 90's after the success of the prime-time Simpsons cartoon, plans were made to make Family Dog into a series. Steven Spielberg and Tim (Beetlejuice) Burton were the executive producers and ten episodes were made. Bird's original concept of family life through the eyes of the dog remained, but Bird was involved in other cartoon work and unable to contribute further to the series so Spielberg took an active role.
    An unknown, Doug Coffin, had been cast in the role of the Family Dog's adult owner Mr. Binford. Coffin did an excellent job, but was replaced by comic actor Martin Mull in an effort to give the series more "big name" recognition. Comedy writer Dennis Klein, who knew nothing about animated cartoons, was brought in. Several episodes were produced, but Burton and Spielberg weren't happy with the finished product and shelved it for retooling. Spielberg spent a small fortune to beef up the quality of the series, even hiring Nelvana to come in and reanimate large parts of it. Eventually five of the ten episodes produced in 1992 were aired. They were scheduled on CBS-TV from June 23, 1993 through July 21, 1993 as a summer replacement series.

Failing entirely to live up to the presence of Spielberg and Burton, it was strained all the way and never more than mildly funny at best - the Binfords were even more uninteresting than they needed to be (even the housekeeper from "Tom & Jerry" had more personality than them), and Dennis Klein's scripts always credited Paul Dini and Sherri Stoner with "additional material," leaving creepy indications that without the help of those two genuinely talented writers the episodes would have been even worse. Even the usually great Danny Elfman wasn't up to snuff with his uninspired theme music (mind you, look at what he had to work with). As for the animation... it was by Nelvana. Enough said.

CBS pulled it after five episodes, but the UK cable channel Bravo showed all 10 episodes. To be honest, I remember this show as a child & loving it. I believe they also produced a game from it. Now as I watch it, older and have seen better animated comedys (The Simpson & Family Guys) this show is pathetic. You can sit through it, maybe find some parts entertaining, but for the most part you’re just hoping it will get better soon. And you always walk away being more depressed then you were before. Kind of fun to watch to visit memory lane…